Acting forums, all in one place

19,645 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jun 2018

Thoughts on dying hair?

Been wanting to dye my hair a platinum blonde color (think Pom Klementieff’s color aka Mantis from the MCU) but I’m not sure how much it will affect me getting auditions/roles. I’m Korean American and have naturally dark brown hair. I’ve had platinum blonde hair before and I loved it, but I dyed it back when I started…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jun 2018

VO actors familiar with "Gravy for the Brain"?

Hello! Are there any voice over actors here who've taken online classes from the website "gravyforthebrain.com" It looks like a good deal and I wanted to know if it's worth subscribing to. Thanks!

Backstage

Backstage · 6 Jun 2018

Age for casting

I've notices on several casting calls (particularly for Disney's the One and Only Ivan) that they were looking for actors 18 and older. In that instance, are they looking for people who are actually eighteen or are they simply looking for people who can pull off the look of an...

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jun 2018

Actors Access - Netflix castings

Are these legit? I saw the casting listing for Riverdale (back in 2015) on Actors Access and was just wondering if this was legit... Like did this mean anyone anywhere could've submitted a demo/self tape to try and get an audition for Riverdale roles?

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jun 2018

I started an acting workshop yesterday

Hello everyone! I'm kind of new here (and to the acting world) and I'd like to share my first experience with you, because I'm not so sure how to feel about all of it. First of all I will apologize because this may end up being a wall of text because I have a lot to take off my chest, so sorry if it becomes a long text…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jun 2018

Intensive acting course or classes LA and or NYC?

Hi All! Im an actor from Ireland and was thinking of going to the states for 1-2 months this summer. does anyone here recommend any affordable classes or teachers/studios in NYC or LA? Im desperate to return to the states and would love to dive into some classes while im there. Would appreciate any feedback so much.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jun 2018

Acting advice for a beginner

Hey Guys! I was hoping if I could get some advice from you all. I’ve been taking acting classes for the past 6 months now at second city but I am not with an agency and not sure if I should go to school and take a film/ acting course and learn more theory or continue with the acting classes at second city. Also I was w…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jun 2018

Entering the wilderness, any advice?

Alright guys, I’m doing this, like really doing this. I’ve been to drama school, I’ve gotten myself a very reputable agent, and came off my first professional job a month and a half ago. I’m regularly going to classes, every now and then I’m emailing my CV to CDs, I’m trying to write a play and also make a couple short…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Jun 2018

Acting Career Advice from Bill Oberst Jr.

[Here's a link](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaegnd3xaVI&t=2913s) to the full video. The bullet points: 1. Realize that you’re going to be rejected a lot, and it’s going to take a lot longer than you thought. Cut all ties with other careers. Don't have a plan B. 2. There’s a lot of noise (lots of people also trying…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2018

Interview Request: Have You Performed Nude?

Hello! I’m a freelance writer in Toronto, and I’m looking to interview female actors who have performed nude as part of a story for a fashion & beauty publication. If you’re willing to be interviewed, or you’d like to know more details about me/who I’m writing for, feel free to send me a message :) I’d really appreciat…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2018

Advice for moving to a new city to pursue acting.

Hey guys! I'm planning on moving to Cape Town, South Africa in January. I'll be 20 y/o and honestly I'm terrified. I'm working full time and studying acting at the moment \(part time\) and really need to just get out there so i'm moving to get closer to where all the acting action is. My biggest concern is getting a jo…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2018

Why do some actors never get big breaks while others do? Eg Meghan Markle

Meghan has been on the successful TV show 'Suits', but she was stuck doing Hallmark TV movies too. That's still way better than not working, but you have to wonder what her agents and managers were doing. Why couldn't she levy her successful role on Suits into bigger and better roles elsewhere?

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2018

What if you don’t have connections in the film industry?

Obviously knowing the right people gets you step ahead. But if you don’t know anyone are you absolutely doomed. Because I’m pretty sure many actors knew people and had a lot of luck which is how they got to where they are now.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2018

Should I go to Private Coaching for a callback? I need advice!

Hi everyone. So I sent in a tape for a feature film a few weeks ago and just received a callback from the tape for an in\-person session with the directors, producers, etc. It's a highly emotional scene with crying/fear involved. I know that since it's a callback they basically want me to go in and do the same thing I…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Jun 2018

Chris Pratt Acting Technique

I read an article recently about Chris Pratt's unique acting techniques and I'm a bit confused as to whether or not he's a method actor. The article spoke about how he creates playlists for his characters and imagines what animal his character would be, but it didn't actually explain if he was a method actor or simply…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Jun 2018

Table read for: After You've Gone

We are doing a table read for the feature film **After You've Gone**. We need a few actors to come in and help out by reading some of the characters. This isn't a paid position, but we will feed you. It's next Wednesday June 13th at 6:30pm in Tustin, CA. As well, only one role is cast in the film, so there is opportuni…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Jun 2018

Help me find this actor!

He appeared on "Joking Bad" - Jimmy Fallon at the beginning of the video, this is what he looks like https://gyazo.com/3f219f9366ec6eea6b9d956356d04b55

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Jun 2018

Careers that could conflict

I’ve been thinking of pitching articles about film, and film criticisms. And possibly doing video reviews or essays. I was wondering if you thought this could conflict with a career trying to be an actor, or writer?

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jun 2018

Are acting schools (3 year degree) worth it

I asked earlier the best way to become an actor for an 18 year old, and was wondering if going 1 step further than weekly classes, to actually study a degree would be beneficial and worth the cost (roughly $45,000 for the 3 years). I'm thinking I might do casual classes for a year and see if I enjoy it/are any good the…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jun 2018

Good theatre photographer in NYC?

I've been scouring the internet for someone with a real theatre style. I see a lot of UK actors with great head shots. But NYC head shots seem to have a 'pop' style that I don't want. Open to recommendations.any...even your pals who shoot photography! Thank you!!

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jun 2018

Non-union National Commercial help?

Hey everyone! I recently booked my first commercial and it was a national commercial for Pizza Hut (yay!) and it started airing yesterday and I've already seen it all over the place. I'm a stage actor moving in to the film world and its DRASTICALLY different so I'm a little lost. My question is how does payment work? I…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Jun 2018

What are some things I can be doing daily to become a better actor?

I'm looking for daily routines people do on a daily basis to improve their acting skills or prepare for a role. I don't mind if they're directly or indirectly related to acting, but I want to fill more of my free time with healthy routines to push me further to my goal.

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2018

Finding that magic of college after graduation

Everyone who graduated with a theatre degree, and is now working, what's it like? I am very career-focused, and find myself sacrificing a lot of potentially fun moments and projects to do what is best for myself as a future working actor. But I also love some aspects of it: the fun of being around a lot of people your…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2018

Do short (and actually short-short) actors have a chance at roles? should i give up?

I've read alot that most male actors are not as tall as people assume due to them having to complement a variety of other actors on camera height-wise. However, most articles i've read define short as somewhere between 5ft 9 to 5ft 7....I'm 5"3'...... I'm not just "not tall", i'm straight up short. Add to that the fact…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - May 31

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2018

actors in NYC, what is your survival job that pays decent? like, above $20 an hour.

money is literally the only thing holding me back from progressing in acting at all, and it's really driving me crazy at this point. waitering / bartending has been my go-to for the few years I've been here, it seems like a catch 22. either you don't get enough shifts, or managers want open availability and it conflict…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2018

Equity Principal Auditions In New York City

Hi, I am a non-equity actor who is just starting to really focus on doing a lot of professional auditions, and I've been trying to go to some Equity Principal Auditions (EPAs). I've been to some EPAs in my city, but I've never done any in New York. I was wondering if anyone has done any EPAs in New York City? If so, co…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 May 2018

Any reccommended reading for younger thespians?

Hey, I am a rising Junior in high school, and since I'm going to have an actual disposable income for once, I figure I should spend money on bettering my abilities as an actor through reading. Any you all recommend for someone who's been acting at an ameteur level for a few years now?

Reddit

Reddit · 30 May 2018

Head movements in screen acting?

Some advise to avoid it and soem say that its necessary to feel natural... I dont know. Thougbts? I feel if there is too much head movement than it becomes cartoonish... But if its too stiff. It looks like the actor is nervous. I feel most performances I have seen dont move heads much. I assume this is the case because…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 May 2018

Acting for the camera programs in NYC?

I'm about to start William Esper Studio's 2 year program next fall, but definitely want to spend either the summer in between, or afterwards in a comprehensive acting for the camera program. My top choice would be NYU Stonestreet's summer program, however I know they only allow certain non-NYU students into the program…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 29 May 2018

Self Taping at home

More and more I am seeing auditions that require you to do a video audition from home. I prefer in person auditions, (I’m old school that way and love the interaction) I’m trying to get with the times and do self taping from home. What kind of equipment would I need for a good self tape? Can I use my iPhone to record?…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2018

Two questions, entirely unrelated, from a guy who isn’t involved in acting at all

Hey I just had a couple questions that have always nagged at me about acting and having the option to try. 1. How exactly does an actor decide how to deliver a line? I know movies have multiple takes so I figure the answer is “deliver a line in multiple ways and they choose what fits”, but also I wondered: do actors ev…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2018

What constitutes a "non-union" production? SAG actor asking

i joined the union too early and I want to know what I can and cannot do. I know things like Investigation Discovery or non\-union cable productions are off the table. But me filming a scene for my reel with my friends is not considered a "non\-union" production right? We're not submitting it to film festivals or anyth…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2018

Should I start an acting class in my area as a beginner?

Where I live there aren’t many acting classes around at all, and the ones that are around are ridiculously expensive and likely scams. I’m a amateur actor who’s a young man that has taken acting class before. Everything from cold reads, auditions, scripts, improv, and more. Very much a beginner still. That being said,…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2018

Take a Non-Speaking Play Role, or Stay Behind the Scenes?

Hi! First time posting here, so apologies if I don't adhere to the proper rules. I also don't know anything about acting, so please be kind. The setting: I'm a 30\-something year old who is finally trying to take up the acting mantle after years of thinking about it. I'm signed up for acting classes at the local commun…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2018

Noob acting in a friend's feature soon - need quick crash course

Okay, it's probably impossible. But I need something as close as possible. Basically, my friend is asking me to act in his film because he needs and Asian teen (I'm not a teen but I look like one) and after multiple rounds of casting, he cannot find anyone. I would love to do it, but I'm just nervous. So a little backg…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2018

Diana Castle or Margie Haber Acting Classes in L.A.

Hello fellow actors! I was planning on taking classes with one of these teachers and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences with either of them that they’d be willing to share!

Reddit

Reddit · 29 May 2018

Would you rather be good or lucky?

I heard a story recently of a hockey coach who was asked if he would rather be a good player or a lucky one. As an actor, if you had to, which one would you choose? The words ''good'' and ''lucky'' are up to your interpretation.

Reddit

Reddit · 28 May 2018

Want to be in our movie

Fredi 'Kruga' Nwaka is an actor and director, known for Brotherhood (2016), The Intent (2016) and Legacy (2015) to be in are we dead yet link in http://blackunited.co.uk #acting