Acting forums, all in one place

19,656 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2019

How to do Michael Piotr's Doom Testament voice?

Hey everyone! I decided that I want to try and be a voice actor so I started to listen to other voice actors and my favourite voice actor so far has to be Michael Piotr. In the Doom 2016 game there was this really low and demonic voice. I want to try and copy this. Can his voice really just go that low or is he using s…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2019

Aspiring voice actor here, any starter tips?

I’ve wanted to do voice over for a while, and have a decent set up and work space, but every time I sit down to do it I always get overwhelmed and feel like I’m not getting anywhere cause I’m not really sure as to where to start.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2019

[Hiring] New Author looking for a voice actor royalty share on ACX

Hi Gang, ​ My name is Chris , author of Patient 3, a Sci-Fi / Post-Apocalyptic novel. I’m looking to do a royalty share on ACX with possibly one of you lovely Redditing voice actors. The following is a Youtube Review of the book to give you an idea of the plotline and the potential for this story: [https://www.y…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2019

Facial Expressions & Emotional Alignment

Hey Everyone, I've been a lurker on a separate account for quite some time. I have a question that I hope will benefit the community. Can any of you share some exercises that help loosen the facial muscles? Perhaps point me and others to some sources that can answer this question? I'm currently working through an anxie…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2019

Voice Actors of Reddit: Wanna-Be audio book narrator here. Thinking about a side hustle, not as a career, but some extra cash might be nice-kinda thing. What are some suggestions about what to read or do as things you can post on a new profile?

Would already have beginner equipment for soundproofing, access to a microphone (though admittedly I’m still quite un-knowledgeable there, but know enough where to get started) and space to work at home. Just looking for suggestions as to what to record that would be easy for a beginner but still enough to try and get…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2019

Video Game Voice Acting Workshop - Melbourne, Australia

Hi everyone! I'm Aimee Smith, a full-time voice actress specialising in video games, based in Sydney, Australia! I ran a Video Game workshop at Bang Bang Studios with Voices of Tomorrow earlier this month, which sold out within 48 hours. I've done panels at Oz-Comic Con, Smash, Border Dimensions and more recently GCAP…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2019

What do actors do when they’re sick?

Not something I’m experiencing but just curious- if an actor wakes up sick on a day of filming what happens? Do they just ring in sick? And then is the whole day cancelled?

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Oct 17

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2019

Actors in Egypt

I was wondering is there is any Egyptian Actors in here or have you ever had acting job in Egypt? , If so let's get to know each other

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Oct 2019

What questions do you have about the craft of acting?

I'm looking for blogpost ideas and wondering what kinds of questions actors and/or aspiring actors have about the craft. The CRAFT of acting, not the business of it. For example, audition tips, emotional preparation, understanding material, different techniques, imagination work, etc - what specific questions do you ha…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2019

Acting classes

I don't attend any of them. I have actors Access for 68 $ a year. I submitt everyday , I do about three in-person auditions per week. I get feedback on my performance from directors and cast directors. I learn from my mistakes and I get exposure as well.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2019

Social Anxiety and how common is it in the business ?

So I was watching an interview with Elizabeth Olsen and she mentioned how she had severe social anxiety. Now she’s a great actor and she plays each of her characters well. I was wondering how that translates behind the scenes. Meaning would there be a specific type of class you would take besides normal acting classes…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2019

Which Improv school would make me a better actor?

I’ve been doing improv for a few years and decided that I would like to attend one of the big three schools (Groundlings, UCB, Second City). Out of these three, which one would you recommend if I’m trying to transfer the spontaneous energy of improv into acting? More simply put, which school would help me think less.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2019

Larry Moss Workshop Review

I just finished taking a great week long workshop with Larry Moss. For those who aren't aware, Larry is a top acting coach who has coached several actors into Oscar nominated/winning performances. Including Leonardo DiCaprio, Helen Hunt, Hilary Swank and others. I thought I'd share my core takeaways from the class with…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Oct 2019

Other Forums for Actors?

What are some of the best websites or forums where actors discuss the industry in the similar open spirit as this reddit? Do any of you have other actor oriented sites you frequent?

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 15 Oct 2019

Voice acting

I was wondering if you had any tips for voice-acting?What experiences have you come across?How do you break into voice acting?I have started an interest in acting and voice acting in particular and just wondered if anyone within the Network had any advice for a newbie?Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

Do I need to do theater?

Do I need to do theater as an extracurricular if I want to go to drama school? I think some background/explanation or concerns might help: I took acting lessons with a focus on film for years, did a few short films and web series, and I have an agent. When I got to high school, I kinda got distracted with all these new…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

Need a monologue! HALP!

Hi fellow actors, So I have an audition for this play on Saturday. I have a comedic monologue in my rotation, but lately it’s been feeling pretty stale. The other one I do isn’t necessarily “funny,” it’s a lot of build up that leads to a joke, but it can be pretty hit or miss. I need a contemporary comedic monologue. I…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

I need tips for directing my first play

Hey guys.. Im a high school student and I have acted in a handful od plays directed by pro actors, and I went one year on an acting course. Every year my school has a Christmas play where we students act in it. Our language teacher is like our mentor but she doesn't have any acting experience. I have been in two of the…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

What's a callback?

I'm new to theatre. So when there are callbacks, does that mean they've narrowed the search to those being called back (kind of like in sports and you've made the first cut)? Or does it mean the CD selected the actors he liked and the callbacks are ppl he wasn't sure about and needs to see read again, meaning he wasn't…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

Enrolling in classes at 2 different studios

I’ve been in class 7 months now- the same studio, same teacher- 4 days a month, 3 hours a class. Class is great, my teacher is great, the studio is great but I feel like it’s not enough. I’m estimating that I only get 30 mins one-on-one with the teacher in this class. The remainder of the class, I’m observing other act…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

Tips for playing a male character as a female?

I got my first titular role/lead role recently as Peter Pan. I’m excited to play this role but I would like tips on playing a male character as someone who is biologically female. Thankfully I’m already pretty androgynous and people mistake me for a boy occasionally, (though I’m a 20 year old woman) and people tend to…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

What jobs do aspiring actors get to support themselves?

What do actors typically do for a living? Because usually acting is on a gig by gig basis until you get a deal, so until then, what should I do for money? Also is acting school worth student loans?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

Agents - suggestions?

Hello fellow voice actors, I am curious if anyone out here has an agent and what it took to get signed with an agent. I don’t live in any of the major hubs (LA or NY) and can’t seem to get any contact with agents or agencies. Any suggestions?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

Anthony Meindl's Actors Workshop (AMAW) Question

Hi All, I'm auditing a class at AMAW this week and would love to get some thoughts that have either audited/taken Anthony's courses. From what I hear, you either love it or hate it but being someone who is "green" in the industry (I've taken a few courses a few years back), I was curious what your thoughts are. &#x200B…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Oct 2019

Anyone have any feedback for me?

Hi all! I am a budding voice actress and in the middle of gathering samples for my demo reel to send to agents. I would love to know what I should improve on. Is the audio quality professional enough? Would you suggest some changes to the voice/read? If I could get some feedback I would VERY appreciate it! [https://sou…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2019

"Making Movies!" A Discord Community for Aspiring Actors and Filmmakers!

I just launched a Discord Server, "Making Movies!", for aspiring filmmakers of all sort! From Film Distributors to Stuntman, all sort of people working or willing to work in the film industry are regrouped in this community. This is truly a community to improve your skills while having fun and doing your passion, inter…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2019

(Hiring) Voice Actors/Actresses to do vocal work in both Anime/Audio Drama Project

Hello Everyone i'm looking for voice actors and voice actresses interested in doing some work for my PG13 Anime!, the pay is $50.00 per episode you voice in, payment is through PayPal! This is a legit full blown anime with alot of seasons planned, there is also an Audio Drama version which is 18+ and contains mature co…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2019

Summer Opportunities?

Hi All, I'm a current college student, and over the last two years I've been looking every summer for opportunities to branch out into more professional work when I'm not in school. Unfortunately, opportunities seem to get less and less every year; summer stock companies are dying out (or are run specifically by an ind…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2019

An aspiring actor looking for feedback on a survey from all of you!

Hello everyone! My name is Jacob and I am currently a college student studying theatre and a career in acting. So I was hoping that you all who have been acting as a career would take this quick 5 question survey, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/P7VFL88

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2019

i need advice

So I’m a 14 year old girl from Canada and I really want to be an actress. I don’t know where and how to start since my parents (asian) are pretty strict on me and my grades. They also want me to completely focus on school. I already have two citizenships (Canada and Hong Kong), in the future would I be able to get a US…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2019

The actors project or actors connection?

Which is better? I’m leaning toward the actors project to showcase. I’ve got training. I just need an agent- so what do you recommend?

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Oct 2019

Casting Call! Survival/Fantasy/Mystery Audio Drama.

Hi all! I'm looking for female and male voice actors to join the audio-drama podcast I'm currently producing. The roles are currently unpaid, but I'd like to profit-share any revenue from advertising, patreon, etc. Season 1 is written and contains 14 full episodes. Feel free to respond here or DM me with any questions.…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Oct 2019

Reading the Actions During Auditions

Two questions: 1. When you audition for things, does the reader (or anyone else in the room) also read the actions? 2. What sort of projects are you auditioning for? This came up at an audition I had this past weekend. As an actor, I am ready for however they want to do the scene. But I was noticing that it seems like…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Oct 2019

Is it worth starting acting at 30 years old ?

is it really worth pursuing it at 30 years old or am I past it now ? I have always been interested in film and tv but only recently gave it any real thought saw a film or two with older actors in it and thought I could give that a go. Do you think acting school is a waste of time or am I better off going and getting so…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Oct 2019

Exception to SAG Global Rule 1 for Producers?

Hi! I saw someone mention briefly online that there is an exception to Global Rule 1 for actors who are also producers on the project or on the creative team (I realize that last one is very broad). Is this true? Does anyone have more info? I haven't called SAG about it yet, but I have searched online and can't find an…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Oct 2019

Robert Forster

Robert Forster of course in the news due to his passing yesterday. I recently watched Jackie Brown for the first time. The performance of the actor playing Max Cherry's stood out to me a lot. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was so simple(!) and there seemed to be so much behind the character. That was when I lea…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Oct 2019

HELP

I just got an audition for a performance arts school and I'm kinda freaking out a bit. I've always wanted to direct but acting has been something I planned on learning because I believe that understanding acting is key to being a good director. Problem is I have no experience acting outside of things I did in Middle sc…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Oct 2019

What equipments/gear am I missing from my home studio?

I am up and coming voice actor. Currently taking some vocal training courses. But now, i am trying to continue my build-up to a more proper home studio, but i seem to be missing some things... but not sure what specifically, so i hope some of you can advise on what else i need to get/buy that will help me even more wit…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Oct 2019

Stand-In SAG vouchers?

Does anyone know if under the new short film agreement if stand-ins get background vouchers? It says the first 10 background actors must be covered... are stand-ins considered one of those?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Oct 2019

Podcast feedback

Hi Everyone, I am an actor, published author, and producer. I am currently working on producing Season 3 of my podcast and would love your feedback. The Podcast is called [The Manifester's Journey](https://themanifestersjourneypodcast.simplecast.fm/episodes) where I interview entrepreneurs, artists, actors and more on…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Oct 2019

Alexander Technique classes?

Could I take Alexander Technique classes at a studio that has nothing to do with acting, or do I need to take those classes at a studio that teaches actors specifically? The studio that I wanted to enroll for these classes are simply a studio that teaches the Alexander Technique and nothing more. It's not tailored to a…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Oct 2019

What does "an actor prepares" teach you about the Stanislavsky method?

I know it's a stupid question but hear me out. The book "an actor prepares" is told to have exercises / lessons, but they're only told in the form of stories, instead of just telling you the exercise / lesson. And it doesn't even tell you much about how to do the exercise, the story just tells you what happened after t…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Oct 2019

Risk/Reward of waiting at an ECC

For a nonunion actor at an EPA or ECC, is there a benefit to waiting in the holding room after an unofficial list has been started? When there are still hours before the actual audition begins, why stay? Is it fine sign up and come back closer to the start time? Or am I risking something by leaving?