Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2019

SAG reinitiation

So I was a child actor, but I stopped working during High School and never paid my dues during that period. According to my dues statement, my membership was terminated earlier this year. Does that mean I am non-union or am I SAG-E? Am I subject to rule 1 still? Would be awesome if someone knew the answer.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2019

Check out this interview with Tom Schalk

Got the chance to speak to a voice actor about the industry, sub vs dub in anime and even got to do a little voice acting at the end! check it out https://www.podbean.com/ea/pb-e37nr-c08237

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2019

looking for non native english female voice for short VO

Hi! as the title suggests i am looking for a non native english speaking female voice actress to help me finish the film i have been working on for a year. the film itself is a mixture of film and 3D motion graphics and the voice over is a poem that was created using a machine learning algorithm, trained on recollectio…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2019

Can anyone suggest a good Wordpress theme for my website? I'm dumb.

Hey folks! I'm looking to build a website for my voice acting, and have already purchased a domain, as well as hosting through Wordpress. However, I'm not the most design-savvy (or particularly computer-savvy) and I'm having trouble deciding on a theme that will suit my needs (and importantly, be easy to use). Does any…

Backstage

Backstage · 22 Sep 2019

Finding Breakdowns Without an Agent

I live in the southeast, have one credited TV speaking role to my name (on a nonunion cable docudrama), am SAG-eligible, and have a paid membership to Actors Access, but I was wondering why this website was considered so essential when the amount of breakdowns I was seeing were still...

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2019

Where Do Actors Find Good Casting Calls?

I feel like I read about actors finding big roles online. I recently read Finn Wolfhard saw the Stranger Things casting call online, Sierra Capri from On My Block on Netflix said the same, and so did Mena Massoud for Aladdin. So my question is: where do actors find these casting calls? I look at Backstage and Actor's A…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2019

Building “Instagram” for actors?

Hi guys! Wanted some thoughts on this. Not new to acting necessarily. Been pounding the pavement for a while. But one thing that has changed with the business is Instagram. I mostly do comedy and am trying to build my following on that. And I’m trying to reach a bigger audience and get more followers....but REAL follow…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2019

Smart characters to study for reference

I'm a young beginner actor with a few small projects under my belt, and I have a role coming up where I need to act smart/calculative. Do you have any suggestions for characters to study to get an idea for what I should do? Preferably something that's easy to find.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2019

(Screen) acting opportunities in Vienna

Hi! Vienna is such a cultural city but how is the acting industry for international actors (not speaking German - yet)? Any advice where to find out about the castings or seek opportunities (in particular for screen acting)? Any great places to do workshops? Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2019

Learning accents without a dialect coach?

Is there ANY way cheap to learn different accents on your own? I find it hard to believe that all aspiring actors can afford a dialect coach and whatnot.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2019

Any interviews similar to this one?

https://youtu.be/u2JLRtWlq0o This is kind of a niche question... But I recently watched this conversation between Megan Fox and Diablo Cody where they talk about the filming and release of Jennifers Body (2009) Are there any other conversations (videos/podcasts (etc.), Where actors, directors, writers, producers, talk…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2019

LA/Actors/Housing

Hi guys, I’m making the move to La soon and I was wondering what advice you have on finding housing - especially actor friendly housing ? I’m happy to sublet and I’ve been saving up. Any sites to use or avoid is very helpful. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2019

Actors: Do you make restaurant reservations for after the opening night of a show?

The cultural system of practices generated by the theatre going public and those who work in the theatre can differ quite greatly. On the one hand, the factions of society who visit the theatre the most; either through subscription packages, memberships, are just for pleasure, are also the factions of society with the…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2019

DO METHOD ACTING OR DON’T DO METHOD ACTING?!

In my opinion, I kinda don’t think it’s necessary as most the actors you see today are not method actors. Though we have some and though their roles are great, I’ve seen far more great roles with actors who do not take the method acting approach. What do you think. “To method or not to method?”

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2019

WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE ACTORS???

Man or woman who is your favorite? Also why? It seems to me like most actors have their favorites, but they don’t have a real reason why. Is it their believability, work ethic, transformation, or what? Lol. Why are they your favorites?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2019

Social media influencer vs. Film/Tv actor

I was recently having a discussion with a fellow actor, and he brought up an interesting observation. He believes that there are less "wannabe" Film & Tv actors, and more people wanting to be Social Media "Influencers". He thinks that the current generation is more inclined to chase fame through social media. Less film…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2019

Anyone with autism or limited emotional range grow into effective acting before?

I am emotionally challenged, the doctors thought I had asp Berger’s when I was younger but I’ve grown into myself to be high functioning. I struggle with expressing emotion on my face. People often think I am cold and distant, but I actually have deep empathy and feel internally, but it just doesn’t manifest in my face…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2019

ADVICE: New(ish) to LA and always dreamed of acting. Obstacles galore.

All my life I've wanted to act, but I've been so afraid to admit it. I grew up in a smallish town outside of Atlanta where there weren't many acting opportunities. I started acting in plays and musicals in high school and was always placed in the chorus. I took this as a sign that I didnt have the talent and decided to…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2019

I'm fat and a noob, any advice to the questions wherein?

Hi all! I've always been a bit interested in acting, and throughout my life I've been told I'd probably be good at it. I love doing impressions, telling stories, playing out scenes in my mind, looking at behind the scenes sort of things for movies/TV to see how the actors really put themselves into the minds of their c…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2019

Ethical question: In light of the various "Blackface" controversies around North America in the past few years, is it acceptable or unacceptable for a white actor to wear dark make up to play a character in a movie who is of a race where skin color would

There have been white actors who have played Indian characters, Asian charters, and probably characters of African origin. Is this okay in the 21st century? Now, you might ask "why not just get an actor of the same race as the character?" Well, such an actor might not be easily found who fits the role. Maybe a director…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2019

Breaking into Videogames and Animation

I've seen a few posts and videos about this, but I thought I would make a post to get some other opinions as well. I'm an actor who's recently moved to Los Angeles. It's been my goal for the past couple of years to develop a living as a VA, specifically in video games, animation, and anime dubs. I find that in voice ov…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2019

BEST ACTING CHANNELS ON YOUTUBE???

Hey ya’ll as I’m growing as an actor, I want to find other resources to further my training. Are there any YouTubers you can suggest to help me with my acting? Thanks you!!!

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2019

When's the best time to submit to talent agencies regarding representation?

So long story short, I(18M) am doing 2 more acting at my university and was told that even when you just start the class, you can put it in your resume, so since I am sort of new to acting, I will have 2-3 acting classes under \*Training\* on my resume. I will also have hopefully been in more student films/productions…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2019

Do you need perfectly straight teeth to be an actor?

I never got braces and my teeth aren't perfectly straight. I don't have huge gaps or anything in my mouth, but like 4 of my teeth in my mouth aren't super straight. I was always told you need perfect teeth (and really white) teeth to be an actor. Is this true?

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2019

Good Acting On Camera classes in The Bay Area

I am a new actor living in SF. I am looking for good recommendations for classes for Acting on Camera here in the Bay Area. What is the best bang for my buck?

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2019

Theatre and modeling

As an aspiring actor, is it a good idea to do theater (to improve my craft and money) and to model (for visibility)? Or is that too much?

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2019

I’m a beginner in acting, and need some advice.

So I really to want to get into acting. I’ve done a little bit of acting in the past, and I both enjoy it and one of my dreams is to be a professional/celebrity actor. I was wondering what my next step should be. I’m 15, if any of you are wondering, and I do go to a school that has theater but I cannot currently join i…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2019

Inexperienced Model/Actor Looking To Connect

Hi everyone, I just got booked my first big shoot (modeling, not acting) where I am getting paid to fly out to another city. I do not have a ton of modeling/acting experience, so I am looking to connect with people who do. I do not have an agent and I am nonunion. I don't want to be annoying and ask the producer a bunc…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

How important are CD workshops?

• Are they THAT important, and should you take them? • Can you actually NOT get in touch, or at least get in the room with a CD, if you don’t go to their workshops? • What are the benefit/s of going to those (especially to newer actors trying to actively pursue it)? • Will your agency drop you (or at least do something…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

Question about casting actors.

So my friend and I are making a short film, we are far enough along in pre production to where we already did auditions and picked our actors. For each role we also picked a 2nd and 3rd choice in case our top choice drops out for whatever reason. I was wondering what (if anything) I tell my 2nd and 3rd choices? Do I ju…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

Concerns with smoking a pipe for a role

For a role I need my actor to smoke an old timey tobacco pipe, I need a plume of smoke. I intend to use ground up herbal cigarettes (just take off the packaging) Could this still pose a health risk? They are not a smoker.

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Sep 19

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

Those of you who got your MFA in Acting, would you do it again?

Hi there! I'm a bit of a late bloomer when it comes to acting. It was something I had a passion for without even realizing--When I was little, I always loved to memorize movie lines and recite them in front of the mirror, or grab a video camera/camcorder (tbt to the Flip Ultra HD) and film myself, but I never expressed…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

How do you get an agent?

I've been acting for only a few months, just some minor stuff from Backstage is all I've done thus far. I'm wondering, how do i find an agent who can find work for me? How do I contact them, how do I meet them? Would most agencies take on an actor with minimal credits to put on their resume? Do I need a video reel? Any…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

A Time To Work vs A Time To Act

Hi Actors, I want to put out a question on the marathon aspect of acting as a career. I recently finished a four month production that was easily the highlight of my youngish career. It was paid, it was fun, it was hard work. I really loved it. However, I had a small part in it and throughout the process was hungry for…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

Looking for a girl actor for my video! Easy $15

Hi! I am a digital media student and I have a video project idea that I have to get done by today (9/19)! So Im working on a super basic 10-30 second video about a girl named Janett obsessing over Isaac she goes to extremes to get his attention. I'm just looking for one take of you saying the lines in a very creepy and…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

Why did you choose to become an actor?

What made you decide to pursue acting as a career? Lately I have been thinking about my own experience acting and why I have chosen this career path. I’m curious to hear from other actors.

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2019

Which agencies are generally used by Funimation and others for Anime voice over work?

So, I work a lot in indie film, as a cinematographer. I shoot small feature films / short films and something that I get nagged about constantly, is if I've done voice over work. It's usually other talent which remarks on that, so I thought I would actually put a real demo together. My interest is in Anime, so I though…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

How Do Actors Memorize Their Lines?

I've always had a kind of more theoretical/academic interest in how how actors practice their craft. In my family, there are a few screenwriters, but they are often too busy for an in-depth conversations on a craft they are only professionally-related to. So I thought I'd post this as an open question on this subreddit…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

What does it mean to be an "emotionally intelligent" actor?

I've seen this term thrown around on this sub and I haven't been able to completely nail what it means. I know what it means to be an emotionally intelligent *person*, but in my 22 years I haven't heard the term apply to actors before. Is it an actor that is able to apply and portray emotions genuinely? That's what I f…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

Can I become an actor at 28?

The only idea I have would be to create a Backpage account, but I feel that would never have casting calls for legitimate sized movies or series. Feel the company couldn't risk it with an outside talent. I've always wanted to play as the villian in movies because I'm a nice person in my everyday life. How does one even…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

Finding teen actor jobs (vague title)

Hello, I found this sub by accident and I need help, please please please. I’m sixteen and I live in Quebec, Canada. I looked on Famestreet to find acting jobs in Ontario or such, and other sites, but I have problems. 1. I can’t afford subscriptions especially if I don’t know if it’s legit. 2. I would like to know if y…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

Trying to get into doing commercials to put more on my resume.

Hello! I’m a 22 year old female currently living in the state of Arkansas. I was wondering if there are good sites to for finding auditions for commercials for I can get some on screen experience. My goal is to be a movie or tv actor and I’m slowly working my way up. I only have theatre work under my belt right now and…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

Why do film actors and theatre actors not understand each other?

I like to think of myself as a theater actor, but whenever I book a play, I tend to somehow weird theatre people out..and I never know why. I do everything theatre people do ( fawn over great performances, sing musical numbers with overwhelming glee-mostly badly unfortunately) but i never have any close friendships aft…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

Any Canadians living in LA or NYC?

Hi there! I am a Canadian who has been working as an actor in Canada for about a year and a half. I've done primarily stage work, but I've done a few film, TV, and voice gigs to date. It seems that so many people on this sub suggest moving to LA to seriously pursue acting. I would like to know the proper ways to do thi…