Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

Anyone know if there’s a way to make your voice crack with emotion?

Editing post cause I think I’ve confused you all. I don’t need help crying or making that believable. Just enquiring about vocals and actors having their voices crack. Take this scene for example with Liam Hemsworth and Jennifer Lawrence. At 3:55 Liam’s voice cracks in the work “pain.” I just wanted to know if anyone k…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

Actogram Studio is now hiring!

Hello there! We are a small group called Actogram Studio that are currently looking for staff! We are looking for: ●Social Media and Promotions Manager- in charge of our Social Media's: Instagram, Discord, Reddit ect. You have to post atleast 1 post a week and promote Actogram Studio! ●Script Managers and script Writer…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2019

Accent resources

I am auditioning for a part in a production of Flanagan's Wake this Sunday. They say they prefer actors who can do an Irish Dialect. Can anybody recommend good resources to learn this without sounding like a racist stereotype?

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Sep 2019

London Actors for Short Film shot this October

Hey everyone! I'm looking for two male actors to play the two main characters in an indie short film I'm producing and directing. Filming dates are 1st-4th of October. DM me for further details. Age 20-30

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Sep 2019

Acting Classes in New York City from DC

I have studied acting for a number of years in college and out of college and decided to take the Manhattan plunge a few months back. Joined a number of facebook groups, Mandy etc and casting networks. Checked out some classes with Penny Telmpleton, 1 on 1 and Actors connection. Was going to take a workshop I saw on TM…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Sep 2019

Quick Question Regarding TV Ad Campaign Pay Rate

I have been asked to interview for a TV ad campaign for Redfin (real estate company). I am an untrained actor and my wife and kids would likely also be featured in the ad. The marketing supervisor reached out to me yesterday and asked to do a video chat/interview. How much pay should I expect or ask for if selected? Th…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Sep 2019

Looking for input on official SAG name

Hey everyone, I would love to get some opinions on something I've been debating. I am an actress and recently started training for stunts. I am going to have to join SAG soon in order to work in stunts so I need to pin down my professional name. My current options are: Brittany Cardoza Brittany Daley-Cardoza Brittany D…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Sep 2019

How much of what you guys do is improv?

Today while shooting a dialogue heavy scene, I honestly forgot most of the script. I knew generally what I was supposed to be talking about but forgot specific lines. So, improvised. Surprisingly, my fellow actor started improvising too, mainly because what I was saying didnt quite fit the lines he was gonna say. At th…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Sep 2019

Does watching shows/movies you love make you sad sometimes?

We all love acting. And it's a hard thing to achieve sometimes, a good career in it. Do you ever watch shows that you love or movies that you love and then get really sad, because you can just *see* it. You can see how you would act, how a character you play would fit in. And then the sadness hits because it's probably…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Sep 2019

Hello I need a couple of voice actors

hello, I have been writing ideas for video games for a little while, but I don't know how to make them, I am looking to make a team of 5 to 10 members (that number is including me), but big problem, I don't have enough money to hire anyone, so if anyone would be willing to be paid by percentage of sales, like 10 to 20…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Sep 2019

Question.

I have a few noticeable tattoos and I was wondering how casting directors feel about actors/actresses with tattoos?

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Sep 2019

Do I need to move to New York or Los Angeles to be an actor?

I'm a 26 year old woman who lives in Portland, Oregon currently. Not a huge city but not small bananas either. I want to get into acting, but am wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot by being in a smaller city. Any thoughts? Thank you so much for your input.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Sep 2019

Looking for a voice actor

I’m in need of a voice actor for top 10 style videos. There should be about 8 mins of voice over per video and would ideally have you do the scripting aswell. Please contact me about the payment. Thank you

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Sep 2019

Any advice on starting my acting career and what path I should take?

I'm 20 years old and I've wanted to act since I was a little girl. I was in school plays all throughout high school, but other than that I do not have much experience other than a radio commercial from years back and a small extra role in an independent film. I did win a statewide talent show by reenacting a scene from…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Sep 2019

HELP! A hard to pronounce and read foreign surname

My first name is very short and common in America but my last name is Sklíri. I'm contemplating whether i should use a different stage surname before starting to build up my resume. Since a lot of you are from English-speaking countries - do you think that my name is WAY too hard? I mean we have actors with "weird"-er/…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Sep 2019

How do I email the director without sounding stupid?

Ok so there was a casting call for a student-led independent short film for a handful of characters and I wanted to audition. The flyer said “no experience needed” so I was happy to know that they would welcome even the newest of actors. Speaking as one of those new actors (no prior experience, headshots, or reels), wh…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 15 Sep 2019

Accents: A How To Guide

Hey there actors. Pleasant Sunday :)Maybe you're in a pinch trying to fine-tune your Boston, or London accent. Well, today is your lucky day. Richard "RB" Botto Coffee & Content Sunday Blog, brings to you the vids you need to help in mastering your accents.Link: https://www.stage32.com/blog/Coffee-and-Content-Actor-Lea…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Sep 2019

How do you get out of a rut? Is it time to quit?

Here’s my story. I moved to NYC from the Midwest 3 years ago with a bachelors in theatre and a year of professional acting experience (SAG card and equity membership candidacy). I started out focusing on musical theatre while also continuing my film/tv training. I booked a national tour of a children’s musical 3 months…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Sep 2019

I got an erection during a kissing/teasing scene

(also, the actor I'm doing this with is quite famous, so I can't really risk looking like a fool) So, I'm currently filming a TV show. And there's this one scene, where me (19male) and my co-star (23male) make out. The scene basically consists of him coming in behind me, grabbing me between his arms. He starts licking…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Sep 2019

can i be a film actor if i don’t live in los angeles?

i’ve just started out with acting so obviously i don’t expect to be cast in a film or tv show anytime soon BUT something i’ve noticed when reading actor’s biographies is how they were born in Los Angeles or moved there to peruse their career. i’ve also noticed how most of them started acting professionally at very youn…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Sep 2019

Movie scenes with 3 characters in it

In my third year at university and we are working on screen (not for the first time) and need to take in 3 character scenes. Got a few ideas, but thought I'd ask my fellow actors. Edit: I am a 24 year old female. Period dramas or dramatic scenes are more my style (which is the brief) but others are welcome.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Sep 2019

Dropping out of a show respectfully.

TL;DR - got cast in an unpaid role that is enormously different than what I expected with a community theatre that takes itself far too seriously. The long of it: I am primarily a stage actor. I don’t typically take unpaid roles at this point in my acting career. However, this show is featuring a director I’ve wanted t…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Sep 2019

Reasonable rates for seasoned actors

Hi, I have a project that requires a voiceover, commercial work (online only, small market) and I'm trying to budget to present to client. I've hired local talent before, but I can't find the kind of talent I need for this one. Looking around online, it seems the price for a one minute of talent ranges from $5-unlimite…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Sep 2019

Any tips?

I'm more of a theatre based actor and I sing up to 7 hours a day. I get sore throats a lot and I was wondering if there was any preventative methods so I dont get them as often? (I know singing/speaking less is one but I dont have that option)

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Sep 2019

Feeling Blue or Uninspired?

As actors we crave expression, connection and opportunities to work on our craft. We search for gigs, send out our headshots and fill our heads with theory and technique. And we wait. Soon we might feel a little discouraged, a little stagnant and a little fearful that our dream to be an actor is not going to happen. Do…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Sep 2019

looking for a female actress for short film

Hi. Me and a group of friends are working on an animation short film for a film jam. The short is a cyberpunk/sci-fi story with a serious/sad tone. It will be set in a dystopian, environment , and it will be about 3 to 4 minutes long. The short will be published online, and you will be credited. We’re looking for someo…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 13 Sep 2019

Make the days count, don't apologize for hustling as an actor!

"Don't count the day, make the days count" -Muhammad Ali.  There seems to be this shame actors carry around having survival jobs. I think it shows your strength and willingness to do whatever it takes. Another audition story about booking but not booking the role. What happens when the director and producer think you'r…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Sep 2019

Acting Resume Questions

So basically, I am starting off as a new actor though I have been in one production like 9 years ago, and I am currently taking Acting 101 in college. Am I able to put the production on my resume despite it being so long ago, and could I put the class under \*TRAINING\* despite not having completed it (semester long cl…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Sep 2019

General Submissions for Casting Agencies

Hi everyone! I hope you all are having a good day/night. So I have an agent and shes wonderful but I would like to be doing more. I went on “The Actor’s Handbook” and was just checking out casting agencies in my area and under each one it says something like “General Submission accepted via email” “Please submit headsh…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Sep 2019

Signed to CAA without an audition

I know someone who recently got signed to CAA(Creative Arts Agency) without an audition. He only started acting last year in school projects and it was this summer he started taking it seriously. Apparently, his high school theatre teacher knew a CAA talent agent and sent in an interview of him to the talent agent and…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Sep 2019

USE MY VOICE TODAY AND TOMORROW ONLY!!!

Hey Voice Actors!!! ​ I make weird music online and I have a BUNCH of time to record today and tomorrow - I would LOVE to work with some of you!!! ​ Do you have any side characters I could do the voices for? I would love to do some fucked up abridged anime things. ​ Here's my work in case you were…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Sep 12

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2019

Can I use a different name for Non Union Performances?

First post on Reddit so \~here we go\~ just got my Equity Card (yay) but im wondering if I can use a separate name for my performance art. Much of the performance art world is not Equity so I want to be able to continue in that world but I don't want to get in trouble with Actors' Equity. Any help would be appreciated

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2019

Question for fellow actors

As a new actor applying for roles/opportunities do you think it is worth attempting to write, shoot and act in your own stories and put it out there? OR to just focus character learning and applying for roles?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2019

Beginner

Hi everyone. I’m a 23 year old man the UK who hasn’t got any sort of acting experience but I’ve always been fond of it. I’ve always read about actors and watched documentaries on acting and have always been fascinated by it. Like a lot of people it’s a desire I didn’t act on and now I’m at an age where I don’t think I’…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Sep 2019

Making Free Websites for Actors

Hello, ​ I am looking to help this community by making free websites for actors. This could be a website that could display your headshots, be a personal blog, have your resume, etc. Whatever you'd like I can make it. And yes it's completely free. I am looking to build my web design portfolio and figured this wo…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2019

Period audition advice (Sense and Sensibility)

I am auditioning for Sense and Sensibility by Kate Hammill at the end of the month. I am trying for Elinor or Fanny/Lucy (this version can cast the same actor for both roles) but preparing the monologue that will set me up for Elinor. I am a fairly new actor and haven't prepared a monologue for a period piece before...…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2019

Looking for Voice Actors

I'm looking for Voice Actors to collaborate with for an independent project I'm developing. What would be the best way to connect? There seems to be many different sites and I'm getting a bit lost in what the best resource is. Or if you're a voice actor on here, please reach out! I'm looking for all ages! Cheers

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2019

Guess who just got a series regular audition...without an agent??

Not me lol. Actually my girlfriend. She found it on Actors Access but the reason she got it was because she not only submitted through there but also pitched herself because she was such a great fit for the role. Wanted to share because I’m really proud but also in case it helps anyone!

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2019

What are some of your acting / auditioning experiences?

Hello i was just wondering since most of you guys here are actors/actresses , and i have never acted on a professional level. so i would like to know what are some of your acting experiences while being on set? has anyone here acted on big firms like disney/broadway etc , tell us everything and share with us. Share som…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2019

I'm interested in hiring a female voice actor, but I have questions

Like the title says, I'm exploring the idea of hiring a voice actor, but this is new territory for me. Allow me to explain what I'm looking for and why, and hopefully the good people here can help answers my questions, and point me in the right direction. So I'm a writer, and I've posted several stories on Reddit. My m…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Sep 2019

Why do you have to pay to audition?

I'm checking out actors access and backstage and both sites make you fork over money just for the chance of an audition. Better alternatives?

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Sep 2019

How do you deal with *only* rejection?

How do you guys deal with having never in your life gotten a single role, and only been rejected? I have been fine with dealing with rejection so far but today seemed to be the straw that broke the camels back. I have applied for about ten things and auditioned for them in the last 3 months.As each rejection came (even…