Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Mar 2020

Any advice for an actor moving to Chicago?

I'll be graduating with a BFA in performance and plan to move to Chicago to start looking for acting work. Besides saving money what other advice could someone give me, be it agencies, things to watch out for, ect.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Mar 2020

How to Take Your Performance to the Next Level

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1\_Fcaq280](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1_Fcaq280) A (brief) discussion of competence, skill learning, freezing up, and flow state. This video by music theory youtuber Sideways explores competence as it applies to the musical performance world, but it has a lot of practical appl…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Mar 2020

Can it be too early to seek a voice acting coach when wanting to become a voice actor?

Like many people, I would love to become a professional voice actor. Just as much and maybe more, I would love to do it as a hobby and entertain people. My actual experience though with things such as community theatre is limited due to things like the hours I work. It just can't work out for me sadly with the scheduli…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Mar 2020

Harrison Ford: Would love your ideas

A few words from my perspective: I have grown up with him. I was a teenager when the original Star Wars came out and have watched him go from cool to Superstar, Mr. Summer, and a good character actor. I always thought he was miscast as the tough, cop/private eye character (witness, Blade Runner), bu watching this retro…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Mar 2020

Any actors based in Ireland?

Any actors here that are in Ireland? I'm not in Dublin and dont have an agent yet. Finding it hard to get some work cos I'm an ethnic person. Most auditions call for white males here. Any Irish based actors here that might be willing to help?

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Mar 2020

Getting Called in a lot, but never getting called back.

Hi! I get called in by the same big LA casting director pretty frequently. Probably once every other month. In the last 12 months, I've auditioned around 6 times for him. I always feel like my auditions are really solid, but I never even get a callback. I've heard of CDs calling actors in frequently, because they do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Mar 2020

I’ve been dying to try acting

I’ve been invited to audition for the role of Jeff in “Kimberly Akimbo”. Thanks to the drama teacher at school. (He was asking around for male actors in HS and since I help as an SM he knows me well so I asked if I could take a look. If you are familiar to Kimberly Akimbo then you will know that there is a scene when t…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Mar 2020

Actors Access sucks dog dick

Ive recently gotten into acting and have been using backstage but was told to respond to an open call on AA by some listing. Went on there for 5 minutes and uploaded 2 photos and I thought I signed my life away or something. When I was using Ecocast® it said I would have to pay 3.50 to audition but then I pressed uploa…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Mar 2020

How To Get Into Character - GUIDE

First off, we have to dispel the illusion of character. When people say *“I’m trying to get into character”* usually it’s them trying to reach for some magical thing so far outside of themselves. As if somehow they are going to lose all consciousness and wake up with a brand new brain, body, and identity. As cool as th…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Mar 2020

Any short male actors here?

I am 5’6 and 28 years old. Anyone else in this range? How has thrust impacted your career? What kind of roles do you usually get called in for? What do you book?

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Mar 2020

Best Summer Intensives?

I'm new to r/acting so thanks in advance for answering my question. I'm looking for the best summer intensive programs for adult actors. I'm not too focused on cost at the moment but I really just want to learn what's out there. It can be in NY or LA. I just want to make sure it's a program that I can find a lot of val…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Mar 2020

Thoughts on the website, "Casting Networks"

I currently use Backstage and Actor's Access to apply for roles. However, I saw an article online saying that after Backstage, Casting Network is the second best site to be a part of. Am I missing out on a lot by not being on Casting Networks? Or do people who post on Casting Networks also post on Backstage and Actor's…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Mar 2020

Aspiring voice actor, need advice

Hey guys! I’ve been practicing a career in voice acting since I was younger, and I’ve been improving and improving as the years go on, but I really think I can stand to be better. For instance, some of my voices sound wayyy too much like myself/how I usually talk, rather something unique and something of brilliant voca…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Mar 2020

Aspiring screenwriter here! Thank you all so much for the input. Now, hear me out!

Hello to everyone that responded to my last post about crafting characters and writing actor bait. All of you were wonderfully honest and some of you were awesomely pedantic (I loved it. Really, don't change). So, r/screenwriting has this thing that we do. Every few days, a screenwriter will post something like this: "…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Mar 2020

Discord Severs?

Does anyone know of any discord servers for aspiring voice actors? Thanks if you do.

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Mar 2020

Opinions on actors who play much older characters?

A friend of mine has been having a rough week. (Week as in it's been 3 or 4 days, I know today is Monday.) Constant panic and anxiety and they FINALLY told me what was wrong. My friend is 20 and has basically been an adult since childhood. Had to grow up mostly alone, was mentally abused, was always treated like an adu…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Mar 2020

Is it worth it to sign up for Actors Access with no acting experience?

Hello! I live in New York City. I signed up for a Beginners Acting Class with the Barrow Group, which begins in April. I plan to get headshots taken soon. Aside from that, my interest in acting is brand new and I have no experience. I have seen many threads about the benefits of signing up for Actors Access. I was wond…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Mar 2020

Do you use any apps?

Do you use any apps that specifically help you as a voice actor? Maybe apps that help you practice? Or apps that help you audition? Or apps that help you warm up? (etc) Let me know what you use and how and I'll quote you in my next article

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Mar 2020

Some my voice acting buddies and I have been practicing our talents by making our own videos with some of the only tools we have at our disposal "Video Games." We've learned so much about what goes into the entire production, making us better Writers, Act

We are still amateurs and are always looking to hone our talent as voice actors. But by stepping out of our voice acting comfort zones and doing other jobs inside the entertainment industry like writing, filming, editing, and so on. We feel even more prepared when we do auditions or voice acting gigs for clients. Mostl…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Mar 2020

I dont get how to talk to people after a show

I suffer from social anxiety, but theatre is therapeutic for me as I feel like I know what to say and what is going to happen. After and before, I feel despondent. Im sure the casts im in hate me, or other avoid me which doesnt help getting cast again. So my question, what can I do bare minimum to be accepted by casts…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Mar 2020

I am not an actor, but I really am just curious

Is acting more of natural talent or practice? Of course I'm aware that nothing is absolutely black and white, but I've always been really fascinated by how actors/actresses can be so different, to the most minute detail according to their character in which they're playing. Is it possible for someone who's really horri…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Mar 2020

Bio help

Yay! I’m in a show for the first time since high school and I’m 38, but a young 38.

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Mar 2020

In 2020 - do social media follower numbers matter?

I have zero desire to start an Insta or Twitter. For that matter - I never post on Facebook anyways, and I’d like to deactivate it so I only use it for Messenger. The only reason I don’t is because I find local auditions in FB groups. I keep seeing conflicting info on the importance of social media as an actor. What ar…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Mar 2020

Company wants their employer/identity hidden from me under NDA

I have been involved with a company and their work. They want me to pretend I am being prank called for a pre-recorded session that will be aired live with the idea being presenting it as authentic and real-time and the parent company wants to make sure actors can't list themselves as actors linked to their stuff to ma…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Mar 2020

Acting with vitiligo

I am starting acting classes in a couple weeks but I have vitiligo around my eyes that's pretty noticeable and hard to miss when you look at my face. Any advice in what to do? Do I leave it or try to cover it up with makeup? (something I've never done before). My goal is to become an actor but this always lays heavily…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Mar 2020

Acting isn't going to happen in a serious way for me any time soon, but it will be something I work on over time. For now I'm focusing on becoming a better filmmaker. I'm looking for some advice on finding actors to work with on a short film I'm writing.

I live in Colorado Springs for the time being and I'm working on writing my own screenplay for a short film. I'm in talks about moving to L.A. to work on a Hollywood movie along side the directors but nothing is set in stone right now. I want to make my own film for the time being, and I'm not sure how to approach gett…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Mar 2020

What makes you love acting?

Hello. So, this could be a question for art in general, but I believe actors would give more depth to their answer. What fulfills you in acting? What are your goals on it? What makes you like acting and why is this important to you? Thanks in advance!

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

Chances of being an actor in LA as a Malaysian/Asian

First time post here. Just a little background about me. I'm currently 27 years old, from Malaysia, been in long-term unemployment and depression now, and I feel like my calling is to be actor, and I want to be one, but I don't know how. Although I had no proper acting experience before, I did helped out in some of my…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

What actors/actresses have the most range?

Who are the actors/actresses that have the most range? I was just wondering about this from seeing another question before (and from seeing that ashley tisdale tumbler post lmao)

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

Why isn’t the theatre world as vain as the film world?

Perhaps this is an ambiguous statement but having friends in both areas, I notice that in the theatre world, people are much closer to each other than in the film world, there is also less of a hierarchical nature and less pretension. At least, when I compare New York/London to Los Angeles. In the former cities, people…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

Question.

When directing a show, how much do you think it takes away having one actor play two characters onstage. (This show is a comedy written by my 11 year old sister). Anyways, I’d just like to know everyone’s thoughts on this concept.

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

How to connect with like-minded artists?

Hi all, I'm an actor from Turkey and I have a sense of "modernist" art. In order to be able to become an artist "literally", I strive for having theoretical background as well as for acting practises... but I am not really sure how to connect with like-minded European or American artists and where to find the latest ar…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

[stupid question] on a scale from 1-10, how vital are headshots.

I was researching the other day on things that you had to do in order to become a professional screen actor. they all said the same things, have a resume, get an agent, join sag, etc. but one thing that stuck out to me is that a lot of articles varied on the subject of headshots. I later looked up pricing for headshots…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

Personal Training/ Fitness Instructor as a side job

I was wondering if any working actors can share their experiences working as a personal trainers/fitness instructors. I have been really enjoying classes from studios like Barrys and the Fhitting Room and was wondering if any actors teach at those (I am in NYC)? Do people here think its a better fit than the bartending…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

How long does it take for student film directors to contact you if you booked it?

Obviously this is subjective, but a casting call I applied to ended this morning and rehearsals begin next weekend. There is another unrelated activity I am considering attending on the weekends, but won't be able to know if i have the time until I know if I was casted or not. Any actors/student film directors with any…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

I really need some advice.

Hello and thanks for reading in advance. I always wanted to be an actor. As a child, while my parents would fight, I always pretended to be someone else, I would stand in front of a mirror and act for hours. I always knew that this is my destiny, nothing interests me but acting. But I live in Germany and acting isn't t…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Feb 2020

Professional title confusion

I’m trying to make a profile on Backstage and I’m confused about what to put in the professional title box? I don’t sing or dance very well and that’s not needed for what I’ll be applying for anyway. Should I just put Actress?

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

Commercial Auditions in New York

Using Actors Access, Playbill and Backstage, I see a very small number of commercial auditions and a lot of them are asking for super specific people (twins, actual doctors, people who just bought a new car). I’ve also never been asked to audition for one even with a reel, headshot and legit training. Are actors with c…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

Philadelphia Actor/ Actress needed for horror film 20s-30s

Hey everyone I hope this isn’t breaking any of the rules here but I’m looking for an actor or actress in their 20s-30s for a leading role in my senior thesis short film. The actor in the role had to be recast at the last second. We are filming in the philadelphia area this weekend and a weekend in March. Please message…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

First anime voice actor!

Hi im looking for some Anime! And animation hiring jobs! Rn im really really low price! I will do it for 3 dollars or for free if ya convince me!

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

How do I find the right voice for my character?

Hello! Newbie here. I'm not a voice actor, but I figured that this sub might have good advice for my particular issue. I'm currently creating a character for a tabletop roleplaying game, and I'm struggling to find a voice/accent/mannerism that fits them. The character in question is a pixie sorcerer who came to her pow…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Feb 2020

Looking For an Actor in Orange County, CA

Hello, I am looking for an actor to star in a silent short. I am a film student looking to build my reel so there will be no pay. The shooting locations are both in south Orange County. PM me if you are interested and I will share more details! I look forward to hearing from you.