Acting forums, all in one place

19,645 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 5 Apr 2018

Leaving My Agency: how should I go about pitching to other agents in my city?

I'm an actor from Toronto and have been with the same agency for 4 years. Things haven't worked out on both sides and I'm looking for a change of scenery. Should I be emailing agents through a casting site (Casting Workbook has an ePitch service for example and all my information in one place) or should I send emails w…

Backstage

Backstage · 4 Apr 2018

[Office Hours] feat. Social Media Expert Heidi Dean, Part II

We're hosting a brand new Backstage Office Hours session with social media professional and Backstage Expert, Heidi Dean on Thursday, April 5, 2018 starting at 4pm ET. For 24 hours, Heidi will be returning to the Backstage Community forums for her second Office Hours session! Join the conversation as she...

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2018

Monologue, mimic source or improvise?

Just finished recording a monologue from a Christopher Nolan movie. Question is, is it cool to mimic the source actor's mannerisms and inflection? I definitely got into character and delivered from feeling. It wasn't exactly like the source actor, but it was very close. Is that likely to be seen as cool that I can mimi…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2018

Too old?

Hey all- all I’ve ever wanted was to be an actor. Right after highschool I got an agent and started auditioning. This went on for years and I would always audition and I never really got big roles. Then I took a break and worked in other creative industries. Now I’m 25 and I realize that all I wanna do is act still. I’…

Reddit

Reddit · 4 Apr 2018

Can I self-submit if I sign with an agency?

I'm wondering if it is better to wait to get more indie short film credits before signing with an agency. Can I keep self-submitting once I sign with an agency or should 100% rely on them? What if they only submit frequent booking actors?

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2018

Hello from a musician seeking to learn from actors!

Hello everyone! I have been reading this subreddit regularly, but have been shy to join this reddit community, until today! I am actually a classical musician (from the traditional and, at times, snobbish music world). I always felt something was missing in music study that I was only able to find out what it was throu…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2018

[OFFER] VA/Stage Actor

Hi there, I'm C. I am an experienced actor and of course I am wanting to do it full time, as most actors do. If there is anybody in need of a voice actor I would be ecstatic to fill the role. I do not have any standard rights as of now, in addition to the fact that workload from project to project differ. I have been a…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2018

What do you do when you work with a private teacher/coach?

Even mods can have basic questions! I asked this in someone else's post but didn't get an answer so I thought I'd throw it out here. I see people here talking often about working with a private teacher or coach instead of a class with several students in it, and that has always confused me. I understand working with a…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2018

Bit of a complicated question

Okay so basically back in early march I auditioned for this feature film I really wanted. After the audition I didn't hear back. So about 3 weeks after the audition I emailed the director (this is how we had our initial back and forth convo) just telling her even if I wasn't right for the part I was willing to be an ex…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2018

How can I analyze de Marlon Brando and Meryl Streep technique ?

Hi! I'm working on my "bachelor tesis" from Audiovisual communication (don't know exactly if that's the definition"). The thing is that as i'm a acting student too, my teacher suggested me to research about the american acting techniques, and analyze the work of actors such us Marlon Brando and Meryl Streep and found t…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2018

Anyone with experience with TVI Actors Studio out of LA?

I'm going to a little workshop in Kansas City tonight being put on by TVI. Just curious if anyone around here is familiar with them, apparently they offer a five day "actor's immersion" program where you get to meet with 25 different talent agents and casting directors but I can't find anything about the price of that…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Apr 2018

Actor Headshots Atlanta/Charlotte?

Anyone have any recommendations for actor headshot photographers in the Southeast? Preferably, ATL or Charlotte. Doing some research on my own, but would love input from others' experiences.

Backstage

Backstage · 2 Apr 2018

Retouching Service

I had some great headshots taken, but now I'm looking for a good place to have them retouched. I'm in the LA area, but since this is a pretty easy thing to take care of via email, are there any recommendations/people you guys like to use for retouching headshots?

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2018

Scene partner won’t make eye contact

Hey, so I’ve just started rehearsals for a great play with a pretty uniformly great cast. However one of my fellow actors won’t make eye contact when we’re doing scenes together but instead will look about six inches to the side of my face. I've only encountered this a couple times with other people throughout my fifte…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2018

Ways to improve diction as an actor?

I've always struggled with my diction due to a speech impediment I had when I was younger. Due to my growing love for theatre and performance, for the past few months I've been improving it slowly by counting 1-180 fairy often and pronouncing it the best I can. I also do small things such as say words the best I can in…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2018

Circle of trust, Actors only

Any fellow actors want to join my circle of trust, I was thinking about who I’ll trust with my key, and y’all are it. pM me for key. Let’s not betray guys!

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2018

Is 20 too old to become an actor?

Im a 20 yr old sophomore in college but I dont think this is my passion. I know most of the actors we see have been acting since they were children. I have no prior acting experience, is it too late to start an acting career?

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Apr 2018

Best Agency for film actors in SF/Bay?

I want to try to submit myself to some agency to see what happens. I'm in San Francisco and was tired of doing student films(And many of them didn't even finish post production) and self submitting via sfcasting where you can see very limited film/TV opportunity. Which agency is best for film actors in SF?

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 1 Apr 2018

Newby

Good day/evening! I wanted to pop in and introduce myself. My name is Kellie VonBank and I am finally taking a couple steps towards fulfilling life long interests. I'm 41 years old and haven't done anything in front of a camera for production since 1995. Any tips, suggestions, or advice on how to get my foot in a door,…

Backstage

Backstage · 1 Apr 2018

NY Agencies List

Is there a list floating about for NY agencies? I know there's one for LA that has them sorted into "tiers". I just moved to NY from LA, and a list like that would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2018

Stanislavsky Vs. All-Other Styles

Recently I read an article about the differentiation between the styles of acting and how the deviation from Stanislavsky’s original is all it is (Hagen, Adler, Meisner). In your opinion, what do you see as the differences between the styles? As a new actor to LA, I’ve had a rough time figuring out which to pursue, so…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2018

I want to be an actor, but at the same time, I don't want to be famous.

This is one of the things I wanted to talk about. I remember as a kid, every time I watch a film, I thought to myself, "Wow, I want to be an actor in the future". I had dreams of going to Hollywood and become a famous actor. Now, at the age of 21, I began to take acting classes and films seriously and that dream of bei…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2018

Feeling stupid/silly

when i watch monologues or theatre i feel incredibly inspired and almost in awe of many actors. But when I think about doing it myself I feel like it's just silly. This is holding me back incredibly from acting, i've recently began. To add, I've been in a creative rut for years now, I'm only 25 and want to move forward…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2018

Role under 18

When two actors in a movie/show have a love interest but one of the actors are over 18 and you want to audition for the other love interest role but you are under 18. Is it still possible to get the role? Sorry if this didn't make sense, it's hard to explain.

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Apr 2018

Best scene study and audition classes in Los Angeles?

I previously took a meisner intensive with Michelle Danner, and a month of Ivanna Chubbucks class. My agent is really pushing for me to take an audition and scene study class, so do my fellow actors in LA have any solid recommendations for studios that are NOT money suckers hahaha?

Backstage

Backstage · 31 Mar 2018

What EVERY Actor Needs! VIDEO

YouTube https://youtu.be/02fJOAzoWrE All your questions will finally be answered. The link has everything you’ve been wanting. Ask anything you’d like to receive a response. Cheers

Backstage

Backstage · 31 Mar 2018

How To Be An Actor VIDEO ASSISTANCE

YouTube https://youtu.be/02fJOAzoWrE What do you have to do? What are the steps? Here’s an introduction video just for you all. The best part is, if you choose to watch all of it you can and if you don’t that’s okay too. Everything here is to help you all out. YouTube...

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2018

Questions about getting into acting

Hello everyone, A buddy of mine is an actor who gets gigs here and there in the surrounding areas of where I live. He stated for me to get started into acting I needed headshots and agents, but first the headshots. So I've completed the headshots part, I've got a solid 10 photos to start with, and including a comp card…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2018

What are the best part-time jobs for actors?

I'm interested in knowing if most professional actors here work part-time jobs outside of acting? If you're full-time, how long did it take to get there? If you're part-time, what do you guys do outside of acting?

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2018

Acting Classes in Los Angeles

Howdy guys, I’ve recently moved to LA to pursue acting after a stint in private equity and I’m at a crossroads. When I first got to LA I took classes at Michelle Danner studios and then at Ivana Chubbuck. While they were okay, these classes seemed to me like money suckers, only attracting many international students wh…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2018

Demo reels are wanted, yet so hard to make??!

So, I’m a young actress just trying to make myself a reel, but I feel like I’m making it much harder than it actually is. I have TV credits with Chicago Fire & NBC’s Crisis along with a couple commercials. However, I was only able to get my episodes of these TV shows from iTunes and every single program I’ve been using…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2018

How can an Asian American get into acting?

I am an Asian who has never acted in my entire life in a formal play, however I am consistently told by people I should be an actor because I can method act and play different characters really easily (combination of ADHD and multiple personality disorder). However, I am in college studying computer science and I just…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Mar 2018

Any aspiring actors from Europe?

Hi! My first post here. I really want to get into drama school, since it's the best way to get considered. How did you get auditions?

Backstage

Backstage · 30 Mar 2018

Need a Demo Reel?

Hey Guys and Gals, I've been a freelance Editor and Director of Photography for about 13 years now. I know how crucial reel's are for actors, it's the same for us. I would love to edit or work with you on shooting your reel. Pricing is very reasonable, and I'm...

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2018

Has Talent Link worked for anyone?

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has had any success with Talent Link through Actors Access/Breakdown Services. If so, how long did responses take to get to you/can you say who you signed with? Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2018

I'm beginning my acting career in Texas

Are you an actor with a memorable tip for a Texan? I'm looking for some advice for someone like me beginning their career in the Dallas area. Here are a few things to know about me: - I have experience on stage and on camera ([My resume](https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SpI_Mru_3sHroonhMDWDnJcOvdtEGTtQ/view?usp=sharing…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2018

Is 28 too old to start?

This is strictly an opinion thread. Was having a discussion with a friend this afternoon and he wants to get into film. He thinks he's too old to get started now. I gave him my opinion(which was I personally don't think it's "too old"). He is definitely gonna give it a shot but is torn between just starting from scratc…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2018

should I include source material for an audition to an acting program?

hi guys, random. do i include the source material for my audition to an acting program? they never specified, they just said it should be a scene of no more than 3 pages long. reasons why i want to hide the source material is because I don't want any comparisons to be made with me to the actor in the film. the film is…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2018

I feel like a failure...

The other night, my parents told me that I should give up on acting. I've been doing it for nearly ten years and it is the only thing I have ever done and love. The problem is that I have never made any money from it. I know comparing yourself to others is toxic, but it is hard to go on Facebook and see your peers kill…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Mar 2018

Foreign actor moving to LA. What month is best to contact agents?

Preface: I used to be based in LA on a visa. I'm returning with a green card. I have a decent reel with some recognizable credits. I recently signed with a new manager and I will be moving back to LA after living in my home country for a number of years. I am no longer with my old LA agent and I'll be looking to join a…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Mar 2018

Paid acting gig in Los Angeles, shoots 3/31/2018

Folks, my team and I are shooting a sizzle reel this Sat March 31st in Burbank, 8 AM - 1 PM. The intention is to use this sizzle reel to raise funds for the actual feature. We are looking for a male actor, can be late 20s to early 40s, Arab or Arab looking. Role has no lines. Paid gig - $50. If interested or have quest…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Mar 2018

is playing a nice character a weak acting choice?

Hi guys. When I say weak choice, I'm not talking about bad acting, I'm talking about when you are able to deliver the text with proper intonation and emotion, but the character choice is weak? I hate the idea of strong vs weak characters, since they are all characters, but lets pretend we are talking about J-law in Win…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Mar 2018

If you could re-do your first ever role, what would you do differently?

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN ACTOR AND HAVE NEVER ACTED IN MY LIFE. My friend is a film student and I volunteered to play the main role for an 8 minute film for his class(so no pressure really). He's directing the film and I have been doing amateur fashion photography for 2 years now, so I understanding framing, editing and…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Mar 2018

How do you all get into your characters?

Hey fellow actors. So I will be in an upcoming show and I’m not sure I’m connected with my character enough. I know with rehearsing and practicing the craft this issue will go away. But I was just wondering, what are some things you all do to prepare yourself for a character?

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Mar 2018

Tips for theater, high school production.

Firstly, I apologize if I’m unaware, I’m a new user. I’ve had many accounts over the years but never really got the hang of it. Anyway, my high school’s spring musical is only about a week out. We’re doing Oklahoma and I’m casted as Curly. I feel like I’m doing better and better by the day but I didn’t know there would…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Mar 2018

How Relevant are Acting Resumes/CVs in Canada?

Hello there, Professional actor working in London, UK (Canadian Citizen) and will be coming back to Canada to persue a professional career. I don't use a CV typically as our main Casting Website has all the information CDs require. I'm getting murmurs about updating resumes, but in a the era of digital age, is it relev…