Acting forums, all in one place

19,657 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Nov 2019

Getting into acting with a foreign language degree?

Hi everyone, In September/October 2020 I'll be starting a German degree at university. I always thought being an actor would be a great profession, but in the end I decided not to pursue it. However, I recently came across an article by [timeshighereducation.com](https://timeshighereducation.com) stating that *"languag…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Nov 2019

LA Background Acting: The Un-Ultimate, Unofficial Experience from a Newbie!

Over 48 hours, I started my new hobby. Background Acting. With 3 goals in mind. 1. Perform law enforcement type backgrounds such as police officer, deputy sheriff, FBI agent, etc. 2. Obtain my SAG-AFTRA card, but enjoy the ride until then. 3. Take acting classes and start co-starring with small lines, first in student…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Nov 2019

[RANT] So close

I feel like me being a minor is seriously holding me back. I go to auditions, get multiple callbacks, but they always comment on me being a minor and I never hear back. This one in particular I thought I had in the bag. I went to several callbacks, even a makeup test, but this morning they offered for me to play an ext…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Nov 2019

Is it possible to over-rehearse?

For some scripts, an actor/actress has to be very sensitive right? So would too much rehearsing desensitise them from the emotional impact of the scene. Reason I’m asking this is because the more we’re exposed to something, the less sensitive we become to it. For example, a sad scene in a movie is massively impactful t…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2019

Difficulty in handling an actor friend, please advise

Obligatory not an actor disclaimer. I’ve got a friend who is trying to become an actor and has not had success but they’re only three years into pursuing it so they’re not outlandish by any stretch. They recently finished writing a one-man play and they’re keen for me and a few others to watch it and give honest feedba…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2019

Seeking Stephen King impersonation

I am currently writing a special original short film for my YouTube channel, and am seeking a voice actor who is able to deliver a convincing impersonation of our master of horror himself, Stephen King. I am looking for the closest impersonation that i can find. If anyone is interested in sending over an audition tape,…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2019

Fellow Torontonians

Where are you guys going did casting calls? All throughout the summer to around the end of September I had about 4-5 auditions. Most casting sites now (actors access, backstage, eboss, etc.) have been either dry or not as diverse. It may be just a drought but if you all have any recommendations, please let me know. I e…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2019

anyone ever done “philip glass buys a loaf of bread”? need some help

in my drama class (in high school) we’re performing one-acts and i’m playing philip glass in the above mentioned “philip glass buys a loaf of bread”. i was hoping for some tips on how to go about this production; unfortunately we can’t sing it (like i would prefer to; i’m also music director for the whole show) because…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2019

How’s the acting scene in the UK?

Howdy, So I recently applied to study at the second best acting school in the world. I made it to the call back and now have to wait until after the 10th of December to see if I’ve made it into the actual school. But realistically speaking, I’m not too hopefully. Only 20 people will be chosen, and they’re going to mult…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2019

Can anyone help me to get started

I'm 17 yers old boy i want to a great actor I think i am a piece off shit because everytime i post people start roasting me Anyways plz for the last time in my life help me to get to LA plz

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2019

I Don't Feel Emotions

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve never really felt or experienced emotion. Whether something very good or very bad happens, I feel pretty much the same on the inside. I’ve been told I have no empathy and have trouble reading other people. I’ve also been told I have a poker face and never express any emotion. ​ That…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2019

starting off.

Hey all, I know this is probably asked a lot, but I kind of wanted to hear from all of you what is some advice for a voice actor who is just starting off? (I know vague question)

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2019

How to not sound like an amateur while acting?

Kind of hard to explain unless you've ever seen a high school theatre production or have just been a self-aware kid actor, but something I've noticed in all of my school productions is that everyone sounds the same. Even some of the more experienced kids all have the same time, like none of them are thinking the lines,…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2019

Who Chooses Voice Actors?

Do the creators choose or does the company choose? Just asking for the future because I would like too choose since I already have the voices in mind for my characters

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2019

Chameleon Actors

I’m really interested in chameleon actors. People like Joaquin Phoenix and Meryl Streep who don’t even seem to be acting, it’s like an entirely different freaking human being, to the point where you don’t even recognize them in spite of the same face/body. Who do you also find to be a chameleon? How do you think they d…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Nov 7

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2019

How do people react to you acting

Hello! Do you as an actor tell people good news when you get the chance? Let’s say a new episode or commercial releases with you in it... do you tell all your friends? Or do you keep it to yourself? I usually don’t post anything on social media so I usually keep my friends updated via text with good news. But I feel th…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2019

Blocking/miming in a self-tape?

I've got a self-tape audition for a feature film, and I'd like some advice re: physical aspects of the scenes. There are a few parts in the sides in which I'm supposed to drop to my knees / point a rifle menacingly at someone / hold a baby. How would you handle these physical directives as actors? I don't have the tech…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2019

On "changes needed" to in order to book more high profile work...

Hey /r/acting. Recently we had a post get some traction where the OP wanted to hear from people who took years to book their first television co-star or other high profile work/professional credits and wondered how they moved to that 'next level.' Specifically he asked: **(1.) why do you think that was (that it took ye…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2019

Is it... slow for anyone right now?

I’m fully repped, in the Los Angeles market and am a popular type.... used to auditioning 2 times a week average. For almost two months it’s been crickets for me. Just wondering if there’s anyone else out there experiencing this! What do you guys do during slow periods????? My class that I’m in doesn’t start back up un…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Nov 2019

Filming emotional scenes

I know with comedy, usually each scene is performed multiple times, of course depending on time and other external factors. Sometimes multiple takes are used for opportunities to improvise. But when it comes to very heavy scenes in dramas, are those typically filmed only once? Some performances seem so emotionally taxi…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Nov 2019

The new Actor’s Access layout is crap.

I can’t filter by region on my phone when I’m web browser. The app doesn’t filter by region. What are the developers thinking? It was fine before!

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Nov 2019

Leaving my agent

I want to leave my agent. What should be my first move? What should I ensure before I move on. Would you recommend leaving without representation if youre getting nothing from them anyway? (London based actor. Recently graduated drama school)

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Nov 2019

Should I consider a different name?

I’m starting to get more into personal branding, and it got me thinking about my brand as an actor. I have a fairly common name, and even though there aren’t any famous celebrities with my name, there are plenty of IMDB profiles. I really don’t want to completely change my first or last name, but I will if I have no ot…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Nov 2019

Reviews of Vancouver Film School Acting Programs and Recommendations

In February I auditioned as part of VFS’s live audition tour and I got in, but given how expensive it is (tuition and living costs), I want some honest reviews from people who studied there. From what I’ve read I know it’ll be a lot of hard work, but I’d love some more information on the quality of education and if it…

Backstage

Backstage · 5 Nov 2019

Morning routine before an audition in NY?

Hey guys! As many of you are non-eq/emc hustling actors, you probably have your morning routines down before heading into an audition. Can you walk me through what that looks like? I’d love to know the specifics like when you workout, vocally warm up, put your makeup on, center your...

Backstage

Backstage · 5 Nov 2019

Freelancing -Auditions

When you are freelancing with a commercial agent, how long does it take to start getting frequent auditions?

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Nov 2019

Any one a teacher and also an actor? Could use advice.

So I am super passionate about theatre but I am also passionate about teaching. I know a lot of actors work in schools in some capacity or another (at least where I live). Some people say that doing both theatre and working as a teacher just doesn't work out and others find that there is quite a good balance. If any on…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Nov 2019

How to find auditions

How do you find auditions without having to pay for backstage and stuff. And I mean legit auditions. I’m not talking about crazy big things but just little background stuff in shows or movies or commercials, maybe main roles if it fits. Writing a story about an actor and just need the basic how to

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Nov 2019

Are there any casting apps out there?

Hey So I'm studying User Experience Design and as I'm an amateur actor, I want to combine the two and program a casting and networking app for actors (initially for people in switzerland, which is where I live). My idea could be described as LinkedIn for actors, producers and other people involved in the acting busines…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

COD FANMADE SHORT

Hello everyone! I am in desperate need of volunteer actors, shoot me a msg for details.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

Special Thanks To Roy London- help!

actors of reddit, you're my last hope. i've been trying to find this doco either online to watch or as a dvd to purchase. every link i find is dead end. does anyone here have any leads at all? happy to pay for a copy. cheers!

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

Some Acting Agents (filmmaker here)

I just need to vent. I'm in actual awe with how bad some actors agents are. Rude, making life incredibly difficult, copious demands - this is coming from myself, a filmmaker at an indie level that's paying his actors and crew. ​ Here's where I'm coming from; I'm a freelance filmmaker/video editor in my day-to-da…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

Thoughts?

All, I've realized there are two types of actors. Film Actors who just need an intro class and a film acting class. And Musical Theatre/Theatre actors who need everything else. What is the consensus?

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

Voice Acting with Anxiety?

**Hello - and apologies in advance for the newbie post.** **I've (25, f) been interested in voice acting ever since I was a teenager. I grew up poor so there weren’t many opportunities for me to pursue my interests.** **My dad did try to turn me into a child star at one point so I was forced to take acting classes as a…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

Voice Acting in Anime

So my BIG DREAM is to be a voice actor in anime dubs or animation, although I just love voice acting in general. However, I could really use some advice from people with experience on how to get into the industry. I am only 17 and i am currently arranging a time to record a demo reel. Any advice, tips and warnings woul…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

Industry Professionals Being Awful for No Reason

I am completely floored lately by how incredibly rude and disrespectful people in this industry are behaving. I understand how busy agents and managers are so they can come off a bit gruff, but the people I'm talking about are the one's trying to market audition classes and workshops, moderators for acting/agent/manage…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

Character Development

When it comes to creating a new voice, what's your inspiration? I usually like to pull from emotions or personalities from video game or cartoon characters. Right now, I'm looking to the Neverwinter Nights voice sets as well as those from Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. I'd say both games offer some interesting bits of person…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

when to use union affilliation on actor's bio

Hey! If you are an actor in the union, would you label yourself an Actor or SAG-AFTRA Actor on your bio on say a social media channel like Twitter? Curious what y'all chosen to do.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Nov 2019

Tips for Building a Character from RADA

I have been wondering about these questions. Do people apply them for every page of a script or is it every act? How often do you apply these questions? I'm just wondering because anywhere I look it is never specified. Any help is very appreciated. Thank you [https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2009/may/09/character-buil…