Acting forums, all in one place

19,651 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2019

Dedicated sub for casting and branding advice. r/whatsmycasting

Hey everyone. I started the subreddit r/whatsmycasting for us actors to post headshots and receive advice on our casting bracket, branding advice and general first impressions. I think it’s so important for us actors to know what people think about us when they first see us and what vibes we give off in headshots so ho…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2019

USC Film School Projects

I am an actor currently building my reel through student films and other small production parts. I've noticed on Actors Access that USC projects always say SAG-AFTRA as the union status. Are these for union members only or is there a certain amount of slots allowed for non-union actors?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Feb 2019

Where should the focus be during a performance?

Looking for input from experienced voice actors. I'm trying to develop a totally serious, authoritative voice - think medical narration style. (although I'm not going to be doing medical narration) I have practicing voice acting for about 5 weeks (complete newbie). My biggest problem I suspect is inflection / pitch mod…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2019

Do actors have to be versatile or can you get jobs that fit your personality?

So without giving too much away about myself, my current career involves a TON of acting. This is because it's extremely rare I get to practice my actual job in real life, so 99% of my time is spent training. This training involves a lot of role-playing, though all of the role-playing is me doing my job in a specific c…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2019

How likely is it to make around 100k-150k yearly as an actor?

So we all know it’s super hard to become an A-list celebrity making millions of dollars a year, but I was just curious as to how hard it is to make 100k-150k yearly as an actor in Hollywood. It seems that a salary like this would make living in Los Angeles at least comfortable, so you wouldn’t have to continue working…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2019

Podcasts for actors?

As the title suggests I’m just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good podcasts for actors?

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2019

Resources for improving your acting skills/abilities besides classes?

Hi! Before anyone says just take classes I am going to but right now I'm working a lot more shifts so I can save up and afford them, and be able to afford to take time off to actually attend them. I'm also moving so I'm waiting to sign up for classes in my new city. I'm basically looking for any kind of resource, podca…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2019

Wild Emotional Slump Encountered at Rehearsals

Community theater hobbyist here, I've been doing a lot of supporting roles in mostly comedies and a few dramas, of which my most significant role to me was Mitch in Streetcar. I am now currently acting as Amir in Disgraced by Ayad Akhtar. It's my first lead role, and I'm beyond excited to get in front of an audience! M…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2019

Britney Spears "Lucky" Parody--"I Love Coffee, It's My Life" Created By Rebecca Mason

Coffee Parody Series Created By Rebecca Mason YOUTUBE LINK [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ2KbvLes10](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ2KbvLes10) For those who don't keep up with Britney Spears, the song "Lucky" turned 20 this year (2019). I felt it was perfect timing to make a parody about my favorite Britney song…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Feb 2019

My mom wants me to go to college but I want to be an actress...advice?

Yep. I’m an only child and my mom’s dream is for me to graduate college. But I want to be an actress....I’m 15 in my sophomore year of high school and this is the only thing I can see myself doing in my life. My mom believes I should have a back up plan but in my opinion a “back up plan” is just an excuse to give up. I…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2019

New Actor, Seeking Guidance

Hi everyone! I've read the FAQ inside and out, so now I want to hear from some people on what they think I should do. I've got my headshots, made a Backstage and AA account, and... I'm not sure what to do now? I have no experience at all (I have a YouTube channel, but it's vlog oriented and not at all professional), so…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2019

How do I prepare for an acting career?

I’m currently in high school and want to be an actress when I get older. What are some tips to get started now? I don’t have the option to take a drama class or be in a school play because I’m in cyber school. I’m going to audition for the next production at my local community theater and I’ve been reading acting books…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Feb 2019

Booked and then Replaced

Hi peers, I'm an LA-based SAG-AFTR actor that recently booked a commercial and was replaced last minute because "They love you and definitely want to work with you, but the client changed their mind and think you're a tad bit too young for the role" -manager's words. Is this common? Can I ask to still get paid for the…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2019

Last Act Studio

​ https://i.redd.it/lux9wvgfs8h21.jpg Last Act Studio is a performing arts studio located in Anaheim, CA. The studio caters specifically to acting, theater, vocals, and dance lessons. We also offer several other in house services such as: actor headshots, self tape auditions, and custom scenes for an actor's ree…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2019

Struggling with finding work to submit to

My struggle is that here in the southeast, mainly Atlanta, there is a lot of work. My agent doesn’t seem to be submitting me to much other than commercial work, which I am also not booking much of. Even bigger, I submit myself on actors access nearly every day. But the casting calls are nearly all for heavily political…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2019

Is Ivanna Chubbuck legit or just a name dropper?

She says she has worked with a lot of actors/actresses, but they barely mention her or not mention her at all. ​ ​ Like here: [https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a014f2cd8625f8f6d96b39eb1/files/9511a3c5-ed39-4448-b6a1-b080693d6a26/Ivana\_Chubbuck\_masterclass\_Match\_2019\_invitation.pdf](https://gallery.mailc…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2019

Good self-promo posters to put up around a film school?

Howdy all, ​ So in 2017, I worked in a film school in London, and would notice that some of the actors taking courses there would put up a small poster in the cafeteria advertising themselves. I've kept a few of my contacts at the film school and they'll allow me to put my poster up on there, so I wanted to ask…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2019

Accidentally getting into SAG through the Short Project Agreement

I produced/acted in a SAG Short Project Agreement with a budget around $500. This agreement doesn't accept Taft-Hartley's, so I assumed I couldn't join through it. SAG doesn't make it transparent online that, since this contract covers all performers, non-union actors who worked a principal role have proof of employmen…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2019

Acting scene in Albany, NY?

I just got rejected from UChicago, my dream school, which means there is a high likelihood I'll be heading over to the College of St. Rose. I know that at this time they don't have any acting majors, so I will most likely be doing communications with a focus in film. That being said, are there many stage or film opport…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Feb 2019

Can I have multiple agents and/or managers?

I see well-known actors having multiple talent agents and managers all the time. Is that something that actors do even while starting out? If there are multiple agents and/or managers willing to represent you, do you go ahead with that? Usually, they charge 10% of the project they brought to you, right? Also what's the…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2019

Young actress looking for work

Hello, my name is Ashe. I have participated in intensive acting classes and workshops for around four years now. I typically perform in three or four different shows a year, each of them running four performances. I have participated in JTF west, a theater competition, and was part of a group who placed for multiple aw…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2019

Payfair Escrow nodes

Escrow-nodes ensure the integrity of a trade between parties. Escrow nodes are secured by PFR tokens, meaning every decision in the ecosystem is ensured by value and is performed by a real person. When this is combined with an Escrow rating system it further supports its ability to rid the platform of bad actors. Websi…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2019

I'm an actor and shooting a sex scene in a month. But this is not the worst part!

Hi all, I'm an actor (not a famous one). I have moved to UK - London last summer. I have very close friends here. We are also neighbour. I have got a casting 3 months ago. Last month i was accepted. The problem is the sex scene and worse part is my co-star is my friend's wife (also my friend). We know each other for ye…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2019

Non-Actor In Desperate Need Of Help

Please bear with the long post. I am a writer. I've been in one form of writing or the other for the past 8 years now, be it advertising or currently, film-making. But an epiphany hit me about 5 years ago, which I've just been trying to avoid for so long: Acting is a life-skill. And I don't have it. No, I am not being…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Feb 2019

How much acting opportunity is there in Tallahassee?

Hi! I‘m an actor getting started in my career one year out of BFA from a top musical theatre school in the northeast. A lot of my professional work after graduation has been on-camera and I’m interested in pursuing both theatre and screen acting. I got married this year and my husband is hoping to go to FSU for grad sc…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2019

Do you ever get FOMO?

I recently saw on social media that a huge TV show was filming in my area. I realized that I was actually asked by a casting agency if I was available to work on this show (I only realized after seeing the post) but decided not to do it because it was background work and I'm not sure if I can gain anything further from…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2019

Need a new podcast? I might have one for ya.

There are a lot of podcasts out there, but none of them are really geared towards highlighting the rising stars who are grinding their way to the top. That's what my podcast "Slate Your Name" does, by interviewing aspiring actors and musicians, while working in interviews with professionals working in the field. Check…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2019

I need some advice...

Hello! I've gotten a role for my first play ever. It's at my school, so it's not the most professional. I'm not super picky with roles. There was one role I really wanted. We'll call this role S. S was a main role. She was smart and funny. One of my friends wanted to smaller roles, F and T. It turns out that I got F an…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Feb 2019

Should I invest in voice acting?

Hey everyone! I hope you are well. I have always dreamed of being a voice actor. Unfortunately, to dream is one thing. To have the talent for it, is another totally different story. I have the advantage of speaking several languages and having varied demos, studio-recorded. Would anyone be so kind as to check their qua…

Backstage

Backstage · 15 Feb 2019

Theatre. Immersion. Education: Call for Participants & Collaborators

Not sure if this is the right space for this but can't help but think that there might be many like-minded folks here! Theatre. Immersion. Education. (T.I.E.) will be in New York, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, and Chicago between June & December 2019. With a 24-hour theatre workshop as its core,...

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2019

I relocated and now my agent isn’t submitting me

I’ve asked to meet with him and he said he’s “too busy right now”- makes sense, it is pilot season, but he did have time to sit and chat for an hour with myself and a friend of mine who is also on his roster but is in another league (multiple series regulars on her resume). I wouldn’t be too concerned about this, excep…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2019

Character Actors Looking for Likeminded People!

So we've looked around and around some more and haven't quite found anyone who's doing what we're doing, and we're posting here to see if we can connect with likeminded individuals! We've done several live performances, find it hilarious to go out and public and be completely ridiculous and foolish. We have fun pushing…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2019

Should I do a 2 year musical theatre course or a 2 year acting course?

I’ve been accepted into both courses. I do believe I would have more fun doing the MT course but I want to be taken seriously as an actress. I’ve heard a lot of MT student complain that they haven’t been taken as seriously as people who took the acting course. After my 2 year course, I would be going to a drama school…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2019

Best Cities to Work in atm?

I'm getting ready to move back to the United States after finishing my MFA in the UK. I've been away for awhile so I need some help. Aside from NYC and LA, what are the cities actors are actually making livings in these days? Just want to see what my options are, if any. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2019

Seeking Actresses/Actors + Voice Actresses/Actors in the NYC area

Location: Brooklyn, NYC Type: Film / Stage / Audiobook hybrid Pay: rates starting at $20/hr (or per finished hour as appropriate) Seeking local talent for ongoing work. Must be local to the NYC area, and able to work 3-6 hrs per week in studio located in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. First round audition would be either a submi…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2019

Too tall...?

I'm a 6'6" 42 year old guy. My playing age is a lot younger (no kids, don't go in the sun!). But I've 'lost' a few roles cause I'm too tall. Can other tall actors tell me that it gets better :) Just having a down day. I'll be fine tomorrow, bit would love to know I'm not alone.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Feb 2019

Best Place to Find Work?

I have accounts on Behind the Voice Actors, Casting Call Club, ACX and Voices.com. Is there anywhere else that I can go? I'm very new to this game so I'm trying to get myself out there as much as possible. I'm also willing to do unpaid work. I'd appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Feb 14

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2019

ACTORS, what’s your opinion on Leo taking 4 years out?

I’m sure most of you want to focus on your own work and don’t to think about Leonardo DiCaprio, but I need an actor’s mindset on this so please humour me briefly. He was last in a movie in 2015 (The Revenant) and has just finished shooting his first movie since then (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood). Part of me’s scared…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2019

NY actor, UK agent?

Hi! I’m a Brit living and working in NY. A friend in the U.K. works for an agency who may be interested in repping me for some of the US roles that get sent their way. I’m presently looking for an agent in NY. So my question is about conflicts. Is it OK to have an agent in the U.K. AND an agent in NY who would both be…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2019

Non-European/UK/USA Acting Programs

Looking for info on actor training programs that don’t take place in the us/uk/or Europe, possibly in Asia or Africa or South America?

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Feb 2019

Looking for a female voice actor

I'm looking for a female voice actor for a new brand video my company is producing for a College in my area. Not sure if this is allowed but I thought I would check here.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2019

Have Any LA Actors Used This?

I have an audition this week at Hollywood Casting and Film studio here in LA. I always try to google the audition place, so I can see the street parking situation ahead of time. I found out that Hollywood Casting and Film lets casting directors use their casting rooms for free, in exchange to calling in 4 of the actors…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2019

Suitable attire as an actor?

Hey all! I’m a 22 year old actor who is a bit stumped when it comes to what would be the best way to set a professional look for myself, without being over the top. e.g 3 piece suits dressed to the 9’s I more or less have a picture in my head, of what would be a good professional look for me. I don’t know if this is an…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2019

Which actors access region do I choose if I'm in New Orleans?

I have a resume and headshots on actors access and I'm ready to start submitting for auditions, but which region do i pick? New Orleans in pretty busy with film and tv, i know a lot goes on here, but im not seeing anything on actors access. What gives? My region is set to southeast, and im not seeing anything in new or…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Feb 2019

Trouble with Meisner technique

Hey everyone, first time lurker long time poster here. I’ve been taking a Meisner technique class from a reputable teacher who studied with Sandy Meisner but for the first time in my career I feel absolutely lost. I’ve always been a naturalistic actor and very comfortable with myself on stage, and i usually get good fe…