Acting forums, all in one place

19,653 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jun 2019

Casting directors - is NPE really a thing?

Not sure if this is an urban legend but I was told casting has the code of NPE - basically if an actress comes in, kicks ass, does an excellent job with the material, the interpretation of the material, and then you still can't cast her. and you wind up casting the 'talking model' - does this break your heart? ​…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Jun 2019

Paying to have demo reel produced? Has anyone done this?

I'm in need of some advice. I've been having trouble getting auditions as many require a demo reel to even submit or to get noticed. I haven't done any projects which I would use to help pull a reel together. I need something that atleast shows how I am on camera and my acting range for auditions, casting directors, ag…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jun 2019

Question about U.K. agents..

If i have 13-14 theater (lead) credits, have a perfect British (central London) and American accent, have graduated from an acting high school (somewhere in Europe), starred in 2 movies as a lead and have some other skills (have done gymnastics and kickboxing for a long time + have gone through professional gun trainin…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Jun 2019

Stealth Books/Resources for Actor

There is an actors cannon that most of us know but I wondered if anyone had any favorite overlooked, under the radar or stealth resources they love. My top would be[The Emotional Thesaurus ](https://writershelpingwriters.net/the-emotion-thesaurus-a-writers-guide-to-character-expression/) which is a writer’s tool that b…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jun 2019

Need advice on next steps - London and acting in general

Hi everyone, I'll keep my background short and sweet: 24F, spent 2 fairly successful years in the corporate world, now after a series of events I realized that the only thing I ever want to do is acting. I don't even care about financial stability, or 'making it', whatever - acting is the one thing that got me out of m…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Jun 2019

Name Changing In The Industry

I wanna be an actress and as I’m Asian my full name is hard to read. So I was thinking of just using my nickname “Sofia” without my last name “Pham” so instead of “Sofia Pham” I just go by the name “Sofia”. I was told no one does that as actors but as singers you can. For example “Zendaya” she’s an actress but she also…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jun 2019

How to become a successful working screen actor in the UK? [serious]

I have an agent, and I have graduated from university and drama school. I am 21 and I'm worried I will never make it; my agent is lovely, but not very big, and I didn't go to any of the fancy drama schools/universities. People like Emma Corrin (new princess Diana on The Crown) seem to be getting cast in things without…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jun 2019

looking for action roles...

I really want to get into acting and try out for action roles. I know im pigeon holing myself by going for specific type of roles, but that is the whole reason why i love acting. I love the adrenaline rush, and the stunts you get to do, and embody characters that are strong,confident, and powerful! that and the fact th…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jun 2019

How many hours should I rehearse at home before I perform on stage ( play )

Hi, I’m a 15 year old who has been acting for quite a while now and I totally love acting. But I want to know how long should an actor rehearse at home to prepare for their role. Some of my friends say they rehearse an hour , even 15 minutes, I don’t know how long I should rehearse for so Do you guys have any suggestio…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jun 2019

Is it possible to balance a relationship and still do acting?

Seems every photographer/coach/ anyone in the field is always telling me to be single. Not sure if they’re trying to ruin me or giving me the truth. but I dont really believe you need to be single to be successful as an actor ?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jun 2019

Child Actor Demo Reel

Hi, everyone! I just recently put together my demo reel, and would like some opinions on if I should switch up the current order, and if so, what scene I should start/end with instead? Also, if you have any ideas on what other types of material I should put in, please let me know. Thank you so much! ​ My reel: […

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Jun 2019

Voice over demo with video

I know everyone hates Fiverr, but I've seen a lot of voice over demos there where the voice actor takes several TV commercials and removes the audio and then adds their own as if they were the original voice of the commercial. If you google the original commercial, you'll find that it's an entirely different voice and…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jun 2019

Advice for aspiring Toronto actors?

I’m from Ontario, Canada and I moved to Toronto a few years back to go to school and hopefully get started on auditions again (I used to do lots as a kid.) As it does, life got in the way and I never ended up doing what I wanted to do. I’m at the end of my rope and I quit my job to pursue my dreams. It’s crazy, I know,…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jun 2019

Actors Access - Is It Worth Paying for Application Submissions???

So far, I did not pay for anything on Actors Access. I see a lot of roles I can apply for, but I don't know if I should pay $2 for each application submission. There was one opportunity I was able to find outside the database on my own, and I managed to email my resume and headshots to the casting company (for free, of…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jun 2019

A question about UK agents ..

Let’s say that I have a green card for the US and a resume large enough to sign with a top-tier UK agent. Most of the big agencies help many of their actors book US roles. I am an EU citizen though and have decided to start looking for UK/American agents unfortunately after Brexit which means I won’t be able to work on…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jun 2019

Pursuing Character Voiceover for Aussies at Sydney's SMASH!

**Looking at Pursuing Character Voiceover as an Australian Aspiring or Professional Voice Actor?** I'll be running two panels across the 13th and 14th of July at [SMASH! Sydney Manga and Anime Show](https://www.facebook.com/smashcon/?__tn__=%2CdK-R-R&eid=ARCOdPp1oZzk7AXEgZlxs1rPl1ENO5fJyBKzpnRhWc6lQnY0_BeYu1GFsVSnPoKH7…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jun 2019

Resume for actor/musician

Hi there! I'm a young actor/musician, and I'm wondering if it's normal / appropriate to have a dedicated music section in my resume where I would list all my work MDing/accompanying for the theatre. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jun 2019

Do film actors need to learn movement?

If I am a film actor, do I need to take movement classes or is that only used for stage acting? In general, are there any times that stage and film acting overlap?

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jun 2019

Advice for Auditioning for a Young Character (8-17 yrs old) when I'm An Adult (22 F)

Hi y'all. I think I can audition for a young character despite my age because my face looks like it hasn't changed since my high school days and I kinda have a youthful appearance. So, I was wondering if there's any advice y'all can offer for me to keep in mind before and during my audition. I know there are actors on…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jun 2019

Reading before class?

Is it a good idea to read acting books before taking a class or is it best to go into the class blind? Some of the books that I was thinking of reading are “An Actor Prepares”, and “Audition”.

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jun 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jun 20

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jun 2019

Should I join SAG-AFTRA?

I have the opportunity to join SAG through a principal role in a SAG-AFTRA short film (honestly not sure if the film would make me SAG-E or must join), but I'm not sure if I should join right now as I have no acting experience besides commercials/modeling work. My reel right now consists of a short beauty film/commerci…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jun 2019

Money Train Scene

Hey guys! Not really a question but I just started acting about a month ago and I have my first showcase in about 2 months in LA. Anyway, the scene I wanted to perform for the showcase was one from White Men Can’t Jump starring Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes (one of my favorite movies) but I was hesitant to choose m…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jun 2019

Full time jobs in Los Angeles

Hey, Is their any actors in Los Angeles working full time jobs while pursuing an acting career? If so what do you do? I am just curious because I know many actors work a bunch of part time jobs to make time for classes or auditions and wanted to see if juggling the two is possible since I am moving down there soon. &#x…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jun 2019

Hyphenated names

Voice actors with hyphenated and/or long last names-- do you go by a shortened version of your name to make it easier for clients to find you? Is it a pain to deal with financial/legal stuff if your stage name is different from your legal name?

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jun 2019

Help me develop a roadmap

Foreigner based in LA, 28, male looking to pursue acting. My goal is to quit corporate job next year around this time (can't right now due to immigration status). Aiming for July 1st 2020, more specifically. What is the best path for someone with no experience to start, assuming you don't have to work to support yourse…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jun 2019

IDEAL REELS 12: JULIAN BACHLOW

Hey everyone, I participated in a contest with a custom scene provided showing my Acting chops, check it out, let me know what you think! Give it a like if you can and check out the other Actors reels. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZpUd8AnkY4&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2yLaAVj3uFhPZu2mxjkvksK2pAsV7xjfOmvDRbVzIqpNG…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jun 2019

What are some must-watch movies/shows for the performances?

Curious what pieces of media people would recommend for the actors' work in them - I recently saw Call Me By Your Name and I was super into it for that reason. ALSO I'm curious if anyone has any comedies that fit the ticket, since I feel like performances in them are often overlooked.

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jun 2019

EPA walk-In appointments for Equity actors (nyc)

Hi all, new to equity and am planning to go to my first EPA tomorrow that I don’t have an appointment for - I know there are walk-in slots, but how likely is it that I’ll get one? Those of you who’ve walked in before, did you have to wait all day as if you were non union, or was it pretty straightforward? I know it’s c…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jun 2019

BIG LITTLE LIES: MERYL STREEP'S PERFORMANCE

So I am obsessing over her work on this show. I was so curious to see what she would bring, and if her game would up the game of the other ladies. I believe her presence has - but as an actress I'm curious what you think the specific reasons are that makes her so.....GOOD? Every little thing from playing with the cross…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jun 2019

What do you do in your idle time?

Hey r/acting, I’m an actor in South Florida, and as of recent years there just hasn’t been many auditions to go out for in my area. I’m early on in my career, with likely not enough credits to get an agent, but I’m coming to learn that there aren’t many auditions to build up a resume that are just open to find without…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jun 2019

How to keep moving forward?

Hey acting! hope you all are well. I love this forum and visit it frequently, thank you all for sharing your successes and questions! I'm a 25 year old Male, Los angeles based actoe. I was wondering. How do you keep moving forward? I take classes, have reps, taking care of my health. Yet I feel very stuck. things were…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jun 2019

Sandman, how?

As an actor and writer, I am always on the hunt for a new project I would love to be in. Recently I realize my dream is coming true and Sandman is becoming a thing! I want to be in Sandman, as an actor, many of us have what we call our "Dream Role"- from what you can guess it's a role that we have always wanted to play…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jun 2019

My last post on this subreddit

So I realized so many things about the voice over industry. I will just shoot them off really quick and then end with the BIG realization that you guys may not know. Regardless, I want to leave here with some honest thoughts, even though acting is all about lying to yourself and others... ​ So here goes. &#x200B…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jun 2019

I'm not an actor but I need advice! How do I control my smile!

I have noticed that when I get really uncomfortable, like a friend telling me about the passing of a loved one or something else horrendous, all I can do is smile. I hate myself for it, but I cant control it. I mentioned it to my therapist and she said it was a defence mechanism (I was beaten by my dad growing up) and…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jun 2019

Casting Rooms: First or Last?

Just wondering about people's personal experiences with auditioning. I recently had a commercial audition and was one of the very last people to go in, and this got me thinking; have you had more success being one of the first actors in the casting room that day or one of the last? I feel like the first one's can reall…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jun 2019

What are the first steps I should take to start off my career?

Hi guys! I'm kinda scared to post this because people might think that I'm delusional and whatnot for wanting to be an actress because it's an ambitious goal/dream, but I think this subreddit might be the only place to ask. NOTE: I also checked out the sidebar and the FAQ post, but I was hoping for more personal advice…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

I can do some voices, any advice.

I can do a handful of voices. I’ll randomly do one and people are surprised and say something about doing voices. I never gave it much thought. Figured I would go on Reddit and see what people say. Something like “yeah just go to auditions and see if people like your sound” or “Just upload a video or sound bite of your…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Best NYC Training

I'm a New York City based voice actor and I was looking for a coach or a class to further my journey into the world of voice acting. It seems hard to tell with these classes and coaches who's legit and i was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for coaching or classes here in the city.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Extra Skills and type cast request!

Hello there! First time pots here. I'm currently working as a commercial actor/model in Japan but looking to make my move back to the UK an pursue acting career. I have a few modeling head-shots and done a few short films but I am struggling to find my type and direction. *Processing img 6cozwo5d1u431...* ​ My h…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Is Mr. Cousineau from HBO's Barry a good acting teacher?

So I was wondering this but didn't know where I should ask it. I'm currently watching a loving HBO's Barry. It's really like no other show I've seen before. Offbeat and humorous but also really serious and dark at time. This show can reach Parks and Rec levels of humor and Breaking Bad levels of suspense but it juggles…