Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Apr 2020

Please give me review my work

https://youtu.be/5OsjOvo-a-8 Ive just gotten into VCing and this is my third protect i know my sound isn't good but please help a noob voice actor

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2020

Accomplished Narrator Looking For Heavy Scrutinization

**Hey Voice Over Folks!** I am back at it again, looking for your advice. Last time everyone was super helpful in showing me what i might be doing wrong. Almost all comments were helpful and productive to my overall improvement as a voice actor and audiobook narrator. At the time of writing this i have produced 34 audi…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2020

To all actors in the Philippines

How did you start getting into the show business industry? What steps did you take? What workshops did you take? Tell me everything, share your story from one aspiring Filipino actor to another.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2020

Hiring voice actors

Hi everyone, Hoping this is the right community for this but at the moment I am looking for some voices for a comic dub. The voices I am looking for are the following: 1. Female protagonists (child) 2. Motherly voice 3. Nice seductive demon voice 4. Old man voice, narrator There will be more voices as the comic progres…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2020

Recommend any online acting classes?

I don’t care if they cost anything. I feel like I should do something while in quarantine. I’m 19 and have taken actors studio and theatre classes in high school. So, I decided to try acting in movies and tv shows, so now I’m trying to get an agent. Does anyone recommend any acting classes online since I’m stuck inside…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2020

IMPRESSION CONTEST - Cash prize for BEST Marge Simpson impression!

​ https://preview.redd.it/3mnc6m3ch2r41.png?width=2400&format=png&auto=webp&s=447041b949d9f5707c87a0abfd0d6d2504228c8c Fellow voice actors! I'm hosting a series of voice impression contests this month, each with a 50 dollar prize! Is your voice good enough to win?? This week's impression is... MARGE SIMPSON! Imp…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2020

Anxiety self-taping and camera anxiety

Hey I’m wondering if anyone else experienced this, but I’m realizing that I get really bad anxiety whenever I attempt to self tape. Like I start over-analyzing each minor action, gesture, pitch change, pronunciation.... it just drives me insane. This doesn’t happen whenever I’m performing. In fact I feel most confident…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2020

Questions about the difference between SAG and SAMP.

Hi everyone! I had a limited experience with theatre acting when I was a teenager but I had some friends who took acting far more seriously, did commercials and tv shows, had agents, joined ACTRA (Canadian actors union), and so on. I got in to a discussion today about credits and crediting practises which lead to the q…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2020

Scripts for two actors!

For some reason I’m unable to find any good scripts to practice while at home. Does anyone have any recommendations or links to any good ones. It can be a male, male or male, female scripts

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2020

How to work in France as an English speaking actor ?

Hi I'm an international student in France and I'm about to graduate from a film school where all the methods are taught in English, but i'm not sure if there are jobs for someone like me who can only perform in English. also if i don't find a job , i have to leave France. on the other hand i really want to build a stro…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2020

Aspiring background actor

Hey everyone, I've just moved to London and I'm looking to get into background acting/Being an extra, I do not have much experience besides filming a few long lost documentaries à few years back and being in a few just yammering about a music scene for a few minutes, Anyways does anyone have a few pointers of where to…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2020

Anyone know how to go all out when performing alone?

Recently, I started working on a short film to pass the time during quarantine. However, I'm the only actor in it. Usually, I am a better actor when I can play off of people. Any ideas of how to express myself without anyone there?

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2020

Do actors emulate or actually experience anxiety for anxious roles?

Whenever I see actors (Martin Freeman and Cate Blanchett come to mind) doing anxious roles/scenes, I can't help but notice how, even though they do a really good job at seeming anxious, they also seem maintain impeccable bodily/facial coordination. I mean, they have to, or else the scene wouldn't work, right? I'm not a…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2020

Most helpful casting directors to follow on Instagram?

Looking for casting directors that give out helpful tips to actors on their Instagram for example @ccrcasting has Q&A’s on her stories and they very helpful. Or any that you would suggest that are a good follow. I enjoy seeing their content. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2020

A Question Of Rudiments

Time for a question. I was watching the film Black Swan the other day, and there a few scenes of the main character setting up and practicing rudiments in front of a mirror in her own dance studio at home. I then re-watched Whiplash, which has similar scenes of the main character going over and over and over his rudime…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2020

agents

hello everyone! my name is Araika, i am from Kazakhstan. I am just curious about 'getting an agent' topic as an Actor. Perhaps I will need this information for the future. Does anyone here experienced such a thing which I've mentioned above? Is Agent in Acting industry is as the same as for example Manager in Music one…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2020

The new Voice123 subscriptions packages

Hi everyone, My name's Anna, just joined the site. I was wondering if anyone knew how the new Voice123 packages work? My premium subscription recently ran out and I'm unsure which one to subscribe to... I did try emailing the Voice123 helpdesk twice but didn't get a response before my subscription ran out (they're usua…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2020

I need some direction on how to do a psychopathic stare

Due to school being cancelled due to the coronavirus, my high school actor's studio class has assigned groups to produce a digital mini movie to star in. I am playing the villain. This is my first acting class, so I'm extremely new to this. I want to get some input on my stare, as I want this to be a focal point of the…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Apr 2

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2020

Drama Inc. Online

​ https://reddit.com/link/ftmkl6/video/rwy8mv5sreq41/player I produced/directed this series of online acting courses with some colleagues of mine, and I’m very curious about to hear thoughts from the general acting community about the value of them. Unlike traditional ongoing acting classes that focus on things…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2020

General advice for self help.

I'm trying to manipulate my emotions or feelings or energy in subtle ways. I wanna be more relaxed. Anyone else do this? Not really a actor but I want to be less shy more relaxed. Happier.

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2020

Fine tuning my samples and skills

While bored in quarantine, I made myself a website for promoting my VO acting. Wondering if anyone would be willing to check it out and give feedback? Thanks in advance, would love to hear from fellow actors!

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2020

Just starting out - Looking for advice and feedback :)

Hi guys, I'm Chris :) I've been trying to get myself a little home studio set up over the past few weeks, and I wondered if I could quick fire a few questions to the people who seem to know a damn sight more about this industry than I do! Firstly, I finally got my 'studio' (Those are incredibly important apostrophes) s…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2020

Starting off

Hi I am an 18 year old aspiring actor just starting off I plan to take acting lessons to help boost my acting. I’m on backstage and a Still need a professional headshot, but my question is what do I put on a demo reel if I’ve never had an acting gig? I consider myself to be a decent actor, but am unsure how to start of…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2020

Starting off

Hi I am an 18 year old aspiring actor just starting off I plan to take acting lessons to help boost my acting. I’m on backstage and a Still need a professional headshot, but my question is what do I put on a demo reel if I’ve never had an acting gig? I consider myself to be a decent actor, but am unsure how to start of…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2020

Any advice for nerves at big auditions?

I get a good amount of auditions monthly with my agency, but i am having trouble booking things. I got a call back once last year, for the lead for this big show, and i went all the way until it was between me and this other actor. they went with her because she had more on her resume,but recently my audition skills i…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2020

I'm looking for advice

Hi. I know I'm young and it may sound silly, but I really would love to be an actress. I have played many lead rolls in my school shows, but haven't done anything outside of it. Many acting opportunities around me involve musicals and I am not extremely fond of dancing and sometimes singing, so I normally opt out of do…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2020

COVID-19: Can I apply for unemployment?/CARES Act

So we are all actors, and for some of us this is a portion of our income, though I know it varies. For context, I live in NY. Nothing is shooting. Nothing. No theaters as well. Do I qualify for unemployment or the expanded unemployment? I know the unions are pushing for something I’m not sure how that’s related. Hoping…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2020

[Request] TF2 Engineer Voice Actor

Hello everyone, i am looking for someone who sounds like the 'Engineer' from the video game Team Fortress 2. I only need a single, short sentence. Here are some examples of the character: [Meet the Engineer](https://youtu.be/SNgNBsCI4EA) [Engineer Quotes](https://youtu.be/gCLpO-uNtPs) His voice actors were Grant Goodev…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2020

Feedback on acting in a 1 minute short

Hey there! So I made a short film last month, and I was hoping on getting some feedback, particularly with regards to the acting, and my directing of said acting. We (me and the two actors) are all rooted in Meisner training, though Féadha had quite a bit of other experience before coming to Meisner work. How do y'all…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2020

I don't know if I'll be able to do this as a career. I have too many blocks. [rant]

Emotionally I would say I'm pretty open, especially when reacting off of other characters, but in terms of imagination and physical I'm pretty limited. I'm aware that my voice is sometimes monotone, and comes across as sad and I constantly get that critique. It sucks that I actually have depression itself and even when…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

Public transport

I’m not too sure about the situation in NY (I’m sure it’s similar) but in LA I’ve read that it’s extremely hard to find parking and that’s one of the biggest issues actors face on a day to day basis when going to auditions and such. My question is, why don’t actors just catch public transport? Is it a cost issue? Since…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

“Fan” Conventions?

As an actor, I’ve always wondered if it was unprofessional to attend a fan convention for something you love. Has anyone ever gone to one? Should I avoid going, or would it be ok?

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

Have impressions/accents ever taken over your life? How did you get out of the trance?

So I'm not really a professional voice actor. Not yet at least. For most of my life, I have found doing impressions and creating voices to be extremely funny when used well, and super fun to use/listen to period. After all, you can make a character say something you wish they would, right? While I still hold that posit…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

Does Denver have a good VOA industry?

So I live in SoCal and was considering eventually to pursue a career in VO in LA, but with LA being the insanely expensive city that it is I’m not in a financial situation where I can live down there. I have family in Denver and was considering moving there to become more financially stable, however I’ve noticed that a…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

Has anyone ever told you that you're bad at acting?

I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience and how they have handled it. A while back someone who I went to acting school with told me that I wasn't a good actor. I believed that this person cared about me, but that was one of the last things I ever heard from them. It was really hard to hear at the time becaus…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

I feel like I've become disillusioned with acting

First off, sorry if this isn't welcome here, I just kind of wanted to get it out and off my chest. Also sorry if it comes off as silly or pretentious, I know I'm young and inexperienced, I'd just like to get other opinions. Second, I don't know if disillusioned is necessarily the right word. TLDR: for the past four or…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

Tilda Swinton is better than Meryl Streep

Oh, I do love Meryl Streep, she is an amazing actress, but after glossing over their resumes, Tilda has had a much more impressive and distinguished career. Her filmography, her work in the theater, etc... Tilda Swinton is to Meryl Streep what Hugh Jackman is to Brad Pitt

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

Is 16 too old to start taking acting lesson to become an actor?

When I told my friends I want to start taking lessons and become an actor, they said it was too late and that I should've started at 4 or at least as a kid, and that the era where actors who became famous when they were older ended. Should I then give up and not even try to take lessons? Am I really too "old" for this…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

I'm doing my master's analytics project on actors

Hey, My name is Zach and I'm a Washington, DC based former stage actor who transitioned into data analytics work. I'm in a master's program right now studying analytics and I built a survey that I'm hoping will get enough responses so that I can use it in an official program at my school, UVA. If you self identify as a…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2020

New Horror Podcast looking for Narrators!

Hello everyone! I recently posted the first episode of my podcast and am looking for voice actors with decent equipment to help! Unfortunately I don't have money to pay anyone at the moment as this is a new project but if you're still interested feel free to contact me through email at boundinimagerypod@gmail.com. I'll…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2020

I wanna have a la la land journey

Hey I'm a 16 turning 17 in May and I wanna have a la la land journey where I go to L.A. and hustle my ass off to become an actor I've never went to an acting class in my whole life, but I'm good I can't act I promise i do little plays at home, and I even know how to cry on cue now, I just need advices I really want to…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2020

My First Attempt

Hi all, I'm an audiobook enthusiast & voice acting amateur. I've never taken lessons in any capacity. Currently, I'm exploring the possibility of recording a hobby to see where it leads me. Of course I'd love to quit my teaching job and record audiobooks but haha let's see how far this path can take me first. If it's n…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2020

Those of you who had problems with envy when someone succeeds, how did you stop that?

So, envy is a really toxic trait of mine that I really don't want but it keeps popping up whenever someone I know has a big success in their acting or directing career. I don't act upon that envy, of course, and always congratulate these people because deep down, I really am happy for them. But this stupid, stupid emot…