Acting forums, all in one place

19,653 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Searching for some training or classes

Hey guys!! I’m new to this sub, but I’m an actress trying to break into the business. I’m moving to Reno, NV in a couple weeks (only 8 hours from LA!!!!) and want to get into some training workshops or classes, but don’t really know where to even start. Anyone taken any of the classes in the area that they can recommen…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Any recommendations for 10 minute plays for 2 male actors?

My friend and I are struggling to find good scripts online and we may have to write our own (we've never done it before). To give context, we are both 17 but can play characters in their twenties. Thanks! P.S. Sexual content is a no but mild language and violence is ok

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Aussie (or people who know) actors help me please oh god

So I’m wondering, I’ve already god an agent who gets me a decent amount of work I mean considering my resume and stuff she gets me short films and sometimes auditions for ads and rarely tv auditions, How does an Australian get an agent over in America, preferably LA who gets persistent work?

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Instagram pod for actors and people in the industry

Hey all, A friend of mine has set up an Instagram pod on WhatsApp where we can post links to our recent posts and get likes and comments from the group, plus new followers. Instagram is becoming a key social media platform for actors and people in the business, I’m sure many of you have seen or read that people have be…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Is there such a thing as a "normal" voice for voice acting (and a lack thereof)?

This post is on a throwaway account because of the embarrassing and personal nature of it. I'm not sure if this is the right subreddit to ask this question, but seeing as how my other alternatives were more geared towards the field of singing which I have less interest in, I figured that this is the closest thing. I've…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Is this an issue?

Hello! On my goal of becoming an actor and a voice over actor, I always have something I don’t feel confident about and worry if it will hurt my chances at parts. I have a slight lisp that most people can’t really hear but some can and it’s something I’m self conscious about. Thanks for the advice!!

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

Relocating and Need Advice!

Hey ya'll! ​ So- I'm an actor in ATL and will be relocating to the NYC market next month. I mainly do theatre, but do film/commercials as well and am represented by an agent in the film market. I'm feeling like I'm in a bit of a dilemma about a couple of things and wondering if anyone had any advice! ​ 1.…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jun 2019

I need some help, I'm struggling with a character and I have to perform in two weeks.

Hi, I'm an italian amateur, I'm not a professional actress and I've been acting for about 3 years. This year I've been given the part of Renfield in Dracula, because I did well at the audition, but even then it was clear that I couldn't speak loud enough to fill a theatre, but the teacher shrugged it off. Now, I must s…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jun 2019

How do I handle the inviting of my agent to my show?

Hi! I’m an actress in the Chicago area and I just recently signed with an agent. I am currently in a theatre production and I sent her an update to let her know what I’m up to and to invite her to the show. She said she’s interested in attending. How do people usually handle this sort of thing? Let them get tickets and…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jun 2019

What is a voice actor?

\*WALL OF TEXT BEGIN\* ​ ​ Those of you that know me, THINK you know me. Truth is you don't. The internet is never a good way to judge someone. The rules that apply here online are egregious to say the least. I wrote this because I think newcomers need to know what this whole field is about. I think that…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jun 2019

How do I get into Voice Acting - UK based

I've always had an interest in doing some form of acting, I dont feel I'd do too well in front of a camera but I do love the idea of being able to be the voice of a character in a series or a game etc. I have a good ear for picking up different sounds and techniques voice actors use or audio ques to set a scene and I f…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jun 2019

High school actor

I’m in high school right now and I want to be an actress as an adult. Any tips for helping me get better now and possibly some gigs?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jun 2019

Why do actors use tongue in kissing scenes?

Whenever I see someone asking for advice on their first kiss scene, everyone tells them that they should not use tongue. However, watching mainstream TV shows, there's some tongue in so many kissing scenes. Examples: https://images.app.goo.gl/XiV28Fu9AozJgFqEA https://images.app.goo.gl/tqn46M67t4Sh57aZ9 https://images.…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jun 2019

Good Plays to Start off with and what to look for as a beginner actor.

Hello! Just a little background information. I'm currently a 17 year old male that just finished their junior year of about to high school. I'm trying to get a little more informed about plays and acting culture I guess in general. I've been in a few plays such as Chicago and Chorus-line, but kind of mindlessly read th…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jun 2019

[PAID WORK] Voice actors needed to record articles

Hi! Looking for voice actors to record articles from the web (provided by us). Both females and males, must be native English speakers, British speakers preferred. Would need a good mic and sample. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jun 2019

Types.

Starting out, and especially since I came from the theatre world, I thought I could play any role. My headshots were good but muddy because I didn’t hone in on a market beforehand. I started listening to a lot of podcasts and watching a ton of actor interviews on YouTube, got some great advice from working friends, and…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jun 2019

Advice for acting

All around, what is the best move to make as an actor.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Jun 2019

Article narrations needed - $15 / hour recorded

Hi! Looking for voice actors to record articles from the web (provided by us). Both females and males, must be native English speakers. Would need a good mic and sample. Not necessarily looking for professional voice actors. Just people who have some free time and want to make some cash. Pay Rate is $15 / hour narrated…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Jun 2019

Actors

What a difficult act ? Funny or action or tragedy .

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Jun 2019

I have started a new subreddit focused solely on background actors (bactors), r/bactors

# Hello, # After some deliberation, I have decided to start a subreddit focused specifically on the issues and needs of background actors/extras (and stand-ins), r/bactors. # The r/acting subreddit, as stated in the mission statement, is a space meant for those who are "interested in the art of Acting"; thus, this subr…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Jun 2019

What are the unique challenges that you're currently facing as an actor?

Hi, everyone! I'm in the process of interviewing several actors for a personal project, and I'm interested in some feedback about the specific challenges that you're experiencing as an actor? Specifically, I'm interested in challenges you're currently facing related to the following: * Auditioning (confidence, preparat…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Jun 2019

WORST Performances by Professional Voice Actors!

[https://youtu.be/wZpt7MNA\_yg](https://youtu.be/wZpt7MNA_yg) In this scene from Resonance of Fate [Nolan North](https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0636046/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3), [Scott Menville](https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0579914/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t1) , and [Jessica DiCicco](https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0223740/?ref_=ttfc_fc_c…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Jun 2019

Some voice actor interactions

This weekend I attended AnimeNext in Atlantic City and was able to meet Max Mittelman and Josh Grelle (notable roles include: Max -Saitama of One Punch Man, Josh - Yuri of Yuri on Ice)! They are just such nice people and I had the pleasure of being able to interact with the. At their respective panels and gain some goo…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Jun 2019

Actors of Reddit

How would/did you feel when a director’s cameraman whips out a phone to film?

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Jun 2019

The future of auditions and the move towards self tapes

Hi everyone. I just wanted to get your viewpoints /opinions on where you think auditions will be heading in the future. For example, how do we think the audition process will shift 5-10 years from now? With more and more of the industry doing self tapes, do you think self tapes would make it possible for actors from an…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Jun 2019

Young actor in dallas lost!

Hello! So I'm a young actor and I'm trying to find auditions in my area (dallas, tx). But am finding it very difficult to find any work! I've thought about signing up for backstage, but the cost really scares me especially if I can't get any work out of it. Any advice?

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Jun 2019

received letter from EDD wanting information- LA Actor- do I respond?

Has anyone received a letter from the State of California Employment Development Department (EDD)? I received one today though I've never applied for unemployment, saying they received information that I've provided services for my commercial agency. Within 5 days time, they are requiring me to send them details of dat…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Jun 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jun 13

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Jun 2019

“You’ll never do X monologue as good as Y performer.”

Went to an agent showcase in LA a few days ago because, hey, freelancing can be tiresome and I needed somebody more dedicated to my career. Four agents present. Did a monologue from a tv show episode that aired 2-3 years ago. Finished and waited for feedback. Most of them said they had never seen the show. One guy on t…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Jun 2019

How do I stop being an asshole?

I just want to go to a damn play and ENJOY IT. Yet my brain automatically starts judging and criticizing every little detail and making mental notes of what not to do or what could have been done better and how that monologue could have been said differently with this tactic instead of that one and how that costume's t…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Jun 2019

Los Angeles Coaching/Classes

Hi folks, I'm trying to get up and running as a voice actor and I'm located in Los Angeles, there are a staggering amount of options for coaching/classes around here, so I figured I would ask if anybody had some recommendations to supplement my research into the topic. Any suggestions help! Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jun 2019

Giving "You" in the audition

HELLLO! ​ New actor here, sort of, with a question. I was asked to prepare a favorite story or speech to give to the Director for the audition. I am bit confused as I am not sure if they would like something like a personally prepared story or a piece that highlights my best acting qualities. What was asked is d…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jun 2019

How to hone acting?

I’ve always wanted to be an actor but certain people and reasons had made it seem impossible. However, recently, I’ve decided to simply go for it, and I auditioned for a musical (and got in!). I was wondering if any of you had any tips on how to hone acting. I would really appreciate it

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jun 2019

how to hone acting?

I’ve always wanted to be an actor but certain people and reasons had made it seem impossible. However, recently, I’ve decided to simply go for it, and I auditioned for a musical (and got in!). I was wondering if any of you had any tips on how to hone acting. I would really appreciate it

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jun 2019

Best LA casting websites?

I’ll be moving to LA next month and was struggling to decide which casting website to sign up for as they all require payment. - backstage - actors access - la casting/casting networks Any suggestions?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jun 2019

Taken step one.

For years i have dreamt of being an actor. I've never been brave enough to take a step toward that dream. Not even an inch. Anxiety catches up with me and scares me out of doing anything about it. What if i'm not good enough? What if i do it and hate it? ​ But today i've taken a step. I've signed up to a weekend…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jun 2019

Can playing a physical abuser negatively effect an actor afterwards?

Is it possible that by exploring that rage that you might open that up in yourself and not be able to close it back up again? Has anyone ever had feelings of fearing they may loose control afterwards in their personal life? Or maybe just the role itself changed them negatively, ie: outlook on life, ability to trust/ope…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Jun 2019

Hey, any resources for an aspiring voice actor?

I'm not gonna jump head first into the characters and stuff just yet. For now, just looking for some simple voice over work, like for ads and stuff. Can anyone point me in a direction?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jun 2019

In college and trying to take acting seriously, help me out with tips?

Hey r/acting! I'm 19, from Chicago, fairly confident in my looks, and finished my first year of college in Upstate New York. I'm looking for ways to start taking acting seriously and start getting more experience. I started off in high school by complete accident as I walked into the wrong classroom. Teacher asked me t…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jun 2019

Etiquette for Professional Actors - Interview with Peggy O'Connell

I just interviewed Broadway Veteran Peggy O'Connell ("My One and Only") about her new book "Prudence Pickle Presents: Etiquette for Professional Actors". The interview and book are full of all the unspoken rules of the theatre and film sets and many professional and beginning actors don't realize how many of these rule…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jun 2019

Has anyone here been to/auditioned for the Oxford School of Drama (UK)?

Hi guys, ​ It's my first time posting here so hope this is an okay post. ​ I have an audition for the 1 year course at the Oxford School of Drama in a couple of days, and this also happens to be my first ever audition. I have my 2 monologues sort of prepared (Iago's 2nd soliloquy from Othello and an exert…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jun 2019

About intentions and process

Hi, I'm just at the beginning of my path as an actor, and I'm trying to find my personal artistic process (or method, if you like). So far I've read "On acting" Meisner, "The Intent to Live" by Larry Moss, and some Stanislavsky. I know that many actors go through a different process for each role they play, but I'd lik…