Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Aug 2019

Dealing with Rejection When You Did Everything Right

How do you all deal with rejection when everything went well: you prepared as much as possible, you took risks, you made bold choices, you got a callback and smashed that, and you still didn’t get the role? I’ve been dealing with this over and over again lately, for the better part of two years, and I don’t know what t…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2019

Should I take acting classes

I have always wanted to be an actress (in my head)- but the issue is that I have an inability to express myself in real life, as in I am very monotone, and dull. I have stage freight too (got panic attack on my graduation walking up the stage). I would like to peruse acting as I feel like playing someone else that isn'…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2019

can i become a successful actress if i’m ugly

realistically speaking, becoming a successful actor is tough for the best of the best and is highly competitive. I noticed that looks are high in demand, and only those drop dead gorgeous people get casted in hollywood movies, unless the role is intended for an “ugly” character. My question is, what are the probabiliti…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2019

Question about my hair.

I know this is a dumb question but I live in a very small European country (with barely any projects available) so bare with me. I’ve had one series regular role (and a lot of theatre parts). I got cast with a black hair and had black hair throughout the whole TV show. Unfortunately the market in my country is super sm…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2019

Any successful online auditions?

Hi fellow actors, I want to find auditions but atm there arent any around my area. Did you have any successful stories from auditioning online?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2019

Asked to read for a role in an American accent for a callback

Hey there, I'm a UK actor and got a callback for a feature film. I was asked to deliver the original excerpt and a callback excerpt in an American accent. Should I maintain the accent for the entire callback, or just stick to using it for the script? Any advice appreciated. Cheers :)

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Aug 2019

I’m 16 and was wondering if I should start auditioning for camera stuff

I have been acting in a camera class for about a year and done a few plays, but I like acting for camera more. I have been looking through the casting websites like backstage and backstage looks like the best, but they are mostly 18+ roles. Are there any legit casting websites that are specifically for minors? Do you a…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 11 Aug 2019

New to LA

I am a NYC actor who recently moved to LA 3 days ago to enjoy the finer things and life and expand my horizon. Any advice and/or tips you can give me? Im very open minded and love connecting with people who are very passionate about this business

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 11 Aug 2019

Getting Answers to Your Acting Questions

Hey, guys!Don't forget that every month, producer Bradley Gallo answers all of your filmmaking and acting questions in his monthly vlog. If you have a burning question that you need answered, drop it in the comments section of his most recent post below where he answers some really great questions from all of you!https…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2019

Looking for screenplays/Monologues that will help.

Hello everyone I’ve posted a couple times in here and I appreciate all the feedback. I know as an actor it’s great to read screenplays and monologues to help build you as an actor, but as a beginning level actor I don’t think I can just hop into anything Shakespearean ( exaggeration) and have it down pat. Also I’m a ma…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2019

Is it better to take some lessons first or just jump straight in to auditions?

basically i’ve gotten a new interest in wanting to become an actor after being on set for the first time as an extra. would it be better to jump straight in to open auditions and take classes at the same time or get some practice from classes before thinking about auditions or an agent? i’m planning on taking video pro…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2019

New York actor looking to take a trip to Atlanta?

I’m trying to find a NY actor that might be trying to come to Atlanta and would be interested in a housing swap for a week or so. If you’ve been thinking about checking out the scene down here (it really is as busy and great as they say it is) I’d love to swap my one bedroom apartment in Midtown with you in exchange fo…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2019

LA actors - has anyone taken classes at EMAS or Andrew Wood?

i am in between taking classes at either of these two. i have read yelp/google reviews. EMAS: wondering if anyone can let me know how many times they would get the chance to go up and work & what the class size was for you in the beginning acting class. also, what you liked/what you did not like about the instructors f…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2019

Famous actors

I think I asked this question before but, which famous actor would you guys want to work with?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2019

Make sure you make an impression at your audition

Chances are that you are going to be auditioning for a human and chances are that you are human too. We, humans know how to make an impression on other humans. So do it. There is no harm in consciously making an impression. Do this by thinking more about them and less about you. Set it as your mission to help them acco…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2019

Audiobook

I was wondering if anyone could provide a link or tell me the steps for creating audiobooks with multiple actors. I want to do it and know where to find actors I just need to learn how to record them and put the files together to make the full audiobook. Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2019

Tip: You've already memorized your lines.

A lot of new actors get anxious about memorizing lines. It's not that scary. In fact, you subconsciously memorize those lines as you go. I started teaching and coaching students in L.A. one on one a few months ago and you'd be surprised at how fast even untrained actors can memorize those suckers within an hour or less…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Aug 2019

Actors access roles - Almost landed one and had some questions.

It's been a long, long time since I have had interest in acting. Interest as in - There will most like be little pay off (For my self. Not financially, but career wise) yet it still just seems so fun. ​ I applied for a role years ago that was on the investigative discovery channel. Generic murder case story , I…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2019

Booked and shot a national commercial - what are my next steps? (Toronto)

Hey all! Without giving too much information away about the shoot or myself (made a throwaway account haha), I'm an unrepresented, non-union (new) actor out of Toronto and this week I did a national ACTRA commercial for a major company. I have a few questions - 1. How, or would I, add this to my resume somehow? I've do…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2019

African American actress-what should I do with my hair?

I'm going to college soon for my first year and I'm majoring in acting. I've always been scared about my hair and wondered about my hair. I plan on having my hair in box braids and taking mew headshots for the first three months of my first semester. I often use wigs, let my curly afro out naturally, and when my hair i…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2019

I need an advice

Hi kind stranger, I need an advice... I want to be an actress and move to LA. I took acting, singing and dancing lessons (I even took stunt lessons) here in my country for a couple years; I participated in a couple plays, commercials, singing concerts and dance showcases. However I also got my degree in Computer Engine…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2019

Expression

Ive been watching a lot of films lately and noticed all the good actors have good facial expressions but i try to look at myself in the mirror doing expressions and there just not realistic any tips?

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2019

How can I meet actors in London?

I’ve been in London nearly a year now. I did acting training in another country so I don’t have good connections here. Now I’m struggling to meet actors in real life. Any advice? I’m a member of Meetup groups especially for improv which I love. I feel though like the people who go there are not pursuing acting, it's mo…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Aug 2019

I need help

Im kinda sad all the time for the last 1/2 weeks. After watching many shows my love for acting is way bigger and my dream of being an actor is in my head all the time unlike before when it was just like whatever if i become an actor then good but i didn't think about it a lot back then. Im seeing those teens that have…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Aug 2019

Visibility for struggling actors

I’m asking this as a struggling actor. I’m thinking about joining a modeling agency, talent agency, attending auditions, doing theater, and getting an on-set job. Is that too much to manage when I’m struggling? I want to be as visible as possible.

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 8 Aug 2019

Seeking Actors for Script Reading for Rom-Com

I'm seeking five actors to volunteer for a script reading this Saturday, August 10th from 9 am - 2 pm in West Hollywood, CA. There is no pay. The ages are from 25 to 70 years old. If you speak Spanish, it's a plus but not required. Please contact me for further information if you are interested in volunteering. 

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2019

Getting an Agent While in College?

Hi! I’m going to try to make this brief. Before college, I wanted to be a neurosurgeon. After I got into a great school, I decided I wanted to go into the film industry. This school isn’t that good for that field, but I do love the school and I want to get my degree from the school. After a year of discovering and tryi…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2019

Expressive Body language or face

I'm not an actress, and did not know where to post this. I have an expressive face / Body language and it came to the point where I found bad people exploiting it to their benefit...how can I use it for my advantage, or make poker face. Do you know excercises like recording yourself, what to look, etc? Thank you.

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Aug 8

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2019

Is it possible to become an actor while being ugly ?

It's a genuine question, I don't want to throw a pity party or people telling me that my looks are fine because they aren't (I've got bullied solely because of my looks when I was younger.) So as the title says, I would like to know if being unactractive could significantly impair my chances to " make it " because of t…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2019

I’m in confusion.

Soooo I’ve wanted to become an actor for a couple of years now but (especially after my final exams for school/university) I get terrible anxiety and there’s this little voice in my head constantly telling me that I can’t do it and I’ll never be a good actor which leads me to question why do I even want this but at the…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2019

Can you change your name/acting name?

I think my name and surname aren't really rememberable or easy to say and if I become an actor many people would just look over me. Do you have any examples of actors who have done this or if it is possible?

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2019

Question: Is there a market for scary and demonic sounding voice actors?

Hello there, I'm interested in working as a voice actor. Naturally, I'm wondering if there's a niche in the market I can specialize and excell in. I figured this would be providing a voice for monsters, zombies, dragons, demons and stuff like that. I'm a metal singer and I can make all kinds of crazy and scary sounds w…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Aug 2019

I hate working in musicals but they're so much fun?

Hello, I was prepping a song for my first musical audition (yay!), when I realized I may be too much of an non MT actor to really understand how everything is supposed to be normal. They just burst into song? Ook. Yet.. They're so much fun to do. If you can suspend belief, it will be so much fun to perform,despite all…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2019

I was used in a scene with a high profile actor. Now what?

Hello, Last Thursday, through a casting agency, I was invited with a host of other paid extras (around 30-40 people total) to be in the background of a popular Netflix series being filmed in my city. While on the set, I was selected to play in an important scene with a high profile actor, and another actor who is not a…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2019

how exactly do i get in to acting?

I’m currently a teen right now (15) and after having an amazing experience as a movie extra, it’s made me want to become an actual principal actor myself. I’m sort of confused on how to begin my journey as an actor. I know i already know about headshots so i’m good in that part. I know i’m gonna need an agent but i’ve…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2019

LA Haunted Hayride Audition Advice?

I have an audition for the LA Haunted Hayride attraction next week to be a scare actor, and I'm curious if anyone here have gone to these auditions before OR were part of the LA Haunted Hayride? I have no idea what to expect both at the auditions and/or working for LA Haunted Hayrides as a scare actor. People who have…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2019

Massachusetts actors/creators

Hey all Anyone from Mass. looking to get into some acting and filmmaking but not really sure where to start. Any advice is welcome.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2019

What to do when you hit an “actors block”?

Similar to a writers block. When you guys study a scene and understand it, and get it, but empathizing with it is a challenge, how do you work that? I feel like I’m pushing a wall to no avail.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Aug 2019

Putting my best foot forward when casting

I'm a student filmmaker and working AC based in Los Angeles who is at the point where I'm gonna start reaching outside of my social circles to find (unpaid, non-union) talent. I'm not interested in wasting anyone's time so I have a few questions for you guys regarding casting calls: - what are some things you consider…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

how many meetings with reps did it take before you found one that you actually LIKED?

because i can't stand 99% of the people i meet in this industry. they vomit their ego at me for an hour and i leave the meeting questioning why I'm even doing this. i dont care that you know somebody that knows the president. that doesn't impress me. the agents I have are soulless business people, the actors I meet are…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

acting help

Hi guys! I want you all to know that actor Aaron Marcus, a full-time actor, (he is also a producer and an author) for over 30 years, is now teaching people how to get into the industry. There is a free webinar of him that you can watch and many other links you can click on for more and more info on acting. He will even…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

there just HAS to be better jobs than waiting tables to pursue this.

i fucking hate serving so much. it's grueling and mentally and physcially exhausting, and i've been doing it for too long. but the cost of living in LA has gotten so high, bedrooms are fucking 900$ and then car and insurance and classes on top of that... honestly the lifestyle is just a fucking nightmare to me, a total…