Acting forums, all in one place

19,650 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Dec 2018

Podcast about Jerzy Grotowski and the work of the actor

​ [Hey all, if anyone's interested in Jerzy Grotowski's work and approach to acting and performance, there's a new podcast episode about it. Highly recommend. ](https://i.redd.it/t6oltm5q08721.jpg)

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Dec 2018

Is Backstage.com Legit?

I've been trying to find auditions to build up my resume and earn some extra cash, and I keep getting directed towards [Backstage.com](https://Backstage.com). I hear it's legit, but with the monthly fee and the amount of people scamming amateur actors these days, you can never be too careful.

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Dec 2018

Acting career

Basically, like many others I’m sure, Ive always wanted to be an actor and be in movies, shows, short films, etc. Not for the fame but rather a sense of an experience and passion. I live in the worst possible place for having this dream because there are no well known actors (that I know of) that are successful actors.…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Dec 2018

Roles

In television and film, is it possible for an actor to have roles as a male and female? What I mean is that I myself am a girl, but when I dress a certain way and especially when I wear a binder (flattens my chest), it is very easy for me to be mistaken as a male. Many people have told me they thought I was a guy and t…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Dec 2018

MFA vs Conservatory?

I'm really wanting to begin drama school in Fall 2020, and I want to understand the differences in training between the MFA route and a conservatory. I understand that getting an MFA would make me eligible to teach, which I suppose I'd be open to, but my interests really are in becoming a professional actor. So, how is…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Dec 2018

Do Acting MFA programs teach the different acting techniques?

Sorry in advance for the stupid question and the vagueness as well, but I've been up all night looking at stuff online and I've decided to just ask here. I graduated from college in 2010. My school didn't have minors, but if they did I probably got one in acting/theater studies. I've had a long history of doing plays i…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Dec 2018

Moving to Califonia NEED ADVICE URGENTLY

Hello, I am an actor named Dylan Lee. Recently...well I can't even say that. Recently I have been on edge lately. I moved out to California a long time ago from Chicago to do acting. It has been tough. Tough in the ways of: (Settling in to the new family I was with, getting a start, and well... the cost of living.) But…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Dec 2018

[PAID] Need two voice actors for a short animation!

The voices are needed for two stubborn children. Please send your demos at [awarajk@gmail.com](mailto:awarajk@gmail.com), saying the following lines: ​ "Chicken? Again?" "Can't we get something other than Chicken?" ​ Payments will be done through Steam or PayPal.

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 20 Dec 2018

New actor/background

Hey everyone am very new to being a extra iv bin in to tv pilots one made NBC n global but i was just a extra but last weekend this producer gave me my first non speaking acting spot as a cop. I think it very well my question is do you guys have any tips on being a extra like how to get more gigs. Also only one was pai…

Backstage

Backstage · 20 Dec 2018

reputable 1-2 year technique programs in LA?

i did a 1 1/2 year meisner thing at a low key place in NYC with an artsy-fartsy teacher and it was the last time I felt magic with my acting. what good technique programs exist in LA? i wouldn't mind doing another 1-2 year program to really start a...

Backstage

Backstage · 19 Dec 2018

Could use some advice on a heavy situation

Hi folks. New to the Backstage forums and my first post is going to be kinda heavy, my apologies in advance. But I could definitely use some advice and input. I'm in my 40's and 'just getting started.' OK, well not exactly. There is some nuance there. This is my...

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 19 Dec 2018

Bio Recommendations

Hello All! I'm looking for an educational biography to take with me on "winter break" Does anyone have a recommendation? I prefer an actor biography but would also be interested in the production side. 

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 19 Dec 2018

Keeping Momentum Going

Hey all! So I have been acting and modeling mainly in Iowa and am looking to expand. I will travel anywhere for the right project and am extremely versatile in the genres I enjoy. The biggest thing to me is that I do well with offbeat characters. I am a part of several casting pages which has helped extremely and IMDB.…

Backstage

Backstage · 19 Dec 2018

Going the extra mile

I have an agent. What else can I do to increase my chances of getting to know casting directors and auditioning?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Dec 2018

A rant about clients who have small budgets but expect the world...

OPINION: If you're a client looking for work here and are going to spend less than $100 on your voice-over, I expect some kind of escrow or self-executing contract that ensures I am paid upon completion. (Most people won't touch sub-$100 gigs, but bear with me—that will play into my rant). Now, don't get me wrong—I thi…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Dec 2018

What’s Wrong with my Proposal?

I posted a project on Voice123 a few days ago and haven’t gotten an interest from voice actors. I’ve never done this before so I’m wondering if I did something wrong. Can you take a look? https://voice123.com/pi/IB21N8IM0

Backstage

Backstage · 17 Dec 2018

Producers unresponsive to footage request

What do you do about producers who promise you footage and you worked well with but never reply when you ask for the footage or an update? And why do they do this?

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Dec 2018

Interested in voice acting, but not sure where to start

Hi all, Aspiring voice actor here (as I'm sure we all are.) Just getting into the scene, I have a few internships with radio stations at the moment. I don't necessarily have any voice acting experience, but I do have news casting experience and an outlet for expressing my voice. I'll include a few examples of my work,…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 15 Dec 2018

Are you an actor or want to become one?

I am a professional actor who has help many other actors in the industry. I would like to offer my help and services over here if anyone is interested. 

Backstage

Backstage · 14 Dec 2018

How should I go about getting started with my acting career?

Okay. I am a young adult and it is my dream to become a famous and successful actress. I live in a city where acting isn’t big and there are no opportunities, but I live an hour away from a city where acting is major (meaning there are a lot...

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 13 Dec 2018

Actor

I'm the youngest actress in stage 32 because I've been in a production in Eastgate Middle School and I've been singing in choir and earned 2 nominations for Eastgate academy awards for best singer and best ensemble member. Although, I already got an award for best ensemble member at the awards assembly. So, if you want…

Backstage

Backstage · 13 Dec 2018

NYC Film/TV Classes Recommendations

Hello all! I'm starting to hunt around for studios/teachers that offer film/tv courses in NYC this spring. (Specifically courses for beginners.) Any recommendations you have would be appreciated!

Backstage

Backstage · 12 Dec 2018

Casting Directors NYC

Hi! Trying to compile a list of every important NYC TV/Film Casting Director/Office and what they cast (genre wise). Casting About is overwhelming and I would love to make a concise list with the kinds of shows/films each office focuses on. Thanks!

Backstage

Backstage · 12 Dec 2018

Should I join AEA?

I'm a SAG-AFTRA actor who just moved to NYC have only worked TV/Film and commercial projects. A few friends said I should join AEA so I can audition for plays too without the long lines. Just wondering any advice since I'm unknown in the theater world.

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 11 Dec 2018

Become a Better Actor

I realized something after years of working on projects and pulling the best out of people that there is one thing that remains constant. You have to want to be better and let your actions show. Actors will go to school, take courses, read books, look stupid doing our warmup exercises but one thing they won’t do is thi…

Backstage

Backstage · 11 Dec 2018

Contacting Agent

Hello all, After sending out a batch of emails to casting directors and agents I recieved an email from an agent asking me to come in Friday, which is something I cant do because I have a flight that day an hour after the time he asked to meet. I...

Backstage

Backstage · 10 Dec 2018

O1 Visa actors

Hi actors, dancers, singers on O1 Visas, I’d like to hear from you and your experience: Have you ever signed or freelanced with an agent? Have you had trouble finding jobs and/or being accepted for jobs because of your legal status? If you have all 25 EMC points is it...

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Dec 2018

Need advice from voice actors, would this be a feasible way of recording for you?

I'm creating an independent animated series as a hobby and expect it to take a loooong time to make. Because the episodes will probably take *at least* a month each to crank out and there are several reoccuring characters, I highly doubt that I would be able to hire voice actors as I'm animating. By the time I finish e…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 8 Dec 2018

Me

I would like to Act @ Hollywood Flicks need your Tips & Help CHEERS

Backstage

Backstage · 4 Dec 2018

Just trying to get started

Hey my name is Taylor I Recently started backstage and I been a little skeptical about it. My location is Mobile, Al and it was brought to my attention that most auditions and good talent agency’s aren’t in my area, I know they’re current actors/actresses that made that big move...

Backstage

Backstage · 4 Dec 2018

Advice for Pregnant Actress

I am 29 weeks pregnant and SAG-AFTRA looking for suggestions on how to get acting and commercial print work during my pregnancy. Any suggestion is most welcome!

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Dec 2018

Voice Acting Questions: Advice from Professionals for the Novices

I'm looking for people who have spent at least a year working or attempting to work as a voice actor/actress. I have my own thoughts on these questions, but I'd really like to know what the greater community thinks. I am looking for responses from legitimate, experienced actors/actresses to answer this thread. This inf…

Backstage

Backstage · 1 Dec 2018

Looking for Acting Coach: Recommendations & Suggestions

I plan to attain an MFA in acting, starting school either next fall or the following year. Auditions will be tough for me because of my limited experience acting, so it is imperative that I begin working with an acting coach. Most MFA auditions require 2-4 monologues, contemporary and classic....

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Nov 2018

Looking to hire voice actor for short corporate video - PAID

Hey there, looking to hire a voice actor who can do work for a corporate video. We're a startup looking to add a voice over to an animated video about our product. We're looking primarily for female voices, late 20s to late 30s sounding. This is remote work, so you must be able to record yourself. Please consider that…

Backstage

Backstage · 28 Nov 2018

Audition workshop

I submitted to a project and the producers have asked me to come in for a paid audition/reading the text workshop, and they want me to fill out an I-9 for payment for this workshop. That’s odd, right?

Backstage

Backstage · 27 Nov 2018

Is 24 too late to start acting if you are a woman?

So as the tittle says, is 24 too late to start acting as a girl? I'm currently 22 and living in Spain, I've had some experience acting in the US before when I was a teen and came for acting summer camps in LA, did very small role on a...

Backstage

Backstage · 27 Nov 2018

Agent Submission Advice

Hey so quick story (details withheld for anonymity). So I was away on a contract at beginning of month when I submitted to a talent agency. The next morning their was a response that basically said: when you get back to NY, let me know and I would love to...

Backstage

Backstage · 26 Nov 2018

Is it a good idea?

I'm unsure as to when the holiday season/vacation for productions start. I wanted to renew my AA subscription, but wasn't sure if it was pointless to do so now, if we are around the time where work is slow. Does it start to slow down starting from Thanksgiving? Week before...