Acting forums, all in one place

19,644 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2018

My issue with people posting headshots

We've been getting a decent amount of headshots lately with people asking "what's my type?". I gave a sarcastic (snotty, in his words) response to one individual but thought I'd create a post explaining why. First, if you don't know your "type", then for the love of god, don't waste money on headshots! A decent headsho…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2018

"New to Acting" Site + Script to Screen feature

Hey everyone. I posted here a couple weeks ago regarding an article I did on Casting/Talent Agents that answered your questions right from reddit. Since then, we've posted quite a few articles on acting, and I thought you might like our newest one called [Script to Screen: Lady Bird by Greta Gerwig](https://slade.sunda…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2018

Female voice needed for a short horror animation video!

Hello! I am working on a project for university, and it requires a female voice actor (north american accent) It is a short animated video, in a narrative/poetry style. Let me know if you're willing to be a part of it. I will fully credit you:)!

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2018

Ryerson Vs York for theatre.

I'm hoping that I get accepted to Ryerson's theatre program after my audition today, wondering if the subreddit has some opinions on which might be the better option for an actor looking to pursue theatre and performance as a job. York or Ryerson. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2018

How to I find stage acting jobs in the greater Atlanta area?

I am a semi-professional actor. I'm not union or anything, but I really feel like I have a calling for theatre. I won multiple dramatic acting awards while in high school and I've been in over 10 community productions. But I cannot even find auditions. I live near Atlanta and I cannot seem to get any leads. The only we…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2018

More classes? Or is it best to learn by doing playable

I've been taking an acting class for about a year now and it's about over. I'm wondering if I should find another program or just start auditioning and getting out there. I just don't know how to start. I'm in Chicago. Is there a website for plays to audition for in my area? Is this a bad idea? What would make me a bet…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 16 Feb 2018

Film

I'm an actress that's looking for work for film projects. I'm currently looking to create my acting reel!

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2018

New Actor Youtube Channel is live

So here is the link to the YouTube channel I created for new actors and actresses https://youtu.be/rztxFZEY4l8 You may sub, like, dislike, comment to your hearts content. If at least one person can gain something from this channel then I’d consider it a success. Let me know what kind of videos you want me to make and I…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2018

Remember: if you plateau in your career, it's not always the end.

People plateau for various reasons. It could be technique, career choices, personality, it can even be just not your luck. Just remember: as an actor, there is a growing trend of other actors who want to make this freelance of an industry an ideal 9 to 5, and as an actor trying to make ends meat, it's simply not pushin…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2018

Starting a Youtube channel on Acting

Hey guys and girls I am creating a channel based on what it’s like to be an actor. Like someone who’s not famous and just how are lives are. I’ll try to do some tips and tricks and talk about different experiences I’ve had. First video will be up tomorrow. Let me know what you think (This is my throwaway account becaus…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2018

Playing a (girly) woman, as a man.

At first let me say, I don't *really* know anything about acting. I play in a theatre group but it's not like I really intently studied the art. I never posted here so I hope I don't break any taboos or offend anyone. I'd say I'm a pretty decent actor in comparison to non-trained or very experienced people. I get into…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2018

What do you think of famous actors who haven't gotten training?

I'm new to acting and constantly trying to balance my knowledge of techniques with just being natural/genuine. It's not easy as we all obvi know, but it's crazy that some actors either need lots of technique or are "naturals" (with experience, albeit). What do you make of actors such as Jennifer Lawrence, Jim Carrey, B…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2018

Fight scene

My son (15) has his first paying job. Yay! He's going to have to shove a younger kid among other things. Because of the market we're in, I'm guessing the other kid has the same or less experience than my son. How physical do actors actually get in fight scenes? I realize they don't really punch or kick each other but s…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2018

Majoring in something other than acting but pursuing an acting career

I’m interested in more than one facet of the film industry, and could myself directing down the line. However I wouldn’t forgive myself if I didn’t pursue an acting career at some point in my life, and in my early 20s seems to be the best point to do so because I have nothing to lose. However I also am transferring to…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2018

How essential has a social media presence become?

I'd love anyone's opinions on this one. Do you guys think that a social media presence is essential for an actor these days? I understand the benefits but wonder if it's not possible to make a go of it without it. I'm instinctively against the idea of social media (for myself - just my personality) but if things are st…

Backstage

Backstage · 14 Feb 2018

Who has the legal authority to enter a film into a film festival?

In August 2017, I participated in the 48 Hour Film Project ("48HFP") in Chicago, IL. There were 6 people on my team, and these 6 people were as follows: the director/team leader (the person who paid the registration fee) the director of photography ("DP") two people who wrote the script...

Delphi

Delphi · 14 Feb 2018

Working Actors and Models: TV Wrap Parties

Hello. How does one dress for wrap parties? Should we bring gifts for cast & crew? What are they like?  Admin, please bump any past posts about wrap parties :) TIA

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2018

A YouTube Acting Tutorial: Here.

I see a lot of people asking in this sub for some youtube acting lessons. My friend and former coach, Braden Lynch, has uploaded a series of acting lessons on youtube here: [https://youtu.be/kaTErogMGIw](https://youtu.be/kaTErogMGIw) [He runs a studio in LA](https://www.bradenlynchstudio.com/). He coached a number of y…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2018

Pro Actors Lab Toronto notes

Hey guys, so I'm out of the country for a while longer and won't be able to attend any of David Rotenberg's class at the Pro Actors Lab in Toronto Canada. I was hoping if anyone had any notes on his method to post them or send them via PM? I have the PDF of all the stipulated techniques that are included in his method…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2018

Aging myself down?

Hi all! I'm a new actress at 28, but I've been told I look 21, and in some instances I can actually play a teen. I've actually gotten auditions for loads of teen roles lately and I'm afraid the age question will come up. Do you think I should lie about my age and just say I'm 24 or something? I also look a bit young fo…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2018

I’m assistant stage managing a play for the first ever. More details.

I’m currently a college student and was hired on as an assistant stage manager for a comedic play at my community college. This is my first time experiencing being an assistant to a stage manager. So, tonight we had a rehearsal, and I was giving lines whenever the actors needed them; however, one actor immediately took…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2018

A Practical Handbook and Objectives

I recently got my hands on A Practical Handbook for the Actor by *a pretty long list of authors*, and I absolutely love the way it handles objectives. It divides creating an objective into 3 steps: what the character is literally doing, what the character is essentially doing, and an "as if" (it's as if my x was...). T…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 13 Feb 2018

Types of Sitcom Casts

With pilot season now underway an actor friend was asking about reading for comedies so I pointed him at this video, which is part of my free Sitcom Basics course. Hope others find it useful.-Steve

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2018

Difficult Directors

I'm currently in a show where the Director is hell bent on getting the lines 100% perfect. No joke. He would stop actors in rehearsal if we add something or jump ahead. He would then tell us to worry about the emotion and connections second. He is crazy about it. Obviously, it's important to get your lines down, it's g…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2018

The Acting Edit

Hi! Hope all is great with all you fellow thespians! I’m not sure if this is allowed, and so am completely expecting it to be deleted if it’s not, absolutely no hard feelings. I’ve dreamed for years about creating a YouTube channel and last year decided to do so, by going at it with my passion: Acting. And so, [The Act…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2018

My problem/difficulty with acting as a couple in Student/Amateur films

I've acted in 2 student films as a couple, and somehow the vibe between my onscreen girlfriend/wife just isn't there. You see how real couples interact? And you compare it to on-screen couples in student films. There's always an awkward vibe due to 1) actor/actress not being committed enough. (I had an actress that sai…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2018

The power of eyebrows and how to not overdo it.

I have noticed that when I watch myself act I move my eyebrows a lot. I know that the eyebrow is a good tool for expressing emotion but I have this feeling like I am overdoing it. A lot of times when I am watching actors on TV and in movies I notice that they don't move their eyebrows during some dialogue in which when…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Feb 2018

seriously. how do actors with criminal convictions get work?

hi guys, i was reading about o-visas and such, and how having criminal convictions would not allow you to work overseas. how do celebs get past this? also is it dependent on the crime? Mark Wahlberg plead guilty for assaulting a vietnamese man. Will Smith and his crimes. and the list goes on.

Backstage

Backstage · 10 Feb 2018

Greetings from one of the 'Experts'!

I just wanted to say, "Hi". I'm a working professional actor having worked in several North American cities on dozens of TV shows and feature films. I am also a backstage expert and am here to help everyone reach their acting goals as soon as possible. Hit me up if...

Backstage

Backstage · 10 Feb 2018

Acting Corps - Groupon

Ok, so I made the leap and just signed up. I was on the fence just because it's a commitment, but there is deal on Groupon and anyone looking to try them should totally check it out while it's discounted. 500 bucks for 20 classes. 25 bucks a class. Please...

Delphi

Delphi · 10 Feb 2018

Welcome New Members & Admin: IMDb Help Please!

Please help!  Our twins each have an IMDB account- one under my email and one under my husband's work email.  They were both opened through IMDB.  We have an Amazon account opened under an old email that is separate.  Our one son under my husband's email has expired and it needs to be renewed, but it will not let me si…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Feb 2018

Looking for career advice

Hello all. I’m 33 male and live in San Diego. I’m a US Naval Officer stationed here and life is generally very comfortable. I’ve been blessed for sure to have first world problems and have a stable financial situation. My “problem” is that I’ve always had an itch for the cinema but always been too scared to take action…

Backstage

Backstage · 9 Feb 2018

Agent Acting Class Showcase

Newish actor here looking to get an agent. I know all about the scams that are workshops and I don't want to do that. What I am looking for is acting programs that have a showcase built into their program, like at the end. I know some college programs have...

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Feb 2018

Getting into character, or over doing it?

Watching the documentary on Netflix called Jim and Andy where Jim Carey is speaking about his role on the film man on the moon where he portrayed Andy Kaufman. Jim is insulting people and acting like a completely strange person (much like Kaufman). Now, I think he did a great job in the film but what do you, as an acto…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Feb 2018

New to NYC, A Couple Of Questions

Hi guys, just moved to NYC from Alabama, and I just have a couple questions. First, the most common. Representation, I am seeking representation, and since I am non union how hard is it? My plan was to come up here and do workshops as well as classes as much as possible. Hopefully do well, and rub enough elbows I could…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 7 Feb 2018

Extras

What would you suggest be my first plan of action to get myself acting here locally as an extra, to begin with, whether it's for free or not.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Feb 2018

Acting in vancouver?

Hi guys, I'm an actor currently living in Dublin and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the vancouver acting scene? I feel like I need to make a change. Only problems may be the visas. Would appreciate any feedback or experience relating to the area

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Feb 2018

Trades for theater/ film production?

Hello all, I’m currently a working actor and I realize that the job that I work at currently may not be good for my health forever, even if it does run congruent for my auditioning and day to day expenses. I’ve been thinking as a contingency to learn a trade that can land me a job on either a stage or film set, where I…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Feb 2018

NYC Workshops

I'm heading to New York over March break and want ideas of how to get the most fulfilling experience possible - workshops, shows, performances, and all around grow as an actor while I'm there, any and all suggestions welcome!

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Feb 2018

Keeping your survival job while you have long shooting schedules

Hi all, So I'm a new actress who (gratefully) has gotten a sudden influx of auditions. One in particular would require me to be out of state for 3 weeks if I get it (and I want to). I'm non-union, and I'm looking for a flexible part-time job. However...I don't know how I'm gonna deal with this sort of thing in the futu…

Delphi

Delphi · 6 Feb 2018

Resources/Coaches, Headshots+: Good books on acting/show biz/bios?

Does anyone have any good recommendations on books about show biz. Not necessarily "how to make it" as those books can become outdated so quickly. And many are just money grabbers imo. Maybe some good show biz biographies with some kernels of wisdom? I know that Michael J. Fox's book has been praised. What else? I stil…