Acting forums, all in one place

19,650 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jan 2019

Best Microphone Equipment for VA and Filmmaking <$300?

Hello! I'm looking for a decent mic kit that could be used for VO/VA and could also be used to make short films. I was looking to get this: [https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1158332-REG/b\_h\_photo\_video\_voice\_actor\_starter\_kit.html](https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1158332-REG/b_h_photo_video_voice_ac…

Backstage

Backstage · 16 Jan 2019

Scene Study Class

Hi Actors! I'm looking for a great scene study class. Any recommendations?

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jan 2019

weekend classes

Hey I'm an aspiring actor from NYC who wants to take acting classes. The thing is I'm free all day on the weekends (Saturday & Sunday). Any good acting classes I can take on the weekends? Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jan 2019

How to Gracefully Turn Down Roles Which Perpetuate Immorality

So last night I was in a class where I had to play the role of a Police Captain who was insinuating in a fashion unbecoming an Officer and a gentleman. He was not exactly an anti-hero but he was not exactly a moral character (or even sympathetic). The character was reinforcing social strictures and roles instead of bre…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jan 2019

Acting Tips.

Ok guys. So I don't have any background in acting. I am a musician if that means anything. I did a little acting in high school for the school but nothing serious. I know it's a long shot to "make it" as an actor. However, as of now I would like to just be an extra or something like that to get started out. Doe's anyon…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 15 Jan 2019

Get Cinematic

“Many actors will say that actors are artists not entertainers. Being an entertainer enhances the actor’s art. The entertainer half of the equation sparks an audience’s imagination, taps into an audience’s dreams, and inspires an audience…”

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 15 Jan 2019

Now THIS is Fantastic!

Remember Henry Thomas? The little boy who starred in ET? Check out his audition. Unbelievable. https://youtu.be/tA5giyG8E7g

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jan 2019

Help/Video Reel

Hi everyone! I’m a new actress in the US and have no experience here YET but I was wondering if you guys can give me tips and advice on how to film an audition video? I’m very nervous and I don’t know where to even start. Thank you so much!

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jan 2019

Recycling actors

What do you all think about Hollywood and big production companies casting the SAME actors over and over again? This is what I feel: I'm honestly sick and tired of going to the cinema. Each film has the same actors over and over again, there is NO FRESHNESS, no NEW FACES, no NEW TALENT. It's so sickening and vexing to…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jan 2019

Another Annoying Headshot Survey

Thank you so much for entertaining me. I don't know about you but, for me this is the worst part of being an actor. I completely understand...if I don't know my brand how can I sell myself. YEa! Yea! yea! soo voila. if you have a second to do this survey I will send you a thousand virtual thanks. P.S. scroll down for t…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 14 Jan 2019

Get Cinematic

Why you should move back and forth on camera and not side to side...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JYXCDwRGp8 

Backstage

Backstage · 14 Jan 2019

Voice teacher recommendations!

Hey guys, after a studying with my former teacher for a couple of years, I'm now in the market for a new voice teacher that fits my needs/schedule! I'm looking for a seasoned teacher who knows all about alignment. Drop your recommendations below, please and thank you!

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 14 Jan 2019

Get Cinematic

“You’ll be instantly cinematic on camera if you play the subtext of the scene as if it is the text but not the subtext of individual lines, the subtext of the scene. This will engage the audience’s imagination because the audience will be wondering what it is your character can’t say, won’t say, or doesn’t know how to…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Jan 2019

Looking for young actresses for a web show! No traveling needed.

Hi, my name is Chandler. I’m working on a web show and looking for some female actresses. The show is done as a video diary so will be using whatever you have as a camera, could be a webcam could be a phone, whatever. I can’t pay as we’re pretty low on budget but you will be credited and should be good experience. If i…

Backstage

Backstage · 13 Jan 2019

sides?

where is the best place to find a lot of film sides? googling has been no help lol

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Jan 2019

Possible help here

I'm soon transitioning from the military this November. I've been looking into moving to California specifically LA to attend the Lee Strasburg theatre and film institute for the 2 year conservatory program. Before I begin this venture I will be taking classes in my local community theatre in order to gain some experie…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Jan 2019

Should I not even try? (16m)

I'm a 16-year-old aspiring comedian and actor, and I just finished a draft of a comedy script I want to film over the summer- and act in. I've done some acting. Not a lot. I auditioned for a short film being made in my school last year, and the director loved the "emotion" I portrayed. I made a comedy short last year,…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 12 Jan 2019

Actor's Admin Group (Los Angeles)

Happy Saturday Stage32 folks!  My name is Brian, and I'm looking to put together an admin group to meet on a weekly basis.  This group is intended for anyone who wants to progress in their career, but may need some extra support or motivation.  Ideally, this group would be intended for actors, but everyone is welcomed…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jan 2019

I went on my first audition in almost two years

And it was probably one of the worst auditions I’ve had. I misread the casting call, and did not realize I had to book an appointment. Luckily they still let me audition. I got incredibly nervous about 4 seconds into my audition piece and just tanked it. They did not mention the dance audition would be directly after a…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jan 2019

Strong Cover Letter

I'm a relatively green actor looking for representation. Any tips/guidance to making a strong cover letter that stands out despite my lack of credits? I'm having a hard time trying to "sell" myself when the most recent job on my resume is from college... Thank you!

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jan 2019

Can we use an LLC for a loan out corporation?

My daughter is selected for a TV series as a lead actress and is expected to make around 200k this year. Based on many articles on the web, we realized the advantage of using a loan out corporation to maximize tax benefits. The thing is, we have an LLC that is used for software consulting. Can I add my daughter as a me…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jan 2019

Looking for young actor(s) - looking for advice on how to go about it.

Hey all, ​ I'm hoping get some advice for my project. I need one or two actors to film a series of promotional videos for an iPhone app I produce (Can't pay a huge amount but will pay fairly). ​ So my question is, what's the best way to go about finding some talented and personable young actors? Is there…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jan 2019

I GOT IN MY FIRST FILM!!!

Ok, so its not really a big film, its more a short film, but its still really a big deal to me! I've always wanted to be a film actor, and this is the first real experience I've ever gotten. Before this, I just got a few leading roles in small local plays, which is still pretty cool, but not the experience I wanted. Ca…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jan 2019

Non-presencial directing.

Soo, i explained recently about a amateur project i'm doing. I'm turning a novel i've written into a audionovel that i'll release as a podcast. It's in portuguese (but i plan to produce a international version later) soo i can't ask for help here. My budget is also zero, so the voice actors that want to participate are…

Backstage

Backstage · 11 Jan 2019

What is the consensus on headshots?

I’ve seen a lot of headshots at auditions and done a bit of reading online as well but of course there’s a fair bit of conflicting information about what casting directors like to see, as well as preferences evolving and changing over time. What would you say is the general...

Backstage

Backstage · 11 Jan 2019

School productions on resume?

Hi everyone I've been acting for a while now and currently studying theatre in Wales. Maybe a stupid question but I wonder how much school-productions count as experience and how good they are on your resume? At home, I have quite a resume but here in the UK, I have...

Backstage

Backstage · 11 Jan 2019

Most helpful classes in NYC?

There is no shortage of classes to take in NYC, which is good because there’s always something else to learn! What classes have you taken? Who have to studied with? Would you recommend them to others?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2019

Acting ambition and advice

Hello everyone, I am trying to get into the acting industry, I have always wanted to be an actor but always talked myself out of it due to trivial reasons such as my accent being a big turn off for directors etc. I have recently registered with Backstage, I live in Kent, UK. Does anyone have any advice? It is time to s…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2019

What is a group audition like

I was told the director will give me one or two lines to read out in a "group audition". So I have to do my audition in front of a group of other actors? That seems nerve wracking lol.

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2019

Does this mean i have to do my own monologue for this audition?

A director near my town is casting for a feature film and the notice says "no experience needed" extras and film actors wanted. I emailed them and they said to drop in at 4pm and they said nothing about if I read a script from myself or if they give me one when I get there? I'm new to acting so sorry if this sounds dum…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2019

Question about SAG

So I did a SAG project recently, and I just received a letter detailing how I’m SAG-eligible. I know you aren’t allowed to do non-union projects if you’re formally a SAG member, but what does this specifically imply? Does this mean that once I’m a member, that I can’t be an actor in a student film, for example? Am I ON…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2019

Demos Aren't Cheap - VO is an Industry

I coach actors a lot. Film/TV actors. They want to make a quick buck and think, "What could be easier than VO?". A lot of of people approach VO this way. They baulk at spending $500 on a demo. Or $500 on a course. They expect to enter an industry investing next to no money or time. It's wild. The idea of spending 10s o…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2019

The new pay to play landscape. Time to unionize?

Hey everyone, Firstly I just want to send a huge amount of respect and collegiate love out to those who have chosen the path of voice acting and other creative pursuits, whether you're just starting out or are are decades into your journey. I'm a veteran voice actor who has recently relocated to the US, and in the past…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 10 Jan 2019

Hello!

Its been awhile since I've been on here, its nice to be back and see such a great community; I'm glad to say I still have a strong passion for acting and that I'm definitely going to put my effort into making a professional portfolio. Plus I am very excited for the opportunity to be in my first short film later this su…

Backstage

Backstage · 10 Jan 2019

TAPNYC The Actor’s Project?

Anyone know what this is? Looks kind of scammy, but I guess you never know. Keep getting emails from them.

Backstage

Backstage · 10 Jan 2019

Headshot Advice

Hello! I recently got pictures taken and I thought they should be good for headshots but after some research I began to think they look more like pictures to send to family members instead of professional photos. Should I get these photos redone or are they acceptable for auditioning? https://www.backstage.com/u/megan-…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 10 Jan 2019

Burton's Hamlet

I stumbled across this accidentally a few days ago, and have been in heaven since watching it repeatedly. Would love actor's input: https://youtu.be/IQiRxLqYrns

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2019

Texas Agencies

Any actors/industry professionals here who could recommend a great agency in Texas, preferably in Houston or Austin? (The ‘agents’ link in the FAQ section is down atm)

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2019

Moving over for acting

Hi guys, so I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I'm an 18 year old (part-time) actor based in Belgium who has serious thoughts of moving over to a city near London soon. Too me Belgium is too small a place, we speak a different language and only a handful of actors can do it full-time. For a long time I've been wanting to m…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jan 10

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2019

Rates for a new voice actor

Hey all, I've just recently started voice acting and have landed my first solid interview! (All the previous so far never got past my reel). My client has asked me how much my rate/per completed hour is, and I'm unsure how much to charge as a beginner voice artist. Does anyone know what a good range would be for a star…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2019

Voice Actor Needed

Hello reddit friends! I work with an agency and need a single commercial project voiced. I am looking for someone with a raspy masculine quality to their voice. Think Sam Elliot or late Johnny Cash. Speaking of cash, this is a paying gig, because work equals money in this life. If your vocal profile qualifies and are i…