Reddit · 27 Jan 2018
Do they let actors read the script?
Do they let you read the script before audition? Addition: Thanks for the comments
19,644 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.
Reddit · 27 Jan 2018
Do they let you read the script before audition? Addition: Thanks for the comments
Reddit · 27 Jan 2018
All my head shots look terrible, I realize I need to start wearing make up because I am not young anymore, I'm older so I look unattractive now so I might look pretty with make up. I may not have needed it before but I am not 24 anymore or 17. After doing research for names of products women use, I have: Hairspray obvi…
Reddit · 27 Jan 2018
I watched one of Wendy's Alane Wright's videos and she said how back in the days anyone could just become an actor. All you had to do was go to a talent agency and you would sign a contract and they out you to business and train you, now they don't do that anymore. That probably explains why she still gets people dropp…
Delphi · 27 Jan 2018
I know that awards shouldn't be listed on a resume, but can winning an award at a film festival be leveraged in any other way? Thanks in advance.
Delphi · 27 Jan 2018
I recently read that Craigslist is a good source of finding background work in NYC. However, I also heard that it holds a lot of scams. What is a safe way to find such opportunities without taking such risks?
Stage 32 · 26 Jan 2018
Hello Everyone. Im new here but i am looking for interviews from actors for my research project. Acting experience in action movies or tv would be best but i am open to any actors. I am happy to do an interview via email, skype or if you're in England than could do a face to face interview. Thank you.
Reddit · 26 Jan 2018
Sure there are certain types better suited to people who look a certain way, but your type is dependent on how you act and who you are as a person. Somebody might look like a leading man, but be a total zany character actor. Ask the people who KNOW YOU about their opinions on your type. A phrase commonly used is "who's…
Reddit · 26 Jan 2018
Hey, I'm a actor in LA , I moved here in September and have had a hard time networking with other people in the business, I would love to, I a bit of introvert. Any advise ? and anyone who also wants to network?
Reddit · 26 Jan 2018
I am an aspiring actor. I know, I cringed a bit writing it, but I didn't know how to start this off. I finally drove cross country about a year ago to set up shop in CA. I'm fortunate to have a roof over my head and a job right now. The only thing is that I'm about 5 hours north of LA, and my job has nothing to do with…
Reddit · 26 Jan 2018
Hiya actors! Long time lurker and grateful for it. The info here has helped me more than I can say. I'm finally posting because recently I’ve been thinking of developing a new online course for actors that teaches some web and website basics and I’m wondering if you think it's a worthwhile idea. I've made a 5 question…
Reddit · 26 Jan 2018
A little bit of backstory, I'm a working actor ( haven't been working a lot lately but still) I've been acting since I was 12 years old, currently 31, and I'm looking to go to theatre school to get better. I love acting, I've studied all kinds of techniques, meisner, Strasberg, with a plethora of different teachers. I…
Backstage · 25 Jan 2018
Hi there! I'm taking advantage of the online learning platform and have signed up for various classes offered through masterclass.com. So far, I'm in the middle of the masterclass offered by both Samuel L. Jackson and Helen Mirren. My question is: Is there any reason why these classes can't or...
Backstage · 25 Jan 2018
Hi, I've never acted before in my life and will be acting in a movie 6 months from now. I would love any tips or any recommendations for get books to read. Thanks.
Reddit · 25 Jan 2018
Hello, I am an ATL-based actor and I signed with my first agency (not one of the top 4 here, but solid, SAG-franchised, and with a good reputation) a couple weeks before the holiday season. I am a bit more anxious than the average person I admit, but I'm a wee bit worried that I haven't gotten a single self tape auditi…
Reddit · 25 Jan 2018
She says lot of things and my acting teacher who is also an actor says the opposite of what she says. My teacher acts like you come to his class and you can go get head shots if you want, go out and do auditions, go to Cast Iron Studios when they do open auditions and every November they go open calls for monologues an…
Reddit · 25 Jan 2018
There’s been an uptick here in posts talking about “unknown” actors getting their “big break” in something that turns into a phenomenon. I’m looking at you, Stranger Things. This is almost always a myth, created either by PR machines or by lazy people who have a passing interest in becoming actors. It really only takes…
Reddit · 24 Jan 2018
Hello, my name is Taylor Rhoades and I, like many people, want to pursue acting. I always wanted to be involved in film for my whole life. I began writing and led to wanting to direct but a year ago I realized I love acting. I have acted in seven different short films and I grow each and every time, getting better and…
Reddit · 24 Jan 2018
Hello! as a complete beginner in this world I would like to gain some insight. My question is deliberately very diversified. The answers to my question could be how to handle and invest a very big sum of money, some real-life tips ( don't you ever, ever start an affair with an actress, only because she must be at the s…
Reddit · 24 Jan 2018
Would it be a terrible thing to shoot some two person scenes from old tv shows for a beginning reel that can be edited to feature each actor? I have access to people and equipment from my filmmaking class to make one. I just don't have any great script ideas and the student films I have done have mostly been voiced ove…
Reddit · 23 Jan 2018
I'm a actor/motion capture performer with a few small credits. I'm interested in moving to a larger market, but I'm not ready for LA. Does anyone know anything about motion capture opportunities in Austin/Dallas? I know there are a lot of game studios, but are there many auditions? Is there an agency that works more wi…
Reddit · 23 Jan 2018
Hey fellow actors! I am in the tedious process of trying to hone in on my brand, or how I'll sell myself to the industry. I've made a list of adjectives in a google document and I'm hoping you all can help me out by scrolling through a selecting 5-15 (or more!) words that you think represent me based on my headshots! I…
Reddit · 23 Jan 2018
I'm currently taking an auditioning class and we had a NY casting director come in as a guest. She'd stated that due to my intense eyes, I looked like a period actress; and that I would suit roles like a maid, 1950's french woman, or mayor's wife type character. I live in the Kansas City area and know that there aren't…
Delphi · 23 Jan 2018
Hi there, DD booked a show (YAY!!) and now must join SAG. The fee is so high!! She's 18 and still in HS. We plan to "help" her pay (meaning we will be paying) but I was wondering if anyone negotiated a payment plan with SAG. They offered one but the terms were still a bit much for my very shallow pocket. Feel fre…
Delphi · 21 Jan 2018
Anyone find NowCasting or Mandy.com worthwhile?
Delphi · 20 Jan 2018
I was asked this by a member. Rather than answer privately, I am opening this to everyone to get your inputs.
Delphi · 19 Jan 2018
I know this has been discussed and we aren't supposed to talk politics here however, is there any news on the current tax bill regarding actors and unreimbursed business expenses? Everything I've read is from late December with no recent updates.
Backstage · 18 Jan 2018
I just got hit hard with the flu. Fortunately, I didn't have any gig this week, but wondering if anyone out there has had experience with having to do a role while ill. And how did it go. I think the best solution is to not do it, stay home...
Delphi · 17 Jan 2018
I have been looking high and low for the current rate sheet. I can not find it anywhere. This is all I can find... https://www.sagaftra.org/files/rate_sheet_television_sag_aftra_8_16.pdf Does anyone know where I can find a current one? It would be handy.
Delphi · 16 Jan 2018
Hi, Does anyone know a good site to post for rentals during pilot season?
Reddit · 16 Jan 2018
Hello, My name is Dean and I am looking to maybe get into the voice acting world. I've done some voice over work for tutorial videos for my place of work, to which many people have suggested that it should "be a thing" I have a love for video games and several amazing actors such as Liam O Brien and Matthew Mercer etc…
Backstage · 13 Jan 2018
Heads up, comics! If you’re an up-and-coming comedian, comedienne, or comedic writer, you know how tough it can be to develop your craft and find your way on the comedy circuit. Luckily, a renowned comedy expert will be dropping knowledge on the Backstage Community forums today that is sure to...
Delphi · 13 Jan 2018
Hello Does anyone know of a dialect coach for Eastern European accents that would be available immediately? We are in LA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you as always for your advice and support
Delphi · 13 Jan 2018
Before we ask our new (first) agent, we would like your opinion on whether we should submit to AA or LACasting or inform agent to submit? Our agent is on the PARF list, so I would assume agent might have more clout with CD's than a blind submission from hundreds of others. Agent has gotten several auditions that we n…
Stage 32 · 11 Jan 2018
Hi everyone! Quick question, when emailing a headshot and resume, is it best in pdf or Microsoft word, or does it not matter? Thanks :)
Backstage · 10 Jan 2018
I'm in Manhattan, and I'm looking for a good cheap place to get together and chat with fellow actors. Ideally I want somewhere that has lots of seats, and we can get a group together. Something not too crowded. Any ideas? Most coffee shops are overrun with people, or only...
Delphi · 10 Jan 2018
My DD is friends on social media with a female writer and was sent a message from this writer asking if she had auditioned for a certain film role the writer created & thought she would be perfect for. My DD did audition for it in person at a big casting office. She wrote back & told her she did audition. But the wri…
Backstage · 9 Jan 2018
Hi everyone! This past year I booked a recurring role on a television show. When is it appropriate for me to announce this on Facebook and social media? I want people to know about it before it airs but I often don't see other friends post about their roles until...
Backstage · 9 Jan 2018
Wow, this message board has changed. I guess all the old posts are gone, as was my old account. I used to be "BrentontheMove." It's been awhile since I was here last. I thought I'd come back and impart any knowledge I can as I get some good advice when...
Stage 32 · 8 Jan 2018
Hello everyone :) I am trying to put together my acting resume as I have an audition with a small local company at the end of this month. I am having quite a bit of trouble with formatting and terminology! Could anyone please give me a hand? Any help is much appreciated xx Thank you!!!
Delphi · 7 Jan 2018
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/deductions-actors.html This says that the new tax law did not repeal the Qualified Performing Artist Deduction, so low-earning actors can still deduct expenses against employment income -- just not kids earning over $16K.
Reddit · 7 Jan 2018
Hey everyone! I’m putting together a video on the DC Comics ‘Vengeance of Bane’ storyline which will be posted on Youtube, but I need help. **These will be paid positions in Australian Dollars (AUD) through Paypal, please check Paypal’s currency exchange to avoid confusion).** The characters are listed below with sampl…
Delphi · 6 Jan 2018
DD has one commercial and it paid $200 for limited distribution. What would be some rates we should shoot for? One non-union is $750/12 session (for print and video), $1500 video buyout if in final edit, $1000 print buyout if used in final edit, 10% agent's fee. Is that about top of the line or average? Others I se…
Stage 32 · 5 Jan 2018
Hope this helps someone. https://actingplan.com/best-places-to-live-for-an-actor-in-la/
Delphi · 5 Jan 2018
Just a heads up for everyone to check their CC bill for charges from LA Casting. My son's account was credited in Dec. 2017 (after I emailed them and asked) and was told he had a free account AND free media hosting through May 2018. With zero warning, I received a receipt from them today for January charges!
Stage 32 · 4 Jan 2018
Hello! My name is Samantha, I am 16 years old. I'm new in the industry, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on getting signed to a good agency and/or where to look for them. Thanks! :)
Delphi · 4 Jan 2018
I wanted to update my child's reel for pilot season but all of her new stuff is streaming. DVD purchase is not an option. I have Movavi- which has worked in the past but it no longer works for Hulu, Amazon or Netflix. Is there a service that can collect this footage for us?
Delphi · 4 Jan 2018
Hi. My son has two agents. Big bicoastal. And small local. They don't get along. It's a pain sometimes. But anyway. The question and disagreement of the day is: resume so, do you guys include roles that your DC has booked and filmed, on your resume, even if after it comes out, the scene (s) were cut and they are no…
Delphi · 4 Jan 2018
In another post, several people heaped praise on USC as a top school for student films. Are there others in the LA area, like USC. I'm curious about Loyola Marymount, and there is also a high school in LA that has had breakdowns on AA. And if anyone in other markets like NY, Atlanta, or Chicago wants to chime in abo…
Stage 32 · 3 Jan 2018
I'm an actor who's got a nice collection of footage together for a reel. My problem is I'm on a contract on a cruise ship and for the gig I've lost close to 50lbs. Don't get my wrong I'm healthier, looking better and more confident but my look no longer matched ALL of previous footage. My goal was to start marketing…