Backstage · 9 Jan 2019
What skills are you working on?
What new things are you trying to learn? Or working on improving? If you could instantly pick up a new skill, what would it be?
19,650 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.
Backstage · 9 Jan 2019
What new things are you trying to learn? Or working on improving? If you could instantly pick up a new skill, what would it be?
Backstage · 9 Jan 2019
What are good starter agencies for actors who don't have a lot of credits to there resumes?
Backstage · 9 Jan 2019
Hi all! People with representation - do you still submit yourself for things on actor’s access? Could it become an issue if you’re submitting yourself for the same things that an agent/manager has already submitted you for? Thanks!! :)
Backstage · 9 Jan 2019
Question for y’all. I am SAG-AFTRA as well as EMC. I’m in a sweet spot where I can sister in to AEA at any time, I am only 1 week shy of the 25 week EMC requirement. This means I could take all types of contracts. Non union, EMC eligible,...
Reddit · 9 Jan 2019
Hello everyone! I hope this post isn't too redundant. Please bear with me: I am a part of a New-York based group working on a short animated film. We recently found a voice actress that we would love to have on our project, and when contacting her manager, we were told that we need to be under SAG-AFTRA in order to mak…
Reddit · 9 Jan 2019
Since Film, Television and Theatre are considered "Art Forms" do you believe that Actors are also considered Artists? Or do you believe Actors do not belong in the "Artist" category.
Reddit · 9 Jan 2019
I have a YouTube channel dedicated to giving tips and advice to beginning and experienced actors. So far most of my videos have covered auditions, technical aspects, dos and donts and practical acting business stuff, but I’ve read recent posts on reddit from actors looking for more technique related videos. (Breaking d…
Reddit · 9 Jan 2019
i've posted a few times before on here and met some cool people from this sub. I just moved here from NYC, finally settled with apartment & car, and I wanna start getting a team together to film shit. I'm primarily an actor but I can write, direct, and produce, apparently. I've done about 7 simple, no-budget shorts so…
Reddit · 9 Jan 2019
Hi everyone. This may be pretty lengthy but I'd appreciate any advice. I feel very lost in life and upset most days because I don't know which direction I'm going in. I'm currently in university and I hate it. Ever since I can remember, I always wanted to be an actress. It's a topic that I would revisit all the time, r…
Stage 32 · 8 Jan 2019
If you want to play leading characters on camera, remember this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lL1x6lHMds
Backstage · 8 Jan 2019
What is the best way to start/create a demo reel? Especially, if you don't have a lot of experience with speaking roles? I have mostly featured background work, but would like to start submitting to jobs and postings that require a demo reel. Thanks!
Backstage · 8 Jan 2019
So I'm in desperate need of a demo reel, but have been having trouble getting auditions for indie/short stuff on AA/Backstage. I have an (OK) agent, great headshots, solid resume with lots of training, but am stuck in the catch-22 of lacking a reel (and can't get auditions due to...
Reddit · 8 Jan 2019
Hi everyone! So next month in February I will have auditions for two colleges for their acting program in film and television. I am 23 years old with culinary management diploma and I’m ready to go back to school and become an actor. The requirements for the auditions are to memorize 2 monologues that contrast with one…
Reddit · 8 Jan 2019
Whether it's a network, basic cable, streaming.... what if you are a young actor with little experience. What's the typical first/second year salaries per episode?
Reddit · 8 Jan 2019
Hey guys I’m Mexican and I wanted to know what’s the deal for an actor on USA. I’m on my second year of acting and I’m planning to go and make my way there but I don’t know if I have a chance or not.
Reddit · 8 Jan 2019
I think it was after Meisner training that it became more apparent in my life offstage. Can anyone empathize? What advice do you have for me? If I get control over my emotions, will it undo work that I've done in Meisner? Edit: also maybe something important to mention, when I was in the later stages of Meisner, my fir…
Stage 32 · 7 Jan 2019
For those keen to see an improvement in the portrayal of women on screen, please take a moment to read my 1st article in a series on 'CREATING BETTER FEMALE CHARACTERS'. It is based on the insights of 50 professional actresses and other women in the industry.And feel free to promote wherever you wish. Thank you for you…
Reddit · 7 Jan 2019
Hello boys and girls, my company is looking for a voice actor but we don't really know where to start. Do you have any advice regarding websites, services or forums that we could use in order to find the person we need for the job? Thank you in advance!
Reddit · 7 Jan 2019
hey reddit! currently thinking about my career and there's a burning q I can't shake.. I'm a young black male actor who has dreads and I'm curious about my career prospects. i am currently still in college and I'm thinking about pursuing an acting career in earnest after graduating. ive had dreads my entire life and ha…
Reddit · 7 Jan 2019
Okay, so first I would like to say I don’t expect to ever become a Hollywood actress, especially with the very limited experience I have at 23, but I’ve always been into acting. As a kid, my mom never enrolled me in acting classes for whatever reason, even though I begged her. The few plays I tried out for at my elemen…
Reddit · 7 Jan 2019
My friend suggested I post this here. I've been acting for 10+ years (high school, college, and a little bit of local theater) in Oregon. Not Portland especially, but I worked on a couple productions when I was in high school (not important now) and one for Fertile Grounds (an opportunity for new plays) and one for a l…
Reddit · 7 Jan 2019
Titanforged Entertainment is looking for a voice actress to create dialogue voice-overs for characters. Our current project is a ***3D Multiplayer Tabletop RPG Game*** containing ordinary tabletop games but using characters instead of ordinary pieces. You can think of it as characters from a MOBA used as pieces for boa…
Backstage · 6 Jan 2019
We all know how nerve-wracking the audition process can be! If you could change any one thing about it, what would it be?
Backstage · 6 Jan 2019
Hey everyone, Hoping someone else has made the same mistake and can help me out... I was in a different market for a while and recently paid my union dues. I’m back in the city to audition this week and just realized my new AEA card is being sent out...
Reddit · 6 Jan 2019
It seems incredibly hard to find. I've gone to SAG-Foundation, Off Camera with Sam Jones, Audrey helps actors and more. It seems really challenging to find actors talking about how they break down a script and put on the amazing performances that they do. what gives?
Reddit · 6 Jan 2019
Hi! New-ish performance actor here. I'm starting a solo project called "Inception: A Passion Project" where I memorize and accurately recite the entirety of the movie 'Inception' in one shot, no edits, to a playthrough of the movie with the voices muted. I was wondering if there's anyone familiar with the adaptation in…
Reddit · 5 Jan 2019
An agent reached out to me a month ago about a meeting with her (this) January which is great, but I am a teen actor who lives outside of L.A. ( TX ) and my mom isn’t sure I should travel there for the meeting. I was hoping to sign with this agent for pilot season in order to get in rooms that I can’t get myself. What…
Reddit · 5 Jan 2019
I’m playing Theseus in my theater’s play of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, starting next week. I feel confident in my ability of delivering the role and all the lines beliavably, except for the opening line. If you know the story, you know that Theseus says the first line of the play. In our Finnish translation, the dialog…
Reddit · 5 Jan 2019
i came across an audition notice for a play, where there is a character aged in her 20s-30s. however they have stated that as it is a youth production, the age ranges "do not correlate to the required age of the actor". i don't really understand what they mean by this though. i'm 15 with an age range of around 13-17. d…
Reddit · 5 Jan 2019
My goal is to get signed to an agency this year. I have a hard time finding monologues that I feel really showcase and too classical. Some people recommend writing your own and getting multiple opinions, while some people say never to do it. Some people recommend using monologues from little-known shows, which I wanted…
Reddit · 5 Jan 2019
So I live in metro Atlanta and am getting started and I'm primarily interested in Character acting not so much audiobook reading or commercials, I've been auditioning for small fandub projects and things on Casting Call Club, but while I'm doing to that to get a bit of experience I need to find a coach or experienced a…
Backstage · 4 Jan 2019
What/Who are some of your favorite classes/teachers to help with rep for your book, whether it be recommending songs or practicing existing rep?
Reddit · 4 Jan 2019
I'm working on getting into doing voiceover, but I'm finding that I need to work on my acting abilities and my ability to dissect a script. I'm taking part in some plays locally, but the theater around here is VERY casual. Like, any ability is fine even if your 'acting' only consists of reading the lines in a funny voi…
Reddit · 4 Jan 2019
Kind of an odd question. I sent a short film to three of my agencies to see if it was worth putting on actors access. None of them have gotten back to me/aren’t responding to my request for feedback. Is there something I did wrong?
Reddit · 4 Jan 2019
Hi all! Brand spanking new actor with my first [acting headshots](https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8rl372bgz56a252/AAA9nAr5jjfYWiN-HIvkLOm-a?dl=0)! I went from 159 to 28. I know there are still too many to go through, but I really appreciate some feedback on which ones are good. The blemishes will be edited. I'd also appreci…
Reddit · 3 Jan 2019
I've been taking acting classes since I was little, and still currently take them now. I'm from Pittsburgh, and achieved something every theater kid from Pittsburgh dreams of... I got into Carnegie Mellon University for drama, but wasn't able to attend because of costs. I come from a pretty poor family, and college was…
Reddit · 3 Jan 2019
Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…
Reddit · 2 Jan 2019
I just signed up to Mandy yesterday and I'm building up my profile as part of my 31 day trial. I've filled in 83% of my profile, the last things I need to add are my headshots which I'm planning to get done, as mentioned in my previous post 'Choosing Headshot Photographers (London)' However, I'm quite surprised to find…
Reddit · 2 Jan 2019
Rachel, you see, I'm an actor! (Joey in Friends lol)...so I need a quality headshot. So, I did a google search earlier on looking for a number of professional photographers with whom I can get my headshots taken. I've found 7 that I've shortlisted which vary in price, but I know the common term is to spend on what you…
Reddit · 2 Jan 2019
Very much interested, thanks!
Reddit · 2 Jan 2019
(kind of a rant) I kind of messed up. Came to uni to study Drama and Film. I know nowadays a degree helps open a lot of doors, but in Drama and film, I feel the actual experience of working within would of benefitted me more so than learning about old practices. Absoloutley no technique. No growth as an actor, I entere…
Reddit · 2 Jan 2019
Hi everyone. So let's talk about FLAWS. I have a lot of them and I feel like they may be a great hindrance to my success in such a vain profession. I have a raised scar on the right of my forehead (Harry Potter style haha) and makeup helps a bit with the color but not texture. I often try to encourage myself by remindi…
Reddit · 1 Jan 2019
Hello fellow actors, Happy new year to you all! My question here is about joining an agency. I'm wondering what I would need to tell them and what they might be looking for in order to make them want to work with me?
Reddit · 1 Jan 2019
I'm not a voice actor, but I do voice over some narration for videos I make. I find however that I have very little longevity with my voice, and it gets pretty hoarse after a mere couple minutes. It also doesn't help that I start losing my breath as well, so when I speak longer sentences, it causes more strain, hence e…
Reddit · 31 Dec 2018
I moved to Atlanta recently for career and family reasons (and because honestly I lived in LA for almost a decade and never felt at home the way I did in Atlanta). Anyway, while I’ve been researching their client lists on IMDB Pro, I’m wondering if anyone had any personal or second-hand experience (good or bad) with th…
Reddit · 31 Dec 2018
Hello, ​ Does anyone know where I can get a sample acting cover letter? I have no experience out side of plays that I did in high school and a web series that I was on a year or two ago. I'm really trying to buckle down and become a working actor. Thanks!
Backstage · 30 Dec 2018
Who has done voice over/voice acting work before? I’d love to get into it and I’ve always been told I’d be good at it. I have a good USB mic (Blue Yeti) and a pop filter, now I just need to put them to good use. Any tips or stories...
Reddit · 30 Dec 2018
I'm in my late 50s. I want to be an actor. I've always wanted to be an actor, I just never admitted it to myself. After reading one article I see that acting can really improve my personal, as well as professional life! When I stop to think about this I realize that for better or for worse, I have always been an actor!…
Reddit · 29 Dec 2018
Heya fellow actors of reddit: ​ I hate that I have to make this post, I just really wanna pick all your brains. I am auditioning for Our Town with Emily in mind - and I want to find a monologue that fits the sort of life-nostalgic, reflective nature toward the end of the show. I have a couple monologues in mind…
Reddit · 29 Dec 2018
My mother used to tell me I should take acting classes. That was years ago. Now I'm in my late 50s, she is gone, and I want to be an actor so bad! I did have one very short acting role for an eLearning video. I did not speak. I did great! People loved it. But that was back in 2005. As I study acting online, it's occurr…