Acting forums, all in one place

19,657 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Dec 2019

I want to be a voice actor!

For many years people have been saying they love my voice and I have always loved public speaking, reading aloud, and trying my best to mimic any voice actors I watch. I would love to know how to start off and it's my dream to see a fictional character with my voice.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Dec 2019

Theater/Stage Casting Director(s) in LA?

Hey all... Hope you're all finding time to enjoy the Holidays and set yourself up for a great 2020! A while back an acting buddy of mine said he was focusing on theater (stage) in Los Angeles... I was trying to rack my brain for the name of a theater/stage casting director that he had mentioned in Los Angeles that tend…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Dec 2019

Any other actors with a speech impediment?

So for as long as i can remember, I've had a stutter. Not super severe, but bad enough to where it hampered me from doing a lot of things. Well when i got into acting about a year and a half ago, i discovered that whenever I'm in character, on stage, or in front of a camera, my stutter is almost non-existant. Even with…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Dec 2019

Biggest acting struggle

I'm working on a project and would appreciate hearing from you.... ​ I've chatted with a lot of actors over the last year. It seems the biggest struggles many actors have is ... 1. connecting with their character... and... 2. getting stuck in their head ( which hurts their ability to create authentic emotions) M…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Dec 2019

Acting classes

Is there anything wrong with majoring in acting classes in college? My friends tell me it’s a waste of time and that most actors never went to college and it makes me overthink what I want to do in life

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Dec 2019

I want to join reality tv

As a kid I always wanted to be an actor I been in a few school plays, I did a commercial for Jacob Javits and a music video. I been on a couple auditions and my lack of experience makes me doubt my acting capability. But what I do know is that I’m a social person who likes to party and get to know people. I have a grea…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Dec 2019

Voice actors needed for ambitious minecraft project!

Superrollomovies (known from San andreas myth busters back in the early days of YouTube) is working on an animated minecraft series. Not too much will be spoiled, but if you're interested in doing some (unpaid, sadly) voice acting work for a fun project, reply here and /or send an email to info@rjgfilms.com Any talent…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Dec 2019

Actors stage presence

I’m not too sure about what it’s called but how come, someone like timothee chalamet or Lucas hedges (newcomers) have such large stage presence compared to a supporting/extra role with 3 lines? Like they are both human recorded on the same camera...so what about their acting is making Lucas hedges and timothee chalamet…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Dec 2019

Looking for two voice actors for a short film

**Synopsis of film:** The short is about a disgraced police officer, JJ, who killed his partner in the field. It shows his attempts to finally get back on top and the turmoil he feels from his alienation from the other officers. **Characters:** **Norm** Norm is still on somewhat friendly with JJ even after all of the u…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Dec 2019

Questions For Canadian Actors

First off I want to say how I’ve been a part of this group for a week now and how crazy supportive everyone is, this seems like a really tight knit group which I love seeing. Now with that out of the way a little background about me, my name is Enayat and I have been acting for a little bit now, I took drama in middle…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Dec 2019

[HIRING] for indie videogame intro

Hi, Looking for voice actors for Indie videogame. I need 3 actors. I am looking for people with general american accent. Here is list of characters with number of lines/words: Angie: 13 lines/152 words Woman, around 23. Very kind and gentle, loving. She is very protective of her family, but not in a pathologic way. She…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Dec 2019

What exactly makes Adam Driver a great actor?

It seems like everyone in the world is in agreement right now that he’s the best actor working right now. Obviously there’s a lot to be learned from the best in the game but I was just wondering what other more experienced people noticed that he does well that can be educational to watch

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Dec 2019

Retiring From Acting (for now) a rant

I've been an actor for the last 10 years. I started in high school in my senior year. My first ever play was Mother Courage & Her Children (i know, a terrible play for a high school). While the show was panned by the students and faculty alike, I caught the bug. I knew right away that acting was the career I want to ta…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Dec 2019

Best places to live in LA for acting?

Hey fellow actors, I'm going to be moving to LA next month for a gig that I booked where I'll be there for the rest of 2020. I'm currently looking at different options for housing (looking for a studio/1-bedroom apartment). As an actor, where should I want to place myself? The studio I'll be working at is in Downtown L…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Dec 2019

Can you give examples of actors that started at 18?

I’m starting the film industry at 17, and when i see actors that I like in my shoes and in movies I always look them up to see when they started acting, and it was always as a child. I am always discouraged seeing this because I worry that I will never make it since I started too late. Does anyone have good examples of…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Dec 2019

Practicing emotion and conveying feelings through tone

Hey guys! I am not a voice actor but a rapper. However, I need the wisdom and advice of you guys, the voice acting community. I am trying use my voice and introduce better inflections to drive emotions home. I feel I have a good overall tone and voice that sounds nice but I want to bring more dynamic energy, express em…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Dec 2019

Is there any actor/actress in here with social anxiety?

My social anxiety is holding me back when I'm acting in auditions(I haven't been on set yet). My body just becomes stiff, heart racing and I become self conscious. My dream is to be an actor but these are the problems I have because of social anxiety. I don't want this to hold me back. Is there any actor or actress her…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Dec 2019

Finding a monologue from TV/Film Help?

Hi all! So, I'm mainly a stage actor, so I'm used to finding monologues by reading plays. However, I have an audition with a casting agency coming up soon, and I need a monologue from TV/Film. How should I go about finding a monologue? Should I just watch a good show or movie?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

Female Voice Actor Wanted

In need of female voice acting talent. It's about a four to five line script. I'm new to hiring voice talent so I don't know typical pricing but if $10 a line works for you then please contact me. The role doesn't ask for anything too special. The character (without getting into too much detail for the sake of this pos…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

YO.

The last few days I have noticed an influx of "HELP I'M NEVER GONNA WORK AGAIN ETC" posts. Here's the thing: You will work again. The side bar has a ton of info. Do your research. Have all of your materials up to date. Save your money for classes/marketing materials/joining the union when you have to. The job of an act…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

ISO voice actor that can sound like Han Solo (Harrison Ford)

I need a VA for an upcoming project of a Star Wars fanfic. I need a solid Han Solo sound alike. The compensation will be negotiated depending on your rates. Please send me a sample by pm here or to bobbyjohnford@gmail.com. Just have your lines for the sample by some lines from the original movies.

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

I’m going to be the next big actor

Just kidding, but whenever I watch a YouTube video about acting I see a few comments like this and I just find it funny. Also, I have a quick question. I think I’m finally ready to start putting myself out there more in regards to acting, but I don’t have proper headshots. Right now, I have a bit of acne. Should I wait…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

Pilot Season Rookie

As pilot season is nearing, it will be my first time taking part!! Excited but, is it extremely rare to get auditions for tv shows without an agent? I heard that you can only get access to submit to major shows (Actors Access)if you are represented. Is this true?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Dec 12

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

Levels?

I’ve been reading a lot about levels in acting. Lower level managers and agents, upper level actors, etc., and I’m curious what people mean. Are there stages of being an actor and what are they? And how do you go from one level to another and can you expect upward movement just by being in the game or is this just luck…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

[Hiring] Video Game Voice Acting

We're looking for around 13 voice actors, each to record around 80 words plus 20 short emotional sounds (gasps, groans, "hmm", "tsk" etc) to be used in an, indie video game. All voices are adult (between the ages of 20 and 40) and all will be spoken in English. Specifically we're seeking female actors native to England…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

Should I do the expensive headshot?

I’m an aspiring actress, and I am trying to get my first headshot done. In my city there is a very reputable lady whose work is amazing but around 550$. Obviously these headshots would be the goal, but should I just fork over the 550$ (even though I could only book for April leaving me without good headshots for 4 mont…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

Research Suggestions for "Nora" from A Doll House

Hi everyone, I am currently doing intensive character work and research for "Nora" from Ibsen's "A Doll House" and I'd like to know if anyone knows any material that might be helpful to my research about the character. Any movies, books, documentaries, etc.? My current problem in doing this character at the moment is t…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

Robert Pattinson

I’m new to this sub, you guys have awesome insights and conversations that I love to have with other people. I’ll try and add another one. How do you guys feel about Robert being casted as Batman. He’s quickly becoming one of my favorite actors along with Christian Bale, Denzel and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Dec 2019

Acting Families

I have a simple question. Why most of the time families in movies and tv shows are made up of actors that are strangers instead of using a whole family thats a real family irl?? Sorry if its a dumb question i have no knowledge at all about acting or that field.

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

Why is it so hard to get an agent in a small market?

I got professional headshots down a couple of months ago and been applied to all of the agencies in my area twice already. Even the lower rated ones. I’m trying to figure out why I’m not hearing a response from ANY of them. My resume isn’t super thick but I’ve checked out other actors’ resumes that are with the agencie…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

How much should I pay?

Question about paying voice actors! I’m in the very very early stages of developing an indie game all by myself — I’m not putting any money into this because I’m broke and I’ll be doing all the writing, art, and coding by myself. The only thing is, I most definitely can’t do voice acting for 17 different characters by…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

Acting?

I am interested in becoming an actress, but I am afraid in the end it will not work out and I would have just wasted my time. Thoughts?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

Talent Link?

I know industry referrals are best for an agent, but I was wondering if anyone here had success with Talent Link through Actor’s Access?

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

How to be a supportive partner to my actor SO

Hey all, I know this isn't a typical post on this sub but I'm looking for specific advice. My boyfriend and I are graduating college, him in a few weeks, me in a few months. I have a full-time job lined up and plan on supporting us as he gets his career underway. This is something we've talked about extensively. We're…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

Hamilton Duo Interp. : Performed by Jesus Santos & Tavan Thomas

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1OfG-9hAxk&feature=share](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1OfG-9hAxk&feature=share) Nationals 2017 - Duo Interpretation - Democracy Prep Bronx Prep Like & Share Kids from the Bronx who want to make a living by living their dreams as actors! The Musical Hamilton has inspired many and w…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

Feeling horrible. Need to vent and get advice

So I'm 25 years old. Just started in drama school. Last year I was in foundation in drama school and am now getting my BA acting. I've been working hard to get into drama school and sacrificed so much. I just got out of meeting where I've been told I have failed acting unit. Me shocked, started crying in front of the t…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

Is acting slowly driving me insane?

So I'm a beginning actor, been attending weekly classes for 2 months now. In between classes I am doing voice work exercises, reading stamisvalski uta hagen, chekhov pretty much anything that helps me. I read plays out loud to myself every week, do monologues and script analysis. Despite being new to this and not havin…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

LA Casting Sites

Hello all! I've been in LA nearly 3 months now, started acting recently, and would like to see how much of my monthly income I can make from it. As such, I'm going to invest to get on more of the casting sites and see how much more work that brings in. I am currently on LACasting (has been great) and Actor's Access (di…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

For Extras & Background Actors

For all my film and TV extras / background actors.... Press Release: [STANLEY, A Brand Of PMI, Launches New Recognition For Background Actors After Hollywood Ignores Request To Add Categories To Existing Award Shows](https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/stanley-a-brand-of-pmi-launches-new-recognition-for-background…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

Temp Job Before The REAL Job...But

Howdy, So this is a problem I've been thinking about a lot lately--how do you tell your employer that you need to leave for an audition--Without getting fired? Are you completely transparent about it and let them know you're an actor or do you just tell them you have a doctors appointment? Obviously, this is a temporar…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

First Short Film, Director Seems Really Unprofessional

So I decided a couple months ago that I wanted to start acting again (haven't since high school) mostly as a hobby, I've done some extra work and got cast in a short film for a brand new production studio. I was really excited about the film, but it's been completely disorganized and doesn't feel right to me. The film…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Dec 2019

BOOKED my first ACX narration on 2nd audition! ($70/pfh)

Brand new narrator here! But I'm a classically-trained actor from a pretty uppity conservatory program so I guess that's a huge leg-up in terms of artistry. Signed up on Monday for ACX, submitted two auditions yesterday and uploaded two samples, only to have an offer of $70/pfh for a 50k word horror thriller this morni…