Acting forums, all in one place

19,654 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

Director/Producer kissed female actors on the cheek when saying goodbye?!

So as the title alludes to, I went to an audition for an indie feature film which was posted on an online casting website similar to backstage etc. Anyway, it was for five female leads so there were 40 females auditioning through the day in groups. I was in the first group and after we finished up, the director/produce…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

Do you guys do critiques here?

I run a podcast with several voice actors and they are all improving each session, but I'm not sure how to give them good feedback on their performances. Is this sub willing to do critiques? I don't mean to sound scuzzy to drop a link with our stuff, but I'm not sure what other way to do it aside from having you listen…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

Does this sub do critiques?

I run a podcast with several voice actors and they are all improving each session, but I'm not sure how to give them good feedback on their performances. Is this sub willing to do critiques? I don't mean to sound scuzzy to drop a link with our stuff, but I'm not sure what other way to do it aside from having you listen…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

Sight Reading

I’ve always been amazed by actors who are able to pick up a script/sides and cold read a scene for the first time. These actors don’t make any preconceived choices, have done any research on characters, or even think about what they’re saying, but the spontaneity they bring to these scenes (in my opinion) makes their w…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

Opinions on facebook group TMFA

I get some really bad vibes from wendy if I'm being honest. I have a feeling she talks a good talk (you NEED the HWC) but its about money. Its like they are telling actors they suck and dont know what they are doing but hey, you can take my course! Idk. I just have a bad feeling around it. Also the group eats you alive…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

How does the casting process work from start to finish?

As the title says, how exactly does casting work? From posting the breakdown through finally casting that perfect actor. Especially for “open calls” on Actors Access aka anyone who is active on the site would be able to see it and submit. Would they call in/ask for self tapes from hundreds? Thousands? What about if it’…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Aug 2019

Stage Names- Are They Necessary from the Beginning of your Acting Career?

Hello! I’m just starting to get into acting- last week I portrayed a featured background character in an Emmy award winning Prime show and was contacted to do some more work with the show. If the featured scene has already been filmed- would it even be worth asking to be credited using a stage name rather than my birth…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2019

Haircut advice

I (M, 24) have had long-ish hair since moving out to LA less than a year ago but I want to try out getting it cut short. I thought having it long would give me less competition since most males have shorter hair but now it’s at a length where my niche is really small. I realize this will require all new headshots but I…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2019

Performing Shakespeare

I'm primarily a musical theater actor but want to branch out and try Shakespeare. I didn't really study it in college from an acting perspective, so would the best course of action be to find some classes to take? Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2019

Advice for beginner actors in Hawaii?

Is moving out of hawaii and taking acting classes the right way to get started? I want to eventually be in movies and tv shows but what are the steps to put me in that position?

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2019

Getting stronger at the craft.

Even when you are not auditioning/taking classes, what do you guys do to get better. I just wanna do more, I will be taking class next month however I feel i should be looking into more outside of waiting to take a class. I wanna train daily. (Beginner level actor)

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2019

Type (Bond girl/ spy)

Are actresses who play spies/Bond girls considered character actors? I saw "Femme Fatale" listed as a character actor type on Wiki...

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Aug 2019

casting Japanese Actors/Actresses for short film in LA

Hi I am casting a short film(10 pages, deferred PAY) in LA, and am looking for Japanese Actors/actresses. The film focuses on themes of alienation and homesickness as a Japanese-american living in modern Los Angeles. breakdowns: TAI- rolls with every punch thrown at him, a japanese immigrant that's all but forgotten hi…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2019

Tips for a shy 16 year

Hello. I never wanted to become an actor nor I've never thought about it but I kind of want to get into acting, see what it's all about. I'm super shy tho, like very shy. There are some actors I really admire and look up too. What are your tips and things I should know? How should I overcome my shyness?

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2019

Need female VA interested in narrating semi-erotic short story.

As the title says, I wrote a short story and am interested in having it recorded as a performance! It is not overtly sexual and panders to a pretty niche kink, so while not everyone is going to be up for it, some may even find it entertaining. The actress would largely perform as the story’s narrator, in addition to tw…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2019

general tips for a 15 year old?

Recently got my first job as a movie extra. just signed up for it to make some money and see how movies are filmed and i love it. Working 13-15 hours a day is obviously tiring but it’s still really fun and all the people i’ve met in this industry are amazing. Now I want to get in to actually acting/being a principal ac…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2019

Managing sonography and acting—I need both!

How can I manage a career as a medical sonographer and an actor? I won’t be able to live without either career, and really want tips on how to manage sonography and going to auditions/shoots.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2019

Long rant! But I need help!! [ACTING]

Okay guys, you need to tell me if you think I’m passionate about acting or not, because I’m so, so conflicted, and another person’s point of view would be really helpful. Please read the whole thing. I know it’s long, but I need all the advice I can get. So here goes: I’ve been watching Bollywood movies since I was a k…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2019

For actors from Europe:

Can you please advise me some sites or managers to help finding auditions? As a starting actor I already use couple websites But it seem that not many castiing and production companies use this site. So any advise would be helpful.

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2019

My Albert Wesker

It has always been my dream to be an actor -- especially in the genre of animation via voiceover. I was curious as to what people thought of this video I shot years ago for fun. I can do requests, I just want to make a splash somehow. [https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Aug 2019

Question about foreigner career in US

Hello everyone! The thought of getting into acting got into my head few weeks ago and i decided to give it a shot. But i can’t stop thinking about one thing. Can a European guy (Poland to be exact) can make a huge career in US? Of course US have biggest productions, most known actors etc. Everyone would like to work in…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

I need help of y'all

Alright so I want to be an actor, can I start it a bit up at age 12?

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

Choosing a stage name

Hello, im an actor I just finished as a lead role in a feature film and I’m having trouble picking a stage name my full name is Shawn Javonte Holland and I thought of using that I also thought of just going by my middle name (Javonte Holland) cause it’s different or just surrendering to Shawn holland - any suggestions?

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

To help you feel better about any "bad" auditions you've had recently.....

I am a professional (not consistently working, but you could say consistently auditioning) actor in LA, and for some reason, coming hot of the trails of several really good auditions in the past few weeks and a producer's session yesterday..... I went CONFIDENTLY in for a series reg audition today. I dropped an F-BOMB.…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

I am not being accepted as an actress?

I feel... drained. I moved to LA and have ended up with no funds. My life is really lonely. I have been auditioning a lot. Didn't managed to get any part. People I know post on FB about all the projects they get and posing all together taking pictures. Yes, it makes me jealous! Being able to be closer to what I want. E…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

Think I'm SAG-AFTRA eligible... but have no proof

Hey all! Posting here as I'm in a difficult situation and am not sure what to do. I would really like to join the union and *think* I am eligible due to the fact that a few years ago, while working as an extra in a union TV show, I was "upgraded to principal" AKA given two lines of dialogue. [According to Backstage:](h…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

Stage name for foreign actors?

Hi all, I’ve been thinking about this one quite a bit. I’m African, and while my name is easy to pronounce over here, if one day I was ever to go to the States and pursue acting with my studies, it’s destined to be mispronounced. I’m not against people mispronouncing my name in general, as I could always correct them;…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

The Actors Academy YouTube

Who is this guy? Also what are his qualifications? What has he been in to be allowed to scam ppl into paying $150 for acting sessions? I’ve never heard of him and he really thinks he’s doing something out here. Literally the last video he posted was about “Millie Bobby Brown’s Acting Advice” and they are just clips of…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

My schools theatre program is trying to have more of a social media presence.

Hi, so I’m on my schools theatre board and we’ve decided to start having more of a social media presence to get more kids involved and more attention to our club. We’ve decided to do skit writing, interviews, and other fun little segments that we plan on posting to our Instagram. I’m not really expecting this to be the…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

Actor looking for a short film writer’s eye on things.

Hello I’m an actor who has written their first film. It’s done really well but now I have a new short for a thriller that I’d like an expert (note : expert) eye on. That is your writing has been nominated/awards. I’m willing to pay - please DM me for anyone that would fit this or if you would fit this as well - thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

Advice Filming a Sex Scene

So I'm an amateur actor and was recruited to take part in an independent, small-budget film. I have a lot of respect for the writer/director, but learned that the role requires a fair amount of nudity and simulated sex. I'm okay with that for the most part, but I'm worried about getting aroused and how my actress co-st…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2019

Japanese Voice Actors (Anime Pilot)

Hey all! I am an animator and I am currently making an anime pilot and am looking for voice actors who can speak Japanese! The pilot is just a few minutes long and all the lines are available in Japanese and transcribed in English characters :) I currently have 3 male roles open (female lead is already filled) I unfort…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2019

What to do when you're questioning your talent (in a funk)?

I usually don't internalize auditions when I don't get the gig or callback, because I know that's part of it. But I've recently switched from being an actor on the side to doing it full time. I've moved to another city and most of my friends here are also actors. Lately, my self doubt has been surfacing and it's pretty…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2019

I used to be polite re:side nose

When I saw an actress, who seemed to have dermatitis where their nostrils connect with the start of their cheeks, i gave them the benefit of the doubt, that you can only act under bright lights while wearing makeup for so long unless you have the greatest help. i personally think that's where they fuck up the silicon g…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2019

Actors, what does your schedule look like?

I’m really trying to become more consistent with the acting field and would love some insight about what y’all do on a daily basis. Do you always work out every morning? On average how many auditions a week do you do? How many acting classes a week/month? Do you wake up at 7 am everyday? Work 2 jobs? Everyone’s journey…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2019

LA actors!

For those that live in LA, which casting site do u guys prefer the most? Backstage? La casting? Actors access??

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2019

What kind of role is this and how much should I pay for it?

Hi! I'm working on a short (3 min) film for an online video contest. I need about five "henchmen" for the big finale scene. What kind of role is this? They interact with the protagonist, but don't have any lines. I'm thinking it would fall under "Featured Background" but I'm not sure. Also, what would you say is a reas…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Aug 1

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2019

What are the biggest mental/emotional/social struggles you face as an actor?

Hey guys! I'm an actor and host of the podcast "It's a Slate of Mind" ([click here](https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/its-a-slate-of-mind/id1456014234?mt=2) to check out the show!). I'm currently working on my next season and want to make sure that the subjects of each episode are on point with what our entertainme…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2019

Method acting relaxation tips?

New-ish to acting (2 years) and I really want to know how you(method actors) improve on the relaxion techniques you learnt in school , I feel like I’m always too stiff and anxious even 30 minutes after the fact

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2019

quality HS photographers in LA with 2-3 looks under $500 for men?

i'm doing my research but it looks like prices have gone up... quite a bit. and considering, with previous headshot sessions, I got more auditions from FREE headshots from a passionate up and coming photographer than I did for $1000 ones with a "pro".... more money doesn't always equal better... and I also don't want t…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2019

actors access sides scam?

Hello! I recently got invited to do an audition via actors access. I'm pretty new to this website but do I'm trying to download the sides but it says you have to pay for the sides? Is this a scam?

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2019

Please help me decide if I should join SAG.

First off, I live in San Francisco. I recently met a SAG actor who is going to make a full length film. He likes me and wants to write a part for me in his film. If I choose to do this project, I will be SAG eligible. My hesitations for joining are a couple. First, I have not been acting for very long. I just got out o…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2019

NYC and LA Actors (and NJ)... tell me about your LOCATION!

I am an actor living in NJ. I'm studying at a professional actor training school in New York City, and I just finished my first year (I have one more year to go.) Sometimes I get to thinking if I should give LA a try when I graduate. I began in Musical Theatre but am leaning very much into film and straight theatre. I…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2019

Help!! Is the Mike Beaty Talent Expo a scam?

I met with a “talent rep” today to potentially have some type of representation to bring exposure to my name as an actor. I met with her and right off the top she talked about how handsome and articulate I was and all this other stuff. Later she asked me to do a monologue which I was prepared for, although I messed up…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2019

Beginning My Voice Acting Journey

Hello everyone! I just recently started my journey as a voice actor and I'm very excited to get into this field. As far as equipment, I have a couple of different options I'm looking at for microphones. I'm split between the Focusrite Scarlett Solo recording pack and the Røde NT USB (definitely picking up a pop filter…