Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Oct 2019

LA acting Class recommendations for a UK trained actor

I've recently graduated from a top drama school in the UK and I'm now moving to LA (I'm an american). I know that there are so many BS classes over there and culty teachers to avoid. I was wondering if anyone knows of any really good on camera or scene study acting classes. I 'm looking for a continuation of training r…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Oct 2019

My manager's reaction after I left him.

Hello, I had a manager of a year that got me into one room (I know it's not a manager's job to get you into rooms but still.) He found me after I got 9 credits on a Netflix show as a recurring guest star and I feel like I lost a lot of momentum this past year since I booked it unfortunately because I trusted him and I…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Oct 2019

Crazy "fired/blacklisted for no good reason" stories?

Why does it seem so INCREDIBLY easy to get fired for the most minor mistake? It feels like everyone has a story in which they were fired from a set basically because the director was having a bad day. Stories I know of: - A friend from gradschool was doing an animated porn voiceover. They asked to know more about the c…

Backstage

Backstage · 3 Oct 2019

NYC or LA?

Hey fellow Backstage peeps! I'll be finishing university soon (May 2020) and would like to buckle down on my acting career after graduation. I enjoy theatre, but really love (and prefer) film and TV. I've heard some people say that you should move to LA if you want to break...

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

I have twice the ammount of lines to memorize and I'm lost

Our director decided to give me a role that was previously assigned to another actor, knowing I'm not prepared and I have a hard time memorizing lines. I'm lost and I don't know if I can memorize everything in time! I'm fairly good at improv. Please, give me tips on how to do it! I won't be able to improv an entire cha…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

Psychologists specializing in helping Actors/Performers?

I've had this recurring thought over the past few weeks. There are Psychologists that specialize in Athletes/Sports (and even E-Sports) that are employed by teams to help them play better. Is there a place, or a niche, for Psychologists that specialize in Actors/Performers? I've looked high and low and can't find much…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

No idea what to do know, does that mean giving up?

Hey! This is my first post on reddit and I'm really hoping that someone has advice for me. Even if the truth is going to be painful. I am an actress and I started with stage acting, when I was 12. I am 20 now. Growing up in Germany, I was signed up with two agencies, but unfortunately I got almost no casting calls. I d…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

Should actors be morally and ethically responsible for the roles they play?

So, I was wondering what all of you thought of this. Should an actor get any personal heat for playing a character or should they be fully absolved of what that character is and does at a cultural and societal level? Clearly, actors are acting, but at a cultural level, are they responsible for what their performance of…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

LA film culture made me a little uncomfortable.

I recently came back from a trip to LA with my friend Melissa who is an actress. She is in SAG so she is professional, but nothing really famous. My experience of LA film culture really opened my eyes to such a bleak and intense world. For example, I had no idea that teen actors in Nickelodeon and Disney Channel drank,…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Oct 3

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

Acting course gives me anxiety

Throwaway because this is very personal. I am an 18-year old actor not based in the US although it is my goal to go there in a couple of years. I recently decided to go for the dream I have had for 10 years and try to become an actor. Through contacts I was able to pretty much immediately book a leading role in a short…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

Getting beyond frustrated with barriers to the industry UK (Spotlight)

I’m a 26yr old female actor in the UK desperately trying to advance in the industry I didn’t go to drama school, but am currently taking acting classes every week We have agents come in all the time but they won’t sign me because I’m not on Spotlight But I need professional credits to get on Spotlight but need an agent…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

Would you say Orlando or Tampa is better for new actors?

I plan on attending UF Online for University. I will be 17 at the time as I am graduating early. One of the perks of attending UF Online is that you can live wherever you want in Florida. I want to work on myself as an actor so that I can eventually move to Los Angeles once I finish my degree (I have quite a few colleg…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

Looking to hire male and female English native speakers actors for a voice over

Hi, We are doing an online platform with tutorials for children. We are looking for a male and female actors to voice over the roles of 9-14 years old boy and girl. We also need a male teacher/parent and a female teacher/parent. The tutorials will be animated. Each tutorial will be about 5-10 minutes. It will be a dial…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

True Crime Reenactment?

I am a relatively new actor, non-union with only a few credits. I have an agent. Should I take a speaking role on a true crime Reenactment show? It's a long drive for not much money, and I'd lose money on by missing work. I'm ok with these things if it's a chance to flesh out my resume, but I don't know much about thes…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2019

How do you think actors are able to become famous?

Now I know there’s a lot of actors who were born into the industry (had famous parents) or started off as child actors, but it seems for the majority of relevant actors today, they were neither born into the industry nor were they child actors. For a lot of them it seemed as if they were born to a family that had no co…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2019

Where can I find actors?

Hi, all. I need some advice when it comes to finding actors for my various film projects. I’ve never really considered reaching out into the community like this before. Should I put up fliers? Put an ad on Craigslist? What are your suggestions? (And yes, I am planning on paying my actors- obviously.) Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2019

How many auditions have you done this year?

Asking for people who consider themselves professional actors, and especially looking to hear from NYC based actors. I had a goal to go on a certain number of auditions this year, and I've basically only hit a quarter of that goal. I'm trying to gauge if I was being a little unrealistic, or if I've been slacking. Think…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2019

Moving agents in London? Etiquette, reasons etc.

Hi all. I'm a British actor, currently represented by a nice bloke as a part of an agency he started. I get very few auditions from him & while I must keep in mind the possibility that I'm just not as good as I want to be... I'm starting to feel that I'm not being 'pimped' enough. I'm really tall, taller than average a…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2019

Hoping you guys can help talk me into going to classes because I'm terribly insecure and weird, have always been interested in acting but keep sabotaging myself when it comes to classes

The drama department at my uni holds classes open to public, and there are discounts for students which make these classes pretty affordable in comparison to other places. The entire course takes about a year and you get some sort of certification, and it's broken up into 4 levels. The teachers and coaches are all the…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2019

questions about nida

i’m aware this doesn’t really fit into this sub, but nida (national institute of dramatic art) mainly caters towards actors so i’m hoping some of you guys could help me. i’m currently finishing high school and want to go to nida for their stage management course and then a directing course, but i can’t seem to find any…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2019

Male and Female voice actors req. for VR training module!

Hi! I'm looking for 4 different voice actors to read a script for an interactive decision-based Virtual Reality training module set in the US. I work at a tech start-up based in the UK and we're creating a free demo to showcase interactive VR training modules. The training module teaches financial advisors how to deal…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2019

Staying up late as a bartender but working early as an actor?

I’m wondering if I should become a bartender to pay my bills, but can anybody speak to the insane discrepancy between staying up late as a bartender and having to wake up early for set jobs? I’m naturally a late night person, and recently I had some background actor jobs that I had to wake up at 6 am, and while I kind…

Backstage

Backstage · 1 Oct 2019

BEST DEAL FOR HEADSHOTS IN LA?

Hi Guys, Recently I shot with this amazing photographer who is only charging $50 per look at www.actorphotola.com . Like the best headshots I ever had and I just needed one look and it was only $50 and he shot like 100 pictures with different expressions for me to choose...

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2019

What kinds of roles are people getting called in for?

Is the heirarchy (do you have to go through the “be an under-five first, then co-star, then guest star, etc”...) applicable? Does casting still do this? Can you not be called in for lead roles if you’re an unknown and not to mention, new actor? Can you get called in for large productions even if you’re new? More so, ge…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2019

NYC Actors Meetup?

Another post on here earlier this week gave me the idea. Could be a good opportunity to network, share ideas and make some friends in this competitive market. For anyone interested DM me as I have a group chat currently going and would like to organize for next week! Hope to hear from y’all!

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2019

What are the easiest accents for a southern Brit to learn?

To start off, I am not an actor by any means but I thought you guys could give me some advice (sorry to infiltrate your sub!). I'm a southern Brit and was wondering what accents would be the easiest to start learning to replicate, based on my own accent? Im guessing that some accents are easier to replicate based on yo…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2019

What would be a good language to learn that would help me earn a role in the future?

I know some American actresses have played foreign characters, so what language might benefit my career? I know Spanish fairly well, but I don't think that'd land me any roles as I don't look like a Spanish speaker. I was thinking French, but if you all know of any languages that are helpful for working in this industr…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2019

Searching for a great monologue from a modern play

Hi all! I've been tasked with finding material to work with some new actors that have great motive trajectory or emotional shift from beginning to end. My usual go-to includes Shepard and Lonergan, due to their natural dialogue styles to help encourage new actors to feel comfortable and relate with the dialogue. I'm ho…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2019

Mumbling actors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpUznQds8p4 I really need to know: do you guys understand anything the narrator is saying in this? If you were a producer, would you accept this kind of delivery? Maybe I'm deaf, but it's beyond me how this could be released...

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2019

Voice acting Guidance. Beginner here.

So I've had an interest in being a voice actor for a while but I have absolutely no clue where to start or what education I need for it, I live 45 min away from the Funimation HQ in Dallas and it would be amazing to one day work for them. I recently watched a video of a voice actor watching others do their characters a…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2019

Need help!

So I was a SAG child commercial actor until high school when I took a break. I have a terminated sag membership because we never paid the dues. I started going out for auditions for student/short films recently, and will be enrolling in meisner training in the coming months, which is great with not being sag because th…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2019

Business checking account for acting expenses?

(X-posted to r/Actors) Hi all! First time poster, longtime lurker. I’m an actor based in NYC fresh out of grad school. I’ve booked a few good gigs since graduation including my first television job on a network show! (Co-star) My financial advisor is recommending that I open up a business checking account to track expe…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2019

Actor from New York City Now Residing In Oklahoma City looking to network!

Here is a short film i wrote produced and was in a supporting role last year. Im still looking for other actors, directors to network with now that im in the OKC area and would like to start taking more acting classes. If anyone knows any great coaches or anyone in pre production of a film please let me know. You can a…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2019

Is the phrase “Too ugly for Hollywood” True?

I have a huge lack of confidence due to my appearance, is the phrase “too ugly for Hollywood” true? I’m really passionate about acting and really want to pursue it but don’t know if I’ll be anywhere near successful due to the way I look. Is being unattractive a major setback? Do casting directors tend to go for more at…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2019

Actors with agents do you still self submit?

If you have representation do you still self submit to stuff on AA? Do you talk to your manager/agent about this? What percentage of your work comes from self submitting?

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2019

What’s the easiest way to get into SAG-AFTRA?

I look it up and these articles are so loooooong and confusingly worded. Can someone dumb down this whole thing for me? I’m a non union actor. I’ve been extras in commercial so far. What’s my next step to get a union job? How can I get a union job if no one wants to hire non union??

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2019

My chances?

I’m 23 now, 24 in 6 days. Since I was about 9 I’ve wanted to be an Actor. Over the past 3-4 years, I’ve joined countless acting and or casting agents / agencies, possibly around 10-15... all to no prevail. Not even auditions or extra roles. I’m beginning to lose hope. And fast. What are the chances of anyone becoming a…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2019

Do any other actors here have Body Dysmorphic Disorder? How do you manage it?

Tech week is always exhausting, but the thing I fear most about tech week is always how it stokes my body dysmorphic disorder. It’s obviously just one of those things I know I have to work through if I want to act, but it really takes so much energy out of me and prevents me from giving it my all. Do any other actors h…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2019

Relocating?

I've recently gotten some advise from a friend-of-a-friend voice actor, and he suggested that you really should start in a main-market area if you want to really "make it", or at least take lessons from a professional that has been in the field. Being in south east ohio, there aren't too many professionals in the VA fi…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2019

High-Interest hobby or career?

I was venting to a friend (business major) about the industry and he was asking some questions that he would ask any small business owner. I gave him my history (3 years in the biz with the highest being a guest star credit) and the “types” of customers I’ve had (which translates to us, how many auditions and what type…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2019

Sending materials to production houses: Yes or No?

So I’ve been getting into Voice Over, (I know this isn’t the VO sub bear with me) And I’ve been reading all I can from working VO artists and one says “I emailed my materials (headshot, resume, and demo) to a long list of production houses in the NYC area” and then there was this interview with Troy Baker where he said…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2019

Monologues for Auditioning?

I’m fairly new to acting and theater, so I don’t know the ropes. What should I audition with when I’m auditioning for school plays. Last year, I auditioned with a monologue from Hamilton, my favorite musical, and to this day, that audition still haunts me. I never took drama as an extracurricular and I don’t think I’ll…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2019

I feel like I’m at a turning point in my life. I’ve wanted to be an actor (screen) for a large amount of my life and am starting to reconsider. I just need some advice for what I should do

Sorry for the long post but this is really important to me After an argument with my parents and the stress of an upcoming university audition. I just feel like my genuine love and (I hope) talent as an actor is just getting undermined by their firm reliance on a predictable lifestyle. This is just leading me to consid…