Acting forums, all in one place

19,645 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Backstage

Backstage · 18 May 2018

Back to square one

Hi there, My name is Christina, and I am just getting back into the acting industry. I started taking classes and modeling at age 14. I was signed to an agency for two years until it went bankrupt. I took the time off and finished school and furthered my education...

Backstage

Backstage · 18 May 2018

Follow up

So I just read the awesome Backstage article about actess Amy Aquino and how you shouldn't take rejection personally. In the article, Ms. Aquino says to get feedback from every audition. How does one do that? I get no feedback from my agent unless it's a callback. If it's not...

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2018

Website for an up and coming actress

Hi everyone, new to this whole reddit thing...I need some help does anyone know of who can help me set up and keep running an acting website? I would like to get it up and running as quickly as possible just a little stuck...any info will help! Thanks!!!

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2018

[Hiring] Male Actor Spokesperson Needed! Easy Job!

Hey redditors! I am looking to hire a male spokesperson to present my online freelancing services. The job will consist of creating four 30-60 second videos of yourself simply describing my services. Scripts are provided, all family-friendly stuff. Willing to pay $25/hr for the right person. Requirements: Must Have HD…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2018

Actor’s Access Voice Demos

Anyone here suggests uploading voice demos to AA? I think I am going to since I have demos recorded anyway but I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences, etc.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2018

Becoming an Actor?

Let’s just say I wanted to become an actor. Maybe not a lead role, for the most obvious reason: I have 0 experience. But I’ve always wanted to be in a Marvel film, and with comic book movies on the uprise, it’s definitely something I want to land. Where do I start? I dig through the internet daily on ways I can achieve…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2018

Reels on Actor's Access?

Just made my first reel. I'll probably tweak it after some critique, but I'm trying to add it to my Actor's Access account. I know that they charge $22 a minute for uploading video, but why would I pay that when I can just attach the vimeo link to my resume or "notes" section when I submit for roles? Or will this make…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2018

Would it be considered faux pas to submit to my friend’s agent?

Two years ago my friend who’s been in the business for a long time told me to submit headshots/resume to his agent who’s also been in the business for a long time (30+ years, I looked them up and they’re pretty prestigious) and to give him a heads-up when I do. Since then I’d had to take a hiatus from acting and we hav…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - May 17

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2018

Horatio questions?

So, I was recently cast as Horatio in a production of Hamlet. I haven't even read any Shakespeare in over a decade (I know and I'm sorry). As an actor, I'm trying to flesh out this character who seems to be more of a literary device than an actual human being. The man just seems too...good. He's intelligent, honest, lo…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2018

Reproductions is launching a Screenplay Contest!

Hey all, Long time lurker here. I know this is the acting subreddit but I figured there are lots of us who also write! After lots of convincing, me and a coworker got our job to hold a Screenplay contest where *the winning script will be produced and filmed by us!* Reproductions \(based in NYC\) is known for headshot p…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2018

pronunciation help??

weird question but can anyone recommend any online resources to learn american pronunciation? I just figured actors need really clear voices so maybe you would know of some? I'm mute, and I really really really want to learn to talk. I couldn't get speech therapy in school because I wasn't ESL so I couldn't fix this ea…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2018

Honest advice needed

Long story short: wanted to act since I was 18, was ridiculed by family for it, went to medical school instead due to family pressure and fear of the unknown. Hate everything about medical school and left. I left for reasons beyond acting- I was truly miserable in the field and realized that I really don’t want to do i…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2018

Do you remove old reels?

Just curious. Do you delete old reels from actors access/youtube once you update and upload a newer one? I recently updated mine and am not sure if I should just leave my old one up or not.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2018

I feel like a waste and untalented

I am a junior high school student, and I dream of being an actor. I’m my drama teacher’s favourite so I get all the leads in that class and I was a lead in the much more intense musical theatre program. In the fall I was also in a professional show in the community. Thing is, is I don’t feel like I deserve any of that,…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2018

Shooting your own scenes for your showreel

Hi all. I'm an actor based in Copenhagen, Denmark. It's a small market so there are few opportunities to get material for your showreel. So I've decided to team up with a mate of mine who's a super talented cinematographer with top of the line equipment. His graded work looks better than most productions I've been on.…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2018

Best way to tackle the craft from a remote, culturally dead area?

Have some prior acting experience (a couple classes in college), would love to get back into it for my own enrichment. Problem is that I live in a very rural area, and there aren't even good community theaters or anything like that within a couple hours of me. Any great books/exercises/methods I can explore in my own t…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2018

There Are No Stupid Questions - May 16

Please feel free to ask any question at all related to acting, no matter how simple. There will be no judgements on questions posted here. Everyone starts somewhere. So ask away!

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 15 May 2018

Actor and Singer with Dual citizenship living in South Australia seeking an agent.

Hello, I'm an Australian Actor and Singer looking for an international/worldwide casting agent to represent me. I currently reside in South Australia and I have dual citizenship in Australia and Italy. I'm able to work, reside and study in Italy and in the other 27 EU countries (U.K., France, Germany, Holland etc.) wit…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2018

You are gonna make it

I just saw an interview with Mark Ruffalo and at one point he said he got his first big role after LITERALLY more than SIX HUNDRED AUDITIONS. I thought that was awesome, insane-ish too, but mostly awesome. So, i want to make this as a post where actors struggling with their carreers and questioning the big "Am i ever g…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2018

Drums?

So I’m getting really into the drums and am aspiring to be a professional. I’m still very young (14) and am pretty decent with my acting skills (I’m paired up alongside 16 year olds and above) but trying to get better with my flaws. I’m just wondering if learning certain instruments have an advantage in the acting care…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2018

Attending drama school completely terrified!!

I'm a New actor and I've pushed it off for so long bc I've been really terrified of going for it, I live in London and decidied to register for a summer program at one of the best drama schools here since it's not audition based. I'm COMPLETEY terrified. I'm still such a newbie. I wanna try to prepare myself as much as…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2018

Is actors access only for LA and NY?

And extra access? I made an account for extras access and it’s only NY and LA, is there any way to get extra experience without paying Backstage’s high prices? I’ve never been an extra before and idk if I’ll ever get a role so I’m not sure if I should spend $100+ just yet

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2018

Do you recommend Improv?

My goal is not to be a stand up comedian or anything, I was curious and thinking of taking a Improv class, I was wondering if you guys fond that beneficial? or have found some great use to it.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2018

Discuss a performance you saw recently - May 15

Talk about a performance you saw recently, in any medium-stage, TV, film. Good or bad; what did you like about it? What didn't seem to work? The more specific the better.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2018

Wrong Path?

So I recently got accepted into the University of Calgary, this uni in Alberta. I'm taking a major in Drama. Honestly, I'm very happy. I had great doubt about whether I would be accepted anywhere at all. And my original goal all along was to study acting. But the cost of boarding for the first year alone is over $10,00…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 14 May 2018

Nabbing an Agent

Hello all! My headshots and demo reel aren't exactly what I want them to be, but I'm hesitant to invest more money in these when the agency may want me to market myself differently. Do you make sure your headshots and demo reel are the epitome of perfection before applying to agencies, or do you submit when you can? Th…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 14 May 2018

Self tapes

Hi everyone, I have a question. How do you make self tapes with action scenes? With moving, jumping, shooting, etc. Do you do all that actions or you concentrate only on lines and trying to minimize actions? For example, I have two-three pages of the scene, but there are only 3-4 lines, other is actions and lines of ot…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 May 2018

Outside the phone, outside the internet

So, i got so much inspiration and thought so much about my current life today that i want to make a change on it. Let's make it fast: i spend too much time on my cellphone and say that's okay because with it i can learn theoric things on acting and filmmaking, both of the disciplines i want to be really good on. But th…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 May 2018

Actors who have done producer roles, I need some help.

Long story short my friend has offered me a producer role. I’ve worked with him in other projects so he trusts me and I want to expand my horizons. For anyone who has done such work, I would like any advice and expertise on what I should and need to do. Thanks.

Reddit

Reddit · 14 May 2018

Where to get a demo reel made in NYC?

I noticed Actors Connection offers to make a demo reel with two to three scenes. It comes with a three-week class including a casting director who directs you through the process. They provide the crew and locations and actors to work with. I think it costs about $750.  Has anyone done  this demo reel course or can you…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 May 2018

I want to add a recent work to my resume but I’m not sure how. Please help

I was hired as an actor to play an undergrad students for a college photoshoot. They will use these pictures to promote their school (brochures, train posters etc...) how would I list this on my resume. If you can’t tell I’m very new at this so any advice is welcomed. Thank you !

Reddit

Reddit · 13 May 2018

Is it possible to join an american acting agency when you live in a different country?

I live in France and am mainly interested in playing in English-speaking movies. So I thought about joining an american agency, but do they accept foreigners most of the time? Or do I have to live in the US? Do agents/directors sometimes fly actors out in the US? And I also had a question about big agencies such as CAA…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 12 May 2018

Self-Tape Auditions

Hello! More and more it seems that self-tape auditions are the way of the future. I find them frustrating because I have to either beg a friend to help me out, try to do it on my own, or pay a service to tape it for me. Does anyone have any good suggestions for self-tape companies in the LA area, and why do you like th…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2018

Acting Lightbulb Jokes

How many musical theatre actors does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 5-6-7-8! How many Meisner actors does it take to screw in a lightbulb? The lightbulb's eyes are brown. How many Strassberg actors does it take to screw in a lightbulb? I had a lightbulb once...but it died. How many Mamet actors does it take to screw…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2018

The Insecure Actor’s Paradox

This is something I realized last night that I struggle with, and in wondering if anyone else can relate. When you audition for a role and don’t get it, our brains tell us it’s because we aren’t talented enough, not because we weren’t right for the role. When you do land a role, our brains say it was all because of you…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2018

why do so many actors only cry out of one eye?

i've noticed something in a lot of movies i've seen. when they cut to a character with a tear coming out of their eye, a lot of the time it's only one eye. the most recent example i've seen is in guardians of the galaxy 2 when ego breaks the tape player and it cuts to chris pratt, he has a tear coming only out of his r…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 May 2018

Acting Gigs in Connecticut

Hey everyone, I'm a relatively new actor based in Connecticut looking for some options on getting auditions around the state. I don't know really where I should start, so if anyone knows how I should get started in a quiet town in a quiet state, all advice would be appreciated