Acting forums, all in one place

19,658 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2020

Breakdown Services Question on Submissions from the Agency Side

Curiosity question for anyone who has seen the agency submission side of Breakdown Services (Actors Access is the side for actors to see): Basic question: How does it work to submit your clients for a role? ​ Like, I know on the AA side, you can do the filter for "breakdowns that fit me" and see things for your…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jan 2020

How do I start getting into it?

I’ve been thinking about being a voice actor for a while. However, I’m a bit nervous. There’s so many questions I want to ask and research I want to do, but I have no idea where or even when to take my first step.

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Questions from a starting actor in London

Hi everyone, I am a 23 years old guy who just moved to London. I would like to be as prepared as I can so I will try to ask as many question as I can to leave every doubt out and finally sleep more peacefully as some thoughts excite and others terrify me. Some will be related to acting and some points won’t. Please fee…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Should I be an actor?

Tbh this me looking for external validation, because I go back and forth in my brain all the time, but I still feel like asking all of you. I have really liked acting for a while. I like most forms of art. I want to create what inspires me. A huge thing that inspires me is musicals. I want to do stuff like that. I also…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Moving from NYC to Chicago for more acting opportunities?

I’ve lived in NY for almost 4 years and absolutely love it here. Made so many friends, relationships, fun memories, etc. I really feel like a part of the city. However, my acting career isn’t really going anywhere. I’ve done a bunch of downtown low/no pay theatre and some student and indie films. I maybe get one really…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

I'm 18 and would love to be an actor, but never partook in theatre during highschool. I'm too nervous to post a picture on r/castmeas, but here's my wishlist of characters I'd love to play.

1. Macduff from Shakespeare's Macbeth 2. Jason Voorhees from the Friday The 13th franchise. 3. The Joker from DC publications. (Insert SOCIETY jokes here.) 4. Doctor Satan from Rob Zombie's House Of A Thousand Corpses. 5. Dr. Facieler from Disney's The Princess And The Frog. (I'm Caucasian, but race isn't everything th…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Where to apply to an agency as a voice actor?

So I've been voice acting for about 5ish years now and have collectively reached 400 Million people worldwide via YouTube projects that I've played major roles in. (Weird flex but okay) My point is I really want to try and use that as leverage to maybe get an opportunity with an agency but I seriously have no idea wher…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Looking to 'Upgrade' Agents - NYC

Hi all, NYC based actor here, and I'm fortunate enough to be at the stage where I've got some solid high profile credits under my belt. I've been with my current agent for nearly 5 years. I'm sensing for me to continue to progress in my career, my current reps don't have the power to get me into the bigger rooms. I'm l…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

ACTING CHANNEL

I’ve never seen another channel that focuses on just the art of acting. Not tips or how to’s, just an enjoyment of growth from an actor. A deeper look. SUBSCRIBE[Welcome! ](https://youtu.be/VzvZuftnC2g)

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Good/Bad Teachers

I’ve taken a few acting classes, some in college and some after graduating. The thing is I think most of my teachers really weren’t great, maybe not even good. In college my acting classes were taught by young TAs since I wasn’t a Theatre/Drama major and post college my teachers have been young working actors but not n…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Meeting with Talent Agency

So I just set up a meeting with my first talent agency in Cali. The meeting is with So Cal Talent. I’ve been trying to find reviews but there are only two reviews on google. The agency is located down in Huntington Beach but they said in there email that it in no way hinders there ability to get their actors work. Does…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Being a mom and an actress

A little bit of my back story. I was 18 when I had my daughter. I have always wanted to be an actress but went straight into beauty school to support my daughter, I realized I hated it and am a waitress now. I decided to go for it and take up acting classes last year and just got headshots and an agent meeting this wee…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Atlanta Actors

I'm an Atlanta based actor, 22 year old male, who is interested in collaborating on any projects. Just throwing myself out there, if anybody here is making their own projects I'm down to help collaborate. Not sure if this is appropriate or not but I'd love to make some friends and work on some projects with fellow hung…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Can anyone recommend a voice and speech class in the NYC area?

I am a stage actor looking for some help with diction and articulation. I would love to pick up some new exercises and warm-ups and really work toward building better habits. I'd prefer to do a class or workshop because working privately with a coach is probably more costly than I can manage at the moment. Has anyone t…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jan 2020

Getting Started: Gear Checklist

Hi all! I am primarily a film/stage actor but I’ve been able to do a number of voiceover and eLearning projects last year and really feel ready to add Voice Acting to my overall acting wheelhouse. I have been scouring this sub and others like it, picking the brains of the pro audio engineers I’ve been able to work with…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2020

What do you do to keep your skills sharp?

Hey everybody, I was reading through a monologue today and a thought popped up in my head. I was wondering how actors on this thread practice and stay sharp while not in acting classes or on set or on stage? I have my own methods that I consistently use to practice. I’m just curious how everyone else does it and maybe…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2020

LLC or S Corporation for actors

Is there any actor here (Of if you know) that are getting paid as an LLC or Corporation ? I have some questions Thanks a lot guys !!

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2020

Why do I see so many voice actors go into teaching?

I wanna preface making it clear that I am by no means an expert on the industry, and pretty noob on my studies of the VO biz... Which is why I'm interested in asking and welcome to being educated on the matter. It feels like every other voice actors testimonial I read also plugs that they do voice over classes. Some mo…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2020

How do you deal with burnout and dissatisfaction?

Hello, Long story short- I've been wanting to be an actor forever. I ignored my need for it and stopped my life from 10-35 until I let myself find a place to really study it for a few years. Finally found a place, basically worked. Still denied some closure..but got the majority work done. Now not sure if I should find…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2020

How did YOU go about seeking a VA/VO coach?

Hello! My name is Claire, and I am looking to start getting into voice acting. I know it isn't enough on its own, but people tell me a lot that I have a good voice. It is the one quality about me I take pride in. On top of this, I've always been on the creative side, always enjoying the process of a character in a game…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2020

Switching between male and female voice?

Hey, I was thinking about this for a while and thought this was probably the best place to post this question. I'm not really a voice actor, I sometimes to voiceovers for fun, but that's mostly it. I've recently found a band with a (male) singer who can switch between a male sounding and female sounding voice. It's so…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2020

THE FOUR AGREEMENTS AS APPLIED TO ACTING

One of my favorite self help books I read years ago (and I keep going back to) is “The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom” by Don Miguel Ruiz. The book offers very down to earth advice that is said to be based on ancient Toltec wisdom. It advocates freedom from self-limiting beliefs that may cause s…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2020

Meisner For ADHD

Hello! I finally built up the courage and enrolled in my first acting class in October last year - so far I'm loving it, but as someone with ADHD I'm finding it very difficult to properly 'listen' without looking like I'm distracted (i.e., I believe I'm truly listening, but have a hard time maintaining eye-contact and…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Jan 2020

Branding Surveys

Hi Reddit actors! The Texas State BFA Acting class of 2020 would love your input about our brand. Attached to this post is a Google Doc of eleven surveys about the members of my class. While the surveys may look long, in reality each quiz takes no more than three minutes to finish. The surveys are also 100% confidentia…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jan 2020

Pauses in dialogue

Hi! I'm a little frustrated/confused and looking for some insight. I'm in my second acting class and paired with an incredible, working actor. They're helping me a tremendous deal in our scene practice. The thing is, they keep telling me to take out my pauses. I'm attempting to mimic what I see the best film actors doi…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jan 2020

Just finished my first acting class, it was amazing!

I just completed my first acting class a couple of nights ago and it was awesome! I never had any formal training or experience besides the ones I had in college when I was able to do theater, short films and other student projects (that's when I got bit by the acting bug) but put in on hold because of life. Now I'm ol…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jan 2020

Does Nationality effect?

So, I'm an aspiring actor that hopes to one day break big just like I'm sure what most of us in this thread dream about also. Problem is that I'm from Europe and from my research, I have 2 large obstacles for me to overcome. One is that of acquiring a VISA and actually settling down in the United States, which I'm sure…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Jan 2020

Free Website/Online Resume Offer

Hi all! I’m a web designer currently building my portfolio to offer design services to actors, musicians and other types of performers and creatives. Instead of making examples out of made up people, I thought I’d offer a couple free websites for actors who may be just starting out or not able to afford one right now.…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jan 2020

Learning Duration

Hello everyone. I'm 22 and have just begun with an online acting class. By the time I finish my current major in the university I will be 23. I wanted to know how long would it take for me to study and practice enough in acting to be ready for auditioning. Can study and practice at the same time and be ready in 2 years…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jan 2020

Aspiring voice actor

Hey everyone. I am an aspiring voice actor who just started his own Youtube channel. I am only a beginner and have very basic equipment right now but if you guys have time please feel free to check out my channel. I only have a few videos up so far but I upload every week so more are definitely on the way. Thank you so…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jan 2020

Would it be worth going to drama school after I graduate from my current university? If I get into drama school I'll be graduating in my late 20s. I'm scared of starting acting so late, but then I want drama school training so much.

I’m at a university that has nothing to do with acting. I realised my wish to become an actor too late after I had gotten in. I’ve acted several times in a drama society, and during a couple of English drama classes and it was so exhilarating. I have around a year left until graduation so I’m desperately searching for…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jan 2020

What is a book that has helped you as an actor that isn't about acting?

I saw someone recommend *Never Eat Alone* on here the other day which I'm loving so far. The author, Keith Ferrazzi, is an entrepreneur and the book details how to network in a "socially healthy and mutually beneficial way." I find it's really helping me have a more realistic mindset regarding my relationships with oth…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jan 2020

My acting rant post

I’m just here to rant for a bit. I honestly hate it and find it very rude when you respond to a actor request, you have mail contact for a bit, call once and then suddenly don’t hear anything anymore. This has happened with me with some big gigs, which I’m less mad about. But it happens pretty often that small student…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Jan 2020

Any tips or tricks when getting into acting

I have just started getting into acting and I wanna become an actor someday in Disney movies and for other companies. I just don’t know how or where to start and I’m only 16 any help would be appreciated.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2020

Really struggling

Hey guys. Kinda just want to vent here as I need to say something to someone. I’m in one of the worst holes of I’ve ever been my life and I feel more incapable than ever. I moved to LA ten years ago; auditioned a bunch and burnt out after about three years. The lack of opportunity and control over my destiny coupled wi…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2020

New to Film Acting!

So I’m going to try my share of acting for tv/film. I’ve been a stage actor for years but have never done film before. Any big differences that I need to keep in mind, or any pieces of advice if you’re starting film?

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2020

Do I need anything before I sign up on audition websites?

Read reviews and would like to sign up for backstage, actors access, etc but I am wondering if there is anything I should have before I sign up on this site and similar sites. I am a voice actor with a bit of work, been doing improv for about a year. Should I get a headshot, acting reel or anything else? I do not want…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2020

The Manikin Agency - legit?

Greetings, all. I am a voice actor and upon networking for representation, I came across the Manikin agency. Their website looked innocent enough. I noticed voiceover work in their extended list of services, so I decided to reach out. Here’s where the first red flag appeared... Instead of filling out an online form and…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2020

What's your opinion on Bryce Papenbrook as a voice actor?

This has probably been asked before, but I'm legitimately curious to hear people's opinions on him after directly asking, because the consensus on him seems to change depending on where you go to. My personal opinion on him is he's not a bad voice actor, on par with a lot of other people, but he is overcast and there a…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2020

Who here is a happy professional actor?

The more and more posts I see here, and the more folks I talk to in the industry, the more I find how unhappy the majority of us are; no matter the stage of our career. I am hoping that some working professional actors can comment below some tips and advice for how they're able to work their career and be happy! I know…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jan 2020

What does it take to be a good actor?

Is it necessary to go to a drama school or something like that? Or natural talent and exercise can do the trick? After all acting is just imitation of people Do you know some Hollywood stars who never had acting classes?