Acting forums, all in one place

19,657 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

How do actors draw on past experiences?

You hear it all the time where professional actors mention drawing on past experiences to prepare a role. Is it just recalling emotional memory? How can I draw on my past experiences? I dont wanna use emotional memory btw I find it's the worst technique to evoke emotion.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

What else can I do for my career? (NYC)

I am always attempting to put 100% percent into whatever I do, which includes my acting career. So far I do the following things on a regular basis: \- Take Classes \- Self Submit for casting calls on Actor's Access \- Self Submit for any/all student films for universities \- Working with my manager to connect myself t…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

Hate my job, love reading/writing/narrating/acting, any tips?

So I'm... less than a beginner at this. After being really sick of my job for awhile and building up steady admiration for voice actors in my favorite entertainment mediums, I found a desire to look into the voiceover field. I'm aware that expecting some kind of big-shot gig in animation, games or dubbing is unrealisti…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

Insight From Academy Award Winning Director Kenneth Lonergan

I was in NYC a few weeks ago and crossed paths with my friend and fellow creative, Kenneth Lonergan. We met back in 2015 on the set of *Manchester By The Sea.* Working on that film and meeting him have been such gifts in my life. We were catching up over dinner and I was telling him about my site ActorPlaybook. I was e…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

Insight From Academy Award Winner Kenneth Lonergan

I was in NYC a few weeks ago and crossed paths with my friend and fellow creative, Kenneth Lonergan. We met back in 2015 on the set of *Manchester By The Sea.* Working on that film and meeting him have been such gifts in my life. We were catching up over dinner and I was telling him about my site ActorPlaybook. I was e…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

Should I meet this director? (Stranger danger)

I’m a young woman that’s just beginning to start acting. After taking one class, I’ve decided that my two short term goals for now are to take an improv class (starting in January) and to try to build a reel. There is this director that posted in a Facebook group I’m in seeking an actress near NYC to do a scene study a…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

In a rut

Hello! I've been a full time employee for about 10 years. In that time I have done 3-5 plays and 100-150 shows per year. I usually do 3 or more different roles per play, no leading roles yet. But I think I have pretty decent experience. I have always been happy doing everything my job have told me to do, and I have don…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

Questions for extras/background actors!?

So I just got two background roles in two productions, and this would be my first time doing this. I hear a lot of people saying to bring snacks and your own wardrobe and things like that. But my question is, do you have to being multiple outfits in a suitcase? Or do you show up wearing the outfit? And secondly, is the…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

Curious about acting...

Hey, I’m a screenwriter that has toyed with the idea of learning how to act. I’m working on a script, and I’ll have to fill a role, but want some knowledge or tips on acting. I’ve read somewhere that recording yourself helps, but really wanted to know what other actors and actresses advice would be?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Nov 2019

Acting with ADD/ADHD

Hi folks, If it's okay, I'd really like this only to be answered by people with ADD/ADHD! When I was young I did have someone suggest that I have this, but I had good grades and had some preconceived notions...anyway, now I'm an adult, know a lot more about it, and do think I may have it. I will definitely be seeing a…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Nov 2019

Which cities are now best for acting careers?

I’m currently getting into acting and I moved to Chicago a year ago. I’m curious what cities are the best for acting careers? Can you even break into the industry in Chicago? I know Chicago is great for improv and theatre but what about breaking into Film and TV? Is it best to move to LA? What about New York and Atlant…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Nov 2019

Which studio to get demo reel producted NYC?

Hello! I’ve been working as a voice actor for almost two years now, looking to find a good studio in NYC to get a reel done. I was looking at Edge or Sweet Spot, but was curious if anyone has any other options, or had used them before! Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Nov 2019

How many different classes should I take?

I recently moved to LA and took three introductory acting classes all from reputable names in the industry. I liked all of them for their own qualities and how I felt they could help me best as an actor, but I’m realizing now that I’ll have to drop one or two of them since it is just too much work week after week and t…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Nov 2019

Unexperince, aspiring actress. Help me start a career. Tips and suggestions wanted!!

Hi, I'm interested in becoming an actress. I'm 22yrs, I have absolutely NO experience in the acting field. I live in a smaller town with no opportunities. I live about 90mins away from Toronto. I have bad anxiety also.. 1. Do I even have a chance? 2. Where do I even start? 3. Where do I find an agent? 4. My family will…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Nov 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Nov 21

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Nov 2019

Best On-Camera Class NYC?

As a theater actor transitioning to film/tv I am currently looking for an on-camera class to supplement my scene study class. I have worked with an On-Camera coach, but am looking for a more regular class setting. Who would you recommend? Who has the best reputation in the industry. Also looking for suggestions other t…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Nov 2019

How to underplay?

Hello fellow actors and actresses. It's been two solid months at Film School, and I've done amateur theatre in school and college a while ago until I got super fried at my desk job and finally took the plunge. I'm currently studying screen acting, and my biggest motif has been to sharpen the edges of whatever limited k…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Nov 2019

ShouldI start looking for an agent now.

So I’ve been in LA for four months, I have 10 student film and short film credits, I am going to have a pretty good reel once I get more footage, and I have good headshots that get me work or at least into the audition room. I’m submitting multiple times a day on backstage, actors access, and LA Casting and actually tr…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Nov 2019

Are stand up comedy agents a good idea for actors that want to pursue more comedy?

I ask because I've been working in the industry for 6 years now, and I've done lots of comedy jobs. It's actually the main thing I get cast in. But I don't tend to be seen for a lot of broader comedy stuff. Mostly go up for dramas. I was wondering if comedy agents (as in stand up comedy managers and agents) get casting…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Nov 2019

Hey, as an aspiring voice actor, I have a question.

So, my voice is along the lines of Steve Blum, Sam Elliot, Kevin Conroy, etc... I’m currently an Audio Engineering student, and I’ve taken a liking to the sound for motion picture side of the industry. My favorite thing that I’ve done in a class so far has been working on projects that require ADR. I love it. I’m going…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Nov 2019

How to know which agent is right for you/which agent to email?

Hi guys, I have read various guidance on how to look for an agent, I will write what I got out of that, but I am still not sure what to look for when deciding which agent to contact and how to justify it in a cover letter why exactly I am writing to that agent. I understand that I need to **check if that agent already…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Nov 2019

Need an acting reel edited?

Hey actors! If you need an edited acting reel put together, DM me! Full time video editor that can get it done with a quick turnaround

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Nov 2019

Should I list commercials on resume?

Just finished reading "Self Managment for Actors" in which the author writes that under commercials you should just list "conflicts avaliable upon request" as a way to show that you have done commercials, but not highlight them, as that may discourage CD's from seeing you as a theatrical actor than commercial. Thoughts…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Nov 2019

Speaking clearly

So I’m an inspiring voice actor and I’ve been told I have good voices for characters, but the only criticism they have is they have trouble understanding some things I say. How can I speak more clearly without it sounding weird and like I’m over pronouncing it?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Nov 2019

Scam talent agencies in Los angeles

Has anybody ever comes across what they believed to be a scam talent agency? I am doing research looking for a talent agency, but just wanted to know if anybody has any that I should probably avoid or any actor for that matter.

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Nov 2019

Is Next Star Auditions a Scam?

So I'm a bit of an aspiring actor and I audition for "Next". so far I got the callback and a paid a little bit. But idk if I should cancel or not cause I'm seeing mixed reviews online. Please help. Asap

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Nov 2019

What are some of your hobbies outside of acting if any?

I read that it’s helpful if actors exercise regularly/eat healthy, so I’m starting to learn to cook and also looking for a new activity to do to stay active. Growing up I played soccer and in college I was a varsity rower so I love active hobbies and am looking to do/learn a new one :) What are some of your activities…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Nov 2019

Do I need Backstage if I have AA (NYC)?

I currently have Actors Access for self submissions, and of course I work through my manager for potential roles. Should I be paying for backstage as well? I have friends who have gotten roles from it, but other friends who say AA is enough. Thoughts?

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Nov 2019

Recommended London acting courses

Hi guys, I'm getting ready to apply for Masters courses at Drama schools in London. I'd really like to add to my training and experience for my application so I was wondering if any London based actors on here know of any short courses they could recommend?

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Nov 2019

Audition for The Actors Studio

hi! my friend and i are auditioning for membership in the actors studio next month. it's our first time auditioning for them, i was wondering if anyone had any particular tips? we've already got our contemporary scene and everything, just if anyone had any particular tips? thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Nov 2019

Where would David Mamet want you to train?

I just finished reading True and False by David Mamet which I highly recommend. He talks a lot about how he thinks most actor training is a waste. How we work on exercises/techniques which don’t really impact our work, and we’d be better off just simply being a vehicle for the text. But an actor needs to train... Where…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Nov 2019

What Does Thespis the origin of Thespian mean?

Θέσπις From [θεός](https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%B8%CE%B5%CF%8C%CF%82#Ancient_Greek) (*theós*, “god”) and [εἶπον](https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%B5%E1%BC%B6%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%BD#Ancient_Greek) (*eîpon*, “I said”) (aorist active form of [λέγω](https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%BB%CE%AD%CE%B3%CF%89#Ancient_Greek)…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Nov 2019

How do child actors do school?

I’m assuming that child actors need a parent with them most of the time, especially if they’re on set in locations far from home. Obviously they wouldn’t be able to go to school if they’re away. Does this mean they’re taught on set? (Assuming they aren’t home schooled). And does this extend to the siblings who are like…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Nov 2019

Running lines with Alexa

Hello fellow actors! I've just released an app (https://runlines.me) to run lines with Amazon's Alexa. She's like a (very) patient friend who helps out if you forget a line or get it wrong. Works with an Amazon Echo or with the free Alexa mobile app. I'd love for you to try it out and give me some feedback. There will…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Nov 2019

Dialect Coaching Patreon!

OK all, here we go! I am an actor, and for the last three years have been the Director of Theatrical Coaching with Accent Colors Dialect Coaching. As part of my new content, I'm launching a Patreon for dialect coaching! On the 1st and 15th of each month, I'll be posting new videos with the basics for certain dialects!…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Nov 2019

Dialect Coaching Patreon!

OK all, here we go! I am an actor, and for the last three years have been the Director of Theatrical Coaching with Accent Colors Dialect Coaching. As part of my new content, I'm launching a Patreon for dialect coaching! On the 1st and 15th of each month, I'll be posting new videos with the basics for certain dialects!…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Nov 2019

Bully Animation

Hi I am looking for voice actors to act in my Bully Animation. I am looking for 2 girls that can voice act for now I will make a new post for any updates :)

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Nov 2019

Looking for actors for a short film

I am going to be filming a short film that I wrote over the month of December and I'm looking for teenage actors or actors who look like high school age, willing to be in it. Message me if you would like to hear more about it.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Nov 2019

As a beginning actor, what sort of auditions should I be looking for?

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read my post. So lately I've been really itching to act, as the last time I did was in high school, and only stopped because I hated my teacher. I'm planning on getting some training (by the way, would a 3-day intensive course count as training?) but right now I've just been goi…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Nov 2019

Stand in work on a resume- yes or no?

I’ve always been of the opinion of if it’s not acting, it doesn’t belong on an acting resume. However, I’ve now done 3 large shows in which I stood in for the 1 or the 2 and worked with some pretty well respected DOPs for big studios. I’ve learned so much, from the technical aspect of acting, to working with Oscar and…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2019

Where to live

I have money saved. I want to move to LA, take classes, and get going in acting. I can find work waiting tables. The only missing piece is finding a roof to live under. Obviously finding roommates is the way to go. Are there any underground channels for actors/artists to find each other to share living spaces?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2019

What does everyone think about the Scenebot app?

Is the pro version worth buying? (It has a "few more perks"). From their website: ### What exactly is Scenebot? Scenebot is an app and a website that allows actors to access audition material and upload their audition to be posted for casting professionals to select the best auditions to be posted to the app and websit…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2019

Advice on my ex actor

Hi so my ex was an actor as well right, and she hurt me pretty hard and we had a messy breakup. We hurt each other. She texted me the other day asking to meet up. I don’t want to, I want nothing to do with her. I’m worried though- that we’ll run into each other in acting projects, auditions, that she’ll make a billion…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2019

How do you know you’re ready for an agent?

A lot of beginning actors ask about agents, and the common answers tell them to take a class first, and do a bunch of student/indie films. I’m at a stage in my life where I am regularly submitting and auditioning for low/no pay roles and have a pretty full resume. However, I’ve only ever worked non-union jobs, and all…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2019

Letting go post-audition

Just turned in a self-tape for a series regular. That feeling we all have when you did your best and let it go into the universe! Onward, actors! Happy Friday!

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2019

Need advice asap. Approach director/producers?

I'm currently serving some directors and producers in the restaurant I'm working at. They're talking about a film they're putting together. Would it be unprofessional if I were to mention I'm an actor? Would they just be annoyed? Thanks in advance