Acting forums, all in one place

19,656 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Oct 2019

College Audition/Pre-Screening Advice

Hello! It’s college audition season, which means that I get to spend my days having that slight actor paranoia of making sure I get every possible piece of advice to feel as prepared as I can be. Obviously, college auditions are different than regular auditions. They’re trying to get a feel for who you are as a person.…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Oct 2019

Adults Playing Children

Hello, I am currently producing an audio drama and the main characters are 8-14 year old children. I am looking for advice on the pitfalls of using adult voice actors to play children. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that might be helpful? Should I be looking for male actors with higher pitched voices? Does this ta…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Oct 2019

Losing passion for acting but you know you want to be an actor?

So I KNOW that I wanna be a actress right, so I joined an acting class but it felt like a job and not something fun, so it kinda made me think well maybe I don’t want to do this anymore. But then I just get these random passions for acting but when I took my acting class it felt like a job and I don’t want it to feel t…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Oct 2019

[UPDATE] Looking for Voice Actors for Youtube Series

Hi everyone! So, I made a post in this sub about looking for voice actors for characters in a fantasy series for Youtube. I want to thank all of you who messaged me and you're all so talented. However, I still need TWO VOICE ACTRESSES. If you're a voice actress and want to give this a shot, DM me for more info about th…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Oct 2019

Recommendations for showreel companies in NW England?

I'm based in Liverpool and currently have everything I need for an agent to look at me except for a great showreel I have Equity, Spotlight, headshots, a CV, and other actors willing to recommend me but I'm taking a lot of roles right now in stuff that isn't coming back looking worthy of a showreel or even coming back…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Oct 2019

How long do you think you should give an agent to start getting you auditions?

Hey there, I started pursuing acting a couple of years ago and three months ago I managed to get an agent. We clicked pretty well. Thing is, I've had no auditions from them apart from one for their own theatre production. Before signing, they stated that they have connections within netflix and amazon. My passion is sc…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Oct 2019

Becoming an Actor with practically no experience

I'm halfway through my degree in education, but I've always thought acting would be cool. How does someone with very little experience get into acting? Anytime I watch a TV show or movie I just think how fun it must be to be involved in creating something like that.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Oct 2019

NYC Actor to London... Advice Please.

I'm a NYC based actor heading to London for a workshop for 6 weeks. The workshop itself is only 2 days out of the week. I am really, really excited but also lost on some of the basics, as I've never spent more than a few days in London before. A few things I would love tips on: ​ 1. Where to stay in London? The…

Backstage

Backstage · 21 Oct 2019

SECRET AGENT MAN - Demo Reels

https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/how-to-get-your-demo-reel-to-the-top-of-an-agents-slush-pile-69211/

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

IMDBPro account profile for child actor?

I'd like to create an IMDBPro account for my daughter who does a small amount of acting work in film and TV (not carded). I can't see a way to do this, only create a profile for myself? Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

Question about changing the pitch of your voice

I'm not trying to become a professional voice actor or anything, but I try to practice a bit of fun stuff for DMing my DnD campaign. Recently I've begun to record my sessions and I've found out that even though the voices that I thought were high or low, actually sounded like my normal voice with a *slightly* higher/lo…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

how are you supposed to even audition for theater if you're non-equity?

i started pursuing acting at 28. i'm now 32 and I live in NYC. i've done a bunch of shorts, improv shows, and student films and have been training for years. I've never pursued theater because I wait tables and, despite what you may have heard, i don't find these jobs flexible at all. if I booked a show, my manager wou…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

Stage-names, my ideas! Help!

Hi, guys. So, I recently signed up for an acting agency here in London and have landed a teeny-tiny minor role. Now, of course, nothing humongous.. more like an independent film...but it still has a fairly decent budget, it will still be available to watch on Amazon for free, I’ll get paid for it, et cetera. I’m sure y…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

Voiceover actor needed for MMA YouTube channel.

Hey guys. I'm the producer of the popular MMA YouTube channel [It's Not Cagefighting](www.youtube.com/itsnotcagefighting). We're currently looking to increase the output of videos on the channel, but as it stands the availability of our current narrators limits our ability to do so. We're looking to get our next video…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

Do actors apply for unpaid background roles, and why?

I always see unpaid, non-union background roles on Actor’s Access and wonder if they’re worth submitting for. One just popped up today that’s for an overnight shoot. Do these productions actually get actors to sign up? And if so, are there any benefits to it other than networking? EDIT: I also specifically am wondering…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

Hi there, i have a question!

For a very long time now i have always been intrested in acting, when i was around 15 i remember taking a theatre acting class but it wasnt for me, since atleast not at that place focused alot on the idea of evoking emotion. I have always felt that i am good impersonating/evoking emotion, but there isn't really anyway…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

Working in a 'satellite' city

I have been thinking if asking this for a while, to see if anyone's experience is similar to mine. My Satellite city is the [3rd largest movie/TV making hub in North America](https://www.vancouvereconomic.com/film-television/) , and generally makes " 65+ movies and 55+ TV series annually, as well as hundreds of other f…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

Looking for female voice actor who sounds like "Wendy's Girl" Morgan Smith Goodwin

Hello, my company is looking to hire a voice actor who sounds like the "Wendy's Girl", Morgan Smith Goodwin. Here are a couple of links to example videos: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7ah_/wendys-salads-wedding https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AVnG/wendys-more-for-four We'll need the voice actor to say basic phrases and food names t…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Oct 2019

How long is too long to go without booking?

I’ve been doing some soul searching lately and trying to decide if acting is something I can continue to pursue as a career. I haven’t booked in a year. I haven’t even had a callback this year, and I’ve been getting less than stellar feedback at auditions. I’m just so confused, I’m training, I usually get private coach…

Backstage

Backstage · 20 Oct 2019

Is it ok to include a monologue on demo reel?

So i don't have a lot of footage to work with. I was going to include a clip from a short i did and also a clip of a taped monologue I did. The monologue was filmed against a plain wall with good lighting and camera. Is it not ok...

Backstage

Backstage · 20 Oct 2019

How do I format my resume correctly?

Any tips would be helpful. Also, do I include info such as my height/weight/eye color/hair color as well and any profile links (like aa, lacasting, etc?) here is a PDF of how it currently looks: file:///home/chronos/u-e99e9f3d522e806c7e8235979cb0b9719704f48d/MyFiles/Downloads/Noah%20Ayden%20Khan%20Resume.pdf

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2019

Horror short in need of male voice actor [PAID]

Hey there folks. We recently wrapped a horror short film that’s centered around a guy listening to an audiobook when it starts describing the night he’ll be murdered. We have a low budget I’m willing to pay for your time and work, we can chat rates :) I need a male reader with a medium to low voice. The audiobook carri…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2019

need some advice asap

I'm working on a short film as an actor for the first time... I've been in the business for a while, just, on the other side of the camera.... I'm still not quite sure how or why it happened but it did... I'm actually doing this.... still can't believe it myself.... anyway it's just two days of filming and the first da…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2019

Looking for Voice Actors for Youtube Series

Hi. I'm looking for voice actors for a fantasy series on Youtube. I will pay for the work ($30 per episode or I can negotiate a price with you). Please DM me if you're interested. :D

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2019

Callbacks

Do they tell all the actors who get a callback at once? Or do they do it one at a time as they see each person. Not sure if that makes sense or not

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2019

Preamp recommendations?

Hello hello voice actors. I am currently using a usb mic (Blue Yeti) with the Reaper DAW. I am looking to try and go to a xlr mic and needed to get a preamp that can connect to my Mac. I don’t have a large budget and wanted to know if anyone out there has some recommendations about what I should look for out there. Tha…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2019

I lost control of my actions while acting angry

I am playing Jud Fry in a production of Oaklahoma! and at a few points in the show Jud gets angry. We are doing run throughs at the moment. This particular instance was the smokehouse scene with Curly. When I stood up in a fit of rage and shot the ceiling I realized that after building up my emotions and becoming angry…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Oct 2019

Production Assistant as a survival job?

Would a Production Assistant be a good survival job for an aspiring actor? I know it’s probably not a flexible job, but my thought is that it would help me learn about the process/what it’s like being on set, and there’s always the perk of being able to make industry connections. The thing I’m the most worried about is…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

Looking for Trish Una voice actor!

Looking for a female voice for Trish Una. Currently working on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure; Abridged Wind. ​ **DM ME IF INTERESTED** [.](https://i.redd.it/36g5tmst6et31.jpg)

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

If you could generalize, are people in "the industry" nice?

I am looking through actors access and would love to take a shot at any role whatsoever. Clearly it'd be a small one to start, but acting just seems so damn fun and I think those are the intentions I should have. Not notoriety, fame, attention, ect - Just doing it because you enjoy it. My fear is that people in the ind…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

Please don’t get offended. Does this make me a bad actor/actress?

Ok so I’m wondering if this thought process could hold me back as an actor or help me out in the long run. I am an actress with Asperger’s syndrome and I have always seen acting as being in my own world or pretending is what you could say. When I get into it I feel like I am that character and the world around me can j…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

Help! Been sent a script. Character is good BUT...

Hello everyone! I have recently been sent a feature film script, through my agent, who said the writer and the director want to know if I'm interested in playing one of the two supporting/lead characters. I don't get this very often but it sometimes happens. I read through the script as fast as I could, it is a pretty…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

When/how to make a video reel?

So I’ve been really trying at acting for about a month and a half now. I’ve had two roles so far: one as an extra in a commercial (no speaking lines) and one for a Movember thing sponsored by Planters. I’ve been applying to a bunch of roles on Backstage/Actors Access but one thing I notice is that a lot of roles requir…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

Black actors

Helo everyone, I'm Léo from São Paulo Brazil and this group help me a lot. I'm in Second year of graduation in drama. This year I start my investigation in How many Black people is doing art. How is the carrer of Black actor in the theatre and cinema. I have a friends from NY, he was here in Brazil and he told me abou…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

Starting from zero... but, how?...

Hello, I’ll make this quick, I dream about being an actor, I love everything about it, but I don’t know where to start, I am from the Middle East, but I want to move out to the US to pursue my dream once I’ll be able to, but how and where do I start? I’ve tried to get in contact with Talent Agencies and sadly I haven’t…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

Looking for voice actors!!!

So my cousin is starting a gacha series with voice actors, contact her for info on discord @itsyourpowertodoroki #3281

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

My first principal/majorly paying role!

Hey guys so since I've last posted I started taking an acting class at my CC and been on a couple more smaller sets for short films, but what i was really excited about was a gig I was booked for last week Back in september I saw a casting call for a pretty well known ticketing company casting for their commerical that…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Oct 2019

This strikes me as uncomfortable...

I submit to a role on Actors Access, and then they asked me to read for the role. They gave 2 scenarios to improv to... Fine, ok. I find out a couple days later that I booked it. It's a SAG project, cool. I briefly chat with the creative team. They are doing some rewrites, but I'll get the script soon. I then get the s…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2019

Should I leave my agent?

Hey all! I frequent here but I made an alt specifically for this post because I’m kind of a paranoid person and don’t want to give away info of myself. I’m an Actor in Portland, 19 years old and I’m with an agency. Over the past year I’ve had maybe 10 auditions max. I know Portland is a medium-small market and I’m not…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2019

Should I persue acting?

Hi guys, Thanks for taking the time to read this. Ever since a little girl I've imagined myself as an actress. I literally dream about it listening to dramatic music ALLLLLL the time. I think to this point it's eating me inside because I just don't know if I should go to uni for it? Has anyone ever felt like this befor…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2019

Your opinion about how close the camera is to you?

As a director and cinematographer I'm curious to hear what you think as an actor when the camera is close to you or far from you? There has been a bunch of discussion this past year in the camera department about the sensor sizes in digital cameras, some people like to capture images in a way where they bring the camer…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2019

Acting Means Business

This business has prizes - Oscars, Emmys, and Tonys. I got them all. I wanted to represent actors who were capable of getting the nominations and the awards. As an agent, I represented Edward Norton, William H. Macy, Lynne Thigpen, Howard Rollins, Chris Noth, Rainn Wilson, Robert Prosky, Robert Lupone. These are names…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2019

How does someone get involved in the VO industry?

For a long time now I've had many people tell me that I would be a good potential voice actor (as I'm sure many of the talents here have). but I'm just more or less lost on how to get myself out there. I live in a fairly small town that doesn't harbor really any local work, so I figure my best chances are to try my han…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Oct 2019

I’ve been given a day to learn a monologue for an audition. Help please

Any advice? I just started college and I can’t really rehearse the monologue out loud cause everyone would hear and won’t want to(I live in the dorms). I don’t know where to go for privacy here. I can memorize it and practice it but depending on how loud I need to be I cannot do it fully. The director also said either…