Acting forums, all in one place

19,662 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2020

What movie inspired you to become an actor/want to become an actor?

I'm a Swiss born asian male living in Melbourne Australia, and I've been a movie fan since I can remember, I have always loved watching movies and doing research of how an actor prepares for a role and the behind scenes. It has always been at the back of my mind to try and get into acting but it never really went any f…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2020

Actors Access Question

Can a Canadian actor submit themselves to submissions/breakdowns that are posted under US (e.g. Los Angeles, New York, etc.) Do you pretty much have free reign to submit for any projects that are posted on the site?

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2020

How much do I pay Voice Actors?

A little background. I have a small youtube channel (3k subs) and am currently working on some animated shorts. I plan to post the shorts in my channel (monetized), twitter, tumblr, instagram and facebook. I am in the process of hiring voice actors for these shorts but for now, my budget is quite limited, but I still w…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2020

Giving up on acting

Anyone else feel like giving up on this? I’ve been at this for years and have booked jobs but not at all consistently or enough to live on. At the same time I see other actors that started after me being much more successful. I’ve invested so much time, money and energy into this but I don’t feel like I’m getting anyth…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2020

Drama school for screen acting

Hi guys, this is my first post on reddit so I’m sorry if I’ve done anything wrong. I’ve dreamed of being an actor my whole life and cannot remember a time where it hadn’t been my life’s plan. I am about to complete my drama A-level next year and I also do youth theatre at my local theatre. I am planning to apply to RAD…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2020

If anyone needs a voice actor hmu

I did a few voice acting lines for some people a while back but I never did anything professional, I'm cheap, I can do voice impressions of cartoon characters pretty well my best include Rick Sanchez, Peter Griffin, and Kermit the frog. If you don't want voice impressions I can also bend my voice to low and high.

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2020

How do I teach someone who doesn’t know how to act to act.

I’m making a film soon with friends and I don’t have the benefit of hiring actors and I have to rely on them. The roles are already similar to they personalities so it’ll be easier to slip into a persona. Other than that, do you actors have any advice on how to handle them and try to a get an at least competent perform…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2020

Getting started during a pandemic

Hi all! I'm an actor with an extensive training background and I've always been interested in voiceover. I was just preparing to put together a new demo before the pandemic hit. I know building a homebrew demo is generally frowned upon, but under the circumstances I'm not sure I have any other choice if I want to start…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2020

Becoming a superhero actor

I know this sounds dumb and probably kinda childish, but i hope some of you also share this dream of one day playing in a superhero movie. Not because all of the money and fame, but more to inspire others like I got inspired of. Just to give something back, something that brings so much joy to some people. So now my qu…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2020

Becoming a superhero actor

I know this sounds dumb and probably kinda childish, but i hope some of you also share this dream of one day playing in a superhero movie. Not because all of the money and fame, but more to inspire others like I got inspired of. Just to give something back, something that brings so much joy to some people. So now my qu…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2020

Discovering whether I like acting

I've always been fascinated with how actors sort of become their characters. That is what I first fell in love with about films. So I wanted to be an actor. So far though I've never been on set(because I either didn't get the part or if I did I couldn't go due to far location) or gone to acting classes(hardly any in my…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2020

Trained actor looking to start voice acting remotely

Hello! I am an actor in the twin cities area, and I am moving to Chicago by the end of the year. I have a BFA in acting and was always told by my professors that I should do voice acting. It’s something that I really love and would love to get real work in, but I feel like we didn’t talk about it much in class, we had…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2020

best platform to upload Demo Reels?

I was going to upload my Demo Reel to Actors Access even though I rarely use it, but it costs $150 because of how long they are. Someone told me don't upload to YouTube, instead chose Vimeo. Is that true? I'd love advice, thank you.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2020

Practicing Catholics in the arts exist!!

Hi everyone! I want to get the word out so more practicing Catholics can feel less alone! Find us on facebook-- "Catholic Performing Artists". Group mission: We exist! This private group is to foster healthy conversation and debate, and generate moral support amongst practicing Catholics who uphold the moral teachings…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2020

AMA with IFP Gotham Award-winning Indie Producer Today!

Hey, everyone. I'm an independent film producer and today, Saturday, April 25th, I'll be doing an AMA. Here's a bit of background: As a kid, I was interested in becoming an actor. I took classes and ended up doing some voiceover work but soon realized I wanted to be more of a behind the scenes type. I wanted to realize…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2020

AMA with IFP Gotham Award-winning Independent Film and Television Producer

Hey, everyone. I'm an independent film producer and this is my AMA. First, I just want to note that I have opted to remain anonymous for a variety of reasons, not least of which is so that I don’t end up receiving tons of emails with headshots from people asking me to look at reels - I always use a casting director so…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2020

At 26, I've decided to pursue the acting career I've dreamed of so badly. I have an audition for a reputable acting school, but I haven't played a character since I was 16. What should I be doing right now in quarantine to set myself up for success?

Hi folks! I won't bore you with the full life story. I did 5 years of youth drama school as a teenager. Acting was all I ever wanted to do as a kid, and I used to obsessively read acting websites like industry websites as a teenager thinking about the career I wanted to have. I had this whole plan in my head for how I…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2020

Hiring actress/actor north of Boston

Basic iPhone video in a retail store to show a product. Script. Paid. Youtube video. You tell me what your time is worth per hour. Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2020

Is there any way to find a radio ad online? I want to find my first one!

I recently booked my first VO gig early this month (April 2020). A :30 radio spot for a pizza place to be run in the Michigan area. I’d really love to hear the final product but seeing as this is my first job, I have no idea how I can. I doubt it’s customary for the client to send the actor the finished ad, so I was ho…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2020

Voice acting in Vietnam, as a Vietnamese

Hello. This is my first post on this subreddit. I am a Vietnamese, and I want to be a voice actor for anime characters. Sorry for my bad English. I am currently studying in upper secondary education, and I wish to follow a voice acting career. I may need some tips to get started. What do I need to prepare? Should I tak…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2020

Did Matthew McConaughey read his own reviews to become a better actor?

So, I'm an actor and filmmaker and a director friend of mine told me some years ago that Matthew Mcconaughey, after being almost completely typecast in romantic comedies, read reviews of his own performances alongside his agent and worked on everything the reviews picked out as flaws. He became a much better actor in t…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2020

Recently made my first demo, would love your thoughts and feedback!

Hi voice actors! Rookie here, I have acting training and experience, but voice acting is new to me. Recently made my own demo reel, and would love your thoughts on it. My setup has since improved, I'm thinking of redoing it perhaps for better quality. Also I've heard that if your demo isn't professionally produced it's…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2020

What audition technique works for you?

I've been listening to the podcast Audrey Helps Actors for a while now and the most recent episode they were talking about audition techniques that work for their actor friends that book 5-10 times a year v. once a year v. once every few years. What has created palpable results for you? \-Wigs? (I've never tried wigs b…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2020

Hi guys, i need help figuring out pitch, vocal range/ notes.

Im a beginner ‘voice actor’. actually, i’ve been interested since i was 12 but am starting to take it more seriously. i have been researching and something i know i need to work on is my range, which is bad. I’ve been looking up how to increase range and one of the first things is identifying what my range is, the lowe…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2020

Question: How To Politely Rescind A Request?

I recently saw some memes from an artist-centric Facebook page about how clients 'ghost' creators as soon as they see the price of the work. I'm assuming this frustration is shared by voice actors as well. I've had occasions where I contact an artist/performer and ask for a price quote, just to see how much it would be…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2020

Any advice on geting your parents to le you act?

Idk if I can ask for advice on here, but I'll this post anyways. I want to become a professional theatre actor but my parents won't allow it out of concern that will be: A) Disappointed if I don't become successful B) Poor C) Become a drug addict and/or a Sex worker because I'm poor/I'm famous and corrupted I kinda see…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Apr 23

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2020

Guidance on pursuing an acting career

I am a young actor trying to one day make it big or at least become a professional actor. I predominantly do community theater and do about six shows a year. I plan on continuing community theater but does that help in anyway? I plan on going to collage and getting a degree in computer engineering as a backup to acting…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2020

I need some advice

So I’m wanting to be a voice actor and I’m just wondering if there is a school or a class and how much it usually costs so if you guys can tell me that’ll be awesome thank you

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2020

AMA with Independent Film Producer this Saturday!

Hey, everyone. I'm an independent film producer and this Saturday, April 25th, I'll be doing an AMA. Here's a bit of background: As a kid, I was interested in becoming an actor. I took classes and ended up doing some voiceover work but soon realized I wanted to be more of a behind the scenes type. I wanted to realize *…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2020

How much money do actors take home after paying manager, publicist, tax etc?

I am from the UK and one of my favourite tv series was "The Inbetweeners." I read that the actors weren't paid very well for the tv show itself, although no actual figures have been put out, the show itself had a shoestring budget. However, it was the movies where the money seem to be made. I read that the four actors…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2020

Awkward... But it's driving me a bit insane

Hello! So bit of an awkward topic. When I was younger, I partook in some online RP's of a kinky nature. Due to my idiocy, some people found out my name. I stopped everything immediately and never did it again. Now I don't judge people for what they do and I really think there's nothing wrong with it, but I am also want…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2020

Collective horror feature (quarantine-proff). Looking for actors around the globe

Hello. First of all, Im sorry if this is the wrong place to post this (and please, excuse my english) My name is Max and Im a **screenwriter/filmmaker** from Argentina. As many around the globe Ive been self-isolated at my place for quite some time now. At this time Im **working on a collaborative project** with some f…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2020

What have you heard about these agencies?

I got offers from: - Johnson Talent Agency - Avant Artists - ABA Talent Agency - Chic Models - Mademoiselle Talent Agency Anyone signed with them or know of them? I’m currently a non-union actor in Los Angeles that’s looking for an agency to find work for me to become SAG-E.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2020

Whats the best height for an actor?

I know that there are certain sought out height for acting and as a dude it will be much harder for u if ur on the shorter side. Im personally 5'11.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2020

Questions to ask an actor?

So our drama school is arranging a meeting with a relatively famous actor and they want us to come up with good questions to ask him. Could anyone give me a hand? I want something interesting and that could help us in our career :)

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2020

Is 31 too old to consider getting into acting?

I have, for a long time, thought about getting into acting. The thing is, I feel too old now. Most actors are already established and experienced in the industry by the age I am now. Am I wrong about this? Is it possible to get roles after 30 when starting out in this industry?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2020

What do you wish you knew about voice production and mechanics?

Hi all, I’m a professional voice coach specialising in developing the voices of speakers, presenters, and actors, and I’m also a VO artist. I’ve been receiving more enquiries lately from other VO artists who want specific voice coaching (not direction, but learning about their vocal anatomy and how to manipulate specif…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2020

Those who were full time actors before everything

Hello, I have a question for those who were full time workers before quarantine. Is there a certain set of things that need to happen to accumulate before you start booking? What did you do? Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2020

That one show

This is probably going to make me sound like an idiot, or a spoiled brat, but I would like some help. Lately, I've been watching Stranger Things on Netflix (I know, I'm *very* late to the party.) I am about the same age the kid actors were when they started, and I can't help wishing that I could be on the show with the…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2020

DIY idea from an outsider

Hey everybody. I'm just getting into VO and the sidebar isn't available right now. Please delete if not allowed. I see a lot of pictures of actors' creative methods of setting up a recording booth. I am also a gardener and I have a greenhouse thats 4' wide, 3' deep, and 7' tall. I feel like one of those greenhouses (~$…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2020

What do y'all think of this video?

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFdGKPrYYmE&t=35s](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFdGKPrYYmE&t=35s) ​ I know this is kind of an old video, but I feel it's worth bringing up. Now you might be familiar with Eric Vale from the various anime roles he's been in (including but not limited to Trunks, Sakyo, Sanji, e…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Apr 2020

How much to budget for a starting XLR setup?

Hey there. I'm a hobby voice actor, but I'm interested in trying my hand at small paid roles. As far as I can tell, USB mikes are pretty much a no go, and my Snowball is definitely not up to snuff. So, if I were to start budgeting for an XLR mike, interface and whatever else I'll need for a functional setup. I'm very m…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Apr 2020

How can I always get jobs with another lead star?

So basically, I’m was finishing up my acting degree in college and I was wondering when I finish, and hopefully become an actor, how can most of my jobs I get have another lead star. For example, I would be a lead star in a show with another fellow actor.