Acting forums, all in one place

19,658 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2020

how do actors use Instagram to improve their brand/network/ etc?

Hello everybody! I constantly hear that branding is important for actors. So I wanted to see what ways you use Instagram to improve your brand? Do you even use it? I think it’s bit complicated because I don’t know what to post. I feel like some people just post high quality pictures of themselves? Is it about following…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2020

summer intensive in the southeast

hi!! i’m a fairly new actress (19) looking for intensives in the southeast area. i’m based in NE florida but expect better studios to be in the atlanta area. i want to do on-screen work so not theatre intensives.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2020

Am I in a catch-22?

I feel like I'm a bit stuck. I want to take my acting to the next step but I don't know where to focus on next. I have headshots, I have a bit of work on my reel, I'm on actors access but haven't been getting a ton of auditions. I'm non union and do not have any kind of representation at the moment. I just left my old…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2020

Should I take a break from acting and see where things go?

It's not that I feel discouraged, it's just that I'm starting to see myself more and more as a writer (whether of books, plays or screenplays) and a film director and I can sense how much more talent and passion I have for these fields. I still like acting and I intend to stay in my theatre club for some more time, but…

Backstage

Backstage · 16 Feb 2020

Seeking an agent in NYC! Where do I start?

Hello, I have been in New York for about a year and have been auditioning as much as I can. I do not have equity and it took me awhile to figure out the entire process, but I think I have it now! I feel that I am in need…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2020

Audition Help Needed

Hello All, Working actor here and been so for several years now on Television & Film but you can never stop learning in this business. I moved out of NYC to NC so now all my auditions are "self tape" auditions. Lately I have been getting audition scenes that has a lot of dialogue between other characters in my scene. T…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2020

Is too much really better than ‘not enough’?

I started my major in acting last year、and have learned so much already… as well as recognizing that I have much left to learn. last semester I enrolled in a class that I had such high hopes for、only to be disappointed by a instructor that seemed to belittle me at almost every possible given opportunity. Always ‘forget…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2020

Best ways to network as a new, middle-aged actor in Los Angeles ?

I'm currently taking voice acting classes and will soon start up with Improv classes again (both in Hollywood), but I feel I can do more. I'm still new and not yet good enough to do much, but I'd like to be more active among the acting community so that I can learn about roles. Are there facebook groups that led to rea…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2020

Controlling your tears?

Hey, do you guys have any advice to cry on purpose naturally? I know that movie actors use menthol, but I need to learn how to cry on command for theater so I can’t exactly use such things :/

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2020

VA's on Spotlight

Hi guys So I know the site Spotlight.com is one of the biggest casting sites out there for actors, and it's where the majority of good stuff comes from. I've been in quite a few small projects now, paid and unpaid, but I'm really looking to find something a bit more substantial. To sign up with Spotlight however, you h…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2020

Diverse Voice actors wanted for Star Wars RPG podcast stories (one-off appearances)

Hello! my name is Joe Redemann (@RedFortySeven on Twitter), and I am putting together a podcast that uses the Star Wars role-playing game system to tell one-off anthology stories set in the years after Return of the Jedi! Our mission In creating this actual play podcast is to Expand the Galaxy: we want to create storie…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2020

Representation Advice

I'm a 26-year-old actress. I started taking classes and doing theatre when I was 5, and booked my first professional role on stage at 8. I continued performing through high school. In my senior year of high school, I became ill and was forced to take a break from performing for a few years. I got back into it in 2014 a…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2020

I feel like my body gets in the way of my acting all the time.

I think I'm a decent actor for the level that I'm at but the more that I become aware of my body and the more criticisms I get about my acting is usually about my body movement/language. How does one get to a stage where they're graceful and every move is meaningful instead of distracting? For example both while acting…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2020

Actors and Taxes

This is probably thee most unwanted post we Actors like to talk about, but Taxes. I'm not sure if being paid as an Non-Union Actor is something we claim within a 1099-MISC if used towards business expense. Do we receive the 1099-MISC form, or do we file the 1099-MISC with the saved receipts when filing taxes?

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2020

For actors without representation

How do you guys feel about not getting auditions after submitting for roles via casting websites? I really wanted to at least get an audition for this short film but didn’t hear anything after submitting :/ so yea... kinda discouraginghaha

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2020

I can’t act my self confidence.

Hi! New to reddit. I’m an actor from Quebec, Canada. I had the chance to have a lot of opportunities in many productions. Career went really well for maybe 4/5 years. But bam. In the last 3 years I only had one role. Self Confidence took a hit, but I can’t seem to regain that confidence. Last week, I had the chance to…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2020

Making a website for newbs

Hey does anyone have advice on making an actor website for someone just starting out? Best ways of going about it, what to include what to leave out etc; thank you!

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2020

Extra role opportunity

So I have a professional regular job but have always been interested in doing extra work. There is a big movie shooting in my city right now I got called for a extra part but it requires overnight shooting for the next 3 nights. It’s part of a group of running people with what I assume is an action scene. Should I take…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2020

Best ways to network as a young actor in Toronto ?

I already take acting classes , what other ways can I network with people in the industry specifically in Toronto ? I’ve been to some meetups some good some bad , so far the Toronto scene seems small despite it being the best place to start acting in Canada besides Vancouver ?Would love some advice

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2020

Slightly questionable request in self-tape audition

So I understand that you can't really be choosy or a diva when you're at the bottom like I am, but I'm having some reservations about this "callback" self-tape audition. I'm being asked to do something pretty stupid/embarrassing, but in context it's understandable and makes sense for the part. It's for a student film a…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2020

Can Agencies Attach Themselves To Self-Submits on Actors Access?

I self-submitted myself for a casting and ended up getting an eco-cast audition—except it somehow came through with one of my reps. I’ve self-submitted myself before and booked gigs and not had this happen so I’m not sure if maybe I got double submitted (by myself and said agency). What strikes me as odd however is tha…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2020

Working background in LA.

Hello, I am a veteran on a pension. I like to work background for extra income. I have no desire to be a real actor but the flexibility and food on set is great for me as my side gig. I know it sounds crazy to say I love background but it works for me. I have mostly only worked non union in Louisiana. It’s been a while…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2020

Never book but i think i know why..

Hello all, I never book. I finally got an answer. I don't commit enough. Which is weird because I think of myself as a 'method' actor haha. Most times I audition for things I don't have a real connection or everyone is white, and I'm just auditioning because I want to say I exhausted everything. Would more training hel…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Feb 13

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2020

Need Voice Actors!

i wrote a little script for a south park style animation and i think it came out good but now i need voices. i would pay, but quite frankly i probably won’t be making any money off the animation! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1--i6uGIFB81nhVVYUPFhwPWu15i1vzduTWHBRLTARd0 this is the script and i got a little animat…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2020

Any good tips for making myself sound like a girl?

So I’m trying to resemble the voice of Kath Soucie (mostly her younger characters) and I’m a guy who can do a high pitched voice that isn’t really convincing enough. Anyone got some good tips on what to do, or just practice? I practice everyday and it still sounds like a guy who isn’t really convincing enough. I don’t…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2020

Life is too short, and I want to do allot of things in the Cinematography Industry, I’m almost graduating and I like doing Digital Design but I also always though of acting I really like Movies and how they are made So I don’t know if I also Want to be a

I don’t think I’m good Enough, Im 17 which in my opinion allot of good actors start from a really much younger age, as well as feeling the pressure of graduating and what am I’m going to do with my life cause I don’t want to move out of my Island and go blindfolded onto USA. Anybody else feeling like this?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2020

Audio Fiction Network - A community for Writers, Actors and Producers

Hello fellow Producers, Actors and Writers! Audio Fiction Network is a creator driven discord community of audio drama actors, writers, and producers getting together to chill, share our love of the medium, and have a reliable place to share work and get feedback. We have creative server events for our members such as…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2020

I have been cast in a play and my character has a stutter. How do I do it convincingly?

I am looking for any and all tips on how to put on a convincing stutter that sounds natural and not insulting. Everything I can find online is about helping actors overcoming a stutter. At the moment I am staggering the words and when it finally comes out it's as if it's painful to say. What I'm doing doesn't feel like…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2020

Should you send casting agencies your personal projects?

Hi Actors, I recently created a short concept film based off a hit show. I'm torn because i want to share it with as many people as possible. However, I'm debating if i should send this short film to my casting agency as they can use it for my profile. Any thoughts are greatly appreciate

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2020

How to be involved in Children's Television/Youth Entertainment?

I always think about how much I would love being a host for a children's TV show (think Blues Clues) or doing the voices for other children's shows. I know some of these shows are done on a local level--think local PBS shows. Are these just regular actors? Are they folks who have a passion for doing work for children?…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2020

Go to NYU or Move to LA

I'm 22 years old and have reached final callbacks to go to NYU for graduate school. Obviously a great oppurtunity but incredibly expensive. If i want to be film actor is it worth it to go to NYU and train or should i just move to LA and try to start a career. Background: I have no reel, or any acting experience. I took…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2020

Looking for Vancouver Actors

Looking for an actor who can talk fast and and be energetic for an indie webseries. Role is for a friendly, customer-service oriented drug dealer. Can send script on request immediately. Also looking for chemistry read with actor we already have. While imagined a young white male for role, anyone of any ethnicity or ge…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2020

Is Hollywood possible?

My name is imraan, my dad is from india and my mom from guyana. I have an american accent (live in NYC) and medium brown skin. Would it be possible for me to become a big actor one day although Hollywood tends to lean to caucasians(i get it bc majority of america is caucasian. I also am thirteen.

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Feb 2020

Is it necessary to play Shakespeare, Racine, Corneille, etc ?

Sorry if I sound like an immature millenial but I loathe classical authors such as Shakespeare, and in every acting school they seem obsessed with them. So, is it like a mandatory step that every actor have to go through ?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Feb 2020

Seeking Representation - How to get referrals?

Hey friends! I'm an LA based actor. I had a recurring role on an Amazon tv show a few years ago (was in 9/10 episodes). While I've had a few managers and agents over the past couple of years, I wasn't going out on auditions and I am agent-less once more. It's been so challenging finding quality representation. I have s…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Feb 2020

Theatre Gig and Manager's Cut

My daughter is a young actor who has a manager. So far he has helped her get booked on a reenactment non-union cable episode, but not much else. On her own, my daughter auditioned and was cast in a sub 99 seat theatre production here in Los Angeles. My question: does she need to give her manager a cut of the theatre pr…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Feb 2020

Asking for advice on Voice Acting

\[The questions will be at the bottom of the post since the post might be quite long\] Hi! I am an aspiring voice actor who has currently nothing on his belt. No formal training, no experience, and certainly no money for a coach. Not to mention I currently only own a 10$ mic and also no experience in audio engineering.…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Feb 2020

I could be broke or I could be... well broke either way. (UK/US/AUS)

Hi hello - I’m just starting out on this journey. After almost a decade of wanting to do it and after feeling many shifts between want and then fear and deciding not to I’ve decided at 29 I’ll never be able to live with myself unless I try. So I’m going all in and needed some opinions. I currently live in Melbourne, ha…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Feb 2020

Anyone have experience working with Sentai or Funimation?

I'd like to pick your brain as to what was the path you took in order to work with them. I'm a Houston based Voice Actor, where Sentai is based, and Dallas isn't too far either. I'm trying to chart a career course for how to get there! Sentai joked on their website that the only way to do VO work for them is to know a…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Feb 2020

Pilot season

How is it going for everyone? I know things changed in the past years and now they make offers for name actors, but isn’t there still auditions for unknown actores? I want to audition but my manager is getting me zero auditions and gives me this excuse. I want to fire him! Whats the point of having a manager if he does…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Feb 2020

Sites like CCC

I'm a voice actress by hobby, and I love the community that CCC has. Are there any other sites that are similar to CCC in terms of number of people and possessing both casual and professional voice acting?