Acting forums, all in one place

19,658 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2022

Creating your own custom contract for work ?

I have been cast in a student short film and was wondering about creating my own contract for it that states things like (I will get the footage, will be invited to any screenings, etc.) I have heard of bad experiences with student projects and also heard of actors creating their own contracts as an insurance policy I…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2022

What are your thoughts on Barry Keoghan’s audition for the riddler?

There has to be more right? Like no way he was booked just off of him walking down a hallway, also how do you feel about submitting an audition that way, you think the way the industry is changing should our self tapes now include more creativity and not just us behind a plain backdrop? Or because he is an established…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2022

Moving to LA or ATL from San Francisco to pursue acting with no experience

Hey r/acting! I'm a 31 year old software engineer living in San Francisco. I've always dreamt of becoming an actor, but haven't pursued it besides doing an acting class. One reason is that I've been morbidly shy, but have since grown out of it. It's now or never and I'm ready to take the first steps. I have a few optio…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2022

Getting an agent with only one or two scenes reel

I have taken some acting classes (including advanced) and have two lead scenes from my work, plus a bunch of acting credits (mostly background so nothing to show for those) . Both scenes are about two minutes but one is pretty well produced. Would this be enough to show an agency, or should I wait to have more (or even…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2022

OPINION: What I've learned (insert clickbait title here)

I've been doing voice acting for just over four years now and wanted to share a perspective that I've developed recently that I would have found immensely helpful to have back when I started. Obviously, this is based entirely on my own worldview and personal experience (and will probably be controversial to some), so t…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2022

How to find specific actors

Hello! I am looking to find actors (voice or live) who have performed in Geico, allstate, and statefarm commercials. Does anyone know how I can do that? Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2022

“Fake” reel footage?

Hey all, I’ve been in touch with a team who creates/produces scenes so you have some on-screen footage to submit to agents. An actor friend advised against it, saying agents can tell these are “fake” and may do more harm than good. I’ve seen footage from these guys and it looks really good, and I really need footage. D…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2022

Don't you just hate it when people say that you are quiet?

So somebody I know recently found out about my interest in acting and that I was taking classes. He told me he was surprised because apparently I'm "so quiet". This person is a regular at my workplace so I suppose I can be "quiet" but that's only if I'm focusing on my work I need to get done. Who DOESN'T get "quiet" wh…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2022

Actress has the perfect look, but not the right accent, help?

Hey all — I’m a working on a project in the middle of casting. We have a tape from an actress that has an incredible on-screen look. Would command scenes very well. Our only challenge is that she’s originally from Argentina and has an accent that’s pretty noticeable. Has anyone dealt with passing on an actor because of…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2022

Major CD reached out to audition

Major CD reached out to me via my personal contact/social to audition as the lead for a major network pilot they’re making. I have no idea how they even knew I was an actor based on my personal social and the only time I auditioned for their office was through an open call in the past which I’m pretty sure they didn’t…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2022

Acting in the UK

Hello, everyone! I was wondering if there have been any actors from American(personal experience or hearing) who have been able to do be part of any theaters in the UK, whether it’s RSC, the Globe, NT? A dream of mine has always been to be part of the NT cast!

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2022

Black Friday Shopping Part 3

This is the third post in the series, you can find the other two here (https://www.reddit.com/r/VoiceActing/comments/xjjgiw/black_friday_shopping_list_part_1/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share and here https://www.reddit.com/r/VoiceActing/comments/xn4ewi/black_friday_shopping_list_part_2/?utm_medium=android_app&u…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Oct 2022

Benefits of being in shape?

I am a male aspiring actor. Will being in great shape increase my marketability and chances of getting a role? I go to the gym 6x/week and have a decent build. It takes a lot of time and energy (gym, diet, etc) to maintain my physique. Is it worth maintaining, or even trying to get bigger? Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2022

When to tell new representation you are pregnant ??

Hello fellow actors! I am in the process of getting new representation( agent and manger) however, I am expecting. I was advised to wait until after I secure representation and until I am showing to announce to new rep. I am in the process of taking meetings with new rep. Should I tell them in the meeting I’m pregnant…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2022

Tired of projects that aren’t getting you anywhere?! High production value short film seeking actors/producers. NAME ACTOR. SAG. IMPORTANT TOPIC!!!

We’re tired of working on projects that aren’t fulfilling and aren’t furthering our careers so… We’re making one ourselves! Short film with NAME ACTOR, about IMPORTANT TOPIC and SAG production (but willing to Taft-Hartley for the right non-union talent) - looking to cast a few key roles. GREAT professional team. The ca…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2022

Hear after callback

If a casting director at a callback says you were fantastic.. called you a great actor and ended the Zoom session with “ See you soon”… does that mean you’re still in the running? Or is it safe to accept another job that starts on the same date? Its been two days (weekend included). Production starts in about a month..

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2022

How to deal with fear of losing an accent?

I have multiple accents and I have my favorite accent out of all them which I badly don't want to go away because I worked so hard for it. So these days, I find myself constantly analyzing other people's accents and often comparing myself with them. This is something I do unconsciously. I've heard of an another voice a…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2022

How do I fix my resting face to make it more neutral?

I've been told by film/tv casting directors, directors, and other actors that I'm good at reacting to other people's news (heartbreak, shock, fear, etc) and good when I'm saying a line. However, I apparently need to work on my resting face when I'm neutrally listening to something because I look kinda sad or blank even…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Oct 2022

Bail out of my role in a film?

I’m a newer actor - I’ve been training, self-submitting, and auditioning. Recently I went through an audition process and committed to a supporting role for a short film. The role isn’t large but from the sides I read for there was a fleshed out character, a reason for my character to exist in the script and help move…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2022

Leveling Up

Hello everyone! This question is for the people who’ve gotten to the point of booking guest star / co star roles and above.. I am an actor in LA that’s been doing the student film/ ultra low budget indie short grind for the last couple years and signed with a boutique agency a few months ago. I was wondering what thing…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2022

N/U Commercial Actors: Don't Make the Same Mistakes I Did

If you're a working non-union actor at the beginning of your career, this experience might be worth the read, especially if you do/plan on doing commercial work. They're expectant, deceitful, untimely, and predatory. Their casting calls are vague and omit most of their intended usage, strategically offer less than you'…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2022

Actors Access mistake

I submitted for a call back but forgot to save the changed name of "scene1_Name" so now the name of the vids are just random numbers. Is this fine or did i just screw my chances. Should i contact aa??

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2022

Any Actors/PC Gamers?

I am looking for actors that are involved in PC gaming, Have an opportunity to spread skill set and expand awareness. Also looking for someone Bilingual in Spanish/English. This is a start up production, that you can be involved with from your own computer while also gaining experience and knowledge. Just comment below…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2022

Lots of teen characters, not many teen actors…

I’m thinking about film in particular. I always figured teen characters were often played by older actors because they’d had more time to develop their skills—but is that actually true or is it for superficial reasons (acne being the first thing that springs to mind)? Young people can be decent actors—some children hav…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2022

Question about 2 Toronto Agencies

I’ve unfortunately been caught in the mess that has occurred with a formerly reputable talent agency in Toronto (if you know you know…) As a non union actor I have little protection…and little prospects

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Sep 2022

I need to sound old but I am 15

Hello, I am making a game where I need there to be a middle-aged or old, sounding male voice actor. The problem is, I am a 15-year-old male. My voice is quite deep, but I just don't sound old. Any tips? Is this even possible?

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2022

Backround / Actor Doubling in Film

Hey, folks. I'm not exactly the most experienced when it comes to in-person acting, primarily doing most of my work in Voice Work. However, I took a gig as a backround actor in an upcoming film. As it happens, I've also been selected to double an actor. Since I'm inexperienced, I'm trying to make sure things are on the…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2022

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Feedback

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2022

Where can I find casting calls/auditions without paying?

I don’t want to pay for Backstage but want to find casting calls/auditions in California. Can anyone help me with this? I’m a new 23 year old actor and have been in one local film and am looking for new opportunities. Here’s a clip of my acting: https://youtube.com/shorts/QW0CkaZkSAg?feature=share . How do I get in con…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2022

Director/Actor dynamic.

What’s good Y’all, I’m a filmmaker/cinematographer leaning into directing. I noticed when I’m on sets, directors don’t not understand how to work with actors or their process. It’s simply, here are the lines…now say it. There’s no letting the actor explore the character with the help/critique from a director. I’m curio…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2022

Actors' Equity EPA Auditions

Can anyone tell me how EPA auditions are currently being run in New York? I stopped auditioning this way when the pandemic hit, but I assume the EPAs have resumed. No one answers the phone at the union office, so getting info from someone there is difficult.

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Sep 2022

How often does your commercial agent get you auditions?

My manager connected me with and I signed with an agent commercially in early august and I haven't yet received any auditions from them. The agency is in the top 150 on IMDbPro and the agent only Reps about 77 people themself. So I thought I'd ask other actors. How often does your commercial Rep get you commercial audi…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Need 6-7 voices for 2-minute read of listener letters for podcast, a quick $10

Hello! I need 6-7 people to record and email me an audio file (m4a, wav, or mp3) of them reading the text of a written letter, for a podcast a few weeks away from launch. Scripts vary in length but are all less than 500 words-- some less than 30 seconds. I need both female and male-sounding voices, also open to gender-…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Any gift ideas for a female child actor?

Hi everyone, I'm not an actor, but a dear friend of mine has a daughter who is, and she's about to have her quinceanera, so I thought perhaps a nice acting-based gift would be called for here, since I'm going to splurge. The problem is I have no idea what to get a teenage child actor, so I thought to ask here, if anyon…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Salaries in Hollywood question.

Made this account just to find out an answer since google is saying actors make 30k a year. If there’s a better place to ask you can direct me there. So I’m watching Loot and came across Joel Kim Booster who is a great actor. I googled him to learn more and came across his net worth (which I know is 99% speculation bc…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Help/Question/Training

Evening everyone! I just need some solid advice from fellow VO actors. I feel like I'm sorta in a weird bubble and stand still. I have studied with Crispin Freeman, Mick Wingert, Paul Liberti, Ned Lott, Richard Horvitz, and currently Nancy Wolfson. I have a somewhat "okay" commercial demo that was made back in 2018/201…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Agent Wants Me to Join Union, I’m Unsure

Hi! I am based in Vancouver for context. I got my agent in April and have booked three things with them since then (a principal role, actor role and lead role, all union). After booking my third role they called me, nudging me in the direction of joining the union UBCP/ACTRA as now that I have 3 credits (I have enough…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Am I being unfair to my reps?

I’m a non-union actor based in Los Angeles. I’ve had my manager for 5 months now. At first things were pretty great, I was getting a good number of auditions that fit my casting and my goals fairly well. They’d also be pretty responsive within at least a couple days. I’ve booked once with them and gotten a few callback…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Sep 2022

Advice on being an extra?

I’m thinking of trying to be an extra in a movie but have no prior acting experience and no ambition to be an actor later in life. It’s something on my bucket list and I think it will be neat to look back on. Any advice for my situation? (I’m 14)