Acting forums, all in one place

19,649 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Backstage

Backstage · 1 Nov 2018

Introversion in Acting

As an introvert working and studying as an actor, it has been a recurring struggle for me to find my "voice" in collaborative and academic theatrical settings. I have often felt that my contributions have been overshadowed by louder, more extroverted voices in the room. I feel like extroverted actors...

Backstage

Backstage · 1 Nov 2018

Introversion in Acting

As an introvert working and studying as an actor, it has been a recurring struggle for me to find my "voice" in collaborative and academic theatrical settings. I have often felt that my contributions have been overshadowed by louder, more extroverted voices in the room. I feel like extroverted actors...

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Nov 2018

Interested in voice acting but not live acting. Weird?

Since I was a kid, I was always into acting. I loved watching actors express myself and I seriously decided to try acting when I was 16. But it didn't go as well as I thought it would be as I felt uncomfortable expressing myself on stage. But voice acting was a different niche. I was on my high school choir team and di…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Nov 2018

What are examples of good headshots?

Everyday people are asking if their headshot is good on here. Agents are always wanting good headshots but WHAT is a good headshot? Can you guys show me examples of headshots that actually get people in the room? I feel like I keep getting headshots after headshots. Is their a specific style or background or poses, or…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Nov 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Nov 1

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Nov 2018

Relationship with new reps

Hey y'all, I'm an actor based in LA. Recently signed with two new theatrical reps - one on East Coast and one here in Los Angeles. I see a lot of posts about how to build up a meaningful relationship with reps, people asking "do you call your reps at least once a week?", "how often are you talking to them?", "are you i…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Nov 2018

Will I be too old to be successful?

Hi, I'm currently 19 and I'm studying in computer science (University). I really want to be an actor, but I also want to get a degree in computer science or something related to reassure my parents (it's also my 2nd choice of career). I want to try and get into a theater school after University and I should be done in…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Nov 2018

Anyone need an acting reel put together?

I do video editing typically for video games, but was told that actors/actresses often need someone to put together an acting reel for them. If anyone here would need something like that I would be happy to help you out. Feel free to message me to discuss rates, prices will be VERY reasonable. ​ Thanks and take…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Nov 2018

Accounting to Acting?

I have been recently taking classes in acting from a studio and i really love it. I have a bachelors in Accounting and have been working in this field about 5 years without any motivation to get better.. I am thinking about pursuing BFA or MFA in Acting to help me become a better actor and to really test if it's someth…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Nov 2018

Projects to avoid?

What are the types of projects that voice actors should avoid taking, paid or unpaid?

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Nov 2018

The dreaded Blue yeti

I'm an aspiring voice actor from Virginia, but I'm also broke as hell. I got a Blue Yeti microphone really cheap and everyone says all their terrible. Is a Blue Yeti USB mic good enough for a first Voice demo. And if not, suggestions for Mic I should get, places I could go to record there, any suggestions would be more…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Oct 2018

Actors going vegetarian? (Not vegan.)

I'd like to go full on vegetarian and I was wondering if it helped with your acting life. Did you get healthier? Lose pounds? Did you get less mucus-y? (Sometimes I think the milk I could cut down on, but not all the way.) I'm down to no red meat, just chicken. Or did it affect you adversely and did you find yourself t…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Oct 2018

Enough Credits?

Hi. For the past 3-4 years I have been taking acting lessons and summer intensives at a well regarded studio in Hollywood. Some notable alum include Shi’a lebouf and Scarlett Johansson. I only add this to explain the seriousness and effectiveness of the class. Over the past six months I have been debating and decided i…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Oct 2018

Good part-time jobs flexible for an actor’s schedule?

I’m about to finish training at a bank as a teller. I figured since it was part-time that I would be able to switch my shifts around when I had an audition or booking. But after telling my manager about a callback I have tomorrow, she let me know that she’s able to switch around my shifts for now because I’m still trai…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Oct 2018

Should I start by youtubing first?

So my lifelong dream is to be an actress. As a kid I've always tried to get a part in plays whenever possible but being a small town girl I only gathered so much experience. I've began taking some lessons but as they're really expensive I cannot really continue taking them next semester. Being a college student and tie…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Oct 2018

Am I ready for an agent?

So I know that getting an agent is like what people see as “making it” sometimes and that lots of Unexperienced actors tend to think that it’s like the “first move.” I’ve been working professionally for about a year and my schedule is starting to get to a point where it’s almost impossible for me to keep track of every…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Oct 2018

How did you get your agent?

Since every actor/actress wants an agent, I thought it be would nice to talk about the different ways people with representation, got their agent to help everyone in their pursuits. For me, right out of college I started working at a talent management company. This was before I started pursuing acting. I worked with ag…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Oct 2018

I have multiple voices and am wondering if this is for Me

It's come to my attention that despite being far past puberty, I have absolutely no control over my voice(s). I have multiple voices to the point that people who I talk on the phone with do not immediately recognize Me, or comment on it. I get weird looks when I meet someone a second time, and when I talk to them I fin…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Oct 2018

Films made in China

I’ve seen a couple of these Chinese “state sponsored films” advertised on Backstage that are looking for American actors to travel to and shoot in China. I’m curious to know if anyone here has any experience with them, good or bad. The pay looks pretty good and they seem to cover all expenses. I’m wondering if there’s…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Oct 2018

Are acting classes worth it?

I have always wanted to be an actress all I have done is a bunch of plays in middle school and high school I am now 24 and I was thinking of taking some classes but I’m just wondering if they are even worth it?

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Oct 2018

(LA) LOOKING FOR FEMALE AFRICAN AMERICAN BACKGROUND ACTORS FOR FEATURE FILM!

This project tells an inspiring story based on the real conflict of Nigeria and the terrorist organization called the Boko Haram, who have kidnapped thousands of girls to be sold as sex slaves. This is a story of female empowerment. We're able to offer free professional headshots, but unfortunately, this is unpaid. The…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Oct 2018

Anyone heard of New Way Films?

Hey guys, first time poster and I'm not technically an actor but looking out for a friend. I'm doing some life coaching for a guy in the Philippines, he's won a couple acting awards from his school there and is wanting to really get into the industry. He looked around and submitted his info to a producer named Sean GK,…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Oct 2018

Listen to my podcast about acting and other disciplines! We go live today @ 2pm e.t.

Hey all, I have a podcast that I started a few weeks ago. I am an actor and creator based in NYC. I graduated from the MFA-Acting program from The New School for Drama. The podcast is an open talk show about the creative process and what it's like to be a creative on the ground level. And we talk about everything in be…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Oct 2018

Should I do extra roles for Student Films?

I recently auditioned for the lead in a student film and wound up getting cast as an extra. I am debating doing this. I really wanted to be an actor as a career and I KNOW this shouldn't be going on my resume, but at the same time, I'm a beginner with little credits. I wanted to be an extra professionally and I normall…

Backstage

Backstage · 28 Oct 2018

Has anyone else taken Actor’s Therapy?

If you’re looking to build a book, questioning what’s in your book, wondering if a song is good for you, if you want to workshop a song or a monologue for an audition, if you can’t choose between a song or a monologue for an audition, Actor’s Therapy is amazing....

Backstage

Backstage · 28 Oct 2018

Slating

what is the proper way to slate at an equity MT audition?

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Oct 2018

Totally new to acting: What should I spend my money on?

I (27 F) have always wanted to try acting, and I am moving to NYC in about 6 months. I have spent the last 9 years in school, and I got my Master's in Creative Writing. I recently got a windfall of money, and I paid off all of my debts, built an emergency fund, and have some left over. I have around 20k that I can spen…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Oct 2018

Emotional block that I can't get past... Anyone else?

I have been acting consistently for about 10 years now. I have finally gotten to a place in my work where I feel very proud of the work I do. That is not to say I think I'm hot shit. I still have TONS to learn and infinite room for improvement. But, while I can and will continue to grow and improve, I do feel comfortab…

Backstage

Backstage · 27 Oct 2018

What's your favorite acting podcast?

I have a real long commute, so listening to podcasts really help me survive the grind. I've heard of a few different acting podcasts, such as Inside Acting and Hollywood Close-Up but I'm curious to see what else is out there, and what listeners find helpful. What are your favorites...

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Oct 2018

Kicking A Bad Vocal Habit

I am a college student and we are doing A Streetcar Named Desire. I was called back for Blanche but ultimately was cast as Eunice. I asked the director for notes on my audition and callback (a common practice in my school) and she basically said that what held me back from the role was my vocal skills. I have a tendenc…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Oct 2018

Nyc : Bringing your baby into a professional audition room

Actress I know here in nyc brings her baby into a professional sag-AFTRA audition- another girl and myself have to audition with baby in stroller uh what do you think happened as soon as CD calls action? Baby starts freaking asking for attention- wtf - girl’s husband a big wig and has connections and is known in indust…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Oct 2018

Advice for acting in South America?

I want to become an actor, but all the advice that I find is US or UK centric. Most of them advice not to move right away, but where I come from, Perú, there isn't so much of a film industry or anything of the sort. I would like to apply for an acting school abroad but right now, I don't have much of a resumé. Any advi…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Oct 2018

Film Actors and Directors Collective

So I'm taking a gap in my studies and moving to LA in January to start auditioning for film and get experience in the industry. I went to school for acting for a year, but the program wasnt quite what I was looking for. I wanted something more collaborative, film based, and filled with constant creation. I've been foll…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Oct 2018

Is it that important to be a lot emotional as an actor?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here in r/acting. I'm a high school student and very passionate about acting, and even if I'm thinking about pursuing a career I haven't made a decision yet. One of the things which make me doubt the most about whether I have the talent to become an actor or not is that I'm not able t…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2018

How do actors get housing when having production overseas?

For example, if a production of a movie or a series (with both equity and non-equity actors) were to take place in a different country, how are they provided housing? Are actors allowed to bring one person (partner, family member, etc) as a guest to stay with them overseas?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2018

Finding student films and shorts likely to go to festivals?

Hey guys, LA Actor here! So thus far I've found a few student film and short film projects on Actors Access where the filmmakers express their intention to submit to film festivals. I'd like to hone in on these specific projects and was wondering if anyone had any experience or ideas to help me find more of them? Thank…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2018

My experience with theatre and acting in general.

As I was roaming around the streets, my shoulders brushing up against the horde in a dark and gloomy day, I decided to take the plunge and take up an activity that was far beyond my reasoning, far beyond my wildest dreams. The idea of taking on something that will make me go to great lengths to step outside my comfort…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2018

It's opening night for what has been the greatest play I've ever been a part of.

I'm experiencing so many different emotions right now. I've done quite a few plays over the past couple years (currently a senior in college), but this has easily been the best experience I've ever had. There was no off the stage drama whatsoever, everyone was equally dedicated to creating a genuine piece of art. Which…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2018

Casting Sites for London

Just a question to any London/UK based actors in here. Does anyone have any preferences of casting websites they’d use. Just finished my degree and looking for work, just wanting to know some experiences that people have had with them, good or bad. P.s.Bearing in mind I don’t think i’ve got the work to jump on Spotligh…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Oct 2018

How often do background actors get bumped up to principal roles?

Lately, both on here as well as on the TMFA facebook group, I see actors sharing stories about how they started as a background actor when they were then bumped up to a speaking role. It seems like a lot of them mention it happening, although they never go into detail of exactly how. Does this happen often? If it does,…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Oct 2018

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Oct 25

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Oct 2018

Morality vs Money

I originally just thought about posting this in the weekly ask thread, but I feel like it’s a question that would probably be worth discussing on it’s own. There’s a casting for a political party PAC advertisement. Needless to say, it’s for an opposing political party. But it also obviously pays. My demographic, I’m su…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2018

What are some books / essays on exaggerated acting?

I'm a director but I want my actors to adopt an exaggerated style of acting. Something akin to Japanese Kabuki theatre or general stylised acting something like Jack Nicholson in The Shining or The Joker in The Dark Knight. Are there any books on the art of overacting?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Oct 2018

Dramatic Acting Jams in LA?

I know there are a number of improv jams in LA, which are super cheap, anyone can show up, and improv a comedic scene. Does the same thing exist for dramatic scenes? And not necessarily improv - just a cheap place where actors come together and work on scenes?