Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2020

How do voice actors change their voices so much?

I've seen a few videos on voice actors "changing their voices" but they dont explain how. It comes off as an inherent anomaly they were born capable of producing. I think a speech pathologist would be the best person to explain specifically how these voice actors are able to change their voices so much. Are these succe…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Apr 16

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2020

I’m too scared to start

I am a 17yr old male and I’ve have always loved the idea of acting and always wanted to try it and pursue it as a career. I live in rural/suburban Minnesota so obviously the opportunities are scarce but that’s not the problem. I have never had anyone support me in wanting to be an actor, my family thinks it’s nonsense…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2020

18 years old dreamer

Hi guys i'm 18 years old guy from algeria I want to become a successful actor like robert dinero and leo please i can do audition or acting school in my country I need to find a way to do online audition or a way to contact movie producer to help me please

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2020

Interview tips?

Hello everyone. I have an assignment for class that involves interviewing someone. I am interviewing a friend who has background in theater acting. I know this is a very vague question, but does anyone have any tips for interviewing actors? The interview is just audio based, so my main goal is to really capture their i…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2020

looking for an agency as a teen actor

hello all, I'm looking for acting agencies in Colorado, and I've heard of a few pretty popular ones (John Casablancas Modeling and Acting, to name an example). Any suggestions as to how to find an agency?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2020

Just needed to rant

So in about a year I have to record a play with myself and a friend in it. As of now it only involves the two of us, and it's not a professional gig. I am working to be an actor, while my friend has no interest at all in acting. The reason we're doing this is because we recorded ourselves in a play for a drama class pr…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2020

Having success with Voices.com?

For about two years now I've been practicing my VO skills through Gravy for the Brain and feel that I'm at a point now where I'm hireable, so I got a subscription to [voices.com](https://voices.com). With the whole Coronavirus situation, I figured that this would be a perfect time to start establishing myself as I'm ou…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2020

How do I get started on becoming a voice actor?

My favourite show, Steven Universe recently came to an end, and I realised soon after finishing it that I want to become a voice actor. I hope that one day I can work on something as impactful and inspirational as SU. Right now I know practically nothing about the voice over world. What can I do to get started?

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2020

Bryan Cranston's Advice to Aspiring Actors

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1WiCGq-PcY](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1WiCGq-PcY) ​ Great video, one of the best pieces of advice I've heard.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2020

I’m I too late to become an actor?

I know I’m probably not,but I just want some confirmation I’m 15 I turn 16 in a few days.i thought about acting but wasn’t really that sure I would imagine a character and play that character (example miles morales I would act like I got the part of playing him in a movie and just start acting like I was him for an hou…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2020

Nartive English but Not American

Hello everybody, I've read through a lot of post here regarding the topic of not being a US cirizen. However, I still dont get how non US actors are allowed to audition for us casting calls. For example, if an O1 visa is not really trusted among casting agents, how does one aquire authorization to audition in the US. A…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Apr 2020

Eggman- The Voice Cast (Episode 13)

Have you ever had debates with your friends about which voice actor is the best for your favorite animated characters? Well, The Voice Cast exists for just that reason. Every week, two best friends discuss the voice actors for an animated character, and decide which performances are the Best, Worst, and Weirdest. Watch…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Apr 2020

Equity UK payments

Any UK based actors heard anything about this? Spotlight have given us the opportunity to freeze our membership payments for 3 months due to the pandemic, but Equity seem to be just carrying on taking our payments. I checked the site but no announcement. Are they exempt from this kind of thing by virtue of being a unio…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Apr 2020

Lack of communication with agent - should I leave?

Hey there. I have posted last week about an audition tape that had contradicting information in the sides. I am not gonna summarize the sides since this was not a subjective interpretation but rather a direct contradiction that occurred multiple times in the script itself. I left an email on thursday afternoon, then a…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Apr 2020

[Paid Request] Readers and Characters needed for Horror Fiction Podcast/Audio Drama

Hey, everyone! Leslie Rice, creator and host of The Signal: A Horror Fiction Podcast here. After a year-long hiatus due to some personal issues, we’re back! And that means we’re looking for talented voice actors, male and female, to fill several roles, both ongoing and incidental. Due to the format of our show, there a…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Apr 2020

ANY TIPS FOR LA?

Hi guys. I’m a male actor based in Melbourne Australia. I’m looking to visit LA for two weeks sometime soon (August but because of corona they may reschedule) for a one week intensive acting course. I opted for an extra week for travelling around and networking. 1. I’m interested in good places to accomodation? 2. Anyo…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Apr 2020

Best way to practice as a newbie?

Hey r/acting ! Hope you're all good and not going too crazy with the quarantine. I'm a Belgian/British high school student currently in my last year (which is currently on a hiatus ofc) and I only very recently decided I wanted to try acting as a career. I'm a huge lover of movies, and have become increasingly interest…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Apr 2020

Worth it to pay for Backstage?

Does anyone have experience using Backstage as a paid casting search site? Is it worth it for voice actors? I'm on the fence if I want to give them a payment for the entire year. Might try the monthly first just to see.

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Apr 2020

No acting Acting classes in my city

So I live in a very small city that has 2 theaters but no classes any where in the city, and there's is no way i could possibly get my parents to even consider moving to LA. I'm a teenager and i really want to become an actor but the place i live is really the only thing holding me back. I'm very social and don't have…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2020

What are the people in the industry actually like? From an outsider looking in.

I've been watching this guy on Youtube named "ProducerMichael", in one of his videos he shows a clip of people coming in and out of a room for what I could only assume to be auditions. Now all industries have different type of people, I understand that this could be summed up as "They're just normal people", but what i…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2020

Hiring voice actors

Voice Actor Request: Hello all, we are looking for a voice actor who can do a voice that replicates that of a narrator. In addition to this, we are also looking for voices that to be used in our webcomic dubbed audio. We are searching for the following characters below: A young feminine voice (16-18 years of age) Mothe…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2020

Looking for acting friends and tips (Australia based)

Hi all. I'm looking for acting friends to just overall hype each other up and help each other out. I'm a 23 year old female. I'm also incredibly shy and insecure and constantly question myself because I think how can I be an actor when I can't even go to workshops because of my anxiety? RUNDOWN OF WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2020

Hello! An acting related question. What is the name of this effect/phenomenon where an audience reads into the emotions of an actor even though the actor has a very neutral expression on his face.

I remember reading some interview where some actor said that in a closeup shot (that was really famous) he really wasn't thinking of anything. But rather the circumstances of the scene caused the audience to automatically 'understand' the emotions of the actor. But I think there is a name for this psychological effect.…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2020

Meeting my favorite actor

Hi so I will probably get to meet my favorite actor from a very popular television show. I was wondering how everyone deals with being starstruck and also what acting questions you guys think I should ask. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2020

Is there any actor based in india here?

I'm an 18 year old guy with a massive interest in films and acting, i haven't done anything formally or professionally but i wanna learn the craft, i plan on doing college in Mumbai, so is there any advice anyone can offer here on how to begin, what places to look for and how to learn better? thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2020

Is there any actor here based in india?

I'm an 18 year old guy with a massive interest in films and acting, i haven't done anything formally or professionally but i wanna learn the craft, i plan on doing college in Mumbai, so is there any advice anyone can offer here on how to begin, what places to look for and how to learn better? thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2020

Demo Reel Lockdown Motivation from ActorPlaybook

**Guest Blog Post by** Ian Lyons Hi all, with this unforeseen downtime we’re having, along with appreciating our health and our loved ones, it’s a fine time to get our promotional materials prepped for when things start to pick up again. **As I’m a fellow actor and demo reel editor, I thought a few pointers about reels…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

Need advice - I'm inexperienced but trying to seriously pursue theatre / film

Hi! I am currently a 19 year old sophomore in college majoring in business administration and I am on track to graduate a year early in May 2021. (This thread is a bit long I'm sorry :-( ) I know I'm a business student but for as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to become an actress - unfortunately, because o…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

where should i go to college (if at all)?

hi! i’m looking for advice on where i should go for college if i want to be an actress? i’ve heard yale and nyu are great, but i feel like i should go somewhere near LA. i also don’t know what i should major in, or if i should even go to college when i could just focus on acting with a full time job, such as waitressin…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

What's the BEST "Pay to Win" Voice Over/Acting Website?

Hi everyone! Long time aspiring voice actor, first time poster here. I've been dabbling into the realm of online voice acting services such as UpWork, forums, and other "free" websites. Despite these services being "free" I always run into an issue down the line where I end up reaching a threshold, or needing to pay to…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

As a voice actor, what form of direction do you prefer?

I've been thinking about this for a bit and I'm curious. What form of direction do voice actors prefer? Live direction where you get feedback as you're recording lines, doing lines a few times to ensure they sound alright, or perhaps writing how a line should sound on the script? Or something else?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

Does anyone know Steven Silver or Hina Abdullah?

I'm getting close to concluding my [3-year pilot season study](https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/fmdaj4/young_adult_pilot_bookings_2020/) and these are the only two actors for whom I still haven't been able to find sufficient information about their educational and training backgrounds to classify. This is the S…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

ActorsTrade app.

I just wanted to share this app because it is super helpful for me to rehearse my scenes during the lockdown. In this app, you can rehearse and read for other people. It is the only free live-rehearsal app for actors. Use the referral code if you want to sign up and try it out for free minutes. Use this referral code:…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

Beginning of a career

Hey guys. I just joined this subreddit and I'd like to ask a few questions. I am a 15 year old boy from a small European country of Slovakia. Ever since I was a small kid I wanted to become an actor. I attended an acting class for a year and acted in a few small theatre plays for schools in my town. But nothing special…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

Actors/ brand ambassadors wanted for IGNITE!

Ignite Social is looking for Brand Ambassador's, Actors, Models, Photographers, Djs, Promoters etc...No exp. necessary! Great pay. Follow this link for more info! --> https://smo.ai/pba7if

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

I just don't have the confidence. I feel so disheartened.

To preface: I don't want to get into acting for stardom. I don't want to become a commercial actor, or anything to that degree. I merely want to hone skills pertaining to acting to benefit myself emotionally. I'll refrain from going in-depth but as a child I wasn't permitted to feel, and so I feel acting could help not…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2020

Soundproofing suggestions

I want to practice both my voice acting and singing but cant without disturbing anyone else in the house or my neighbours. Any ideas for low budget, non-professional voice actor soundproofing?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

A Voice Acting Stream (Amateur Actors)

We're reading the accursed script for practice. Come join and enjoy! [https://youtu.be/fdiYhgxlI30](https://youtu.be/fdiYhgxlI30)

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

Does anyone else lie about their age?

I’m 21. Yet I could pass for 16. This has messed up my opportunities for years. I can’t get cast as 21 because I look “too young” I can’t get cast as a teen because I’m “technically too old” So I said f*ck it, my age is 18. Bad idea? Good idea? Has it worked out for you? I know other actors that made it lied about it f…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

I have got a lead role in a Netflix series coming out in February

This is going to be quite long. Probably about a 5-10 minute read. But I promise you what I write on here is 100% true. No one will know me from my username I have nothing to gain with lying, it is all 100% true. On my mothers life. This explains how my acting career went from playing Aladdin in my primary school play…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2020

My unique relationship with acting

I come from a family where acting is a revered form of art. In my family acting is like...this sacred valued way of being. My grandfather was a professional actor. He won a tony award. He became famous from his acting. Growing up i was the absolute black sheep of my family in part because my parent had schizophrenia. B…