Acting forums, all in one place

19,657 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2020

Advice about starting acting?

Hi! Straight to the point - I am on the fence about starting acting. I am likely over thinking it but here is a bit about me - I’ve never been outgoing and was always introverted and shy as a child & I have anxiety. However, although it’s tough to deal with I am constantly trying to improve and am better than I used to…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2020

Casting an influencer?

Mean Girls Bway just cast Cameron Dallas as Aaron Samuels. Cameron Dallas is a former “Vine star” known for just looking cute/taking his shirt off on camera and his “comedy” He may be cast solely to sell tickets due to his following, but couldn’t CDs cast a real actor? Does casting really care about social media follow…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2020

Acting with a separate day job

Acting is a creative passion of mine from a young age and I want to stretch that ‘muscle’ while still keeping my 9-6 day job in advertising. How can I do this in NYC for free and/or minimal cost? Thanks in advance for any and all advice from other fellow actors!

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2020

Dual Canadian and American Citizen - Can I Use This To My Advantage?

Pretty much as the title states. Also, I’m 25, female, biracial. I was born in Canada and moved to America at a fairly young age. I currently live in Los Angeles and I’m seeking a manager. I have solid headshots and a pretty good resume for a green actor. I’m currently waiting on better reel footage, but I have a short…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2020

Got a talk from a close friend

Hey guys, So I’m planning on going to school for acting (I’m specialize in improv, not in actual acting) and one of my friends sat down and talked to me about this. How agencies, commercials, etc don’t really care about your education but more about your looks. I’ve had problems with my memory from a concussion I had a…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2020

Actorive.com Review: Actorive Scam or Legit?

Following things make us suspicious about Actorive website:- # Actorive has provided its company’s address as “5 WARD LANE,FILER,ID 83328“. However, when we searched for this location on Google Maps, we found out it is an address of a residential farm area but not an address of any company or shop or store. So, it make…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Jan 2020

I need advice for my future

So my dream is to become an hollywood actor. Im not American. Im swedish, That’s a problem i know. I practice my english and my american accent everyday. Im not 18 yet and i won’t say my exact age like you prob understand. But my plan is to move to america for like a year and get a feel of the culture and see what i ca…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2020

What do you do when you feel like giving up?

I’m a fairly new actor, and I absolutely love every second that I am practicing, auditioning, or working on my element. The hardest part for me is getting my family and friends approval. Since I am 24 already and just began acting and planning a move to LA, I constantly hear how pointless it is, how I’ll never make it…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2020

Feeling guilty for wanting to rent a room at the top of my budget cause I'm an actor

Hi all, I'm looking at moving and was wondering how actors look at finding places to live with a fluctuating income and still maintaining a decent quality of life. I make enough to live, be happy and pursue my career. But sometimes it's almost like I feel like I shouldn't be living somewhere that's within my budget but…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2020

What do Backround Actors talk about on scene?

In movies when the main characters are talking let’s say in the backround what are the people talking to eachother about, I mean like let’s say in the halls in school, when they are walking, what do they talk about?

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2020

Are there any actors with foreign language degrees?

I was researching different routes into acting online and came across an interesting article by timeshighereducation.com saying "language degrees also appear to be a good requisite for a career in acting." Since I am currently studying for a foreign language degree myself, I decided to test the validity of that quote b…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2020

Can I use a selfie as a headshot? I hust want to start as an extra or something

I dont have any experience being an actor so I just want to start out as a extra just to see how every works and plays out. The problem is that I look horrible on camera and the best pictures I have of myself are mirror selfies. I dont have the money or the confidence to get a professional headshot. Can I just use a mi…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2020

Voice Actors Needed For Animated Short *Paid Work*

Hi everyone! I'm currently developing a short 2-minute animation for an upcoming series called "ReBirth: Broken Memory". As of right now, the animation itself and the script are competently finished and we just need 2 Voice Actors who can lend their talents to 2 of the main characters (and possibly a few background cha…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Jan 2020

Feedback wanted for voiceover samples

I’m a self taught Australian voice actor and wanted to get some unbiased feedback on my work. I’m currently working on a few samples in different categories but this is what I’ve got so far. Here’s the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MRfEXSRgW4nnP76wZIPPgbV_0YX4vBQl If you have any suggestions on what I c…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jan 2020

Do most actors have a day/side job?

As much as I love performing, sometimes jobs can be few and far between. even if you get a huge gig where you get four straight weeks work for thousands of dollars, once the four weeks are over you are unemployed again and until you get something else, you are on your own. barring the actors who make enough to live off…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jan 2020

Submission To Audition Ratio : Actors Access

Hello, I was curious what everyones submission to audition ratio is on Actors Access? I'm mostly asking for my own research, and to look at my materials to see what I can improve on in order to get in the room more in 2020. I know type has a lot to do with it, so feel free to mention that as well. I'm located in Los An…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jan 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Jan 9

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jan 2020

Can you act and be a PA?

I'm looking to get out of the food service industry and potentially move into being a PA, hopefully in an office environment. Is being a PA more about making connections in the industry, or does it enable you to still work as an actor? Does anyone have experience with this situation?

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jan 2020

I always dream of acting but don’t want to be an actor

It’s hard for me to pinpoint and stay committed to my passions mainly due to my mental health struggles. But every time I wander off, watch a movie, etc I started dreaming of me playing parts and I become engulfed in that fantasy. The problem with this passion is that realistically, I don’t think I could aspire to be a…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jan 2020

what scene study / on-camera classes in NYC have the most experienced actors? i'm tired of watching bad acting, it's not helping me grow and it's a waste of money

i feel like most classes and workshops I find are filled with really bad actors. you perform once maybe get feedback and then perform again..... and then you're stuck watching 2 1/2 hours worth of bad acting. it's not helping me grow and it's pretty frustrating when you're spending $400 a month for this. what studios h…

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Jan 2020

Practicing by yourself

So a little background: I'm getting back into improv with some classes (it used to be a hobby in high school). I've never been an actor or see myself as one. But in my last improv class level, the focus was on being an actor and seeing yourself as an actor. To be honest, that's something I really liked and would like t…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jan 2020

Acting Stage Names

I know a lot of people in Hollywood have stage names that are totally different than their actual names, so when do you think the right time is in an actor's career to make a stage name? (e.g. when they first join an agency, have a strong resume, etc.) :)

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jan 2020

Acting agencies in NSW

Hey guys Australian based actor here seeking an agency! Just wondering if any other actors from Australia could lead me in a direction to an agency? Really don’t want to waste my time on scams and just get right to the auditions! Thank you

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jan 2020

Backstage & IMDB pro

At the moment I have actors access and casting networks, but am looking to get more breakdown services. Does anyone use either backstage or IMDb for breakdowns? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jan 2020

Beginning Voice Actor who would like advice

As a beginning voice actor I am not quite sure where to get jobs. I have a walk in closest with lots of clothes (should I also get sound foam?) and studio quality sound equipment. Where are the best places to find voice over, audiobook, and voice acting work? They don’t all have to be the same site, I just want to cove…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Jan 2020

Getting an agent in the UK

Hello, UK actors! I'd love to get your take on representation in the UK. For context, I'm a US-UK dual citizen, grew up mostly in Scotland but have been living in the US for many years, currently in NYC. I've booked some great projects over here, including a co-star role on AMC's "Turn: Washington's Spies", regular VO…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

interests on an acting cv?

long story short, in a couple days im gonna be auditioning for a young actors course - at the audition, though, as well as a monologue and headshot, we have to bring in a cv of our experience, training, and interests, which seems perfectly normal, but thing is i only really know what to put for experience and training.…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

Australian actress considering move abroad - Canada or US?

Hey everyone, I'd love your input on this! I have considered a move to Canada for quite a while to try and progress with film/TV opportunities, but I don't know if I should go ahead and do it OR if I should stay in Australia for a bit longer and aim for LA in the next few years? I've heard things like 'you have to star…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

Can producing your own short films/web series be valid acting credits for your resume?

Hi all. As a relatively new actor, I'm just starting to get into auditioning for stuff. FYI, I am an Asian female in my 20's. I've been looking at casting sites like Actors Access and Backstage and noticed that there are very few roles that I can apply to, as not many roles are looking for Asian females. This worries m…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

Tampa theatre scene?

Hello, I'm an actor considering moving to Tampa. I would really appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could give me a brief run down of what the scene is like down there. I have been to the Straz Center, so that's literally all I know lol. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

Listening

So today in my acting class the teacher sat us down in front of a camera and told us to listen to him without saying anything, he would read a monologue where he would scream at you and I was super confused on how to listen to what he was saying without actually saying anything myself. Does anyone have any insight or t…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

I know there’s been many posts about side jobs for actors but I was wondering if anyone knows of any legitimate flexible, make your own hours job/skill that I could take on by enrolling in a program/course and receiving a certificate in? (web development,

Not too concerned about making tons of money, more so would like to find something flexible that would work with an actor’s schedule but still be enough to support oneself. Perhaps something I could do working from home, and PREFERABLY something where I could make my own hours. I’ve already graduated from college.

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

How can foreign actors work in the US?

I've always wondered how many Australians, Brits, Europeans, and other Asians land a job in the US and eventually live there. What about their visa? For example, Katherine Langford's first gig was 13rw and she easily obtained a working visa. How is the process going to be and what if there's only an online audition or…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

Was always bothering me

So there’s a dialogue in the movie right, are there two cameras at once with actors actually speaking to each other or do they record their lines one at a time?

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

In 2013, I moved 5,700 miles from London, to Toronto with no career, and without knowing anyone. Tomorrow, the TV show I’m on, The Next Step, begins its 7th season on CBBC. AMA

Hello fellow Redditors - I'm Myles Dobson, I’m a british actor and coffee snob, based in Toronto. You may vaguely recognise me as ‘That Guy Behind the Counter that Delivers Exposition to the Main Characters that One Time’ on ‘In the Dark’, ‘Entertaining Christmas’, and ‘Handmaid’s Tale’. Starting tomorrow, from 5pm GMT…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

How do you/did you get into voice acting?

I'm sure you probably get posts like this all the time. I'm a 20 year old man with a very deep and clear voice. I have always received compliments from people I meet saying that I should be a voice actor or radio announcer. At first I looked into it and was discouraged about needing to pay for voice acting lessons and…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Jan 2020

Stella Adler LA?

Hello, Is anyone taking classes or took classes at Stella Adler Los Angeles? I'm looking at conservatories and theyre all expensive. I want to be a well rounded actor before I get an agent out there, and it seems cheaper than going to a NYC conservatory or grad school. Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jan 2020

NYC: Taking on Actors for Consulting

Hi there, I'm looking to get into consulting actors for their careers. I'm a New York based actor and have been in the city for many years now, and have always loved helping guide actors. This isn't really about money for me, so we can negotiate a fee for my time, but ultimately I'd love to just get experience. &#x200B…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jan 2020

Should I become an actor?

Hello! I am 14 years old (almost 15) from Bulgaria. I really want to be an actor but from what I have read, the chances of succeeding are really slim. I am not seeking fortune, but I would really love to be in good movies. I just want to act and meet people when shooting a movie etc. However will I have to work other j…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jan 2020

Newbie adult actor, finding my way in the industry (TO, Canada)

I just stumbled into the movie industry by accident last year, enjoying background acting for the 18 months around Toronto and Hamilton. I have no previous experience in this industry and have been told that it’s not worth it to go back to University for classes when you’re in your mid 40s. Yet! I’d like to graduate fr…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jan 2020

Vancouver or Toronto?

I’m an actor from the prairies who will be moving in a year to pursue acting full time. I have been advised by many to move to Vancouver over Toronto as there is more film jobs there; which I do. Heard Toronto is more for theatre actors?

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jan 2020

Looking for a female voice actor who could do a French accent

Hi! We're an indie game developers and we're making a video game called [Paws and Soul](https://store.steampowered.com/app/911510/Paws_and_Soul/). We have all the characters but one — we need a female actor for a character who is a French female and a close friend of one of the main characters. Here are the audition te…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jan 2020

Tom Hanks' Golden Globe Speech

[Video](https://youtu.be/1mAPO4wvWJs) [Transcript](https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2020/01/06/tom-hanks-golden-globes-cecil-b-demille-speech-full-transcript/) Tom Hanks won the Cecil B DeMile award for outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment at the 2020 Golden Globe Awards on Sunday. His speech is a g…

Reddit

Reddit · 6 Jan 2020

Quick questions about SAG-AFTRA and Taft Hartley

Hey! I'm a newish actor with about a year of background work (just for fun) and about 2 semesters of acting classes I'm working in Atlanta and am working towards my first speaking role. I have a few questions regarding the process of becoming an official actor as I'm still a little hazy on the whole "SAG eligibility" t…