Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

Aspiring screenwriter here. Questions on character crafting.

So, I have lurked on the r/screenwriting subreddit and seem to get a lot of different advice on how I should be writing characters. I thought I might stop checking with the mechanics and check with the people that actually drive the damn car. If I were to write actor bait for you how would I best do that? Or, on the ot…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

Aspiring screenwriter here. Tell me how to write something that you want to act in.

Hey! I have lurked in r/screenwriting for a while and sought advice on how to write great characters. But, then I thought I should check with the people that carry out the dialogue on the page. Simply put, how do I write actor bait? And... what are some things that immediately make it harder for you to do your job?

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

THANK YOU!

​ https://preview.redd.it/gaj3fr707qj41.png?width=360&format=png&auto=webp&s=cbfdb11eb0329df943d00c194ef866fa63bb4104 Hi! A while ago, I posted about creating my podcast - Voice Actor Showcase - and inviting voice actors to come on the show to tell their stories. I've had the pleasure of working with those who r…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

Making a video reel

Hey guys, so I’ve always wanted to be an actress but always psyched myself out of going to auditions. I finally got over that fear and am ready to take my career more seriously, but every audition posting I see always ask for a video reel. Would it be a good idea if I just selfed taped? Or is that seen as unprofessiona…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

How much do looks matter in acting and tips for an aspiring actor?

I’m 18 (M) and a first year in college and I’ve been obsessed in the entertainment industry since I was a kid (I used to make movies and shows with my neighborhood friends in middle school), but I haven’t wanted to get into acting until recently. I don’t have much experience aside from stage managing a play and being o…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

What happens at a casting for a commercial?

I am almost exclusively a stage actor. I submitted my headshot for a commercial and have been notified that I've been selected to come to a "casting" for it. The email I got says I can come in any time during a specified time window next week. The commercial wont have any speaking. They want someone who can show excite…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2020

Roles question

What types of roles would you want to see certain actors play like for example the rock doing something serious or Tom Cruise playing a crazy villain thoughts

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2020

What’re your must haves to bring with for long shoots?

I’m a BG actress and have done a few shoots, but I have a 14+ hour night shoot in a few days and was wondering what some of your guys’ “must haves” to bring are? Apologies if this isn’t allowed here, checked the rules and didn’t see anything and couldn’t find anything in the search, but I’ll delete if it breaks any rul…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2020

Would someone be willing to do this?

I wrote a screenplay, this is a screenplay for my first feature film that I plan to be directing but this is not my first time directing a film period. Anyway, the screenplay is about strangers from different, racial clashing backgrounds being forced to work together to survive the horrific elements surrounding them. I…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2020

Is it a good/bad idea to travel to LA for Pilot Season?

Just graduated from school. I have a manager in NYC who I believe gets the LA breakdowns (have to double check) so I may be able to go out on some auditions. Also, want to test out the waters there before I decide whether or not to make a move out. What are some productive things that people traveling to LA for Pilot s…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Feb 27

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2020

Any Sydney Actors in need of side gig?

Hi! Anyone here from Sydney, Australia looking for a flexible side gig? I work as an English tutor for school kids, uni students and people wanting to get better at conversational English. They’re currently looking for more tutors and as the owner used to be an actor they’re currently advertising on the Starnow site, l…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2020

Too late to get into acting? 23 Years going to a University

This year I just wanted to break out of my shell and do more instead of being just a homebody. Currently attending a Uni as well finishing school and working full time. If it’s relevant my degree will be in creative writing, which i plan to apply to help my Music / Screenwriting. Another thing is I live in LA so it cou…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Feb 2020

Advice for beginner actors?

Hello! My name is Breana. I live in Los Angeles and I have taken 2 years of acting in high school. I love acting because I get to be a totally different person and be so confident doing it. My question is, • are there any agencies you'd recommend? • How did you start your acting career? • What are some things you wish…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2020

help me i am not an actor

hi, i don't want to make this too long because this is not a usual situation. i go to a magnet high school, and we do a black history month assembly with a show every year depicting different events in history. our school is very diverse, we have no majority, but we do have a majority sex. its about 7:3 females to male…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2020

Seeking actors and filmmakers for feedback and testing

Hello all, First off I'm not selling anything. I am seeking actors, filmmakers and other creatives to test a platform I've been working on, geared toward indie and student filmmakers. I've worked on small productions and find that it's very common for newcomers and more seasoned filmmakers to wear many hats (actor/writ…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2020

Most legit audition posting websites for NYC

Hello fellow actors, I was wondering what the best audition websites are for auditions based in NYC, mainly looking for tv, film and commercial auditions. I know of the big ones such as backstage and actors access, but which ones do you feel get you the most bang for your buck?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2020

BFA programs that allow you to audition and even take an loa if you book work?

I already act professionally out of NYC and would like to know about favorite bfa programs for somewhat working actors (I really only get a few jobs a year). Or, if not bfa programs, flexible college programs that will accommodate someone pursuing acting. Favorite BFA programs so far are CMU, USC, Julliard, and NYU but…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Feb 2020

Actors Access or Backstage?

I feel like the big majority here prefers AA, but I took a look at Backstage and honestly think it has more fitting casting calls for me at least (I’m 18F based in NYC). Which one do you prefer and why?

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Feb 2020

Australian Voice Actors Discord Server

Hello! Just a head's up to all my Aussie VO / VA brethren. We are calling all Australian Voiceoverists to come join our community discord server at [https://discord.gg/MbMD4A](https://discord.gg/MbMD4A) come join and get access to free casting calls / workshop schedules / local industry tips and tricks and community! L…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Feb 2020

Filming your own reel

Former “took a long break” actor. I no longer have any updated video (within the last 7 years) to create a reel, but most of the auditions I’ve seen I could possibly go for ask for a video reel. I can and will film my own scenes/monologues if necessary but is that suggested? What do you normally film if you’re creating…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Feb 2020

How can I make something of myself? (UK)

How can I make something of myself? (UK) Hello fellow creatives. I’m a London based actor currently training at drama school. I’m graduating from my course in the summer. I’m in my early twenties and I’ve had extensive training in dance, singing & movement in the past but my course is strictly acting. We just had the s…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Feb 2020

Aspiring Female Voice Actress Looking for Advice

I am woman in my 20's looking to get into voice acting without paying an agent. I live in a major city. Not exactly sure want effective routes to take first. I am open to any constructive criticism and helpful tips.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Feb 2020

My experience in Wendy Alane Wright's Hollywood Winner Circle (not great)

I signed up for Wendy Alane Wright's Hollywood Winner Circle course and regret it immediately. I wish I had checked Reddit before I basically got scammed. I am in her group TMFA and I see posts about it non stop so I decided to check it out because there were good testimonials. I am an actor but I do have credits under…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2020

Larry Moss - It's Not About You.

*"I get very emotional when I talk to actors because, I am you. I know your hearts. I don't know 'you', but I know your hearts. I know the desire. And I know the tragedy of laziness. The tragedy of entitlement. The tragedy of 'It's about me'. It's not about you, It's DEEPLY about you and it's not about you. Once you un…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2020

What if my headshots won’t be ready in time?

Newbie actor here. I’m interested in auditioning for a few student films, and will be getting headshots soon. Unfortunately, all of the listings end in the next few days, and my headshots will be ready about a week after that. What should I do? Should I even bother submitting after the deadline, or should I just forget…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2020

Larry Moss - It's Not About You.

*"I get very emotional when I talk to actors because, I am you. I know your hearts. I don't know 'you', but I know your hearts. I know the desire. And I know the tragedy of laziness. The tragedy of entitlement. The tragedy of 'It's about me'. It's not about you, It's DEEPLY about you and it's not about you. Once you un…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2020

Non-union slate shots?

I want to add a slate shot to my actors access account but I'm not sure what to put for my representation because I'm not apart of a union, any advice?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2020

Monday Voiceover Tip

When starting out, it's easy to get locked in on recording gear. Buying that shiny microphone is always going to sound more fun than buying coaching! Trust me when I say that it's imperative that you learn the skills of a professional voice actor before you make too big of an investment into recording gear. A $900 micr…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2020

Advice for an audition tomorrow

Hey guys, really need a little bit of help here. I have an actor muso audition tomorrow that I’m extremely excited for and want to do well. They’ve asked for one contemporary and one classical from the 16th, 17th, and 18th century. I have one Shakespeare, a Shaw and a contemporary but I’m having a lot of problems with…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2020

How do you guys audition and preform while holding a survival job?

I know many actors pick waitressing or something similar because it's flexible, but is it really THAT flexible? My goal is to get to 100 auditions before the end of the year, and then 150 be year. Can you seriously call up the restaurant or whatever you work at and say you're not coming because of an audition on a regu…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Feb 2020

William Alderson Studio - Los Angeles, CA

Hey All - I recently interviewed for a spot at William Alderson's studio in LA for their summer intensive. They teach Meisner technique there, and I am excited to expand this part of my actor's toolbox. ​ What I want to know is if anyone else has taken courses with Mr. Alderson? I read some Yelp reviews, but all…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2020

do you have to live in a big city to act?

i’m a young actor, but i live in Minnesota, far away from any major city’s. i want to act in Commercials for now. but since most agencies, auditions, ECT are in like New York or Los Angeles, i’m not able to go. can you still act in a small city/town for big jobs?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2020

Securing Gigs: Vocal Actor vs (film) Actor

Been doing a lot of reading trying to get a grasp of how securing gigs works with VO work, coming from an acting background there seems to be a stark contrast in methodology and no real consensus on what P2P site is best to use (if any). Although consensus is pretty much avoid Fiverr. I know a lot of actors will compla…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2020

In need of Voice Actors for YouTube series!

Please read about it or even audition here! Thanks! https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/members/KattoTheRatto/casting-call/Polychromatic-Purgatory/

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2020

RADA and/or LAMDA Shakespeare Summer Intensives?

I'm interested in doing the summer Shakespeare intensive at either RADA or LAMDA. The 8 week one seems very competitive, and I also see a 4 week one that doesn't require an audition? I'm just looking for insight from people who have studied at either. I'm concerned that the 4 week one will be too casual or something, o…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2020

Who played Ms. Brewster in 'Big Little Lies'?

As I was putting together a Tumblr post (which includes a screen to script exercise) for [Season 1 Episode 3](https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4959736/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast)....I noticed that there wasn't a credit (on IMDB or in the episode itself). I would be happy to put in a correction to IMDB...but have no ide…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Feb 2020

Is it worth taking theatre arts in college?

I’m currently a senior in high school that lives in LA, I know I want to be an actor but one thing I find myself questioning is it worth taking theatre arts in college. Any help is appreciated & thank you for taking the time to read this.