Acting forums, all in one place

19,657 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Dec 2019

Voice Acting Tips?

Hi everyone, I’m currently a Senior in college and I’m getting a BFA in musical theater. Recently I’ve been looking into voice acting. The training I’m getting allows for us to get voice training as well as plenty of acting experience, but I’ve never done any “real” voice acting/voice over work. Do any of you have any…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Dec 2019

Is acting in an orgy productive for my career?

So I saw a role on actors access for orgy participants for a feature film. Pays $900 and it’s just simulated sex acts and l might not even have to get naked. If I were to get the part, is this something that’s worth putting on my resume? I assume there’s no speaking lines although the description didn’t specify.

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Dec 2019

Please help me out

Hi everyone, I am a 23 years old guy who is going to move il London next month. I would like to arrive there as prepared as I can so I will try to ask as many question as I can to leave every doubt out and finally sleep more peacefully as some thoughts excite and others terrify me. Some will be related to acting and so…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Dec 2019

Backstage in LA

Ive heard that backstage is useless to sign up for if u live in LA unless u want to do student films foreverz is this true? Should I just pay for actors access? If I do not have a reel yet, should I even submit? I feel like people without a reel do not even get looked at haha. Maybe just include a self tape as my reel?…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Dec 2019

Help w voice over script

Hey! I’m on mobile so please excuse formatting issues. I’m primarily a stage and screen actor but I’ve been sent over a voice over script that has been formatted a little differently than I’m used to seeing. I’m unsure of how to approach this one. It looks a little like this: Opening: (In italics) Time Money Honey ————…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Dec 2019

I want to audition for agents!

Hey! I’m getting frustrated with how hard it is to get into the room with agents- please, god, tell me how! I am fully confident about myself once I’m in the room- but I just! Can’t! Get! Into! The! Room! HOW on GOD did you get your agent? And how can I get mine?! I’m a nyc actor by the way!

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Dec 2019

Make a voice acting demo?

I have gotten interested in voice acting, and one idea I had was to make like a showreel on Soundcloud, for the different kinds of voices I can do. I am not sure this is a good or bad way to do it, but... Then it hit me 'then what?'. I don't think people actively search new users on soundcloud, so I should probably put…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Dec 2019

NYFA Acting For Film

If anyone has previously been or is currently enrolled in the New York Film Academy Acting For Film program, please share your experience! For example the audition/enrollment process, social aspects of the school environment, how it has helped you learn and grow as an actor, the pace of learning, and things you didn’t/…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Dec 2019

People keep saying I should act ?

I work in the media / film industry but everyone before I tell them what I do...asks if I act or work as an actor. I say I’m not. I never thought anything of it until I was on set with two relatively know actresses and they both said I have the actor look and should at least try if I haven’t already. I did want to be a…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Dec 2019

I feel inadequate most of the time and feel like I’m just not a good actor/voice actor

I’ve been acting for a little over a year now. I first started in Seattle and moved to LA about a month ago. Ever since I started, I’ve noticed that when I receive praise, I’m over the moon and for the rest of the day, I’m in the best mood possible. But when a performance of mine doesn’t get a lot of feedback (or any a…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Dec 2019

My New Portfolio Website

Hi everyone. Just wanted to throw in here my portfolio website. It's just based on a template but it's up and I will continue to improve it and update it. There will be more clips and stuff. [https://www.siggit.is/](https://www.siggit.is/) I'm an Icelandic actor graduated from the Film School here. I've been sending my…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Dec 2019

Looking for two voice actors for short film

**Synopsis of film:** The short is about a disgraced police officer, JJ, who killed his partner in the field. It shows his attempts to finally get back on top and the turmoil he feels from his alienation from the other officers. **Characters:** **Norm** Norm is still on somewhat friendly with JJ even after all of the u…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Dec 2019

24 Hour Plays

I'm not sure that this is necessarily the place for this, but I just need somewhere to let out my excitement, so i figured you guys might enjoy my story. So yesterday/today i took part in my University's project called the 24 hour plays as an actor. Basically, we met from 8-9pm last night, then the playwrights wrote sh…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Dec 2019

Walk me through your day.

Dear working and aspiring actors, those with professional, academic training and those without. Kindly run through your day for me. From the moment you wake up to when you go to sleep, what is it that you do, what runs through your mind consistantly and constantly? Do you have any rituals?

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Dec 2019

Online database for free (or paid) scripts/screenplays

Actors of Reddit! I need some help finding some resources to practise my craft on my own. I want to practise my script analysis and have my own catalogue of monologues/scenes to pick from for class. Can't seem to find any good websites for this, anybody have any ideas?

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Dec 2019

For the actress, is actual age matter?

I hear a lot “age doesn’t matter” to be an actor, but they are mostly talking about for male actor. For the actress, is real age matter? Or it matter only how old they look, not actual age? I’m actually 35 and started acting. I’m ethnic so I look young and ppl usually don’t believe if I’m over 28. (Usually ppl honestly…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Dec 2019

Too old for teen classes yet too young for adult classes

Hello everybody, I’m a 17 year old beginner actor from Sydney, Australia and I’ve found a problem. After doing my first acting class the term ended and we start again in January however, The max age for these classes is 16 and I have just turned 17 so I won’t be able to do them. So I looked around for a teen class that…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Dec 2019

Is it a good idea for an American to go to drama school in the UK?

I am an 18 year old girl in California who has been acting professionally for the past 3 or so years in musical theater shows, but I want to try acting seriously as a career in films. I admire UK actors and really enjoy the tv shows and films they work on, and I think I would like to audition for projects over there (P…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Dec 2019

New Voice Actor

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPDTLWArWDQ](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPDTLWArWDQ)

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Dec 2019

Looking to hire a voice actor who can impersonate Ron Perlman for an animated project!

Looking to cast a talented impressionist for a short animated Teen Titans fan film as Slade (originally voiced by Ron Perlman). I'm looking for someone to replicate his voice/performance as closely as possible (see reference [here](https://youtu.be/KaM8V7rxTK0) ). This is a personal animation project I've been working…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Dec 2019

Is there a lucrative market for older actors?

I'm beginning to plan my post retirement life and am wondering if doing commercials or extras work would be a fun & exciting way to earn some extra cash. I'm currently doing community theater so I have some "official" acting experience.

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Dec 2019

How do you master the art of Acting?

So I've never done acting before in my life but I always thought that it was interesting. I'm taking a course called "Basic Acting" next semester and I want to get any tips or advice on being a good actor.

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Dec 2019

Heading into a disappearing industry?

Hi, I'm an 18 year old and an aspiring actor. I currently take acting classes and a film-making course at school and all is good but lately I have been having the thoughts of what if in the future, actors are completely replaced by AI and CGI? With the rate that technology is evolving I am quite sure that this is possi…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Dec 2019

Keep killing it out there!

I recently signed with a new agent in a new region (for me), they do things a little differently than I am used to through my other reps - this is a small boutique agency - and every time one of their talent books something (no matter how small or large, and when NDAs are in effect its a generic announcement of BOOKED…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Dec 2019

youbackstage.com

[You Backstage](https://www.youbackstage.com/) Hey Actors! Do you need press articles. Join Web For Actors and do an interview to get it posted here. It's so easy, you can have an interview hosted on this site in mere minutes and it will link to your actor website ans social profiles. So create your actor website and a…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Dec 2019

webforactors.com

[Web For Actors](https://www.webforactors.com/) Smart actor websites that update themselves. When you create your own actor website you get more than any other website builder can give you. You receive an integrated, beautifully designed, SEO driven website that updates itself when you update your social media and acto…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Dec 2019

actor_websites has been created

A community where people share the websites they use to further their acting careers. Subject line should be the domain name. Please, no dupes. If your website is listed add a comment on how you use the website, and how it has helped you either find gigs or brand yourself online.

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Dec 2019

should I join SAG if I feel I need change?

I feel I need to do something big to bring change and now that I'm SAG eligible, I feel like maybe joining might make me feel more important. I have two agents, one told me her SAG actors have priority over non-union. I asked her if I should strongly consider joining. If she says yes, I would do it ASAP so I can work i…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Dec 2019

No sides, only headshot and resumé

Hey everyone, I’ve recently come across a project I’m interested in auditioning for and it is online submission only. The problem is it requires no sides or video to be submitted, only headshot and resumé and a demo reel if possible. I’m a newer actor, but I’m eager to reach for roles anywhere. I only have two plays un…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

screenwriters, playwrights looking for actors on new platform

Hi All, I recently founded a startup, [FameNow](http://fame-now.com), that makes earning money more accessible for actors. It addresses the catalyzing fees that come with joining SAG and being retained by an agent. Screenwriters and playwrights pay actors to perform, edit, and upload renditions of their scripts. It's a…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

How important is your reader?

As I send in self tape after self tape, I was wondering just how important a reader is. I know having one is important, but my reader is definitely not an actor and has a heavy-ish accent that might be harder to understand at times. How do you get your reader? Do you have a dedicated person, or do you call in favors ea…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

Scream Queens on VH1 ( Acting Reality Competition Show)

I wanted to recommend this show to anyone who hasn't seen it. It's an acting based reality show that takes place out here in Hollywood. It's an older VH1 show from 2008-2010, but its held up fairly well. It focuses on aspiring actresses who want a shot to be in the next SAW movie. A lot of it is horror based, and they…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

Method acting bad for mental health?

So I am in an acting class and just finished a book by Howard fine who writes about uta hagens acting style. It seems like method acting to me, where you think of circumstances you were in similar to the scene and take that to the scene. This seems successful but not mentally healthy. ACTORS: do you use uta Hagen/Howar…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

How to practice "less is more"?

Hey hey! My face is very expressive (+ doing a lot of gestures, moves, etc.), but on camera this gets unacceptably exaggerated. Trying to suppress expressions feels very unnatural, not truthful and uncomfortable. How actors fight excessive emoting/pointing on camera? Are there any specific exercises, any standard appro…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

What is the best website to look for voice acting work?

I know this probably gets asked often so I apologize in advance. I want to start voice acting as a hobby. Is there anywhere that has work for inexperienced voice actors? Work that doesn’t pay or pays very little. I just want to see some job listings so I can practice and I would like to know the best website to go to.…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

NYC Meetup?

Would all the professional actors here who live in NYC want to do a meetup? Would love to network, talk shop, and just hang out. We should utilize this reddit community more!

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Dec 5

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

Should I become ACTRA Apprentice ASAP?

Hi guys! I started acting in June 2019 and I’ve gotten a lot of auditions, mostly non-union but a handful of union ones too. On average I get 2 auditions a week. I booked a non union commercial in August and I booked an actor role for a TV show (union) last month. With this info do you think that it would be beneficial…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

NYC, LA, CHICAGO Actors: How many auditions do you do weekly/monthly?

I am in a smaller regional market and things are going well--I'm looking to move to a bigger market eventually. There are lots of opportunities here, but there's not necessarily a steady stream of auditions, i.e. 3 auditions a week in February, 3 auditions in all of March. After a lot of thought about my approach to au…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

Tips for acting as a high-functioning autistic character?

I’m debating auditioning for the role of Christopher at my local theater’s production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. I saw the show a few years ago, and the actor who played Christopher did an amazing job expressing his autism. Any help from anyone with any experience playing or understanding simi…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

When should an actor create an LLC?

I’ve been working professionally since 2017 with some decent credits (recurring, guest star roles) and some fairly top notch reps as of last year. A lot of other actor friends of mine in similar places in their careers have mentioned creating LLC’s and I was just wondering what the benefits or drawbacks (if there are a…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Dec 2019

Hello

Hello,im looking to be a voice actor. New at this this, i need tips,advice, And if you know one a voice acting coach. Thank you for taking the time to read this!