Acting forums, all in one place

19,657 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Oct 2019

HOW TO ACT

Do you need yo act for a class project or school play? Or do you have dreams of being an actor on the silver screen? If so, you'll need to master the basics of acting. Swipe for some tips on how to take command of any stage. PART I -PINPOINTING CHARACTER TRAITS 1) Come up with a background for your character. A lot of…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Oct 2019

Learning the Business Side of Acting

Hey Redditors! Just wanted to share some stuff for those who aren't familiar with the business side of acting, or don't know where and how to start. On YouTube, watch videos from Wendy Alane Wright!! She has tons of videos breaking down nearly everything about acting, mostly beginner tips which are immensely helpful! I…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Oct 2019

Terminology - "crossed out"?

Hi, Was working as a background 2 days ago.We did 4 takes, and after that I and 2 other backgrounds where directed to move into locations out of frame with a comment that we were "crossed out". What does this mean? Director decided that the scene is better w/o background, just principal actors in the shot? Thanks!!

Backstage

Backstage · 28 Oct 2019

Demo reel

what should a demo reel have, should you make a footage by your self or take videos from previous projects, ill be really tankful because im thinks of what a demo reel should have, by the way Matt newton helped a lot, thank you.

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Oct 2019

Is it wrong that I don't have a "passion for acting?"

All I hear is "I have a passion for ACTING" or "you need yo have a PASSION for ACTING" to make it in this business. And honestly, I don't know, well more like I don't think I have a passion for the art-form of acting. I don't care about plays as I've never seen one...What I do care about is movies. I fell in love with…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Oct 2019

I’ve decided to follow my dream of becoming an actor by moving to LA from San Diego, getting a job as a waiter while I take acting classes and more. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for the move/ getting seen by big directors?

Currently as the title explains most I’m 23 years old and even though my mind is set on becoming a well known successful actor I find a lot of people in my life including my parents keep telling me it’s to late to start acting and it’s all about who you know, it’s making me discouraged to make this move and pursue acti…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Oct 2019

Why do many TV actors after a hit show...

Especially the TV dramas of 80's. Many faded into obscurity. Why? I assume being branded as your TV character hurts your film career. I assume other TV roles offered are retreads of their old character. I also know TV is long hours. Do many go and pursue theatre?

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Oct 2019

[REQUEST-PAID] Need Voice Actors (Female) For Anime Animatic

Me and a group of people are making an animatic based on the anime "Bakugan Battle Brawlers" Roles that need filling: Marucho Marukura (Marucho is a young boy, I need a female voice actor that can do this) Billy Gilbert (Billy is a boy who is also voiced by a female, but he is a teenager) Skyress (a deep voiced female)…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Oct 2019

Voice actors who are unexpectedly good singers?

I’ve recently been watching a lot of anime English dubs and one of the voice actors had to sing in it and their voice was unreal. Just wanted to know if there are any voice actors out there with under-appreciated singing voices?

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Oct 2019

What should I do during my co-actor's monologue/soliloquy?

Whenever my co-actor says her long lines and I am behind, sitting and doing nothing, I feel awkward. Like, I feel like a statue. And there is a limited prop---a pillow and a photo. What stage business should I do while sitting and looking at her say her sad lines?

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Oct 2019

Advice for a disabled actor

Hi all, I graduate college this May and feel so defeated. I'm an actor living with a physical disability (it causes me to walk with a limp) and have only been cast in one small role during my time in college. I've got callbacks for smaller roles and one supporting role but never a lead. I see the same students get cast…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Oct 2019

Should I put my business degree on my resume?

I’ve seen actor resumes with and without it, so I wanted to get this sub’s opinion. It’s a BBA with a Marketing concentration, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2019

What's tour improv experience?

All, I always took improv classes because i thought i was funny. I never was successful at it..never got asked to be in a troupe.. I did get in a student lottery show. I just was too tense about it. I realized I'm actor funny. That's ok because I'm not a comedian. I hate being in farces, i like serious stuff or dry or…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2019

A little help with major life choices

I've had passion for acting since I was a middle schooler and was part of all theatre groups in all the institutions I've been in and wanted to pursue a career in it. But my parents forced me into becoming a mechanical engineer saying that kids living in India have to work through a long way so as to become an actor in…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2019

Hiring male VA for animatic/animation

Hello again :) Looking for a male voice actor who can do a voice SIMILAR to Glenn Quagmire's from Family Guy. It's for a small animatic/animation, I only need 1 or 2 lines. May ask for future lines from you if I can afford your price! Please send your auditions to crimsonjuniper@gmail.com before October 30th. Hoping to…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2019

Best "survival jobs"?

Hi! I'm a current college student (studying acting) who'll be graduating fairly soon. Once I have I plan on moving to NYC and doing the whole acting thing. I acted professionally throughout high school (I have a few film/TV credits, SAG eligibility, friends who promise they'll refer me to their agents, etc.) but took a…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2019

Alternatives to WeAudition? Desktop platform-not just phone?

I recently tried joining We Audition. It's $10 per month but they have so many technical bugs it's impossible to use. The only useful thing about it is connecting with available actors who can get on cam with you and be your reader for an audition, self tape. Is there anywhere on-line (not facebook) where actors can co…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Oct 2019

Why do you use voices.com or any other voiceover marketplaces?

All these online marketplaces for VO talent charge exorbitant amount of fees for simply allowing you to be seen by customers, and giving you the chance to audition. Why do VO actors still use them? Is it because there are no alternatives? I'm thinking of creating the same kind of marketplace, but VO actors won't be cha…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Oct 2019

I am bald at 24

Just feeling down. In acting school. MPB took my hair away. I have a massive passion for acting. And I feel like I could excel in the craft itself. But let's face it. It's a superficial career path. Yes theres " Bruce Willis and jason stathom " and so on but it looks like only 5% of actors are bald. There isnt any big…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Oct 2019

How do I become more vulnerable in acting?

Sooooo.... I’m a pretty shit actor and I know it lol, but I want to learn how to be more vulnerable. I’m ok with the comedic, overly dramatic theater type acting. But when I have to do deliver a serious, more realistic line, I get soooo uncomfortable, and can’t seem to express myself as much as I’d want to. Especially…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Oct 2019

How exactly would engaging in physical art actives help me improve as an actor?

So I want to start investing the money i earn from my "regular job" to help me grow as an actor. I've heard that doing physical activities can help me grow and improve as an actor. I want to get into fencing and see what that's about, and I'm hoping to grow as well. but how will this help me exactly? What are some othe…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Oct 2019

Aspiring Voice Actor Channel

Hello everyone! Im REZ, an aspiring voice actor with severe A.d.d. and Insomnia and nothing soothes my soul more than trying my best to bring characters to life. Feel free to check out my YouTube channel "Tight-Knit Family Productions" for narrations and more to come!

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Oct 2019

Hey team - new show, Guys Night

Hey, actor in LA here. So, this is a show created by a bunch of my buddies (admittedly I'm in it). But it is just head and shoulders above almost every other web series I have seen. Please take a watch! I'd love to hear what you think: Guys Night: Ep 1, Game Night: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry1Rv\_1Sl6k](https:/…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

i feel like i’m failing

i go to this rlly good school and i auditioned today for one acts, not going to lie i thought i’d at least get a call back. but when the teacher posted the list i literally felt like i failed everything, everyone keeps telling me this is my first year its ok if i didn’t get in but i just feel like i’m such a bad actor…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

not a single callback

Hey, guys! I’m a 20 year old “actress” based in London. So, this time last year, I decided to drop out of Film school to pursue acting (very original, I’m aware haha). I’d been wanting to act since I was pretty much able to speak, but never had the lady balls to admit it. It wasn’t until I went to University, that I co…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

Sell out

Have you ever decided to take a big leap in your career because becoming struggling actor is tiring? Have you ever taken a big 9 to 5 job halfway through your acting career? Not your typical waitressing job, like a real corporate job, not admin either. I don't plan on quitting acting but I know this job will slow down…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

Most accredited acting schools?

I’m currently a sophomore in high school and I know this will make me sound just like every other fifteen year old out there but I really want to be an actress and when I say really I mean I was telling my mother when I was four years old that I wanted to be an actress in movies more than anything in the entire world.…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

How to find an agent?

Hi, I am an actor in LA (just moved here). What's the best way to find an agent in LA? I am mainly seeking commercial and theatrical representation.

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

Is there a problem if I'm someone who wears a wig?

I'm getting into acting and I'm kinda worried about the fact I wear a wig. I shaved my head a couple months ago because of personal reasons so I've been wearing a human hair wig that's similar to how my hair was before. I asked online about it before and someone said it's fine if that's how I look daily, but someone el…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

Do you think the Academy Awards will ever have a category for video game actors?

Famous actors are starting to take on roles in video games, most recently Mads Mikkelsen and Normas Reedus in Death Stranding, and Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk 2077. With motion capture technology advancing so rapidly can you see the Academy Awards opening up a new category for video games in the future, especially if fam…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Oct 24

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

What are some less common day jobs for voice actors?

Do any of you have any experience with non standard (ie waiter, bartender, barista) jobs while trying to break into the world voice acting (specifically video game and anime/animation) or do you know of anyone who was say a teacher, personal trainer, or a counselor or something?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

Heads up on scam that seems to have migrated from Craigslist to Backstage

Hey folks, it was just brought to my attention that this casting call on Backstage is just a front for a headshot scam that has come up here before: https://www.backstage.com/casting/the-hill-top-293534/ Here are links to the scam mentioned here: https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/beoti8/casting_headshot_scam_nyc…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

U.S. Actor wanting work in Vancouver

Hi, does anyone know exactly what must be done for a Los Angeles based actor to be able to work in Canada? I have family that lives in Vancouver and I have agents interested in me there, but I don’t know how to get a work visa or the necessary papers. I can move to Vancouver for a month to make it happen. I think I’d n…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2019

Hiring voice actors and actress's

Hi I'm a artist animatior and writer.I'm looking for voice actors and actresses for a Justice League animated fan series that I'm co-working on. Requirements Must have Discord DM me for more information

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 23 Oct 2019

Actors Live-streaming and using social media

Hello everyone! I work in Talent Development for a social app with monetized live-streaming. I believe that experienced performers would have a leg up when it comes to being entertaining and engaged with a live audience on our app, but I also find that some actors dismiss social media opportunities. I feel like any exp…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Oct 2019

Australian Actors Advice

Hello everyone! First time posting here, I’ve always wanted to act but I’m not sure where to start! I’ve done some unpaid background work on student films before but I’m not sure what the next steps are. It seems that most professional actors have agents but I’m not sure how to get one of those?!

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Oct 2019

Help moving on from a rough situation?

I was cast in a play a couple months ago. The director/writer was very unorthodox to put it simply. She often stepped over my boundaries as a person in ways that were extremely irrelevant to my character or the play as a whole. (I.e., she once gave me an exercise where I had to “sadly” confess that I was molested as a…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Oct 2019

How can i legally live in usa without needing to study acting?

Hi everyone. So the title looks like it doesn't belong here, lol, but i think it does. So I'm a 17 year old boy from a European country who wants to fullfill his dream of becoming an actor in usa. But i have decided unfortunately or not that i won't study(because i don't have the money) but I'll be taking acting classe…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Oct 2019

Roxie With A Broken Foot #TheSearchForRoxie

Hey actor people! This is more theatrical- than film-related, but since I saw some theatre in here, I figured I'd give it a shot! I put together a video audition for the [Broadway.com](https://broadway.com/) and Chicago contest to find their new Roxie Hart (**#TheSearchforRoxie**), and I'd love to share it with you. Th…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Oct 2019

Recommending someone to an agent?

I worked on a short with an actor, who asked who my agent was. She wanted me to recommend her to my agent, but I don’t really want to recommend anyone whose work and background I’m not familiar with. She’s a new actor, with no training. And to be honest, not to knock her down, but I’m not believing what she’s doing/say…