Acting forums, all in one place

19,650 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

Rural Area

I have been acting for quite a while now, about 14 years, in local play companies and would like to branch out into larger productions. My only problem is that I live in the absolute boon docks, about 1 hour from a large city, and have no possibility to move to Atlanta or Fayettville, GA. I could feasibly get a job as…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

Lets read scenes together!

I just had an idea to connect with other actors over skype to read scenes. Not for auditions, but just for practice. One of my acting classes I visited said to read as many scenes as possible to exercise those acting muscles. We can take turns finding scenes and just read them together whenever we're available! I'm dow…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

Hello, Reddit Can you please help me with Portfolio?

What kind of Photos should i click for my portfolio? Me and my friend we both are beginners, He is a photographer and i am an actor, We have good camera but we don't have studio we can do outdoor shoot only. Can anyone please tell me what kind of photos should i shoot for my portfolio?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

PAID: Casting Young Japanese Actress for Vampire Pilot

Hi Red C Media is a Philadelphia based Production company currently working on a television pilot for Neon Fangs, a moody late 80s Sword-wielding Vampire show. I am searching for a young Japanese girl (does not have to be full Japanese as the character is half Caucasian, but full Japanese also works) AGE: 3-10 but will…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

Performing naked - Penis advice

I'm happy with my pretty regular dick, but am worried that he'll shrivel up on stage if I'm nervous or I suppose even cold. What can I do to ensure he is in good form for an audience? ​ EDIT: Thanks for all the feedback. For context it's a nude poetry reading. I'm not an actor, I want to push against body image/…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

Casting Asian Actors for a Fan Film shot in the Houston Area

Hi this is Ambient, I am currently working on working on a fan film based on a classic sci fi Anime series. ACTORS MIGHT NOT BE PAID; DUE TO THIS BEING A STUDENT FILM. Lead Male Role: AGE 13-17 CHARACTER DESCRIPTION: Quiet, Timid and Shy ​ Lead Female Role: AGE 24-34 CHARACTER DESCRIPTION: Spunky, brave, but Imp…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

Promoting community theater

Please help (suggestions needed) Been trying to promote community theater. Like every other board member in charge of promotions/marketing I already have a real job so little ever gets accomplished. We have approximately 100k in population, a blue color county with multiple decent troupes and venues. I am tired of empt…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

How To Tell The Difference?

I want to first apologize for how this post may sound. I know its not going to come out the right way and might sound rude, but I'm genuinely curious, so I'll take the criticism. ​ How do you filter out the good film schools from the bad film schools, as far as final product for reels go? I have some great reel…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

Audition Tapes on YouTube

**Good actors often don't get parts.** The audition tape for Pretty Little Liars with Shay what's her name is awful. The audition tape for Zach Effron (I can't find it anymore) is awful. The audition tape for Blake Lively Gossip Girl bored me to tears. The audition tapes for Miley Cyrus and ScarJo were meh. The auditio…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jan 2019

Help with compensation

Hello everyone! Hope all is well. I could use you guys' professional opinion. I'm in the process of hiring a voice actor for a short film. They're reviewing the script rn, and I've been asked to provide an amount I'm willing to pay for this job. Gig specs: \- Predicted 1 day of recording, 2 if any extreme changes are n…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jan 2019

Best Self Taping Camera for the Traveling Actor?

Hi there! I'm doing my MFA in the UK currently and came into some money recently. I wanted to invest in some kind of camera that I can use when I get back in the game once I finish my program in July. Only problem is I have to be able to get it back to the states easily when I return. I've tossed around getting a 4k we…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jan 2019

Callbacks

So I'm in a callback today, which is great and I get them all the time, and I do the same exact thing I had done in my audition. The director looks at me, and is like quiet, staring daggers at me. Casting director is jumpy (I go into this office all the time, they're great folks there) and is like, "Uh, do you want her…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jan 2019

Getting into professional acting in London

Hi there, I live outside of London atm but I’m soon moving to be moving there to pursue a career in acting. I haven’t been to drama school but I have some professional and amateur credits; however, I don’t think it’s enough to get on spotlight. If you’re not on spotlight, agents won’t accept you, and if you don’t have…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jan 2019

Where is one of the more booming acting cities in the U.S.?

I've been hearing a lot of things lately talking about how New York and L.A. are oversaturated with actors. People have told me that Atlanta, Georgia is the next booming city? So, are they correct? Should I try to head for Atlanta or should I still try to go to L.A.?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jan 2019

What's the UK industry like and what do I need to know?

I'm planning on making the move to London next year (sorry US you're just not for me) and would like to be prepared. A lot of this sub is US focused so I'm not very up to speed with the UK industry. Australia's industry is very small so the rules are not the same internationally Things like: Do UK agents like emails or…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jan 2019

My mom is very discouraging.

My mom never really says good job or anything like that. My big dream (like most of you) is to be a big named actress. I haven't even taken the first step yet. My mom and I were talking and I joking said, "How are you going to babysit my future kids when I'm in LA?" she was like, "You'd do that to your own mother?" I s…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jan 2019

Cast in a feature..but after reading I’m having mixed feelings.

I was recently cast in a feature film and was sent the script today. Of course I am excited and grateful for the opportunity to be a part of something like this. I’ve done my fair share of work so I know what to look out for in terms of writing and the script layout. After reading the whole script over it really left m…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jan 2019

Voice Age Range

Hi all, first time posting here. I trained through Voice Coaches and I'm an aspiring voice actor. Recently I attended PAX South and did some networking with the voice actors there and was directed to their studio website. The problem I'm having right now is that on their demo reel submission page, they asked for my "vo…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jan 2019

Before going into VO full-time...

What were you doing as your dayjob/part-time job while you were building up your skills as a voice actor? I'd love to hear what your road to success was and how challenging (or easy) it was for different people! P.S. If you're still doing VO part-time, any tips on how to manage time better?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jan 2019

No response from agencies, losing heart, about to give up on voice acting.

Edit:adding Los Angeles (Pasadena) I'm about to give up on voice work. I went to school for acting, I've been in 20 live theatre productions, I have several voice reels. I have 10 years xp in radio and production, and I can't get a response from an agency. I've been stuck in the world of p2p, competing with dozens if n…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 20 Jan 2019

Get Cinematic

A technique for using your energy to create cinematic power on camera...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzTUpegGwmY

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jan 2019

Singing warm ups

If you're anything like me you're always looking for vocal warm up exercises to perform before starting a recording session. However i find way more warm up videos and advice for singers than i do for voice actors and VO artists. I'm curious if warm up exercises for singers can have the same benefits for voice actors/V…

Backstage

Backstage · 19 Jan 2019

Audition Coaches in NYC!

I'm looking for suggestions for a fantastic audition coach to work through musical theater material. I'm looking for someone extremely honest, hardworking, and fun!! They must be located in New York City, ideally Manhattan. Any ideas?

Backstage

Backstage · 19 Jan 2019

Getting Started

I was recently an extra for a new tv series. Am I allowed to add this to my credit even if its not a big role?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jan 2019

Best Performances + Consistent Great Actor’s

Hello!! I am trying to accumulate a list of performances to watch and actors to follow. What, in your opinion, are some of the greatest performances in film and TV (in any genre -comedy, drama, rom com, criminal shows, horror, etc.; from any time -early 1900s is fine too; and from any country -Bollywood, Korean, Chines…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jan 2019

Chekhov's Technique

Hello everyone. I have just started taking acting classes for the past few weeks that were heavily focused on Checkhov's technique. I was wondering what the general perception of Chekhov's technique was in the industry and also if it is something that is used by mainstream actors in Hollywood. Also if it isn't a popula…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jan 2019

Some more questions about acting

Over the past year or so I’ve taken an extreme interest in theater. I’m still in high school but before this I didn’t know what I was going to do with my life, but now I actually have a passion and more importantly a career to pursue. However I still have some questions. I’ve looked all over for these but could never f…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jan 2019

RE: Loki (MCU) Voice Actor

Looking for a Loki voice actor to read RP's that have been turned into prose, FanFiction and various other works. This is a paying gig, price to be decided between parties. We are looking for something similar to this [http://tomhiddlestonsoundalike.tumblr.com/tagged/loki%27s-whispers](http://tomhiddlestonsoundalike.tu…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 18 Jan 2019

Creating a powerful audition

Creating a strong  character and a dynamic personality are the key elements to having a powerful audition.  It all comes down to making decisions and executing them.

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jan 2019

I got an audition!

I know it really doesn't mean much, since auditions frequently come to nothing, but I submitted my headshot a few weeks ago for a short film on Actors Access and promptly forgot about it - as I recommend anyone else do. While going about my life, a few days ago I got an email - and a request for me to submit a video of…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jan 2019

Making song choices for Drama school

Hello fellow actors. I’m currently a young British actor, on a foundation at drama school. I’m applying for mainly BA acting and actor musician courses, however, I am auditioning for one Musical Theatre course (Royal Central) and was wondering what sort of thing these places look for in their songs. Should I find songs…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jan 2019

Intern at Talent Agency. What questions do you have?

I'm currently doing an internship at a NYC based talent agency that represents actors for film/tv, theatre and musical theatre. I've been super upfront about the fact that I'm an actor and they've been super chill and always been down to answer any questions I have. So, I wanted to field some more questions that we all…

Backstage

Backstage · 17 Jan 2019

Affordable Coaching

Hi all. With audition season upon us, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good, affordable coaches. I'm mostly looking for someone to coach my acting (songs and sides), and help me conquer my audition anxiety.

Backstage

Backstage · 17 Jan 2019

Being picky about auditions

I guess I'm reaching out here in the hopes that I'm not alone. Please, keep your comments to yourself about taking every job no matter what it is because that's what actors do. I've heard it all before and I'm not interested. I see your point, I just don't agree...

Backstage

Backstage · 17 Jan 2019

Affordable Accompaniment Tracks!!

HELLO ACTORS!! Just wanted to put it out there that I know someone who makes affordable tracks for sale, whether for accompaniment, rehearsal, video submissions, lessons, etc. Their services include 16 and 32 bar cuts (or whatever you need - these are just staple audition cuts), full songs, added tracks...

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jan 2019

LA places to practice and learn

Hi all! I'm in LA. I came here a couple years ago for acting but got stuck in debt and a day job that can barely cover that debt and my other bills. Acting is the only thing I care about and I've been away from it for too long and I'm itching to practice and learn more and be around other creative people but I can't af…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jan 2019

What to do as a minor?

I’m 16 turning 17 next month and studying performance at a university, and I’ve done a couple of paying gigs but I’ve run into this roadblock where damn near all casting calls ask for over eighteen to play younger, and local theatres either aren’t going to demand a role for someone my age or they also ask for 18+ actor…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jan 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jan 17

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jan 2019

Email formats?

I'm not an actor at all so I really have never sent a CV but an opportunity recently came up that describes me fairly well. I am supposed to send my CV, details, portraits etc but I'm not sure what to say and how to fit it all in an email. Thanks in advance.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jan 2019

HOW TO FIND REPRESENTATION AS AN INTERNATIONAL ACTRESS?

Hello everyone!! i need some help, i'm a 17-year-old actress from a Latin American country, I've already built a very good resume with theater plays and short films and basically getting as much work done that i can in my country as well as taking classes and attending workshops, however, where I live there are literal…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jan 2019

LA places to practice and learn

Hi all! I'm in LA. I came here a couple years ago for acting but got stuck in debt and a day job that can barely cover that debt and my other bills. Acting is the only thing I care about and I've been away from it for too long and I'm itching to practice and learn more and be around other creative people but I can't af…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jan 2019

What tips/advice would you give to a complete beginner?

Hi all, I'm working on a short film (For fun) and have my girlfriend as the main actor. What advice/tips would you give her? She's never done this before. We begin filming in April. How to practise? Must have's? ​ \*Remember: this film is for fun, I don't need "You should look for a 'real' actor" \*