Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Sep 2022

This never made sense?

Over the years I’ve heard a few acting teachers and actors say … You ONLY use technique when things aren’t working.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2022

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Feedback

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2022

Acting BFA essay advice

Ok so college app season is starting to heat up and I’m struggling to write my creative statements and essays for drama programs. A super compact version of the idea I want to convey is such: I want to be an actor because I think that it is the most human form of storytelling, but I also think of it as more of a tool t…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2022

Non union

Agents who decide to sign non union actors, how do they go about that? Do they get the standard SAG contract?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2022

Question for Toronto Actors

Hey guys - I'm wondering if any Toronto talent can give me advice on looking for theatre auditions. I'm a working tv/film actor but my agent hasn't been able to find anything for me and I'm struggling on google. Currently non union. Is theatre still trying to come back from Covid?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2022

Mobilize in support of Mob’s English Voice Actor; Fight for Union Dubs

Crunchyroll has chosen to recast Mob’s English voice actor, I think it’s important to rally behind him and other English dub voice actors right now. There were voice actors who reported only making $150 before tax and with no residuals for their roles in jjk0. ​ [A voice actor from Jjk0 movie who was only paid $…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2022

Where should I start?

I know, it’s a really dumb question that’s been asked hundreds of times. But I’m just stuck at a crossroads as to where I should start as a voice actor. I’m 25 and can range from Princess Peach to passionate anime girl #58 and little boy #14, but I’m just stuck. To help with starting, I’m taking acting classes soon to…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2022

UK MA vs. Semester/Summer Classical Training - Incremental Value?

Hi! I'm a working actor (film/TV/VO; represented) in North America, and am really keen on doing some intensive classical acting training in the UK. I've been taking short courses over Zoom from RADA/CSSD/RCS this year, and loving them. I've been looking at the 1-year classical acting MA/MFA programs at LAMDA, CSSD, Bri…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Sep 2022

American actor hoping to work abroad!

Hi everyone! Just like the title says. I’m an American actor and I want to work abroad…not in typical settings like cruise ships or theatres. I mean that would be great but I’m specifically looking for something like this- in college I found out about a company in Italy that teaches the English language to children thr…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2022

Makeup for Coverup

Actors, what makeup do you use to coverup tattoos? Does it last all day? How do you apply it?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2022

Newbie Quick Q’s

24F. I’m finally pursuing my acting dream. I have 2 big questions. 1. Is being vaccinated a must? I’m a Texas resident and unvaccinated and only had COVID once back in 2020. I just have no desire to get the vax. But if it will help me land roles I will be open to getting it. 2. First time visiting a big time agency in…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2022

What should i do with my career?

Hello everybody! I just finished a 3 year acting course. Even though it isn't a uni, it's still something for my CV. In my country we only have one acting school. People say it's a really good one, but it looks like a very traditional one! I don't know if i want to follow the traditional path of an actor. Regardless of…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Sep 2022

Looking for showreel feedback (Meisner trained, predominately film actor)

Hi Y'all! Not 100% sure on if this is allowed. The feels like it might fit into the 'headshots feedback' category, but there wasn't anything explicitly about showreels in the FAQs or rules. Mods please let me know if there's somewhere better for me to post this! Basically, I'm from the UK and mostly a filmmaker (Writer…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2022

Legit casting call or not?

Found this in my local actors Facebook group. Even if it’s legit… it’s a bit weird. Firstly, it shoots out of my province (it says it covers airfare and accommodation), but why post in my LOCAL fb group? It says it wants the leads from my city but that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me if they’re not going through big…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2022

how do I add nominations/award on my acting resume?

I'm an actor and I was recently nominated for Best actor award and was awarded in another nomination in a film festival. I'm not sure if there is a proper way to include that in my resume or if I shouldn't add them at all. Any help would be appreciated

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2022

What is the charm and mystique of actors like brad pitt, tom cruise, denzel?

These actors never relied on physically large bodies to attract attention, these actors are so refined in the way they move, talk, walk and they have so much influence in the industry then you look at the actors now are relying on physicality they seem more like meatheads then actors, like chris hemsworth, will puolter…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2022

I really struggle with ruminating after auditions

I had an Audition today for a job that pays really well and would help me out a lot. I usually have a sense of when I do really well at an audition and those times I usually am less self critical and tend to get callbacks or if lucky, I get the role. This time I felt like I let myself down because I know I can do bette…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2022

Genuine Question about acting

Hi all, I have no background as an actor so to prepare for acting I started reading books by Constantin Stanislavski and Larry Moss. Rarely do I ever read books but these ones were so interesting about how they coach actors to reveal their emotions in the scene (essentially make them better actors) I absolutely loved i…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2022

Where to find professional actors

I am looking for actors who can film their own short videos and send them to me. Is there a good place to find this kind of professional quality? I have been asking actors on Facebook but the quality is not consistent.

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Sep 2022

Any actors out there with dreadlocks?

i don't have dreads but I have twists in my hair. I am debating whether or not I want them to lock. I like the look of locs, but I worry it would hinder potential roles. truthfully I am growing out a afro and I love it but even that seems to maybe hinder roles, because most black men in film have mostly had low cuts. I…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

Weekend Auditions - Rant

I want to preface this post by saying that I'm very grateful to be an actor who gets a lot of auditions. But I'm also allowed to be grateful and exhausted at the same time. Is anyone else overwhelmed with weekend auditions? I wish casting wouldn't be allowed to do this. I feel like as actors, we work so hard to get fle…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

As an actor, what kind of paperwork do you look for on a short film?

So I getting ready to direct my first "real" short film. I say "real" because it involves me actually casting people and not just asking my friends. It's a really small short film thought as it is really just me with a camera and two actors. However, I do not know the actors personally ( I found them on a Facebook acti…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

How should I use Twitter as an actor?

I’ve been toying with different social medias to use for promoting things I do like writing or performances. I thought that it would be a nice thing to have as an aspiring writer/actor. I have an instagram and TikTok and know how to use those apps. The one that I don’t know how to use is Twitter. I know it’s older, but…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

[Acting Question] What is an Actor's Range and Can an Actor Expand This Range?

Hey /Acting, I just had an interesting question that I knew to some extent, but I am just curious to know from the community-at-large about what is an actor's range, and can an actor expand this range at any point in their career? Thanks, take care. I'll be reading for your thoughtful responses. :)

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

We’ve opened a new theatre supporting grass-root artists!

Hi everyone! My partner and I have opened a new black box theatre in South East London called The Pen Theatre. We opened in January and have already had a couple of amazing seasons filled with fringe theatre, stand up, spoken word, music, scratch nights and more. We’ve loved it, and so have the performers, writers and…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

What is an acting/actor’s profile?

What exactly is an acting/actor’s profile? What do you need to do? Is it just an headshot of yourself with informations like height, etc. or a video of you from all angles, introducing yourself & saying informations or is it your acting resume with a picture of yourself on it? When agencies tell you to send your profil…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

Any experience with MovieLux Artist Management?

London-based actors! Just received a contract with them which is full of typos. I can't find much about them but they seem okay. Does anyone have experience with them and should I avoid them?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

Research question?

Actors hired to attend funerals, weddings or something similar, what are your stories?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

Manager Q

I just met with a manager at a big named LA management company—which I was super lucky to get. I really liked them for their realism. This industry is tough, and I feel like so often people speak in grandiose terms of what “success” looks like, and they were very realistic when setting expectations. I jived with them,…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

Paul Sinacore - SAG-AFTRA Says Boone Helm and B.E.K Are Not Union Productions

I just got off the phone with SAG-AFTRA. Neither Boone (or Boone Helm) nor B.E.K are now or have ever been union productions. It's suggested -- especially with Actors Access posts -- that actors check with SAG first before prepping for an audition that is from an unknown CD or seems even slightly suspicious. It also do…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

Do you book with Self Tapes?

Getting so discouraged!! Before COVID I was a *working*\-working actor and that was just my job: AEA and SAG-e, I was booked straight for 2 years out of school! I LOVED auditioning. I feel I do really well in the room. I'm mostly in theater, but do small to tiny roles in film and shitty TV. Since COVID? Nothing. I feel…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Sep 2022

I NEED HELP : I need some feedback about a event flyer I’m creating

I’m going to be doing a Q&A webinar this week and I’m currently working on my flyer. Everything is very last min. I’m having trouble figuring out my text to add to it. So I turn to anyone who is currently working or aspiring to be a working actor in model. If you are currently working what are three things that you WAN…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2022

I'm an underaged Voice Actor

I know the tittle sounds overconfident but hear me out. I(16M) did voice acting work for a summer-job, however I was never officially hired or received money due to my age. I had to stop since the websites I used never allowed for minors to receive employment with guardian approval. Throughout that period of looking fo…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2022

Natural talent for acting, how can I make it a career?

Many of my family and friends have always told me that I have a talent for acting and I should use it more. However, I never went about doing this. How do I become an actor, ya know, one of those on the popular TV shows and Hollywood films. I know it doesn’t start there but how could I get there? I also think I have th…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2022

I am a new director/cinematographer looking for collaboration

Hi I am a new director in the LA area. I have directed and produced a few short films and realized i need a lot more experience to get to the next level. So i would like to collaborate with local actors/actress if you need a director to help build your reel. I have full equipment and am available to shoot in the evenin…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2022

My boyfriend hates my acting classes

I’m not saying my boyfriend is right or wrong, I just want to tell someone about this because I feel like I can’t tell anyone I know in real life without hurting their feelings. He’s not an actor. We just moved in together a few months ago. Before we moved in, he seemed interested in what my classes were all about and…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2022

How do voice actors manage to sound so younger than they really are?

In animation, most young adult/teenage/children characters are actually voiced by adult voice actors. My question is: how do voice actors manage to sound so much younger than they really are? Guys like Josh Keaton, James Arnold Taylor and Yuri Lowenthal are in their 40s/50s but still manage to voice young kids convinci…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Sep 2022

Getting Auditions

Hello everyone, I've been interested in acting for a while now. I've been busy with life, so pushed it on the back burner. I've always wondered how to get scripts sent to you, or where to send self audition tapes so I'm reaching out to reddit hoping for some answers! I've done a little investigating and this is what I…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Sep 2022

What would you bumped into a very successful actor consistently?

Just wondering as an inspiring actor if you were to see A list actor semi regularly, like at a cafe, is it inappropriate to try to progress your career through them? To show them your reel and ask them for any tips/tricks to the industry. Or is it inappropriate and rude?

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Sep 2022

Out of curiosity

Let’s imagine a situation where I’ve been an actor in Japan for about 7-10 years and I decided to move to the US( keeping in mind that I have an amazing level of English already). Combined with my previous experience, will it take long for me to actually get consistent roles and what might be the difficulties?

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Sep 2022

REMINDER ABOUT KARMA...

**To all the new** r/VoiceActing **members, welcome! We're really glad you've joined the sub!** This is just a (okay, *not*\-so) brief reminder about what this sub requires of you to post and make comments. All of us mods really want people to be able to interact and exchange ideas and experiences, BUT our mod-box is p…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Sep 2022

RUSSAIN DIALECT HELP NEEDED

Hello, I'm an actor here in the states, and I'm working on a Project for a studio. I need help with the Russian dialect. If anyone here could help that would be great. I would just send you the sides and I would ask you to record yourself speaking the lines, just so I can learn from listening. Please let me know ASAP!…