Acting forums, all in one place

19,658 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Feb 2020

I'm about to give a hard decision.

Hey guys, I will try to keep it as short as possible. So, I'm 18 years old and I came to Germany a couple of months ago to study something that isn't my thing at all. Normally I wanted to be a theatre actor but the economic and social situation in my country made me change my mind. Well, it isn't that bad but I think t…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Feb 2020

Milwaukee Acting

I currently live in Milwaukee and I’m very hell bent on becoming an actor. I am looking to see if anyone knows of any projects out there in the Milwaukee area where I could get started on.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2020

Why so many annoying voices??

99.9% of voices in voice overs make my skin crawl. In real life I don’t find people’s voices annoying but on the radio or on TV the voice overs are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Almost all are women. But women in real life don’t sound like this. Women newscasters don’t sound like this. Women actors in commercials d…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2020

Acting

Can you become an actor as young and no experience, even not being living in US/UK?

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2020

How to get an older voice?

Hi! I'm directing a small play for my drama class and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to sound like an older man. The actor is an 18-year-old girl, so I understand it won't be easy and I do not expect it to sound perfect but it'd be nice if we could work with her voice slightly to give the illusion at least…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2020

How to get an older voice?

Hi! I'm directing a small play for my drama class and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to sound like an older man. The actor is an 18-year-old girl, so I understand it won't be easy and I do not expect it to sound perfect but it'd be nice if we could work with her voice slightly to give the illusion at least…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2020

I need guidance to jump start a career

What's up guys. I need some advice. I'm not here to say I am a great actor. But I've always loved film and know I can act and I know I want to tell stories. Ever since a kid I've always had dreams of things I do believe would be good movies. I never pursued this dream because I was lazy and scared to take a risk. But t…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2020

Need advice on making the right steps to find a Manager/Agent.

I've been in La since 2016, been a member of Sag for almost a year from now. I've worked La Casting and Actors Access, I honestly get like three gigs a year. I was in class but I'm not anymore because I can't afford it I have to eat and pay rent. I have a youtube channel 'Shukenstein,' where I have 12 short films. Alwa…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2020

Confidence

Okay. So. I’ll put a TL;DR down there. I started acting when I was 8, in local community theater. Realized at 12 or 13 that what I was doing wasn’t necessarily the real thing, and asked my parents to help facilitate finding a real acting school to study. So I started taking classes year round at an acting school connec…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2020

Guerilla warfare style of an industry breakthrough in LA. Need some help/opinions.

Hi folks! Theres a TL;DR at the bottom...I recently moved to LA in October, I'm non-union, but have worked on a major Netflix film set when I lived in Pittsburgh as a stand-in (out of SAG jurisdiction so I didnt get union status from it...grrrr). I'm a 25 year old white brunette female from the Rust Belt. Blue collar/r…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Feb 2020

Am I crazy?

I'm a 38 year old woman who has had a difficult life, and am only now reaching a place where I can focus on thriving instead of merely surviving. I've always wanted to be an actor and I have acted in a few plays and films, mostly regional / student (though I did land a Volvo commercial once!). I've never pursued acting…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Feb 2020

Market myself as a young bald actor?

Hey everyone! So to cut to the chase, I lost my hair at a pretty young age (18) due to illness. Ever since I initially shaved my head I was never able to get my hair to grow in and had to resort to wearing a hair system. It looks ok but is a lot of hassle and can look pretty fake at times (I’ve been clocked for wearing…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Feb 2020

Questions about residuals

Hi all, am not an actor but a big supporter and have a few friends in the business that sometimes ask me for more financial-related advice. A couple questions about residuals as I have dug in a bit: 1) It looks like the documentation I can find (e.g. SAG - Television agreement) says that residuals are based on the SAG…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Feb 2020

NON-Union Actor/Actress For Feature Film

Award winning Producer/Director looking for both Actor/Actress ages 25-35 for a feature film shot in North Jersey. 2 day shoot. Minimum locations. Will pay, let's discuss. NON\_UNION

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Feb 2020

Do I.... not want to be an actor anymore?!?

Hi internet! I need your input because I'm not sure I want to be an actor anymore and that scares me... I moved to LA 5 years ago, as so many of us do, and I've slowly realized I don't need to make money from acting to be happy doing it. Which is great! But now I'm faced with the quandary- should I move home and have a…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Feb 2020

What’s an appropriate amount of pay for yourself?

I myself do not act, but am at the point where I want to be hiring actors for shorts and commercials. Most of these people would be acquaintances I’ve met in the business (digital realm included) or also friends of friends. My question is, what would be considered the average day rate for actors at different levels of…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Feb 2020

Actors in Puerto Rico!

Looking for actors on the island to I guess hook me up with all of the tips and information needed to continue acting while being in Puerto Rico. I will be staying here for a little while and have done a bit of research here and there but I’m not finding anything very helpful asides from move back to NYC! I would like…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2020

I never realized how awful I sound

Just a heads up: This is just a gripe post I've always been a big fan of English Dub anime and the voice actors, and I never got the hate for Dubs. While the name pronounciation was always bad, I thought English Dubs were often very good. The hate for English Dubs was what inspired me months ago into voice acting. And…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2020

To all the actors...

As a film Director, I was wondering, what is something you hate hearing from a director? And what's something that you really wish you heard more of in a direcotr?

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2020

Accents: which one should I get?

I've been living in the UK for the past 6 years and recently, I decided to finally start chasing my dream of becoming an actor by (hopefully) enrolling in an acting school. English is not my first language and unfortunately, I'm afraid that this will be a big problem in my career (if I ever get to actually have an acti…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Feb 2020

Career choice

Hi. Some info: I'm a European aspiring actor. I'm not a native english speaker. I do although have a decent pronounciation. I've been taking acting classes, but I have never done theatre, just short-films. I'd like to expand outside of the small market I'm in and work in British/American productions. I've been offered…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Feb 2020

Jumping Into The Deep End: Auditions

Prefacing everything by saying I know that there probably is no ideal time (for most people, anyway) where they know that the stars have aligned and they're ready & that it's time to start auditioning. That said, how did you all know you had the confidence and skill to put yourselves out there and actually start auditi…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Feb 2020

Low budget short films. Yay or nay?

I'm an actor and need some advice. Is it advisable to act in low budget short films? There's some films on a shoestring budget that have great production quality, but they are the exception usually. I just don't want to jeapordise my career early on as the low budget films could make me look 'bad'. Should I hold out fo…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Feb 2020

Can I find any aspiring adult actresses here?

I’m trying to make my own amateur porn videos with good acting and good production value! Got really inspired by Marks Head Bobbers and Hand Jabbers and how he kinda does his whole production.

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Feb 2020

Let's Talk About Going Fi-Core

Hey actors, I'm currently looking into going Fi-core to tap into a bigger market. I have theatrical rep, commercial rep, and a manager and none of them really know the truth behind what going fi-core means for a sag actor. Neither do I! So I was hoping we could use this thread as a resource for now, and as future refer…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Feb 2020

What email provider should I use as an actor?

Currently I'm signed with boston casting, I want a good looking email, i tried gmail but everything i could think of with my name was taken, even though my name is relatively uncommon (walter norcross) what free provider should I use?

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2020

Aussie Actor

Hiiiii I’m wondering if there are many Aussie Actors in this group? I’m based in Melbourne :-) Any agents you can recommend in Melbourne? Or great classes to get into? I’ve got my eye on one (Howard Fine), just want to see what you could recommend. Really keen to get into extras work!! ♥️

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2020

Audition class making me feel like shit.

I decided to take an auditioning class. They film you each week, and its driving me crazy because the camera the casting director uses makes my face look wider than it actually is. What sucks is everything that comes through my state is cast through that guy, so when I get a real audition...my face also looks distorted…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2020

Question regarding EDD unemployment for actors in LA

Hello. I have a few questions regarding filling out claim forms. 1) Does unemployment contact casting directors or production companies to verify why the actors wasn't hired? 2) On the weekly claim form it ask for work search for that week, and who was the contact person. It just ask for name of company and who did the…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2020

What is it like attending an audition for a high-profile production?

Hey there, I was just thought of how nerve-wracking it could be to be sitting in a waiting room full of familiar faces from film and television. Actors who have proven their talent and are potentially going for the same role as you. Have any of you ever had this experience? What was it like? Sorry if my question isn't…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2020

Advice on acting problem

So I’ve seen several interviews of actors I admire where they don’t prepare for their roles before rehearsal begins and also out of the rehearsal space. And one actor even mentioned how she chats with her company members right before the show starts and not get distracted. And I am the complete opposite. I haven’t had…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2020

How do you get into acting?

I’m a guy in my early 20s. I’ve been working for past few years and was previously working over 80 hours a week. I guess the reason why I work so much is because I can’t stop. It is merely an addiction and I love it. I’m depressed when I’m not working. And I’m tired of working ‘normal’ jobs. I want to use this drive to…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2020

Question about work and building a portfolio.

Despite the hate for fiverr (I know, I don't like it either and I'm working on getting off of there. Seriously. I'm just trying to get more experience) I recently received a random order from a large youtube channel with 1Million+ subscribers.I'm happy about the work but I understand anyone else doing this for a channe…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2020

Question about an audition i got from actors access

So I received an audition via AA, and the casting director didn’t include the sides - as far as I can see. Usually it appears under the “instructional media” section, but all the CD has listed is a character breakdown. Is there something I’m missing? Or is there any way to get in touch with the CD via AA to let them kn…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jan 2020

Left side only, Please help

Hello one and all, I am a experienced actor throwing my hat into the game of voice acting however a lot of the techno stuff is flying right over my head. I figured out a good amount on my own through trial and error and youtube videos (Thank God I live in the 21st century.) However one issue I have come across is that…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2020

Need help with health insurance as an actor!

Hi! I'm an actress in Washington, currently non-union, been full-time acting for almost a year now and have medicaid. Some opportunities have started to arise, and my agent is saying I may need to move to LA very soon (turnaround is so quick in this industry as we all know...). I'd be living between California and Wash…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2020

UNCSA Casting Call Feb 8: Audition for 16 shorts at once

All the details and the breakdowns are on the Facebook Event: [UNCSA CASTING CALL](https://www.facebook.com/events/186556699210493/?active_tab=discussion) Since so many post here tend to be of the "how do I get cast without a reel/parts without experience/build a resume without an agent/etc.?" I figured I would post th…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jan 30

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2020

Getting over disappointment?

I was called back for a play and it was me and 2 other people going neck and neck reading for the lead all night. This wouldve been my first lead (or even really sizeable role) and I got my hopes up. I didnt get the lead but got a large supporting part. That being said, I'm still feeling the sadness and disappointment…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2020

Acting within the UK

Hello ​ I am looking for actors in the UK and about continued business and income. I am currently looking at buying a home and have found many places in the UK which are very affordable but put me outside of range of London, is it impossible/very difficult to build a career in the UK away from London? or is it y…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2020

A slap across my face!

This is much like u/Endurlay's post! Our stories are quite similar, so thank you for the inspiration dude! I am 26 as well and just last november it hit me that I want to be a voice actor. All my life I had been a performer, but all my life i have had terrible self doubt. I broke out of my shell in high school with doi…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2020

My first demo

I've been voice acting on the side for years but never tried establishing myself. Thought I'd give it a try using one of my favorite voice actors of all time as inspiration. I love voicing villain characters so I decided to go with one for my demo Need me for a project? I check my email every day. Send me an offer at m…