Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jul 2019

Actors who are parents

What do you do with your kids when your required to travel to film something. Do they go with you? If not how do you deal with being apart from them for so long, especially if they are little.

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jul 2019

Looking for Voice Actors?

If I were to say start a small indie animated project, how would I go about casting a team of voices for it? Should I start here? Is there another sub or forum on the internet where I should fish for talent? Is anyone interested in working on a *very* low budget project?? So many questions!

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jul 2019

Canadian Child Actor in US

My son is getting into acting and we are from Canada, but have been living in Texas for the past 2 years under my husbands L1 work visa. What kind of visa (if any) does my son need? And, do I apply for it or does his acting job apply? Also, does he need a social security number, I assume he does but I’m so lost on all…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jul 2019

A question about the bigger UK agencies

I am sorry for the stupid question but i'm a foreigner coming from a small market so i don't fully know how the industry in the UK works. Let's say i sign with a top-tier agent from an agency that helps their actors land big studio US roles.. whenever there's a script for one of those roles sent to one agent - does thi…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jul 2019

College; Pros and Cons

(If there is already a post about this please link it!!) I am a junior in high school, trying to figure out what to do for the future. My main dream is to be an actress. I’ve only done school productions before (due to lack of money) but I’ve done very well in them. (14 shows, 11 as main) my “plan” is to go to college…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jul 2019

how to know if you're inhibiting yourself?

hey r/acting! long time no see. ​ i'm a 16 year old living in australia. if it's important, i'm not white (so diversity points? or something? idek, just thought might as well include it). earlier this year, i switched from my old agency; they're sorta known, because of its links to a well-known kids' performing…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jul 2019

Help Support me in my acting journey

Hello fellow actors! I’ve joined in a reality talent search on national tv. I reached this milestone because of the tips and techniques I’ve learned in this subreddit so I would like to thank you guys!I was hoping if you guys could help me by voting for me! :) You can watch my acting videos on youtube because part of t…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jul 2019

Understanding contracts with 'In Perpetuity'?

I have been cautious of signing contracts that states "In perpetuity" or any other variations of that word. Is that a strict requirement for all film contracts (Be it a student film, feature film, commercial etc)? Most importantly, should it be signed? Is there way to bypass it or change it? Can it be beneficial to the…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jul 2019

Looking For Acting School/Classes/Coaches in Miami, FL

Hey I’m moving to Miami soon and was wondering if there are any good acting studios, classes, or coaches that you guys recommend. I’m a beginner and want to better my craft as an actor. Please let me know. Thanks:)

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jul 2019

Do casting websites help?

Hello everyone, ​ Okay so my question is straight forward but I want to know if anyone has had really success and luck with online websites? I have had in the past Back Stage, Actors Access, Casting Network. Not sure if I just wasn't utilizing them correctly but thought I'd ask the publics opinion on it and see…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

I'd it normal for close friends not to come see you perform?

Not sure if this is the right sort of thing to discuss here, if not I am sorry. Here's my personal issue: I've never asked friends or even family to see any of my performances before (because of confidence and I didn't want to put them out). But now I have a large role in a performance that I'm really proud of and it's…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

My first professional gig!!

Heyoooo fellow actors! I recently graduated from my conservatory program in NYC and have been living here since. My survival job is rather boring and not in my career path but the people are very nice. I haven't been able to audition bc of my own insecurities, habits, and lack of time management but I have been sending…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

How do I give this up?

Part of this is a rant, but I'm also genuinely asking for advice: I'm a really bad actor. In college I was cut from a BFA acting program. I didn't fit in, and I think my (at the time) whole-hearted attempts at "honing my craft" were amusing at best and cringy at worst. That was ten years ago. I'm 29 now and have a full…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

United States to Canada?

I’m currently an actor in Washington state and I was wondering what the process looks like if I wanted to act in Vancouver, BC. I would want to still live in Washington but submit for stuff there too. I visit there a few times a year already with a passport, but my specific question is regarding work visas/permits and…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

I want to be an actor.

I’m a freshman in theatre. How would I go about becoming an actor for commercials/tv/movies.

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

Should I even consider trying to audition for roles and find an agent while in college?

I’m 18 and about to start college next month. I’m majoring in Political Science, not theatre or any of the arts. Acting and performing has always been a huge part of my life, I’ve got several acting awards through my high school drama competitions along with a plethora of public speaking awards with various organizatio…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

Offered representation - too easy to be true?

I've recently moved to a new city, which has a thriving film and TV industry. I've been contacting agents for the last couple of weeks, introducing myself, sharing my showreel, CV and headshots, and asking for a meeting. Most of them have outright ignored me. Some of them have politely stated their books are closed (I'…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

Becoming an actress

Hello everyone. I though I would ask here, since I did not found much information by searching on Google. I wanted to become an actress since I was very young, I was attending various “Acting Camps” in my country where I had mostly main roles, but I would like acting to become my profession, because it is my passion. U…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

LA Actors: Avoid the Church of Scientology classes

So I live in Hollywood, and as an actor who has been slowly transitioning to behind the camera work, I've decided to start doing one on one acting coaching as both a way to help others with self-tapes and technique, make some side cash, and improve my directing skills. I've come to be disturbed to find that LOTS of act…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jul 2019

I never had an acting agent before today, and now I have two!

Yo guys. Just wanted to celebrate the fact that I finally have representation! For about a year I've been looking for someone who might pick me up but it's proved difficult without professional film/tv credits. All i've done is student film and a short promo film for an organization, but I eventually harassed enough pe…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jul 2019

Article about a lack of passion for theatre and a passion for attention instead(?)

I remember reading (not sure if it was here or r/theatre) an interview outline an acting teacher talking on a philosophy that not all actors have a passion for theatre. Some simply have a passion for attention, and for some that passion is strong enough to make a career out of it. As he described, the actor with a pass…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jul 2019

do you have to act in school plays to become an actor?

im totally new at this, but ive always wanted to become an actor; although ive never persued it. ive never been interested in auditioning for high school plays or going into drama class simply because im too shy in front of my classmates. id rather start elsewhere, like in local plays instead. i know its strongly sugge…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jul 2019

A VA musical??

I just finished watching “What About Dick?” on Netflix. From the *very* Monty Python influenced mind of Eric Idles, you can safely assume this is comedy gold from start to finish. Here’s why it’s relevant to the VA community: It’s a pretty good look behind the curtain of how radio dramas were created right around the t…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jul 2019

Found out that i could get a referral (for an agent). Should i?

I basically had decided to move to the UK (i'm from Europe) given the fact that i almost have enough credits to get a top-tier agent but.. Brexit will happen. As of right now i don't have any time. I could get a mid-tier agent which ISN'T fatal at all, but i have found out that a friend of my mom's is represented by a…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jul 2019

New and Wanting to Learn

Hello, all. ​ I'm new to acting in general, as I've only begun my journey a few months ago back in March by taking lessons as a voice actor. ​ However, as I've progressed, I've become fascinated and infatuated with the world of acting as a whole, not just with voice acting. I've watched a lot of videos on…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jul 2019

Tips for a director about to rehearse with actors?

Hey. I'm making my first short film with quite a large budget (for a short) and will soon go into rehearsals with actors, something I've never done. While some have little experience, other actors are actually quite experienced, been co-stars on many known TV shows, etc. We're scheduled for 4 rehearsals, with the last…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jul 2019

Can I get some suggestions on my next mic?

Would love for any help the sub may offer. Currently using the Audio Technica AT2020. I do about half of my work from my home studio and would like to do more from home. I'm thinking it's time to step up the mic quality. The AT2020 is a solid mic But it requires too much EQ tweaking to give it some clarity and brightne…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jul 2019

This may sound like a strange request but...

I wanted to see if there are any actors with a good amount of experience who would be able to have a conversation with me. I just have so many questions and I need to find out a lot. Not just about the world of acting but if it’s right for me. It’s all just too much to just ask post by post and I would like to really g…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jul 2019

the casting process is insane so give yourself some credit

Full disclosure, I don't work in Hollywood at all. But I've got a relative who does and recently she had to cast a minor role in a movie and we ended up looking through the (30ish) audition clips together. And guys... we were rejecting them for the most innocent shit. I think there were only one or two auditions which…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jul 2019

How should I record voiceover for a 5-year old male child?

I'm working on a long-term animated project called Kashingkan, and I'm nearing completion of my second episode. In this episode have a male character who is 5 years old and has 4 or 5 lines of dialogue. I tried recording the lines myself and heavily adjusting the pitch so my voice sounds high, but it sounded really unn…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jul 2019

Bad Meisner acting teaching?

Hi all. I've been attending Meisner acting classes. The focus of the class is the repetition exercise. First few sessions, all went well. I was following impulses, paying attention to partner, honestly laughing, crying, getting angry, embarrassed etc etc. But then a couple of sessions ago, the teacher seemed to start p…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jul 2019

Advice for someone looking for voice actors?

My dad and I are huge fans of R.C. Bray and original audibles like Man on the Mountaintop. I would love to one day have my book adapted to an audio version. I'm curious what are good directions to give when doing a cast calling? Or the best way to give directions to a voice actor? TIA!

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jul 2019

Voiceovers - are they a hobby, or are they your Business?

I'm Joshua Alexander, been doing voiceover since 1993 and I am very grateful. :-) Many clients have chosen me to tell their story: Nutrisystem. Uber. Zillow. Cadillac. Wrangler. Microsoft. John Deere. 4Ocean. Ecolab. Unicef. Deloitte. Enterprise. Specialties are E-Learning, Instructional Videos, Narration, Movie Traile…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jul 2019

How do you throw yourself into a role?

I’m an amateur actress who does acting on the side. I’m by no means talented, but I love it. I’m looking to improve, but I’ve noticed that whenever I take on a role, I find myself deliberately planning tiny details to be convincing versus just immersing myself in the world of the character and letting things happen. Fo…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jul 2019

Ariel Theme Park Casting Question

Possibly more film marketing related rather than acting -- but might be a different topic than the usual for a fun Friday thread. (you can downvote if you hate this topic and I won't feel bad) ​ With the recent casting of a black actress for the part of Ariel in Disney's "The Little Mermaid", how are they now go…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jul 2019

Crit role has conditioned mr

I was able to identify all of the voice actors from critical role in the spider Man PS4 game soley based on fragments I'm proud of myself

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jul 2019

Is it a bad idea to audition for a role without having ever taken an acting class?

So theres a few roles for student films in my area that have posted auditions for them and I'm wondering whether I might look like an idiot auditioning for it with no general knowledge on the field. I've only been reading about it and how the different techniques and methods work in acting. Right now I'm reading a book…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jul 2019

Why do agents submit you for featured background roles?

Hello guys. I am terribly confused. Most of us know that extra roles have know value in a film unless it is a speaking role, and even then, if it's not a principal role (5 lines and up), it's not worth much. I am confused as to why an agent would submit you to featured soc bg roles? More confusing is I have seen many a…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jul 2019

Young Australian Actor Questioning Move to London, is it worth it? (ADVICE PLEASE)

Hi everyone! I’m a young actor in Australia in his final year of schooling and plan to move over to London at some point (but study here due to lower costs, if I’m able to of course) to pursue acting and get involved in the industry there. I would be able to get a passport and I have some family in and about there as w…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jul 2019

I want to become an actor

So I’m a 15 year old from Ontario, Canada and for a while now I’ve really wanted to pursue acting, and no matter how many old posts I find from this sub I just can’t figure out where I should start. I’m afraid I can’t take drama in high school because for Grade 11 drama I need Grade 9 and/or Grade 10 prerequisites, whi…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jul 2019

Advice on getting a volume of practice in for a new actor?

I’m looking to get a lot more practice in than I do. I’m in a cold reads class once a week. It’s great, but I realized that I’m only acting opposite someone for maybe 15 minutes a week. I practice a lot alone in my garage which is awesome for memorization but not awesome for most other aspects of acting. I’m a new acto…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jul 2019

Who's more fun to party with? Theatre actors or Film actors?

The Ultimate Question. Personally, I cannot pick... I have friends in both areas and both are unique and fun in their own ways. Although partying with theatre kids will always have a little more sophistication and elegance. Sorry film friends...

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jul 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jul 4

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…