Acting forums, all in one place

19,658 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Casting Sites: Actors Access vs Backstage

Hello, I'm an LA based actor. I've been using Actros Access for about a year and a half. In general, I feel that is a bit clunky. I've recently added LA Casting to the sites that I'm on and find it to be much more straightforward in terms of alerts and adding/altering my content (headshots, reels, etc.) Anyway, to my p…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

How extroverted must you be to be able to act good?

Basically the title, and yes, I know it's really a stupid question. But always see some of the best actors able to talk and talk just for the sake of talking, and I've never been able to do that. Every time I audition or get up on stage I'm not so much scared that I'm gonna mess up, but becoming more aware that there m…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Order of Big Purchases for Next Career Moves

Greetings community! I have a question I want lots of input in. I went to a voiceover consultation appointment to precede me making a professional demo. While I was there, the engineer/voice actor and I talked about current industry, and he mentioned that he finds a lot of well paying and high quality on voices123 ($40…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Becoming an actor in UK

I always wanted to become an actor and I want to know if it would be possible to move to UK and go to drama school there. I’m from a small country and there’s very little to do in the indusrty because it’s very small. So, would it be possible for me to go to drama school in the UK (RADA for example, if I pass) and have…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Booked a short film but never been on set - help!

I booked a role on a short film and I have no idea what I’m doing. I’ve been taking acting classes for almost a year. I’ve been waiting to audition because there is still so much I don’t know about being on a film set- my plan was to do background work a couple of times to get a feeling. But I’ve yet to do that and fil…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

New voice actor looking for advice

So I'm keen to break into the industry. I've set up my own Fiverr page recently and had a few enquiries but nothing serious. Recently I had a guy get in touch asking for a reading of 59,000 words for an audio description. He's offering $350 for the project, but at Fiverr's rates that I've set up ($5 per 150 words) it'd…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Hiring actor for a joke (M over 30)

Hiring actor for a prank on friend. Located in Boston,MA. Around 5 pm on a weekday for 30 minutes, $30. Looking for male around middle aged to portray a priest. (priest robe will be provided)

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Do you need headshots for student films?

Newbie actor here. Been considering auditioning for a few NYU student films. Anyone have any experience with auditioning for student films? Is a picture with a basic iPhone/camera ok for now? I’ll for sure get professional headshots in the future, but don’t feel like it’s worth it to spend hundreds of dollars on headsh…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Am I On Track?

Hello! Post HS theatre *mostly* lead actor/ITS Officer, looking to completely throw my safe and predictable life out the window because I’ve been told me whole life to professionally pursue acting, and singing in particular... Queue my Grandmothers story, whom I’m named after, and was a Polish Jewish singer/performer i…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Acting opportunities in the Washington, DC area

Hi! I’d love some advice from any DC-area actors. I’m an actor based in NYC. I have no desire to leave but my boyfriend’s career will likely pull him towards DC eventually and so I’m trying to get a sense of the scene there. My general sense is that there’s some theater but very little TV and film, and that what is the…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Aspiring Voice actor help

Hey everyone, I hope all of you are having a great day! I just have one question what are some practice methods that you all use? I’m just starting off so I’m a little green

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

I live in Kuwait but am finding it hard to find ANY acting opportunity...PLS HELP

I am 15 and am an aspiring actor who has done school plays and parody commercials. I have done a lot of research and read monologues and am planning to move to LA or NY after finishing high school. But, as for now I really cannot find any projects that would help me gain experience. Anyone who lives in Kuwait who wants…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Feb 2020

Is a VO coach necessary for a trained stage/film actor?

I see a lot of people recommend getting a voice over coach for those starting a VO career, but what I'm not clear on is what exactly a VO coach does and if one is truly necessary if you've already had professional acting training, including vocal training for dialects, annunciation, projection, techniques, IPA, etc. I'…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2020

Why are most student films Union now?

I'm SAG-E and I submit to unpaid student films if I feel like the writing is good and I could use it for my reel. I've noticed in the last 6 months tho, that 90% of these student films are SAG. I stopped submitting to them, because I don't want to be forced to join the union for unpaid work. Why is this? Whats changed?…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2020

I totally read the scene wrong... I can't get over my mistake

I sent in a self tape a couple weeks ago and after reading the first scene, I honestly thought "okay this is an awkward scene, the girl is awkward with the boy, they might like each other but theres just a lot of miscommunication going around" but then after talking with other actors who also auditioned for this said t…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2020

Actor who joined drama club in hs to meet girls?

Wasn't there a famous actor who joined his theater class/drama club in hs just so he could meet girls, but ended up falling in love with acting instead? I'm trying to remember who that guy was, and Google isn't helping

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2020

Audio Competition for the Missouri Review

Hello, my name is Dylan Wilson and I'm an intern for the Missouri Review, a small publication in Columbia, Missouri. I'm looking for groups that would be interested in advertising our Miller Audio Competition, a competition in which people submit audio in the categories of poetry, comedy, and documentary. I'll put a li…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2020

Extra extra! Being a background actor.

Hey there!! I’m an actor that recently moved to the New York. I have a theatre background, and I have little experience in film. Is being an extra a good way to break into film and learn the ins and outs of being on set? Any tips on being an extra and expanding to speaking parts? Thanks!!

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2020

What is “bad acting” in your opinion and how do you avoid it?

For me, it’s anybody that feels too stiff and rigid. Like a robot that just says words with no emotion or physical movement behind it, you can tell they’re just reading off a script to get from scene to scene. I also think a lot of this is on the director, if there are too many cuts and closeups it feels like the actor…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2020

We've started a podcast called Role Call that focuses on legendary character actors and their true Hollywood stories, so far we have episodes with David Proval, Steven Ogg, Xander Berkeley, Barry Primus and others.

Hosted by director [Adam Cushman](https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1756579/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1) and actor [Raul S. Julia](https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1038376/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1), Role Call is [a podcast](https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/role-call/id1469666022) that seeks to bring key figures in film and TV into th…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2020

Worried about my progress so far.

Maybe I am just jumping the gun too fast, but I just need some advice. So after about half a year of acting training, I've began auditioning and self-submitting myself to projects (I'm using Backstage and Actors Access). It has been almost one month (started this February) and I've applied to about 8 roles so far (my l…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2020

I need help being a maid

I know this is place for people inspiring to be actor or actress, but I need help for a murder mystery game. I’m suppose to be a maid In the 1920’s America, who works three jobs and is secretly fed up having to work for a bunch of rich snobs all day. I’m not sure how to address people as. Whether it’s master, Miss, sir…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2020

Is my dream worth it??

So I’m (21F) a senior in university about to get my degree is history. However, my dream has been to become an actress ever since I was 13. But I never had the confidence to put myself out there and audition for anything in high school or college. Right now I still don’t really have the confidence to tell anyone about…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Feb 20

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2020

Let's talk Mental Health/Time Management/Self Care:

For many of us, this career can play a pretty significant role on our mental health. From constant rejection, to comparison, to thinking we're "not good" or "not going to make it", working survival jobs we don't care about, or working real jobs that don't allow us to audition--many of us struggle with mental health/tim…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2020

Advice for a (not so new) Actor returning to his first passion after over 30 years

Hello all, I returned to acting March 1 2019... I had studied Dramatic Arts and was a Star Improv League player back in the mid 80’s with a dream back then of becoming a full time actor, but another career presented itself and have had a successful career of over 30 years from which I am planning on retiring from in th…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2020

The Demo Reel Dilemma

I’ve been having one tough time writing the script for my demo reel. I know I don’t need to write a New York’s time bestseller or anything but it’s really bringing out why I never decided to become a writer. Do other actors hire people to write their demos? Or does everyone do it themselves, I feel like a lost cause in…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2020

Since everyone else is doing it... (Demo / Site)

I have been an actor for a while. I have been into recording engineering for a while. So I figured let's marry my love for both of those things. I am honestly just getting started. I get paid things here and there, but I'm not going to quit my day job or anything. Any and all feedback is appreciated. But be gentle. ;)…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

[Hiring] Create Digital Image for Video Game Voice Actor Website

Greetings. I am looking for a Digital Artist to create a custom image for a Video Game Voice Actors website. The image itself should have a 'Vibe' similar to these images: [Image 1](https://www.google.com/search?sa=G&hl=en_US&tbs=simg:CAQSoAIJEILHEhVbAzQalAILELCMpwgaYQpfCAMSJ_1MLhgRr7hfjFv8Muwz1C6Meoh7TKoU22CK0M9YqzSqP…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

Getting back into things after taking a break for college?

Hi guys. When I was in high school I started pursuing acting professionally. I lived near enough to NYC that I had a manager there and I booked a few small roles in TV shows and movies. Then I went to college in rural Ohio and my manager and I parted ways, and my acting career was put on pause for a few years. I booked…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

Marketing your skills?

Hi all, I'm an actor and recently have been thinking of ways I can monetize my skills. I was thinking offering private audition coaching and college prep. A bit about myself, I'm 23, have a degree in theater performance and am a working actor in the Washington DC area. What would you suggest is the best way to get my n…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

Am I on the right track?

I auditioned for Peter and The Starcatcher and after auditioning I was given two minor roles to play. However, my two characters combined barely leave me with any lines in comparison to many other people who are co-starring in the play with me, and most of them are just playing one role and yet they still have more lin…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

Tell me the vibe!

Hey acting community. My girlfriend recently accepted a grad program in Houston, Texas and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the acting scene is like in that area? I have an extensive background in theatre from contemporary to Shakespeare, from Arthur Miller to Tennessee. Working on stage and in production.…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

What do you guys normally do when your voice feels awful?

So, for the past two days, not only has the back of my throat felt like it was shredded, but I've had an unparalleled amount of phlegm in my throat. This has overall made it feel bad to speak and gives my voice a more growling quality. What do you as a voice actor usually do when you experience this?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

How much can I make monthly on ACX?

The ACX website says it takes an average of 6 hours to complete one finished hour. Is that pretty accurate in your experience? Also, how likely is it for a newbie to get consistent work? I figure if I can work 20 days a month, 6 hours a day, that'd be about $1,000 a month. Does my math add up? I'd be interested to hear…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

Is the iAudition app dead?

I'm writing a post for my blog on mobile apps for voice acting and I came across an app called "iAudition". The idea is that you hook up your USB mic and do your auditions wherever you are. It also allowed you to edit your recording. (Basic cutting I think.) Anyway, it seems to have disappeared. Did Voices.com gobble i…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

The myths

I don't think Marlon was a great 'actor.' He was just doing his own thing.

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2020

Best acting website subscription for beginners outside of major cities?

Title kinda explains it. I live in the metro detroit area and I'm essentially a complete beginner. I have taken some classes for an elective and my teacher suggested acting should be something I try to take further. I wanna get the most bang for my buck with a subscription. I always hear about Backstage and Actor's Acc…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2020

Getting an Agent

Do you guys have any advice on getting an agent? I submitted my demo reel, headshots, and resume to 4 agents in my area with only one response so far. It’s been a week. Acting is my passion and people tell me I’m truly gifted. It’s what a really want to do. Do you guys have any advice on getting jobs outside of an Agen…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2020

I can now put voice actor on my resume

I’m so excited that I finally got the courage to just record something but also to audition for parts and it felt awesome!! I’m on my way to becoming a professional voice actor

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2020

I am 6'8 (205 cm). Is there a space for me?

I'm a tall caucasian male and I speak english and mandarin. Ive been told that im too tall to be an actor. I imagine the height difference with other actors would make a weird aesthetic, and cinematographers would have problems that they dont usually need to deal with. Costume people would have a harder time acquiring…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2020

Do actors convey every aspect of their body language with conscious intent?

I often wonder if actors are deliberate about the minutiae of their body language or if they just imagine themselves to be the character and react without conscious deliberation. For example I was watching the movie Burning by Chang-dong Lee. In one scene the Steven Yeun character is caught yawning inappropriately in a…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2020

NYC Area - Actors needed.

I need actors [TFP] for my first music video. This is a time for print collab out of my own tight pocket, I will provide transportation and food. We will be shooting for maybe 2 days 3-7-20 (sat – sun) subject to change. I need some actors to collaborate for a dramatical dark, thriller type with little action music vid…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2020

What can I do for my acting career for $1k a month NYC

Hi there, I’m in the beginning of my acting journey. I’m trying to do as much as possible for my acting. This is what I did so far: -I take classes every month( classes are 1-3 times a week, depends on a studio) -I’ve scheduled a photo shoot with great headshot photographer. -I’m in a process of shooting scenes for my…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2020

Has anyone done VO without being a (ACTOR)

I see voice coaching recommended a lot but I also see there is so much scams out there, then I see streamers getting gigs or youtubers who have never done acting getting gaming parts, so I guess my question is if you want to do simple AUDIO books do you need voice acting or would just simply having a youtube channel an…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2020

How to get into voice acting

My friend is constantly doing the funniest voices, like seriously killer everyone loves it. He could totally be a voice actor but we have no clue how to get him into it. So Reddit,how does one voice act?

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2020

Should I become better looking before I try to get an agent

Hey all. I'm interested in becoming an actor but I don't look as good as I can. I'm kind of skinny. sitting at 20 percent body fat at the moment and I have a buzzcut. Would it be slightly easier If I first get a good body and better hairstyle? I'm about to turn 21 by the way. This might be a dumb question but I'm curio…