Acting forums, all in one place

19,648 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Sep 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Sep 13

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Sep 2018

Looking for NYC based bodybuilder-actors!

I am directing a play I wrote, called Gain!, that rehearses and performs September-October-November. It's about four young bodybuilders. Please let me know if you are interested in auditioning or have friends who might be.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Sep 2018

ACTOR'S LINK OPINION

The thing on Actors Access that charges? Has anyone taken advantage of it? If so, what were the results? I just want to get myself a bit more out there. Thank you for any and all opinions :) ​ EDIT- Talent Link is what it's called. I'm a dork. But still same question!

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Sep 2018

IMDb pro worth it?

All I need to do is adding my pic to cast page,is IMDb pro membership worth it? This is what’s happening. I was in the film project, director created my name for cast. I created my IMDb account, but my actor name is already exit cuz my director created as cast. So my own IMDb account can’t use same name as my actor nam…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2018

Getting SAG through extra vouchers (NYC)

I'm working on getting that sag-eligible status, I'm signed up for central casting and submit for extra work on casting networks. NYC actors how many of you have actually gotten your SAG card through extra work? If so how long did it take you, are there any shows that have a higher probably of getting vouchers from?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2018

I’m starting to feel like pursuing acting is just impossible if you’re working class

I haven’t been able to afford to even take an acting class is years, I’m stuck waiting tables because I’ve yet to find another job that makes enough money to afford LA / NYC that’s also flexible.... it’s like I’m free falling with no safety net and it’s just the worst feeling in the world. I truly don’t know how anybod…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2018

[CORRECTED DATE] AMA Announcement: Jeff Seymour Round 2, Friday 9/14 noon EST

Hey everyone, I mentioned this in another post but Jeff Seymour expressed an interest in doing another round of an AMA here so we're scheduling that for Friday 9/14 at noon EST. Jeff is an actor, teacher, and director with a podcast and a book about his approach. More info about him here: http://reallifeactor.com and h…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2018

Post-graduate school to get into acting?

I love acting, and I never got to major it in college. I want to be an actress, and I know I have the chops for it, so I want to pursue acting but unfortunately don't have classes in my area. If I were to choose a post-graduate school or masters program for acting, where should I go? I know there's a bunch of schools i…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2018

It's time! The Second Dual AMA between /r/Screenwriting and /r/Acting is right here

Hey actors, places (thank you places). Post your questions for screenwriters here, and [don't forget to head over to /r/screenwriting to answer their questions for us](https://old.reddit.com/r/Screenwriting/comments/9faqqd/dual_community_ask_me_anything_racting_meets/). **Don't forget to subscribe to both subreddits, y…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2018

Two film directors say I have too much energy

This is a criticism I have gotten twice when auditioning for small film projects in my area. They just say I have to much energy when reading my lines at auditions. I'm not really sure what this means whether I'm too loud or too excited? I've done almost all theatre work in the past 2 years so I'm not sure if that has…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 11 Sep 2018

New kind of casting app

Hello everyone!I’m a filmmaker and like many of my colleagues I was so frustrated by the talent search and casting process, that I decided to try to change that.I’m developing a unique casting and talent management app “StreetKast” and I need your help in spreading information about it and supporting my crowdfunding ca…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2018

AMA Announcement: Jeff Seymour round 2, Thursday 9/13 noon EST

Hey everyone, I mentioned this in another post but Jeff Seymour expressed an interest in doing another round of an AMA here so we're scheduling that for Thursday 9/13 at noon EST. Jeff is an actor, teacher, and director with a podcast and a book about his approach. More info about him here: http://reallifeactor.com and…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2018

When is it ok to detach from a project?

I’m having a huge dilemma. I (perhaps stupidly) got myself attached to a project without knowing much about it and am starting to regret it. I’ve never met the director, who lives in a different country and who (perhaps equally stupidly) cast me on the basis of a headshot and a recommendation from a mutual friend, who…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2018

YOUR TURN TO TALK...TELL ME WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT ACTING

Passion. It is what makes life worthwhile. Do you feel it? If you say you want to be an actor, you must have an overpowering reason. You’ve got to know it’s not the easiest job in the world. The odds are against you. Still you can’t give up the dream because it’s what you want more than anything else. Why? I do a lot o…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2018

Reel Talk - Sep 11

Use this post as a place to get feedback on your reels, ask questions regarding reels, post reels you've seen that you think are awesome, anything reel-related.

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 10 Sep 2018

Richie walls entertainment webinar masterclass series

Want to learn from the Daytime Emmy Award-winning producer, casting director, and talent manager Richie Walls? Join him for the two-hour masterclass series from the comfort of your own home and work on your auditioning, acting, and business of acting. Richie is currently producing a large slate and casting multiple pro…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 10 Sep 2018

Actress Looking for work

Hello Everyone! I'm an actress looking to get some film credits on my resume. If you know of anyone that is holding auditions for student films, or independant projects I am most certainly interested. Currently in school doing getting my BA in Performing Arts Theatre with a Minor in film. So most of the work that I hav…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2018

Getting into Film/TV as a 30+ Year Old

Hi there, I’ve read the sidebar and am looking at getting started on some of those suggestions (starting classes, etc.). There are a few nuances and pieces of advice that I’m hoping the r/acting community can weigh in on. This is a fairly lengthy post, so TL;DR - is there any sense in reaching out to agents with a head…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2018

Acting in St. Louis

Hello, I am an aspiring actor from STL. I am only 17 years old. Does anybody have any tips/secrets about where to go to find good bookings that are well known located in STL? I have an agent thats based out of the city, but they really dont help much. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2018

Tips for 12 Angry Men?

Hey, high school actor here. Not sure if this is the best place to post this so if there’s a better sub for this please let me know. Basically, auditions for my school’s production of 12 Angry Men are tomorrow and I’d really like to be either Juror #1 or #8. Does anyone have any tips for the show? Any experiences with…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2018

Acting with Aspergers?

I did admittedly post this on the Asperger reddit, but I felt I should revise it and post that here too as I’ve been seeing a lot of posts that have concerned me about the industry. I know that there are actors who are autistic, but I still feel like this needs addressing. My issue here is that for my whole life I’ve w…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2018

Does it matter where an actor graduates from?

First off I’m not in school to get an acting degree, I’m trying to finish up a degree in English. I might be able to finish up in a year, looking to transfer to finish my last year, then I’m looking into getting into a acting workshop. My concern is that I’ve taken my time to focus on other things such as work experien…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2018

Advice on good schools for acting?

I'm 16 years old and my dream in life is to become an actor. I've been looking at different schools to apply for to get started after I graduate high school. I've been leaning towards the New York Film Academy. Any advice?

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2018

Actors of Vancouver? Let's Connect!

Calling all actors in the Vancouver Area. Let me know you social handles because I'd love to get in touch and start developing a community!!

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2018

Announcing another dual AMA between /r/Acting and /r/Screenwriting, Wednesday at 3 PM!

#Time: **September 12th (this Wednesday), 3 PM EST** #Place: **r/Acting and r/Screenwriting** #Dress Code: **Underwear optional, but encouraged.** Hey folks! We did this once before with /r/Screenwriting and /u/1NegativeKarma1 and we want to give it another shot! **Don't forget to subscribe to both subreddits, you neve…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2018

Should I drop my community college acting course?

I’m in beginning acting 270 and the class is so boring. Will it help get me anywhere big? All we do in the class is play social games and practice weird things like saying your name aloud.

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Sep 2018

Do I Need a Fancy MFA?

Hey guys, I am an aspiring actress in San Diego. I am 23 years old and have limited experience in acting outside of one musical I did in high school. In the past year I've done two musicals and a play in community theatre and did a short student film (I have a full-time job so I don't have much time). My long term drea…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Sep 2018

Would folks be interested in another AMA from Jeff Seymour?

Hey everyone, you may remember (or maybe you didn't get a chance to see) Jeff's AMA from last month: https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/97jg0n/im_jeff_seymour_actor_director_and_author_of_the/. He expressed interest in doing another one soon and I wanted to run that by the community first. Since we don't do many…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Sep 2018

Do you ever worry you aren’t a good actor?

I watch all these interviews of actors I admire and they’re all so humble but they never seem insecure. Realistically I know I can’t be bad or else I‘d be getting way less work, but it’s hard not to let those thoughts creep in sometimes. Does anyone else feel like that ever?

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Sep 2018

How to make contacts/get called to a casting as an underage amateur actor?

Hi! So, I'm a 16 year old boy from Finland. I have had acting as a hobby for 9 years and last/this year I've been an extra in a TV-series (5 times). Also now I'm in a play in my hometown's city theatre(amateur theatre). I'm interested on becoming a proper actor so where/how could I find/make new contacts? How can I get…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Sep 2018

Any good acting podcasts?

Hey folks - I was wondering if there are any good podcasts about acting that I can listen to?

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Sep 2018

can a non actor ask a question?

when actors are having a conversation in the background, are they actually talking or just mouthing words. it looks so natural i have always wondered. thank you

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Sep 2018

There Are No Stupid Questions - Sep 8

Please feel free to ask any question at all related to acting, no matter how simple. There will be no judgements on questions posted here. Everyone starts somewhere. So ask away!

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Sep 2018

What's Everyone Working on This Week?

I just directed a huge shoot with a couple of my actor friends in Seattle at a big VR company. We all created avatars and went into separate rooms and joined each other inside Virtual Reality and went through the process of Auditioning, Rehearsing, taking an acting class, doing improvisation and doing a virtual perform…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Sep 2018

Moving to San Francisco for acting

Hey y'all I am currently moving to San Francisco just to be somewhere close in California where there is some major acting opportunities going on. I am very new to the industry and I haven't had a lot of opportunity here in Austin Texas. I am looking to see what types of groups are opportunities that will be in the are…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Sep 2018

Should I join LA Casting or CastingFrontier?

I've read so many bad reviews about LA Casting but I've met people on set claiming they get booked a lot from there. I already have a free account with Casting Frontier but I'd like to know if it's better if you upgrade or not. I'm mainly looking for commercial stuff.

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Sep 2018

Any good acting documentaries?

Are there any good acting documentaries out there? Whether it’s about the business, or getting into acting anything like that? I’m in the beginning process of getting into acting so I’m just looking for some help. I’d prefer if it’s on a streaming service but YouTube would also work.

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 7 Sep 2018

Tear apart my acting!

This is a minute and a half long monologue. If you have time to watch it and maybe give some feedback that would amazing ! Let me know if you have any monologues of your own. :)

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Sep 2018

Getting into character techniques

I wanted to know you guys techniques for getting into character. I can be in character and do a relatively decent job but I still feel like I have too much awareness of the fact that I’m playing a role and I’m in character. I try to let go and let the character take over but I’m kind of stuck

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Sep 2018

Friday Craft Discussion - Sep 7

Use this post to discuss any element of the craft of acting you wish. Have you learned something recently that's worked really well for you? Is there something you've been having trouble with and you need some help? Are you interested in an approach to acting but don't know much about it?

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Sep 2018

actor advice from the mind of a casting director

Hi everyone, I've been a casting director for 5 years and I distilled all of the beautiful wisdom I've learned into a 20 page pamphlet to help out up and coming actors. There's advice on headshots, submitting to roles, how Marlon Brando was able to get so fat for his role in Apocalypse Now, and so much more! If you eve…