Acting forums, all in one place

19,658 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Oct 2022

3 Helpful Tips for you beginners in Voice Over

Hey Reddit! My name is Chris, I am a character and commercial voice actor with 5 years of voice acting under my belt. I just created a new channel I hope will help new voice actors grow. I'm going to be making videos on Audacity Tutorials, Voice Acting Tips, Business growth and marketing tips, Dealing with common misco…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Oct 2022

A few conversations with agency regarding submissions

Hey r/acting, just needing a sounding board, and appreciate the input I’ve been thinking of bringing up a few things with my agents. For background, I’m in Vancouver signed to a full-service boutique agency that reps a good range of artists, from developing talent to actors that are co-represented by top ten US agencie…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Oct 2022

How hard is it being an Asian American actor?

For major tv shows, motion pictures and animation vo.. how many get called back? My child is into acting and always gets called back by major networks such as Nick and Disney but he’s never actually booked anything. He got started two years ago and has a short resume. I keep telling him that he should be proud of getti…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Oct 2022

Booked my first role, but I’m pretty nervous

So I’ve been trying out acting for a few months now and have done probably 10 auditions or so. And I booked my first role, which is really exciting but also super nerve wracking because it’s also the lead. I’m not too sure how much I can actually say about it other than that it’s a short, but the cast and crew is not a…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Oct 2022

I can't give a full-bodied yell :(

Hello, I've been aspiring to be a voice actor for a while and I've been practicing and I'd like to think I've got *some* acting skill HOWEVER; it doesn't mean shit when your voice can't handle anything remotely strong. I just can't scream. Like, when getting to a certain volume, you'd need to raise your pitch to go hig…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Oct 2022

Agency Question?

Hi guys!! I have a quick question about agencies. So I'm currently signed with an agent in a smaller market and am looking to branch out and find an agent in a nearby larger market. I'm an 18 tpy actress (I look too young to even play anything above 18) and am confused about if I submit to the youth or adult division.…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Oct 2022

[HIRING] Voice actor needed, lines need delivered within 24 hours! [PAID]

Hey there, long story short our original voice actor did not come through. We run a Tik-Tok page that posts sports related animated shorts. We have 20.5k followers and average 50-170k views, with some reaching 3 million! Because of the time it takes to animate the cartoons we need the voice-work delivered as soon as po…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Oct 2022

Breakdowns on the weekend on actors access

I'm new to acting and I saw online about how you could find good casting calls on Actors Access. I have a full time job from Monday through Friday, so I can't really be asking for permission during weekdays, unless it's a really good role. So, in order to start gaining experience and start building a resume for acting…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Oct 2022

ADVICE NEEDED. HELP PLEASE.

I recently got cast as Borachio in my college theatre production of Much Ado About Nothing. I was really gunning for the role of Benedick, and I was convinced that I was going to get it. But instead, I feel like I got the short end of the straw and now I’m VERY disappointed. In fact, I’m rather PISSED. I have so many q…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Oct 2022

Self Tapes Should Be Paid (Rant)

This is a rant because I am tired of this industry and how they treat actors. This new age of self tapes is ridiculous. Basically we are expected to setup lights and camera and PROVIDE THE READER and edit the damn thing and submit it to casting!!?? These are all things that casting is supposed to do … and guess what?!…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Oct 2022

book and cd

I ve done 2 parts in 2 series where they also hire amateur actors and now I will take acting classes to be able to do this professionally maybe next year. Do you guys think I need to make my book now or leave it for later ?

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Oct 2022

Techniques Allergic Reaction

Hello, I have a role that requires me to feign having an allergic reaction. Do any experienced actors have techniques for quickly turning red in the face, sweaty, teary-eyed, or anything else symptom of a food allergy? (I feel like turning red in the face would be particularly convincing but I can’t just throw a bunch…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Oct 2022

NYCastings is awful

Sorry, this is just to vent because I have had almost every casting platform over the past 5 years but have had so many issues with NYCastings I don't even know if it's worth the cheaper subscription cost...Every time I log in I check the mark that says "keep my logged in" but then as soon as I try to submit for a job,…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Oct 2022

The Ultimate 30 Rock Quiz - Season 6

# [Welcome to the Ultimate 30 Rock Quiz - Season 6!](https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/1ulFbOXe) If you haven't already taken the previous seasons' quizzes, they can be found here! [Season 1](https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/eJhF2Z2X) [Season 2](https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/N1js8xxC) [Season 3](https://freeonlinesurvey…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Oct 2022

Actors Bible

This is to new people and to people who are lost or demotivated when it comes to dramatic arts. Stanislavski The system should be treated as a guide and base for your acting career.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Oct 2022

I'm new to acting and want to be an actor someday. Any Tips?

I'm 14 just getting into acting and I've fallen in love with it. I have signed up for theater class, preformed in the latest play and have been in choir for 4 years with multiple solos. Do you all have any tips that I should know getting into this field?

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Oct 2022

Joker voice actor needed

Hello everyone, I am a Lego stop motion creator by the name of Silly Boy on YouTube. Here’s a link to my channel if you’re interested: https://youtube.com/channel/UCAae8MbTTuSSqR9m1cgqqKw My newest video I’m working on will be a short “A DEATH IN THE FAMILY” video depicting the death of Jason Todd. I’m almost done edit…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Oct 2022

Networking Filmmakers party? nyc

do anyone know where i can find a filmmakers/ actors party in nyc. I missed one last month and it seems interesting

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Oct 2022

WeAudition slow for anyone else?

I love the resource, use it as an actor and reader all the time. Of course the site has some flaws but no need to get into that here. As a reader, I've been getting \*zero\* requests suddenly? I have about 50 positive 5-star reviews and whenever I logged on I would usually get at least one request in a sitting. There a…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Oct 2022

Is it easy for an actor to remember who they worked with over the years?

For example, for those that have been acting for decades, would they remember a crew member or actor they used to talk to during the filming of one movie 35 years ago? If so, how common is it to remember, stay in touch, or even forget people throughout your career?

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Oct 2022

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Feedback

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Oct 2022

Dream Team Talent Agency (Atlanta)

Auditioning for Dream team talents Atlanta Division does anyone know if they are a good agency and get their actors auditions frequently?

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Oct 2022

Looking for Voice Actor for Mobile Game

Greeting! I have a medieval fantasy game I am building for mobile. I am looking for two actors to record their voices for the games introduction. I am looking for a female voice actor who can record a 7 paragraph script speaking as a elf. I also need a male who can record the same script speaking as a dwarf.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Oct 2022

Is it worth to get an agent if you are just starting out?

Hi all! I've been asking dumb questions all over this wonderful subreddit and of course on my journey to becoming a va more of these come up. I got a little role in a videogame demo, which made me happy. It's by no means perfect. It's over acted and made under a blanket, but it's a start. I want to become a videogame v…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Oct 2022

Acting classes in New York?

Hey everyone, I’m visiting New York in November and I’d love to experience a New York acting class looking for recommendations for any drop in acting classes I could attend for professional actors. I am hoping for either an just a short evening class but all I can find are long courses. Any suggestions would be great.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Oct 2022

The acting class I’m in sucks what do I do

The city I currently live in isn’t renowned for its acting but I joined an 8 week acting class to keep up my training as I do auditions off in the city. The first class was tonight and man, I hate it. Firstly, I’m a 20 year old woman and 90% of the class is 60+ year old men so don’t know what that’s about. Secondly, I’…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Oct 2022

Seeking very specific 2-woman (or gender neutral) comedy scenes from TV

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum but not new to acting! I'm a bilingual (eng/한국어) acting coach and I've recently taken on a new client. She is a very well-established actor, but is just starting to learn how to act in English. She tackled her first monologue like a champ, and now we're moving into dualogue work. The o…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Oct 2022

How much leash do agents usually give actors when they first sign them?

Just passed the one year mark since I signed with my agent. We have a great relationship and I've gotten a few pencils, callbacks and have auditioned for some cd's multiple times but no bookings yet. Just got updated headshots and got my showreel sorted a few weeks ago as well. Is there a point where you would start wo…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Oct 2022

Should I stick with my Talent Agency? (Chicago)

I'm a part of a boutique agency in Chicago. In the last 5 months, I've had 3 theatrical and 8 commercial auditions. Is this too slow? I'll note that I am a relatively new actor so that may be why and I should just have more patience.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Oct 2022

How do I get more audition call-backs for lead and supporting roles as a new actor?

I live in Los Angeles and have been acting for two years. I use Backstage and Central Casting but have gotten way more background roles than any audition call-backs. How can I get more roles for lead and supporting? I have professional headshots and a demo scene, as well as one IMDB credit. What else can I do to get mo…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Oct 2022

SAG-AFTRA actors: vibe check?

Hey all, I've been in the union for 10 years now; I've learned more about what happened before I joined, and I've seen a lot happen to the VO folks of the union since joining, and it is hard not to be angry. Voice-over is rarely treated like a full-fledged career in the union, and it usually is approached more from the…

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Oct 2022

Actor compensation

Hi all, have a question that would like to ask for opinion, currently l'm new in acting and got casted by a project it stated it has some compensation…... Well during the production day the production house didn't ask me to act much basically nth much did maybe just one shoot for few seconds?not sure if they recorded t…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Oct 2022

Casting director's explanation of which audition wins

> *"I listen for one authentic moment—which most auditions have zero of—and then figure we'll bring you into the studio and get a few more moments out of you."* Another useful quote I remember: "Well-trained actors sound like non-actors. Non-actors sound like bad actors." ([What is Voiceover](http://whatisvoiceover.com…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Oct 2022

Joining Spotlight via recommendation

Has anyone done this? For background: I'm British but I've been in the States since high school age, so my acting agent is based here. I know Spotlight changed a little in pandemic so that actors can use a recommendation from an agent (that is part of the Talent Agent's Association? on mobile so I can't 100 percent che…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Oct 2022

Online Acting Masterclass

I’m taking about the ones with actors such as Samuel L Jackson, Natalie Portman, Helen Mirren, etc. on masterclass.com. Has anyone done them? Are they work the 15/month (which is pretty cheap compared to some others? What was your experience?

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Oct 2022

Feeling competitive

Hi guys, so I just joined a film acting group to gain some experience and there’s a ton of amazing resources and networking and I’m very excited. However one problem I have is feeling like the other actors are not my friends but more like competition. Even the guys and girls that don’t even look like me?? But at the sa…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Oct 2022

Do below the line agents ever rep actors?

So I had a situation the other night where I was at work waiting tables at my restaurant and i waited on a woman who basically told me she was a producer and asked for my info, she seemed normal and nice so i gave it to her, long story short she emailed me and told me she had a friend who "used to work at X agency and…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Oct 2022

Ralph Macchio acting technique

Ralph Macchio being my favourite actor, I wonder which acting techinque he uses. Is it The method, Meisner, any other???

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2022

Actors - How do you afford living in Los Angeles?

I am looking at apartments and I honestly can't find anything safe/decent for less (around $2,500+ w/utilities). I know people live with roommates but honestly I'm at the age where I really don't want to live with so many people. If you are living alone, please share how you can afford to live in LA as an actor?

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2022

Actor type

Hey yall. If you have time please answer the form to the best of your ability. All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you[https://forms.gle/MWLckeSVD7pWz8Sv6](https://forms.gle/MWLckeSVD7pWz8Sv6)

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2022

Creating your own custom contract for work ?

I have been cast in a student short film and was wondering about creating my own contract for it that states things like (I will get the footage, will be invited to any screenings, etc.) I have heard of bad experiences with student projects and also heard of actors creating their own contracts as an insurance policy I…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Oct 2022

Tips for getting the most out of Actors Access?

After doing some background work and fruitlessly applying for student films and commercials on Backstage and Casting Networks, I think I'm going to focus my efforts on Actors Access. I know it's the most reliable and highest quality out of the bunch. However, the interface is super weird and I hate how they charge you…