Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2020

Adjusting to a COVID economy

Judging by the amount of auditions available and general social media, work has dropped significantly for a majority of commercial voice actors. Audiobook listeners are also listening to less work and less likely to purchase books as they no longer have a commute given they are now working from home. What are people's…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Mar 2020

Anyone else find stanisvlaski's books boring?

So I've read an actor prepares and thru building a character. I think there alright for a beginner but after gaining alot more experience since the last year I find it hard to get through them. They're not really practical and more on the philosophical side. Anyone else ever read them?

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Mar 2020

Van or Apartment for acting in LA.

So I’m a Veteran and work background for extra money. I am SAG. I have a pension and I just love doing background to supplement my money. It’s fun for me and sometimes I make super good money. I’m not really interested in being a actor, actor. I get a lot of parts without having to act for real. With that said I wanna…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Mar 2020

Quotes regarding P2P

The following are quotes from actors and actresses in the industry regarding [Voices.com](https://Voices.com) and Voice123. *"If you aren't a bookable actor, P2P is a waste of money. It'll only be profitable if you are already booking."* *"Refusing P2P will take you away from jobs and opportunities you simply will not…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Mar 2020

Can I avoid theatre?

I want to be an actor, but only on camera. I cannot do theatre, because the thought of being in front of a live audience absolutely terrifies me. I also have a terrible singing voice. Is it unrealistic for me to want to be an actor if I can’t stand stage acting?

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Mar 2020

Step 2 of Make a Living Acting anywhere from Home!

For those of you who appreciate a step by step approach in small doses on how to make a living acting anywhere and (now more than ever) from home, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel! I could really use the support and I really believe the information is super helpful to young and aspiring actors all the way up to t…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Mar 2020

Emotions

I’ve been acting for 11 years, I’ve focused on singing for the past 4 years but now I want to fully dive back into acting. I’m a really good actor but I have a lot of trouble reaching my emotions , I can be dramatic and everything but for scenes when I need to cry, or other emotional things etc. it’s extremely hard. He…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Mar 2020

i think i'm way over my head here, any advice?

so a few months ago, i joined a group small group of people who all lived in my general area because we wanted to make a movie. I was doing music and acting but now, we can't meet up so my role has been sized down to a phone call (as in my character and lines are still the same but i just need to record my voice) and i…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Mar 2020

Blacklisting Voice Actors

I recall a friend of mine mentioning how fandubs and abridged for shows will get you blacklisted from many agents and companies. However, what else does it apply to? Will doing comic dubs get you into the same trouble as fandubs and abridged series?

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Mar 2020

World Monologue Games

I'm gonna take a punt in these COVID days that this is okay to post given its an opportunity. I am not associated with it in any way and I will not be participating. Just posting entirety from other social media for interest. Mods please delete if not okay. Registrations are open for **World Monologue Games**! This eve…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Mar 2020

Acting as a career or a hobby

Hi, I'm a 25-year-old South Asian male in the US who is at a crossroads currently in determining my future. To give some context I've been an engineering student for the past 7 years but in the last 2 years, I have been gaining knowledge and reignited my passion for filmmaking. In high school, I acted in school plays a…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Mar 2020

Sense memory

Hey guys, I recently came across a stream of videos on YouTube that are on this topic of sense memory. Now before I watched these videos I was under the impression sense memory would be some form of the minds eye where you visualise an emotional event that could trigger your emotions (Meisner) such as seeing your (fake…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Mar 2020

Paid voiceover opportunity- seeking actor from Swindon.

Hi humans of reddit! I figured I’d reach out here before turning to backstage etc. Seeking an actor (or ‘real person,’ but I’d rather employ a pro if possible) from Swindon, if not Swindon, at least from Wiltshire county. Male, age 20-35. Short text to be read. No professional setup required. More info and payment deta…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Mar 2020

Any actors here in recovery for an eating disorder?

TW: Talk about my body Hey all! So I'm 30 & I've done some professional acting work. This past year I made it a goal to commit to taking the plunge into acting with hopes to eventually gain full-time work. I really enjoy acting as an art form — it makes me so incredibly happy. My soul feels absolutely connected to the…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Mar 2020

Actors in LA (or CA in general) who are filing for unemployment?

This might be a weird question to ask here.... but someone might have the answer. So as you know, our whole industry and pretty much every other one has been stunted due to Covid-19. I filed unemployment awhile ago... I have a kind of complicated wage history. I was working a serving job to supplement acting until arou…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Mar 2020

Looking for actors looking to expand their reel

I'm creating an online web series about a man searching for his abducted wife. Production budget and crew is bare bones. Likely a 1 day shoot (5 minute episodes). The film location is in the riverside county area, California. Direct message me if you're interested.

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Mar 2020

on camera training?

anybody here feel like sharing some of the basics they learned when training to become an actor? im trying to research where some of the greats trained or studied.. trouble is i cant afford it!

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2020

Do Actors Qualify for Unemployment in NY?

Hello all, Just wondering if anyone here from NY have applied for unemployment and have qualified. Nothing is filming right now. And there's a pandemic. Thank you. ______________ EDIT: Non-union, to be exact.

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2020

Voice Acting Troupe!(for supporting small voice actors!)

Hello! Me and a couple friends are putting together a voice acting troupe! The troupes specific purpose is to bring together voice actors that haven't quite found their place in the business yet and give them something to work together on! This is a completely free and open support group for anyone that wants to work t…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2020

I need your help/opinion about dropping highschool.

NOTE: I think I ended up talking about things that are relevant to the reason of this post, but weren't needed. I just felt so refreshed writing this. NOTE #2: I'm Colombian and my native language is Spanish, so I might have made some mistakes, but I think the text is clear and understandable. Hey, so I'm really consid…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2020

Looking for actors / writers to start a web show !

Hey guys I am 20 years old and I am looking for actors writers and all to start a independent web show. Thus Is for people who want to do something similar!This will be strictly ours and we will be posting on YouTube and will try to work on small films ! It will be a comedy/satire/sketch show! If you are maybe interest…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Mar 26

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2020

Looking for a Voice Actor for a short non-profit project I'm working on!

I make trailers as a hobby, and for my next project I'm looking for a voice actor who can pull off a 'trailer voice' for it. The project in question involves turning a current film into an 80s film through editing, and I really need a narrator to pull it off. The lines you will read are short, and will be provided to y…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2020

Audio Drama Bullet Born UPDATE

Sadly, due to the spread of COVID-19, our creative team has had to slow down and our voice actors have also had a hard time of being able to record their lines. So now after the release of Episode 6, there will be a mid-season break. I do not know how long this break will go on for, but hopefully not for too long. Epis…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2020

Lazy acting examples.

I’m curious to hear of other people’s run ins with lazy actors. Anyone care to share a story of working with or seeing a lazy actor at work?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Mar 2020

Internet Archive Open and Free

An Actor Prepares by Stanislavski is just one great book available online for free. There is a wealth of information at the National Archives but An Actor Prepares is a must read. There is a ton of acting videos, Stella Adlers and Lee Strasbergs books as well, A lot to cover while quarantined. Much love to you all.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2020

The Great College Search

I’m a sophomore in high school, and am beginning to narrow my college choices. I really want to major as an actress (and double-major in education as my backup, of course) but I can’t find a lot of schools that offer good acting educations. Does anybody want to recommend their/a friend’s school to be added to my list?

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2020

How do you know which shows you'd be right for?

So I'm currently in the process of trying to find an agent. I know things are slow right now, but I want to use this time to make a list. I've read the advice on here about looking for agents that have clients who are on shows "that you'd be right for." But what does this mean, exactly? What should an actor be looking…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2020

Thoughts on the Masterclass subscription service?

Was thinking of buying/splitting a membership but would like to hear other peoples' experience with the site/thoughts. They seem to have a lot of lessons with famous actors but are the classes worthwhile? I enjoy Michael Caine's acting for the camera masterclass and use that as a sort of frame of reference for other ma…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2020

Other Skills ?

I want to ask something that all aspiring actors today probably would want to know. What are some extra knowledge or skills that are wanted / needed today from actors??

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Mar 2020

PLEASE help! I'm stumped on what to do.

I'm a 16-year-old female and...you guessed it, I want to be an actor. I've read multiple websites and many threads on Reddit, but I'm still not sure how to get started. My ultimate goal is to act in well-made films and I'm not interested in acting just to get famous/rich. I will go to college next fall and major in som…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2020

preparing / material?

what do you guys think are the essential steps when it comes to actors working with the material they have been given? once u get the audition scenes or a full script .. what are all the things you guys do to prepare? (aside from rehearsing and learning lines)

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2020

Anyone else see their buds do this?

Hello, I know a great comedian who does great impressions who's a young dad. However, You can tell he could be a really great dramatic actor. However, he doesn't want to do drama at all. I know the right thing is to let him figure it out. I also know I'm so focused on him bc I can't get my stuff going. What should i do…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2020

What's Next?

Hi all, I have been lurking this subreddit for a few months, trying to soak in knowledge and experiences. Anyway, I took my first acting (for film) class in London this spring. Due to the coronavirus circumstances, it ended a little bit early, but regardless it was an amazing experience and my first time doing any sort…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2020

Pursuing a career in the acting/voice acting industry versus "safer" careers

Hey all! Like many before me i've gotten to the point in my life where i'd like to fully pursue a career or at the very least begin a level of education in pursuit of said career. I've spent my life of 19 years so far enveloped in two passions, creative work such as music, graphic design, and of course acting. And hist…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Mar 2020

Has anyone re-enacted horribly acted movie scenes but with good acting?

I've been googling for this for a while and all I'm finding is various "worst acting" lists. I've always wondered if better actors could salvage some of the poorly acted scenes in movies. How much is it the writing and how much is it the actors? Anyways the one that always comes to mind for me is the [scene](https://ww…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2020

I keep blinking when I’m on camera

Is this a normal issue? And if you’ve dealt with it, how so? It’s frustrating cause it feels like no matter how much I improve as an actor, I keep blinking and it’s extremely distracting. Or at least when I watch myself, I feel like it detracts from my performance.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2020

hey guys

does anyone else notice that actors arent really looking at eachother when theyre acting??its like theyre looking at the shoulders of who ever they are talking to..im guessing they might me reading the script....but it doesnt seem like anyone online ever talks about it...anyone else realizes actors dont look at eachoth…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2020

Hobby to Voice Acting: Who started this way?

Hello! I just wanna know voice actors who began with voice acting for fun (as a hobby) but ended up by getting a job and working professionally with voice acting as a career.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2020

Most important accents?

What would you say are the most important accents to learn and master as an actor?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Mar 2020

what makes a great actor?

hi guys im bored and pondering what makes a great actor as there are so many good ones from all different backgrounds with varying approaches to their work im wondering what everyone thinks makes a 'great actor' i know everyone has a different opinion of what that means but im curious what you gravitate toward when it…