Acting forums, all in one place

19,648 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2018

Help me get paid?

Hey yall, So I'm going to be auditioning for a local event's character cast next spring. I have about 9 months until the audition. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time, but I only recently found out though that returning cast are typically the only ones that get paid. Newcomers who get paid need some sor…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2018

MFA Programs in the U.K.

I’m graduating from college this December and, since I wasn’t able to pursue my passion for the performing arts during undergrad, I’m planning on spending the next year or two training and saving up for an MFA program at one of the U.K. conservatories. It’s been a dream of mine for years and, frankly, I’d like to treat…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2018

What are the rules regarding SAG members working on international productions?

How do international actors (say for example Mads Mikkelsen or Penelope Cruz) get to work on projects in their home countries in accordance to SAG rules and regulations? Do these international productions enforce and abide by SAG contracts? Say if I were a dual citizen who recently became a SAG member in the US, am I s…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Sep 27

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2018

Angry Roger/Nice Roger - Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

Last night I gave angry Roger a spin. Initially I had been doing Roger as a bit more mellow, a tad bit soft. Roger is a guy that left his wife (and dog) to move to London. As part of that he got involved with Judy, who initially said she wasn't going to London with him then decided to. While it doesn't say specifically…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2018

Showfax, self tape, practice

So I’ve been listening to a podcast and dig the idea of studying sides from Showfax and putting them on tape. (Audrey helps Actors podcast). My question is, should I send these to my manager to send to these casting directors? Put them up as clips or keep them as review?

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Sep 2018

Callback questions

I went to a commercial audition. I got a callback for 2 days later. 1) I keep seeing on the web that people say you should wear the exact same clothes. Is this really the right thing to do? 2) If they are casting, say, 12 roles, how many actors get called back? Said another way, if they auditioned 50 people for the fir…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2018

Do I have a bad agent or is this normal? I need advice please.

Hi guys I have been thinking bout this for a while and wanted to ask the community if I should drop my agent or if this is normal behavior... This might be kinda long, I'm sorry, I just really need advice and to get this off my chest. Okay so starting at the beginning, I just got out of school a couple years ago, I've…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2018

Tips on connecting with recent film graduates

Does anyone have tips on ways to make connections with film/cinematography graduates or new filmmakers who are looking to develop their craft? Just trying to find ways to be proactive as an actor and continue to keep the creative juices flowing by shooting some scenes and short films and what not but obviously I want t…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2018

Motivation (long question)

A year ago I decided I was going to put my all into becoming a screen actor (I’m 17). However, I couldn’t find any roles anywhere near me, slowly I started forgetting to check backstage.com and I lost motivation, it’s been a rough time, Anxiety disorder and OCD plague my life, I’ve been kicked out of sixth form (educat…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2018

Looking for advice from an experienced, working actor

Is anyone who is an EXPERIENCED, WORKING actor willing to open their DMs to me for questions? I'm at a point where I feel very lost and just want some advice when it comes to acting (some of the stuff that I'm lost about I'd rather not share openly). I don't know of any serious working actors in person, only other acto…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2018

My Guide to Becoming a Represented/Working Actor

This isn’t expansive, and it may be old news to a lot of folks since I only started a short while ago, but I wish I had a breakdown like this when I was getting started. I hope this can help someone. 1. GET PROFESSIONAL HEADSHOTS - I underestimated this in the beginning. I had 3 different sets of headshots from 3 diffe…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Sep 2018

Current TV Shows for Mid-20's Actors

What are some TV shows on networks/cable/streaming platforms in the US that are fitting for young adult and mid-20's actors? Asking for a fellow actor friend who is trying to find shows that they are a fit for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Backstage

Backstage · 25 Sep 2018

Here goes nothing...

Hey good people, I recently just finished Brene Brown's book "Daring Greatly" (an awesome read for anyone by the way, but especially actors) and I have been trying to put myself out there more and being comfortable with vulnerability. Alas, I would like to get feedback on my demo reel...

Backstage

Backstage · 25 Sep 2018

What to do, what to do, what to do??

Hey y'all My first post here! Okay, so a little background info of where I'm at right now acting wise, and then I'll ask for advice. Been acting for about 2 years, so still very green. Signed with two different agents for commercial and theatrical about a month ago. I...

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2018

2MinAudition Acting Competition

Hello! My name’s Jason and I’m an actor! I entered myself into an acting competition not too long ago and have made it halfway through! However, I’ve run into a bit of a snag. You see, the competition is run on votes, so the quality of the performance sort of takes a back seat if someone has a bunch of friends. Unfortu…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2018

Strange question about one's appearance...

I've been training to become an actor for a little while now. I'm thinking about doing background work just to observe what life is like on a set and learning about proper etiquette. I'm going to get my head shots done soon as well. Now, I have had a certain look most of my life. Especially with my hair. It's not long…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2018

Get My Book of Monologues/Scenes "From, A Homosexual Hazard" For Free!!

https://i.redd.it/th0e995v2bo11.jpg Hey everyone! I am so excited to share with you my latest book of 15 monologues and scenes of Gay men all telling their unique story. I was inspired by 'The Vagina Monologues' and wanted to tell a story of Gay men who are experiencing issues us Gay men face! And being an actor who is…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2018

Anyone out there with experience with Next Level Studios LA trip?

I'm growing increasingly frustrated with my reps (or more accurately, lackthereof) and am considering signing up for the LA Trip through Next Level Studios, which is basically a three day showcase for agents and managers in LA. Although I'm naturally dubious of the "pay to act" model, the limited amount I've read and h…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2018

Self-Tapes for $25 in Los Angeles!

​ Hey guys! I am helping actors do their Self Tapes. I provide everything you will need. Camera, audio, lighting, reader, etc. I am an actor as well and have done these hundreds of times. I can rehearse with you and be your reading partner until we get it just right. Editing included. You will have your audition…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Sep 2018

I got a callback but I don't need to prepare anything?

Hello r/acting! I'm not a long-time actor at all. I am fairly new to this. Anyways about a week ago I auditioned and got a callback. I am thrilled, but also very confused and have no clue what to expect! Outside of auditioning for a local school play I've never done any acting. I got a callback for the school play but…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2018

Do you work for yourself?

I know an actor who owns a children's party cpmpany and while it doesn't solely support them, it does help with flexibility since they dont have to work as much at a another job. Do you own a small business to supplement your income?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2018

What do you think are the main reasons why actors fail at becoming working actors?

Hey Guys! ​ Just wanted to share this with you all. Throughout my directing and coaching of actors, I've noticed that many performers end up not fulfilling their full potential because they made a few mistakes or had a few misconceptions that could have easily been avoided or at least countered if they would hav…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2018

Fellow amateurs, let’s make a feature in San Francisco!

**TLDR: I’m in San Francisco until late November. Let’s make a zero-budget, possibly terrible, definitely rewarding feature film!** **Disclaimer: If you’re a pro, you can stop reading now. This is almost certainly “beneath you”.** As my username suggests, I’m an aspiring actor from London. I’ve been trapped in the *“ha…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Sep 2018

Steering wheel acting? What is it?

So I listen to this podcast called lasculturistas with Matt Rogers and Bowan Yang, in this episode Chloe Fineman as a guest. They started talking about steering wheel acting and how actors use it to win oscars. They said Nicole Kidman uses it in big little lies and Elizabeth Moss did it in handmaids tail. I tried a sim…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 23 Sep 2018

Extras background vs Acting career

Hi everyone I am a Canadian actress, and my question is I am pursuing my career as an actress I have been landing lead roles, principle ect… If I did extra or any type of background just to make extra money or for fun would that effect my career, would I be typecast. I would never put it on my resume or IMDB. I still w…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2018

Best European Cities to Act?

Just curious, which European cities would you say are the best for actors? Besides London?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2018

DISCUSSION “What type of people are being casted most?”

What type of people do you guys see casting directors are wanting for roles? I would love to hear your opinions and see what type of people are in “flavour” at the moment. Please share and say where you’re located. MY PERSPECTIVE - I’m American but I’m based in London. I have noticed that the majority of castings that…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2018

Help for improvisation!

Hey guys, in a week i'm going to audition. It's for a TV show and it's all about improvisation. The show is about real actors who sit in front of a podium. There's one person who tells who are going to play and what you're going to play. So a couple of seconds are all you get for trying to think of some good things to…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2018

Does working for a professional haunted house count as acting?

First year working for them and I've been told I have great energy and projection. I've actually been moved from my original scene to a bigger one with more to do because I was considered a stronger actor (only downside was the mask they switched me in, very heavy and very hot underneath) I applied for this job because…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2018

Complex Sag global rule 1 question

I'm curious about what Union actors can do. Can a union actor act for free in their own web sketch? Can they collaborate on non union shorts and act in them for free? If you say no... Where does making YouTube videos come in especially since they can make money? Instagram videos? Facebook? Global Rule One states: No me…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2018

I'm a woman but I play male roles better

So I'm interested in acting but the issue is I play a better man than woman (which I am) I'm an amateur male impersonator, (and pretty convincing too) is it legal to have my acting persona be a man, or does my gender have to be public knowledge?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2018

There Are No Stupid Questions - Sep 22

Please feel free to ask any question at all related to acting, no matter how simple. There will be no judgements on questions posted here. Everyone starts somewhere. So ask away!

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2018

Any Experience with John Pallotta Studio?

Hey guys, So I'm an actor in Baltimore, MD and I'm considering switching from my regimen of private coaching sessions mainly because: 1. I'd be going from ($75/ 1 hr) of private instruction to group lessons at ($60/ 3.5 hrs). This is obviously more bang for my buck, and I feel that I don't necessarily need 1-on-1 priva…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2018

Hello Friends!

Just stumbled onto this community looking for a place to post a go fund me. I am an LA actor and I am apart of a group taking a small play from Dallas, TX to New York. I wanted to see if it was possible to post the information here or if there was a good suggestion on where to post it. We are just looking for some help…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2018

I made a website for acting and creative crew . Would love some feedback.

I made a website on the side of my other projects for actors, models and crew to showcase their portfolios and production skills to get cast/hired on projects. Talentspots.com It’s pretty similar to Modelmayhem and Backstage with some project matching alerts like Thumbtack (a site for services). Still working out some…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2018

How to professionally request off at your survival job?

I'm a server (cliché I know lol) and I'm fairly new to my job. I have to request off for a project as well as another job I have where I sing at events and parties (which is only a couple days every month) but I'm not really sure what to put as the reason why. I feel like saying 'film shoot' or 'I have to perform at my…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 21 Sep 2018

Tell me about your worst audition!

As an actor, I often feel like a moving target at auditions. So hopeful, so happy, so excited to work, but I've had my share of auditions that just went awful.  I had a CD scream at me coz she didn't like my costume.  I had another actor give me line readings.  I once had a director answer the phone during my very diff…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 21 Sep 2018

The Business Proposition

Couple of strong performances in this short film as one school teenager corners another in the Gents and tries to sell him his business proposition: Jay Penrake & Dam Adeyeye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQWB3KtJWgg&feature=youtu.be

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2018

I will help your IMDB STARMETER RANKING! Contact now before moderators get involved.

If you want to get famous, you have to take a chance. If you arent getting as many roles and audition calls as you would like, or simply want to rise in fame in the acting circles. Send this account a PM! I will improve your IMDB STARMETER ranking. Look people dont like the fact that some things make you go ahead in li…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2018

Moderator is deleting us! We help your career!! Career BOOST

If you want to get famous, you have to take a chance. We offer a proprietary algorithm to help BOOST your IMDB STARMETER. PM for more information! The IMDB STARMETER is an important number to producers, directors and casting agents while deciding on whether to cast actors and actresses in movies. While it may not guara…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2018

Manager suggestions for Developing Toronto Actor?

Hey gang! Does anyone have any managers they can suggest for Developing Toronto Actors? I don't even know if this is the right question since all managers I have seen from my Toronto colleagues on IMDBpro are from USA. What I hope to get out of this is a few roles and for them to push my agent towards sending me to mor…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2018

Request About Classes in LA

Hey team! I am an actress in LA. I have mostly film work under my belt, though I had a stage career before moving to LA. I have studied/been working in acting since I was 8 (now 30) and I have also taken classes at The BGB Studio, Lesly Kahn & Co (ongoing), and Anthony Meindl's Actor Workshop (currently ongoing). I hav…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2018

How to be a Netflix teen’s series actress?

I’m a university student. My biggest dream is to be an actress, but I don’t know the first step to my dream because I didn’t attend any acting school... I’m kinda asking this in desperate so it’s ok if you make fun of me :(

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Sep 20

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2018

Recently Launched YouTube Channel Created For Actors

Eddie Goes Hollywood is a new channel that's been created to offer actors what filmmakers have had for years on the platform. A channel where tips and tricks will be offered to actors on how to get acting work, auditioning, getting an agent and inspiration in general. Make sure you check it out. ​ To support and…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2018

How do I drop out of a project?

I had a agreed to be part of a production and shot one scene with them but lately they have just been not the nicest people to work with and it’s a for webseries. As a new actor I am looking for experience but they shot some of the scenes on their phone and I am not sure how great this is going to come out. I have a bi…