Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

How important is studying theatre to working in film?

Hi everyone! I am currently a student in the Cinema Studies at the University of Toronto. Here, it is strictly an academic program, and looks into the theories of film, the art of film, and the history of film etc. I’m currently debating whether I should also enrol in the Drama program here at UofT. It’s mainly a progr…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

Do I have to movie to LA?

I want to persue a career in acting. Honestly I'm sure everyone wants to make it big. I do too. I just do. Although I'm not looking for fame. I really appreciate the art of filmmaking and being able to bring the best version of a character to life for the writer and director of a film that they worked on feels really f…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

I have spent hundreds of hours as a supporting actor on a Spielberg set. AMA.

I prefer to maintain a level of privacy on this account, so won't be disclosing any specific details that reveal which production I worked on or my identity. Keep the questions general and about the business, and I will happily answer. Thanks for understanding. At some point in the last decade I worked intimately with…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

Is there a thread for promoting an actor?

Is there a thread for promoting actors like how r/promoteyourpatreon is meant for that purpose? I have a friend who will be graduating with a theater degree this winter and I'd like to promote her as best as I can. I read the FAQ page and didn't see such a thread referenced. Any general advice is welcome as well! ❤️ Sh…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

Reality TV question

Say if during my career I am presented with the opportunity to go on a reality tv show or a game show should i take it? I have often heard that it will make people take you less seriously and you will not be seen as a legit actor.

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

How do I make the most out of college? (Serious)

Hey everybody I was recently accepted into suny new paltz where I will be majoring in theatre. I really like their curriculum and I never thought I’d make it this far so I’m pretty excited. I want to be an actor more than anything and I can really see myself thriving there. I’m just looking for advice on how to juice t…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

My recording day routine, feel free to add to it.

Mine is to avoid caffeine 2-3 hours before I need to use my voice. Not only is it a dehydrator, it will exacerbate many common problems such as talking to fast, having a strained sound by pinching the back of your throat too much, etc. I drink lots of water. I usually end up around 2 liters a day anyway but it goes wit…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

I think I’m going to quit acting

I’m 20 years old. I don’t mean to come off as arrogant but like thousands of actors, I was born with natural instincts to acting. At the acting school I went to, (which taught Meisner, movement psychology, Shakespeare and traditional acting) I understood the material faster than my classmates in most classes. Every sce…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

Losing motivation- Thoughts?

Hello fellow actors, I’m a 20 year old actress living in New York City. I have been taking acting seriously for 5 years now, predominately taking classes and performing with The Barrow Group. I’ve done my fair share of commercials and short films, nothing that really pays the bills. Beginning about 6 months ago, I bega…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

i raise my Eyebrows unevenly when emoting? Do any celebs actors do this?

I am not sure what to do. Naturally when I emote in real life. One eyebrow often raises more than the other. So it looks asymmetrical. This is not a minor insecurity, this is actually something friends who I act and film with point out. It doesn't feel unnatural, though I haven't noticed any actors that I watch doing i…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

Why do so many professional actors keep going to acting workshops?

There’s so many professional actors who have done some well distributed films, participated in plenty of plays, and have done commercials, etc... Yet they still go to their workshop or work with their acting coach. I find this quite interesting because in no other artistic profession of the sort do you have people doin…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

looking for reliable actors in NYC to help with self tapes

i'm starting to get more on a regular basis and i want to meet other actors to help read for each other. my roommates / most of my actor friends are incredibly flakey about their own acting let alone making themselves available / enthusiastic to help their friend out. i have 1 today and i can't find a reader (quarantin…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

Why do professional actors still go to workshops ??

There’s so many professional actors who have done some well distributed films, participated in plenty of plays, and have done commercials, etc... Yet they still go to their workshop or work with their acting coach. I find this quite interesting because in no other artistic profession of the sort do you have people doin…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

I don't know if I want to be an actor

I'm going to be 20 this year and would be done with University next year so shit is getting real for me. I've been thinking about what I want to do with my life, I've thought about my past and what i have passion for or my hobbies and for me it's watching films. And to be honest I think the passion has died a little. B…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

What’s next?

Hello fellow actors, I have a Headshot, Demo Reel and Resume. Can anyone offer some advice on what the next step should be? How do I self submit? How do I find representation? How do I meet CD’s? Any websites/links? I feel like a lost puppy, please help! :) thanks in advance!

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

a start amidst covid-19?

hi guys! i’m currently a junior in high school and have recently figured out that i would like to be an actress. the problem is that i have absolutely no experience and i have no idea where to start. i have always loved movies and shows, and i had the epiphany that i would also love to be in them. right now i’m looking…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

Actor's schedule

What is in your opinion the best schedule for a working actor in quarantine?

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

Which book should I read first?

I have many acting books to choose from and am not sure on which I should read first. Technique-wise I lean more toward method acting but am open to anything . Here is my list: - An Actor Prepares - Stanislavski - Building a Character - Stanislavski - Creating a Role - Stanislavski - To the Actor: On the Technique of A…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2020

YouTube Video Ideas For Voice Actors?

Hi everyone! I’m an aspiring voice actor and I’ve been thinking of starting a YouTube channel. Besides impressions and comic dubs, what types of videos could I make? Any ideas are highly appreciated! Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2020

Do A listers have competition in their level of business? Is money hard to come by?

There are some actors who I absolutely love. Scarlett Johansson, Brad Pitt, Hugh Jackman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Natalie Portman, Nicole Kidman, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts, Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Christopher Plummer, etc... Yet they are also actors who would often do some mass market blockbuster or animation film. I r…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2020

Atlanta Actors

If you moved here from another state, do you find the move worth it? I came here instead of Los Angeles to build my resume. I'm seeing based on IMDB, a good amount of actors that are being hired, for even the smallest parts, are coming from Los Angeles. What gives?!

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2020

[HIRING][PAID] Send Me your Best Matt Champion Voice (Deep Male Young Adult)

Hello hello, I'm looking for a voice actor to narrate a story I wrote for my friend's birthday. She is a huge BROCKHAMPTON fan, and we actually went to their concert back in 2018 where she saw Matt Champion use his inhaler and thought that it was the most adorable thing in the world. She has been in love with him since…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2020

CASTING CALL: Seeking Actor-Singers for Online Musical Parody on COVID-19

Hey, are you overflowing with musical comedy talent but no stage upon which to perform it due to the national health crisis? Wanna stick it to the feckless Trump Administration with some edgy satire from the comfort of your own home? Well, then this quick, funny and fun project just might be for you! The other day I go…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2020

How does one know what type of roles to go for?

I haven't acted in maybe about 10 years. I was excited to get back into it til Ms. Rona showed up. But i figure i'd do some research in the meantime. How do I know what roles to go for? As a "new" actor, what would you suggest I do to figure out the type of roles I should be going for? Thanks for your help!

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Apr 9

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2020

A question for seasoned actors.

My question is, when I’m working on a play or a script for a film and I’ve found the characters objective and the actions he takes to get them, should I focus on what his mannerisms might be like? For example if I’m a sly pool player should I squint my eyes to make myself look sly? Or does that appear unnatural? Should…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2020

Way to grow followers/make some extra cash during Covid

Hey guys, I came across this opportunity on Craigslist and I signed up. It's a way to grow some followers and if you stick with it can make $ off influencing/guiding people to buy products through your link (like you've seen other influencers do).Well established company called Ignite. If you signup they'll invite you…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2020

Resources?

Anyone willing to shelter reliable resources to find work for an actor who is non-union and not represented? I’ve been trying to land an agent or manager with no luck. I’ve noticed that most listings on backstage that I could apply to (being non-union) are non-paying, and that makes me wonder about their legitimacy/qua…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2020

Self Tapes

Hi everyone! My question is geared toward Los Angles actors. Are most auditions self taped these days or are they calling in actors for auditions? \*In normal times, not under the current lockdown\* The market where I live its ALL self taped. I'm considering moving to L.A....that way I can audition for both markets at…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2020

Difference between great vs outstanding

I read an article on Emma stone just now saying she excels and it’s apparent that she does. I am just wondering, when does an actor cross from great —> outstanding?? What must an actor do to achieve this? I always hear “they must capture the characters life” or something along those lines... but, what does this MEAN? T…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2020

Do you think it's useful for an actor to know how to write novels?

I've been looking for screenwriting books and along the way, I've come across ones that teach you how to write novels. The ones I'm interested in are well-regarded but I don't really know if I'd be wasting my time with them. I'm trying to expand myself as an actor and become a better writer so I can better understand s…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2020

Negative Thoughts--I'm a bad actor

How do you stop thinking this? No matter how much training I've had, jobs I've done, I keep thinking I'm a bad actor.... I keep thinking.....my audition was bad.....my class scene work was bad......my representation will drop me.....wow I'm such a bad actor Do you have these same thoughts? How do you get over it?

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2020

Starting out in Voice Over acting world

Hey! So I'm an equity actor in NYC that is now unemployed scratching my head toward what to do. My voice is pretty versatile and I'm looking at my closet and thinking of building a makeshift voice over studio. What do I need to know to get started? How expensive should my first mic be? Can I use Garageband to make my v…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2020

Background Actors: How Did You Get Your Union Vouchers?

I'd love to know how you obtained your vouchers to qualify to join the union! (The weirder / more random the circumstances, the better!) Looking forward to hearing your stories. Thanks in advance!

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2020

[SEEKING MALE VOICE][PAID][NON COMMERCIAL] Send me your best Matt Champion Voice

Hello hello, I'm looking for a voice actor to narrate a story I wrote for my best friend's birthday. She is a huge BROCKHAMPTON fan, and we actually went to their concert back in 2018 where she saw Matt Champion use his inhaler and thought that it was the most adorable thing in the world. (Weird. I know. But everyone’s…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2020

Stella Adler Interview Questions

Hi all, Currently arranging my interview times and dates with Stella Adler Summer Conservatory. I was wondering if anyone also has interviewed there and has any tips or an idea of what they might ask. I am also a bit concerned that they don't require an audition of any sort for the summer program. Will I still be getti…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2020

I'm an actor in training and I want to do some voice actor work to keep working during quarantine, where can I find voice acting jobs even if they're for free?

I'm an 18y/o male from England and am currently finishing my first year of an acting degree. Due to quarantine I have a lot more free time on my hands and I want to carry on acting to try and improve and stay engaged. Are there any sites or advice I should take to find work online. I want to get familiar with the whole…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2020

Other forums/websites for actors?

Are there any other places like this subreddit where actors can have conversations, ask questions, give resources etc to each other? I love this subreddit and find it super useful but I’m just curious to see if there’s any other websites for actors I may have missed.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2020

How to anime dub

As a voice actor who loves anime but has no experience with dubbing, how do you guys practice?

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Apr 2020

Monologues for 18-25 year old man.

I have been trying to look for monologues from film/TV where I can play someone around my age, 18-25, maybe even up to 30. Most famous monologues from movies are older actors, so its kinda hard. I found a few like in Beautiful Boy, Miss Stevens, etc. Would appreciate any tips. Could even be a dialogue but have strong o…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Apr 2020

Nice Gestures for Voice Actor Partner?

Hi everyone, My boyfriend has recently just gotten his full-time voice over gig (yay!) and I’ve been thinking about what other nice gestures I could do for him. At the moment I make him a honey lemon ginger tea every morning. Do you have any tips or recommendations to share? Even it’s small as having a type of throat l…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Apr 2020

Voicebunny accent confusion: help?

Hello fellow voice actors! So I just applied to voicebunny. I am aware how difficult it is to be accepted however I was rejected for just one reason. Your recording does not reflect the accent the client requested. This is bizarre. It was written in the project info that it would be 100 words, young female, and in Engl…