Acting forums, all in one place

19,645 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Apr 2018

can an agent fake their imdb clients?

hi guys, i've been doing some agency research. can an agent fake their imdb clients? there is an agency who claims to rep a b-list movie actor. the agency is kinda sketchy... i wanted to know if an agent can do that. the actors are in some hollywood blockbusters.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Apr 2018

How long does the process of signing with an agent usually take?

“Signed” with an agency on Thursday, but still haven’t heard anything from the agent yet. Didn’t sign a contract or anything and all she told me was that she would email me all the necessary information (how to reformat resume, new headshot template, adding agency to Actors Access and other sites, etc.) later that nigh…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Apr 2018

Can’t afford LA or NY but I wanna start acting in film

I’m trying to get started as an actor. I wanna work in film (I’ve never had much interest in theater work) but I don’t see any sort of film community in my area. Does anyone have any advice for how I may find something or if there’s a good film community somewhere that isn’t as expensive as LA or NY.

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Apr 2018

How do I get into professional stage acting in Los Angeles

I read the sidebar and faq, searched the sub and don't see anything specifically about stage acting in Los Angeles. I've been in 20 live theater plays and a couple TV commercials. In my hometown I did community theater, pro paid theater, drama and musicals. I'm trying to find out specifically, where I go to audition fo…

Stage 32

Stage 32 · 16 Apr 2018

"Table Read"

Hello, hope everybody is phenomenal. I'm a screenwriter looking to put together a group for "Table Reads." I'm looking for professionals who would be interested in doing this on a weekly basis, as this would be online.  Please email me, if you're interested as I'm looking to place together some serious professionals so…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2018

Need Advice!

I (M24) have to shoot a love scene with my co-actor (F25) in this coming week. The scene is something where I first propose her. She accepts it. We have to kiss on-screen. This is followed by a love-making scene where I am shirtless and we are kissing each other. To be honest, I am a little nervous as I have never done…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2018

Screening etiquette

Hi all. I was invited to an early premiere for a network show at a the studio with a q&a to follow after with some of the actors and the show runner. Just wondering a good question to ask and proper etiquette (besides obvious manners and what not) for being at these kinds of things. Thank you. Also any idea on what to…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2018

Please read to help a young aspiring actress out:)

Hello friends! I am a 15 year old student in the U.S with a special interest and growing passion for acting. Ever since I was younger I remember creating stories, improvising, mirroring actors I look up to, and overall being intrigued in this craft. What hurts me is that I grew up (and still very much am) a painfully s…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2018

I'm a filmmaker looking for feedback on my custom reel scene creation service

My name is AJ Lodge and I'm a filmmaker based in LA. I'm in the process of soft-launching my custom reel scene creation service called ReelRolesLA. I was hoping I could get some feedback from actors who've either used similar services or are interested in using a reel scene service on the website and the first demo sce…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Apr 2018

James Dean made acting feel like a Super Power

I started acting a little over a year ago. It turns out a kid in my CC English class is an actor too. He told me to watch Giant. This old actor named James Dean is in it. I went home to watch it and I was hooked. I’ve seen a bunch of documentaries and read the mutant king book. Just reading about how Dean was and what…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2018

Actors who give constructive critcism?

I was at a class today and wanted to ask what is your take on giving and receiving constructivr criticism from fellow actors? I felt they were directing me too much. I was happy to take it but I felt it came off as a little patronizing. I personally dpnt like to give constructive critcism since I think its the coach's…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2018

Advice?

Hi, I’m a 15 year old aspiring actress. I have been acting since I was 4 and I did local productions and camps. The problem is that now I live somewhere that there aren’t any local theatres or workshops nearby that I can do. I really want to do acting as a career because it’s my passion and what makes me happy. I also…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2018

Can you find success as an actor when you’re bad at/hate auditioning?

I love acting, but I don’t do well auditioning. I don’t come across how I want to, and I get overwhelming anxiety not before an audition, but during it. I don’t think I do myself justice not only as an actor but as a person in the timeframe you get in an audition. I understand there’s really no other method for early a…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Apr 2018

What else can I be doing?

I’m a 22 year old British actor who moved to NYC just under 6 months ago. My experience in the UK was mostly short film and stage work (with a decent amount of open-air Shakespeare), and I’m looking for screen work primarily although very open to stage too. I have professional headshots, a demo reel, a good manager who…

Delphi

Delphi · 15 Apr 2018

Entertainment Industry Chatter: Unforgotten on PBS

So far only one episode available on PBS but it was really good and can't wait for the next one. Love the Masterpiece Mystery shows and this one has one of my favorite British actors, Nicola Walker. I thought it was a stand alone show but looking on IMDb it looks like there are three seasons which is great! This is the…

Delphi

Delphi · 14 Apr 2018

New to Acting: Glossary of industry terms for Newbies

Time for a little silliness.  Newbies can get overwhelmed with industry terminology, so I wrote this quick guide for them (tongue-in-cheek, of course, so PLEASE do not actually use this) AD – A Commercial Beat – Misspelling of a red vegetable rich in vitamins, minerals, and flavonoids Bloom in Place – A Waste Of Your C…

Backstage

Backstage · 13 Apr 2018

TIPS

Hi Brett! My names Chrystle and i’m an aspiring actress from NY. I wanted to know if you had any tips on how to get an agent and how to really boost my acting career? How do you deal with the negativity that people may throw at you? Also, since...

Delphi

Delphi · 13 Apr 2018

Agents and Managers: Open call for agency

A little late notice, but just noticed this on FB Hollywood Mom Blog added 2 new photos. 2 hrs ·  ATTN Hollywood Moms and Dads with unrepresented kiddos! ERIS TALENT is holding an open call for young talent, ages 0-15, Tomorrow! WHEN: Saturday 4/14  WHERE: The AFA Studio 10552 Riverside Drive, Toluca Lake, CA TIME: 2:0…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2018

Need your reel edited and polished?

I'm a student working in film editing, and I've noticed a lot of actors reels are pretty awful in terms of pacing, introduction, audio quality, and flow. A lot tend to be very long, and good work becomes tedious. I can fix all audio issues, make sure the audio is all the same volume and try to get it as uniform as poss…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2018

Why do I know my lines by hearth but always mess up?

I memorize my lines so that I can say them without thinking, and without any emotion. The thing is I always mess up the words if I try to act, (I mean if I try to do an emotion, cause I'm not an actor) while saying them.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2018

Yesterday I experienced acting like I’ve never experienced it before.

A little background info about me: Been studying acting since I was 14 and been doing impressions since I was 10 (turn 21 this year). Most of you probably know that it’s sometimes difficult to completely let go of yourself and really get into the role. Like, you’re kind of stuck in that technical thinking; Remember you…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2018

Advice on Winter/Spring Intensives in LA or NY

Hi everyone, I finish university this year in australia and I'm looking at staying in the USA for a while to do an intensive type course at a well-known school/conservatory in either LA or NY around winter and spring (Dec-Mayish). I'm looking at intensives that will make me a more open, mindful, present actor as at the…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2018

How long should an Actor do Student Films?

Hello Everyone, How long Should an Actor do student films when starting out? Whats the next tier after student films? Whats the goal? Im currently taking acting classes and i'm going to start submitting to a few. I just want to be educated on when I should stop doing them.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Apr 2018

Staged reading / table reads in NYC?

I posted this here before but I guess it was removed. I'd like to know where in NYC there are theaters where scriptwriters and actors can meet to share work- actors do a read of the work on stage or at a table?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2018

Never acted before and really want to get into it

Becoming an actor and making a living by it has been a dream of mine for a long time, I'm 19 years old and plan on attending college for an unrelated major next semester, I read the sticky post and it seems to be more about stage acting. Stage acting had never been my thing and I passed in the opportunity to join highs…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2018

Diversity in Young Adult Pilot Casting 2018

Diversity in casting has been a big topic the past couple of years, so I kept track of it while keeping tally of [Young Adult Actors who booked leads and series regulars](https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/8bpw52/young_adult_pilot_bookings_2018/) this pilot season. In doing so, I noticed an interesting distributi…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Apr 2018

Young Adult Pilot Bookings 2018

Last year, I compiled a list of the [actors in their 20s who booked leads and series regulars during pilot season](https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/676o3e/20something_pilot_bookings_final/) and grouped them into the most common educational and training paths based on what I could find of their backgrounds. I di…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2018

Actors in NYC

I have been thinking about moving to NYC to pursue acting since there are way more opportunities out there (for stage) than my current city. How do you guys make ends meet in an expensive city? What side jobs do you have? Where do you live? I have always been weary about it because i’ve always felt it was such a strugg…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Apr 2018

Chasing Your Acting Dreams is Possible. My story...

Hey Ladies & Gents, I'm 28yr old and moved to LA January 2017. I started by doing background all of 2017 while taking acting classes. I just got my headshots taking last weekend. I'm waiting for the retouches to be finalized so I can post them here. I will begin submitting for projects and auditioning next week. I'm so…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2018

Look for parts outside your country

I’m not an actor, I’m a writer and producer. One of my films was Sweden’s official submission to the American academy awards. I like the enthusiasm and good tone in this sub, you’re all motivating each other. Keep that up! I’d like to give you a piece of advice. Look outside your country. Many of you are from the US, a…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Apr 2018

Coping with disappointment

I know that in order to be a successful actor you HAVE to be able to cope with your fair share of rejection - it comes with the territory. Thing is, it still sucks - big time. Particularly when you get great feedback from the room (e.g. a recall or an unsolicited compliment from the director). I would like to know how…

Backstage

Backstage · 9 Apr 2018

NEW COLUMN - Drop Season

https://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors/secret-agent-man/how-stay-your-agents-good-side/

Delphi

Delphi · 9 Apr 2018

Working Actors and Models: Self Tapes

I know we have discussed this in the past, but it would be great to hear some new responses! How do you submit your self tapes?  Do you do it through a system where you can track views?  Do your reps ever give you feedback on your self tapes?  Do they ever ask you to do it over again?

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Apr 2018

Non union and equity PRINCIPAL auditions

What's the etiquette here? As a non union actor can I go to an equity principal audition and possibly be seen? Or are they specifically for emc and equity actors? Confusion on the dos and donts of epas, and I'm perfect for the production.

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2018

Anyones face ever twitch while on stage?

I am an actress, I have been acting around 8 years now, and only recently have I noticed when I get into character, my lips, and sometimes my eyebrows start twitching. Does anyone else ever get this? is there any way to stop it happening?

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2018

Looking for either people's experience, or biographies to read...

The other day I was talking to an artist (mixed media, mostly watercolor painting) about what I desire in a career in acting and I told her that I want to be able to walk onto a set or a stage and be able to see in the other actor's faces their sense of trust that we're going to do good work. And she told me from her e…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2018

Working with a difficult actor

So I'm pretty new to film acting and my fellow actor (who was slightly more experienced) was actually nice enough, however there were some things that started to really bother me about him throughout the process. The first thing is, he was a backseat director. This is less my problem than it is the director's, but it s…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Apr 2018

Andy Serkis?

In a world where motion capture isnt appreciated as an acting art in the elitist acting world (oscars) where do we rank Andy Serkis on his acting caliber alone, comparitively to others. I myself am biased in saying he is my favorite actor (very close with Tom Hardy) but i do believe this conversation is seldom had.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2018

How much do you weigh/what is your size?

We’re all anonymous here so hopefully no one minds! I just wonder because I consider myself a normal size bordering on slim, but everyone says the camera adds ten pounds and so many actors and actresses I’ve met in real life are bloody tiny! And I read about actresses being like, 110 pounds and they’re taller than me!…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Apr 2018

Whats some of the upsides and downsides of acting?

Recently Ive taken a major interest and feel very passionate about action. But when I read books and look online it seems like nobody has good things to say. The norm is that actors get paid shit and a whole lotta other bad things. I just wanna know whatre the upsides.

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Apr 2018

What is the standard rate an actor should be paid?

I hope this is allowed. I want to hire a local actor in my community to try my hand editing. I do NOT want to ripoff the actor. This is a serious production I want to do. What can I do to ensure the actor is accommodated properly? I do NOT want my inexperience to be an excuse for not doing things right. I have the mone…