Acting forums, all in one place

19,665 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

Directing Background to Acting Training Help??

Hi all, Trying to get out of my own way and into acting. I’ve got a BA in theatre with a solid directing foundation, but I think it’s kind of cutting off my acting legs before I’ve even walked with them. I’m telling, not acting in my monologue work. I’ve got the character and dramatic analysis down but I can’t deliver…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

Opinions on RSC Playing Shakespeare

I found this series from the RSC the other day on youtube. [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLboSQWmG70j\_S2nWkRlncZYW49nLeFKWj](https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLboSQWmG70j_S2nWkRlncZYW49nLeFKWj) I have had a desire for a while to get better on my Shakespearian acting. I would consider myself an Intermedia…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

I told a Casting Director, "No". Was this the right choice?

I submitted to a NY/LA casting on Actors Access a few days ago, for a role that I thought was perfect for me. It required me to do something that I already do professionally in my daily life, so I thought I was a shoe in. The audition was pretty different from the traditional "read lines to a camera" type audition, and…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

London Classes

Hi Acting Community, This post is ideally aimed at UK Actors... though people know people so someone from further afield may be useful too! I'm looking for advice on Acting courses in the UK - specifically London. I'm somewhat experienced, studied Drama in College and have done weekend classes etc. at a couple of place…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

London Classes

Hi Acting Community, This post is ideally aimed at UK Actors... though people know people so someone from further afield may be useful too! I'm looking for advice on Acting courses in the UK - specifically London. I'm somewhat experienced, studied Drama in College and have done weekend classes etc. at a couple of place…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

Should you be a voice actor?

Picture this: never has your voice been called nice or soothing, if has no unique qualities and all you have is a sheer desire to act because you like it. The tone of your voice isn't low enough to be calming and good for narrations but not high enough to sound interesting and protagonistic. Somewhere in a middle, just…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

Before you take advice from ANYONE here you should:

Do your research. You’re cousin Vito could get an account and post any nonsense they like about the business or what “they” think you should do. It doesn’t mean they are right. There are a lot of anonymous accounts that are giving contrary advice to actors. That’s ok. There are an infinite number of ways to make a care…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

Post COVID-19 industry predictions

Late last year, I decided that I would spend most of 2020 preparing to move to LA to pursue acting and comedy. Currently living in Austin. I did my homework. Had classes lined up, a few short films to act in and was setting up my business to be able to be operated remotely to provide my income. Then COVID-19 happened a…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

Don’t give up!

Hey everyone! Hope quarantine is treating you well and you’ve all been practicing social distancing. I know acting is such a hard industry to thrive in, but don’t give up! If it’s your passion and it’s something you’re extremely serious about, pursue it! As a Muslim woman myself, I find it extremely hard and there are…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 May 2020

Moving from New York to another market?

New York actors who decided to move to another city, how has your move affected your careers and what is the market like where you’re at?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2020

I Am Very New

Hi, I'm very new to reddit, and I'm trying to turn my life around. I'm looking at a new career for myself. I'm 23 year young and based in Sydney as an international student, I would like to be able to enter the film industry becoming an actor. I have no experience what so ever, would anyone be able help me out where to…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2020

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - May 21

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2020

Acting opportunities in Vancouver, BC

Hey there everyone! My name’s Adrian and I am an actor in Bucharest, RO. I just turned thirty last month and, for a while now, I’ve been contemplating moving to Canada. More specifically, Vancouver BC. First off, a few things about me: I have a degree in acting from RO’s top acting university (UNATC), I don’t have an a…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2020

Can you become a successful actor without any intense romance involved?

I always had a passion for acting as a little kid, used to have small roles for school plays, practice every night on random free monologues. I definitely am thinking of pursuing acting as a career alongside having a degree in history. However, my main problem with acting in movies is the kissing/nudity/sex scenes I wo…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2020

What to do after a failed audition

This is an experience that actors have after being in the business for approximately 5 seconds: getting rejected or not getting the part they want. Yeah it's frustrating, but I try to use it a way to grow from ti and learn. Here's what I do. 1. Go to your director. Respectfully say that you were disappointed with the r…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2020

Videogame VO tape best practice?

I’m an actor who’s been asked to audition and tape for a Videogame VO. I’ve never done this before, but is this tape meant to be done the same way as a self tape for film/TV is? Do I need a reader? Or do I just say my lines while on camera? And do I look down the barrel or still off to the side?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2020

Question About Early 90s Acting

Why does it seem like literally every single female character from the late 80s and early 90s sounded exactly the same in TV and movies? They all use the same inflection to their voice. Like, you can point out the difference a 90s actress and a 00s actress simply by listening to their voices. Or maybe they don’t sound…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2020

[MALE/FEMALE] Horror Fangame - VA Needed! [60$+]

  # I am gathering assets, 3D and Audio based, for the development of a FNAF-Based fangame.   ***   I've so far been investing money into various character models that should you be accepted, I will reveal a good bit to you before fully publicly revealing them. I am only on the search for one voice, a ch…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 May 2020

First Character Demo Reel, and I was looking for some feedback!

Hello there, My name is Jeme Casco and I'm trying to make my first step towards being a voice actor. I'm starting Voice Acting 101 from casting club and I wanted to make a baseline before I started the class. I was hoping to get some feedback for my first Character Reel. Thank you! ​ ​ [https://www.youtub…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2020

Can someone recommend an online acting course?

Hey, so I want to start studying BA Acting in the UK next year and was wondering if anyone could recommend some online acting courses. Not only to prepare for the auditions but also to develop as an actor. Due to the current situation I figured that the only real way of gaining experience was through online classes, ho…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2020

Does Auditioning always need to cause fear?

*You got the email, the call from your agent. You have an audition coming up in the next couple of days. You’ve got your audition script (if you’re lucky). You prepare, you know your lines inside out. You’ve tried it different ways, with different levels of intensity. You’re ready, you’re good to go.* *The day has come…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2020

Are Backstage.com gigs legit?

I’ve been considering signing up and paying the small fee to subscribe to backstage.com. It appears they are constantly looking for actors but I’m curious if anyone has subscribed and had any luck. I don’t want to sign up, apply for 100 low paying “gigs” only to never get a response.

Reddit

Reddit · 20 May 2020

Signed to an LA agent - next steps, feeling weird?

Hi all! I arrived in LA late February, signed up for TalentLink on Actors Access, met (virtually) with a few agents, and ended up signing with one a couple of weeks ago. They are SAG-AFTRA licensed, and someone I met has been with them for a while and only had positive things to say about them. They are a smaller, newe…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Question...

Why are voiceover recording sessions so short compared to live action acting? With live action acting, you could be stuck on the set all day long but with voiceover, you're normally in and out of the studio in less than 4 hours (it's not particularly uncommon to see voice actors tweeting about how they finished up thei…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

honest opinion nyc

what would some of you say about schools in New York? Such as what is the equivalent to Stella Adler’a conservatory or the Actors Studio in the modern day?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

advice for a new actor

hiii so i've wanted to be an actor for as long as i could remember. i used to be super dramatic as a child and it's always carried on with me throughout my years. in elementary school i was in so many plays and i was the lead in most of them (but i was still extremely young and they weren't that competitive as they wer…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

I am making a video

Hello everybody ! I have just started a (small) youtube channel due to quarantine boredom. I have been challenging myself to random goals that I would like to accomplish every week and this week I have decided I would like to meet 100 different dogs and their owners via zoom/gotomeeting/facetime! I'm sorry that this mi…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Different types of “Training”

I was having a conversation with a fellow actor recently, whose in his mid-20s like me. But what was supposed to be a friendly conversation somehow turned into him telling me how not getting a Bachelors Degree in acting was the worst decision of my life... I also see the posts occasionally here with the statistics abou…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Pros and cons of acting school. Is it worth it?

I’m very close to signing up for a one-year intensive acting for screen program (pending I succeed at the audition) but I’m still on the edge wondering is this the right choice.. I’m 28 and for the last 5 years I’ve been taking evening acting classes here and there and I just love it. I think about being an actor const…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Jobs for actors?

hey! i’m a high school freshman and i have been looking into colleges for theater/acting. i would love to be an acting major but i just want to know if it’s worth it. i would also like to know what jobs i could get if i studied acting after i graduate. i’m planning on going to university of houston, if there are any ot…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Indian actors in Hollywood/Hollywood North

Why aren't there many Indian actors making it in Hollywood? Are they being typecast-ed like considered only for an Indian character or is there a chance for them to actually make it? For example be the lead as the flash or have a prominent role( regularly). I included Hollywood north because Canada has a great number o…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

A List is the Self-Tape Equipment We Use at My Studio

I saw the typo in my earlier post, so had to fix it!! Hey all, So as some of you know I am an actor and run my own on-camera audition technique school (also called LAOnCamera). Folks have been asking me for the list of equipment that I compiled so my students could get their home studios up and running. This is super i…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Hair

I’ve been debating for ages shaving my hair (I’m a female)—but I’m honestly terrified of being typecast further (African-American). I’ve had rather short hairstyles my entire life/pixie cuts, and that’s what I have now—but I am itching to just buzz it off. But I do not want to further limit the roles I’m offered, nor t…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

How to cope with constantly getting the “unique” interpretation card but never getting cast. Please read through and help me out if possible

I want to start this off by saying that I’m in no way trying to sound bigger than anyone else, and like I think I’m more deserving of the parts I’ll talk about me having not gotten in this post. It’s not like that, and I’d hate to come across as selfish, and cocky. I’m an upperclassmen in high school, with no experienc…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Question...

Why do most voiceover recordings nowadays still take place in a studio? In this day & age, people are able to just easily record themselves over the phone (there are a tons of free apps out there that allow you to record yourself very easily). You don't even need a setup for this 20 years ago that wasn't possible, I do…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Demo feedback appreciated!

Hello voice actors! My name is Josh Jones, and I would really appreciate getting some feedback on my character demo. I'm looking to polish it and make some updates so it can really shine. I did get the feedback that it would help to cut a few of the bits to give the rest a little breathing room, which I am working on c…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Monologue Competition

Hi Everyone, I used to act in college and a bit after before getting into tech. I'm working on an actor discovery app for fun. The way it will work is: 1. Each week we'll pick a monologue or scene 2. Actors can perform the monologue and submit in the app 3. People come and vote on their favorite performance. My hope is…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

Leading roles only!?

Hello! Actor here... been earning a living for 30+ years doing this crazy job and I love it... and I hate it! I love acting but often hate actually being an actor...probably something do with control issues I imagine!? I'm jealous of painters or sculptors or even writers who can just create whenever they feel inspired.…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2020

help

this is my first ever post on reddit so please keep that in mind :) im a 15 year old actor and im torn between going to acting school full time after i finish secondary school or training for a job and doing acting classes and going to auditions on the side. does anyone have advice about this? also, does anyone have an…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2020

Looking to rebuild acting foundation in LA. Advice?

Hey actor peeps, So this quarantine gave me a lot of time to reflect and plan for when the industry eventually does open back up. I've learned that I would like to try to revisit and rebuild my acting foundational training. I didn't attend a conservatory or anything, and I learned how to act only from doing plays in sc…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2020

Dropping everything for LA

Hiii everybody it’s my first day on this subreddit! Essentially, I want to pursue this dream I’ve had of becoming an actress. I am 21F studying Mechanical Engineering right now and about to graduate next month. And I hate my major, but I stuck with it these four years because I felt lost in regards to what I actually w…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2020

Starting to finally get into voice acting seriously. Now what?

I want to be a voice actor, particularly for video games or TV shows possibly. But to get an agent or really get my foot in the door I need more roles and experience from what I can tell. Where do I find these? How do I start?

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2020

If you need a voice actor/website maker, hmu

[https://easyupload.io/v0ota5](https://easyupload.io/v0ota5) \- My voice (I also have access to voice editing software if you need me to do that) [https://hello-reddit.cms.webnode.com/](https://hello-reddit.cms.webnode.com/) \- Website example (this is a very general example, I can make any type of website)