Acting forums, all in one place

19,657 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Nov 2019

[Guide] Memorizing Lines

# Introduction Memorizing lines is an important part of the actor's craft. Many of us know the struggle of being "on book" during rehearsal. Once we're "off book", it allows more opportunity for an increased sense of creativity, playfulness, and awareness that comes from not having to struggle to remember our lines. It…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Nov 2019

How can I move to america and become an actor as a child?

I'm a 13 year old boy that loves acting and I've been doing it since I was 8. I am self taught and how I've been learning to act for the past 5 years is taking scripts from movies or episode of tv shows and taking my own spin of the character or just remaking the scenes. I have gotten to a point where I think I could d…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Nov 2019

Does Anyone Have Experience Working With Funimation?

I’m a voice actor in Dallas and I’ve been looking for places to do some animation work. Funimation really seems like the best game in town, but the only contact info they’ve given me is an email address to get on their open audition waitlist (which they told me could take years to hear back). I’m a non-union actor and…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Nov 2019

I could really use some advice! I feel very behind and want to make the right decision.

Hi everyone! This might be a little long, sorry in advance. I’m new to posting on reddit. I’d be so grateful if you could hear my rambling and reasoning out and tell me your thoughts! I’m having trouble deciding what the right move is as far as starting an acting career. There are many different paths to take and I’m w…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Nov 2019

Gossip Girl Auditions

Does anyone know if audition invitations have gone out yet for the Gossip Girl auditions on Actors Access? Just curious if they were doing a mass casting call for this, or if they were just picking and choosing a handful of people. I know they were casting a Netflix show on Actors Access around this time last year, and…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Nov 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Nov 28

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Nov 2019

Let my voice be heard!

Being a small time streamer and active on social platforms like discord, I've been asked whether i'd like to take up voice acting, or why I'm not a voice actor yet. Doing a little internet research here and there, I stumbled upon this subreddit and figured I'd ask here. I'm currently looking for gear, that being most n…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Nov 2019

Possible ways of practicing acting at home?

I don’t have any acting classes near me but I do have a passion for acting. I was wondering if anyone knows ways to practice at home (should I just find and read scripts, keep submitting myself on actors access, etc.). I’m a 16 year old male and both of my parents both are supporting me fully. they can be a reader. tha…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Nov 2019

Light vs. Heavy rehearsal for film

Sorry if the title may sound confusing, but what I'm trying to get at is; most actors rehearse for weeks and sometimes even months for a play, so once they get on stage they know all their blockings and lines word for word. But for film, wouldn't it be a smarter approach to maybe only memorize your lines and have an un…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Nov 2019

In need of reassurance

I’ve never wanted to be an actor before until recently where I got a random feeling that I should go to acting school. I don’t have any experience and I don’t know if I want to form an acting career or try at least. But I love the art of acting and would like to get comfortable and confident enough to addition for role…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Nov 2019

Looking for a male Japanese voice actor for a short villain dialogue

Hello, I‘m looking for a male native Japanese speaker, somewhere between 20-45 years old, with a deep voice. You would read one of two characters in a dialogue script of about two pages (of which about 2/3 or a bit more is your role). I estimate it would amount to about five minutes of speech, but I can‘t judge the len…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Nov 2019

Voice actors needed

I am making an animation trailer for a project I'm working based off my all time favorite game series, Five Nights at Freddy's, and I need voice actors. Now, I don't know how I would handle "pay" if at all, so think of this as experience. Here are the characters if you are interested (please send me a message if so) 1.…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Nov 2019

Asking advice to gain more acting skills

I’m currently taking drama in high school and I’ve been learning a bit of acting and mime. I sort of want to act on camera one day than theatre but taking theatre will be more experimental as I’m going to be performing in front of the audience in the coming months. I’m asking for advice from experienced actors who lear…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Nov 2019

New Voice Actor and New Dad

Been training for years with voice teachers, acting teachers, singers, and self practice. I just purchased my first mic and am using Audacity to shape a Demo reel but I'm also welcoming my first child into the world and I'm so scared that I'm making a mistake. I have scripts to make a commercial reel and I have scripts…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Nov 2019

Unpaid role as an extra/background actor ?

So I’ve been hired for an inde film, non union and no pay and supposedly includes IMDb credit but does include pay. The shoot is gonna be from 4pm till likely the early morning hours the next day. Is this fairly common to not be paid as an extra?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Nov 2019

SAG Educational Contract

This might seem like a dumb or obvious question, but the film department at our local university is casting for their upcoming projects. One of the notes on the casting information is that they are SAG Educational projects, and it’s unclear to me what that means if non-union actors are cast or if it means anything at a…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Nov 2019

Shaving my head

As a male stage actor (primarily, I dabble in film) with a receding hair line, would it be a bad idea to shave my head and wear wigs/hair pieces to certain auditions?

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Nov 2019

Architecture degree in the film industry

It's my last year in architecture and I have been thinking alot about using my skills in the world of film. I want to follow my first dream and become an actor as well!! What's the best job I can get in order to use my skills as a designer to help out in movies and at the same time make connections and in a way take ad…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Nov 2019

Leave the link to your personal website!

I’m in the midst of creating a personal website to showcase my portfolio as an actor. And I’m looking for inspiration, leave the links to your personal websites in the comments!

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Nov 2019

I have to play a murder victim and I’m not comfortable with one of the scenes.

I recently got the lead in a short film where the girlfriend of a detective gets murdered by one of the serial killers he’s investigating is actually one of her colleagues. I’ve seen the guys work in town before and I’m sure they’re professional, however I’m reluctant on filming it because my tongue is going to get sli…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Nov 2019

Demo Reel / Actor's site feedback

I'd love any feedback on my demo reel. One note, I was told by my agents not to include commercial work so I've edited out a national commercial. Curious if anyone has had had the same feedback? [https://www.brentlyheilbron.com/acting-reel](https://www.brentlyheilbron.com/acting-reel) PS- any feedback on my actor's sit…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Nov 2019

I'm slowly becoming disconnected with my body as a performer and I don't know why

I love to act, ive been training and doing it for nearly forever but there's an element with me that I've notice wasting away and I can no longer use and that's physicality. You know how you as an actor can make daring physical choices or at least remove that barrier that just allow you to do things that you would not…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Nov 2019

I love acting, but I think I'm done being an actor. How do I quit?

I know this might be kind of a funny post for this sub, but its members have been so supportive over the years (thank you!) and I thought one or two of you might be able to help me out. If anyone thinks there might be a better place to put this question, let me know! I love acting, but I found something else I love mor…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Nov 2019

Tip: You've already memorized your lines

Reposting from a new account, deleted my last one: A lot of new actors get anxious about memorizing lines. It's not that scary. In fact, you subconsciously memorize those lines as you go. I started teaching and coaching students in L.A. one on one a few months ago and you'd be surprised at how fast even untrained actor…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Nov 2019

Do acting agencies hire in house photographers for headshots?

Hello! I'm a photographer in Germany and I've been trying to get started photographing actor headshots/portraits. I'm having trouble getting started and knowing where to market my services. Acting agencies seemed like a good place to start. I was wondering if anyone knew if acting agencies hired photographers and if it…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Nov 2019

Experience with Actor's Launchpad?

Does anyone have experience with Actor's Launchpad? How does it compare to One on One, Actor's Connection, Actor's Greenrom?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Nov 2019

Any thoughts on Shakespeare & Company's month-long intensive?

Hey all! I was just curious if anyone knew anything about this program? [https://www.shakespeare.org/actor-training/month-long-intensive](https://www.shakespeare.org/actor-training/month-long-intensive) ​ Also, feel free to recommend courses similar let me know!!

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Nov 2019

much needed career and future advice

hey there, i have been in a tough decision-making situation, and i utterly don’t know what to do. my parents are the type of parents that say “you can be whatever you want! as long as its a doctor” which is obviously limiting and forcing me into only one career choice. i love theater and acting, and i just get that fee…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Nov 2019

Help me find an acting school

Dear All  I hope you all are in good health. So since class 8th, I have made my mind of becoming an actor, although this burning desire in my head is not about money or fame yet it is for standing on stage and do my act. To make my dream true I need a push from teachers and here I am lost to make a decision. I am writi…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Nov 2019

Basic Scene Analysis and Character Development Fundamentals

For anyone just starting out acting, I hope this can help. I've been a film and TV actor for 20 years and from all the classes I have taken and over 100 film and TV shows I have been on, I have boiled down some of the basic fundamentals I employ when approaching any new film and television scene. There are a series of…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Nov 2019

How to get into acting when you have absolutely no experience?

I’ve had this burning question for the longest time but was always to afraid to ask. I live in Vancouver and I’m a 20 yr old F (sorry, too much pointless TMI?) I’ve been in love with film all my life, I can talk about it all for hours, whether it’s directing, scriptwriting and geeking out over actors performances. Turn…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Nov 2019

Actor/real estate agent

Curious how many LA actors out there also doing real estate? Can I ask you a couple questions? Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Nov 2019

Help looking for a scene!

Hello everyone, I was looking to see if anyone has any recommendations to scenes that have 3 people (2 men, 1 woman) I am having the hardest time finding one I like that I have to perform with 2 other actors in my class in a few days. Preferably a scene from a movie or tv show thank you. Any help would be greatly appre…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Nov 2019

Improv/Scenario Audition for Theater

To become apart of my cities local theater team, I have to audition in this sort of scenario. It’s a murder mystery scenario. Basically the veteran actors will greet me in character and I have to play along. Does anyone have any advice on how to ace this?

Backstage

Backstage · 22 Nov 2019

How to properly contact casting directors?

Hello everybody! I am very very new on backstage and trying to figure out how some things work. I am seeing all sorts of announcements about various projects that are casting for talent, in which the names and information of their casting directors are listed. Some mention that are to…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

When did you know you were ready to seriously start auditioning?

Hello, I keep thinking there's a wall before I 'try' to seriously start auditioning.. I never book anything so beyond that.. I think I want to become a great double threat (singer/actor). I'm pretty sure I still won't book anything, but just to be ready is nice. What is standing in your way?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

“Counting Stars” on BackStage

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows if the casting call for the Nickelodeon show“Counting Stars” is real. I researched, and found the same casting call on Actor’s Access(New York), but it was posted months ago. So, I am questioning if the casting call is legit, since the first notice for it was posted about 3 months…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Nov 2019

What can one do to become more Empathetic as a person?

I think it was Stella Adler who thought to grow as a person and to grow as an actor are synonymous and as such I will post this on a therapy subreddit as well. Yhis question is a little bit of personal and acting advice. I’m sort of at a roadblock right now acting-wise, and I’m not sure how to move past it. I think the…