Acting forums, all in one place

19,662 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2022

What is Being an Actor in the Digital Age? (NEW PODCAST)

***What does it mean to be an actor in the modern age of social media and content creation?*** That's what a new video podcast I'm working on aims to figure out! It's called The Digital Actor, and we're going to be going over all kinds of things like TikTok, YouTube, and Twitch from an Actor's POV and how we can use th…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2022

Should you hide sexuality as much as possible until you have a decent career

I have done alot of research and have yet to see an openly lesbian/only liking girls actress who wasnt butch/masculine or with short hair who was extremely sucessful or well known. I am very feminine but a lesbian. I believe i have acting potential I’m not out out yet but close friends and some family know but no publi…

Reddit

Reddit · 3 Aug 2022

Being a "lightskinned" Biracial.

Here we go, so ivebecame more invested in acting about 2 yeara ago, aiming to make it my life instead of a hobby and im currently enrolled in a Dramatic Arts school (college but for theatre purely not american so idk how to better describe it) The school has given me some contacts and alot of knowledge so far and i per…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2022

I'm really upset over the "Batgirl" shelving.

I just wanted other actors' perspectives on this situation, especially if they're part of SAG-AFTRA--this was a major, Union production, featuring huge stars (fuckin' Michael Keaton!), that was finished--it had been TEST SCREENED already! And now it's gone. And most likely won't see the light of day unless people make…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2022

Does being in the union limit the amount of work you can do?

I know the whole union vs non union situation is pretty complex, I've asked alot of people on both sides and they all given me different answers. So I just wanted to ask those who are in the union, once your apart of the union can you only do union work or are you still able gigs that would fall under nonunion like fre…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2022

Chemistry and Acting

I am in school to be a chemist, then I wanna go to a Master's program for a cosmetic chemistry degree, but ever since I was young, I wanted to pursue acting, and I just finished my first gig as a background actress. Am I able to do both? And has anyone done something like this having a full time job but also wanted to…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2022

do actors get paid per episode for a cartoon series?

Or do they get paid per session? So say for example an actor was appearing in 8 episodes of a cartoon, would they get paid a free for each episode they appeared in or just for as many sessions it took to record all their lines ?

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2022

Does anyone have any experience with MAG (media artist group) TALENT? Or ERIS TALENT?

Hello! This may be odd but I don’t really have anyone else to ask. I am a 25 year old NYC based actor. I have been offered rep by both Eris Talent and MAG talent. Very cool but I’m at a loss on who to go with Eris on the surface seems more prestigious but I like that mag has a smaller roster. I don’t have any major cre…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2022

Looking more hireable

I realize that I've just kind of let myself stop caring about what I look like and that's severely impacted my ability to get gigs. I'm not going to expound on anecdotal evidence, but I have plenty with direct ties to how I appear interfering with my jobs. I'm an efficient and hardworking actor, and sometimes I'm even…

Reddit

Reddit · 2 Aug 2022

Lobbying???

What does it mean when they say an actor lobbied hard for the role and how do they successfully do it other than auditioning?

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2022

Hack for confidence in acting?

I just thought of this a couple days ago, but one going into an audition word embodying A character or actor during your audition process help? No I’m not saying to plagiarize the role of an actor, but rather think like the character. Say you’re additioning for a psychotic role, would invbody in the character energy of…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2022

Approaching the subject of acting in the interview process.

So this is along the “usual questions” line. Similar to “how do you balance a consistent income and also work as an actor.” My question is, how do you bring up you’re a working actor during the “day job” interview process? What did you say and when in the process did you mention it? Did you mention it at all?

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2022

Geraldine Page

I think Geraldine Page was a hell of an actress. Why do you agree or disagree?

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2022

Acting classes/ actors access

Hey guys! So I just made the move to New York (yay!) and I’m looking into acting classes here. One that I was looking at is Actors Access, specifically the fast track program. Has anyone here done that program? Would you recommend it? Alternatively, what classes would people recommend? Any advice would be greatly appre…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2022

Question: Is there a way to fix acting profiles on Apple TV+?

On Apple TV+ actors have profiles kinda like on IMDb just less detailed and WAY less editable. It’s almost like they just appear. Anyway, my little cousin is an actor and somehow 2 different profiles have populated for him on Apple TV. His mom asked if I can try to figure it out bc I’m more “tech savvy.” And because he…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2022

Why do I feel guilty by dropping out of the class in the middle?

So I quit an acting class I had been taking for the past three weeks. There are two more weeks, but I decided to drop out. This is an acting class at the studio, and it was about $600. It was 10 classes in total, so, I finished $360 worth, and I’m wasting $240, but also I’m gaining 12 hours (the remaining 4 classes of…

Reddit

Reddit · 1 Aug 2022

Wilhelmina Denver or Maximum Talent/The Block Agency?

I got two offers from agencies in Denver and don’t know which one to sign with. I am a fulltime actor and modeland Wanted to get anyone's opinion on Wilhelmina Denver and how good they really are. I know that Wilhelmina Denver is only an affiliate/satellite office with Wilhelmina International (which is the huge modeli…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2022

I got a date with one of the lead roles coming up I’m excited

For instance I worked up the courage to ask out the lead role on a TV show (meanwhile I’m just a 20m regular 2 line day player) we was having a lot of giggles & chats & for some reason during one of the conversations she said “maybe that’s why I’m single now” So I got to thinking “hmm interesting” fast forward days ove…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2022

I’m embarrassed to ask my parents to let me go to a drama school.

I really want to go to one and the one I have found has a category for film and teaches about on screen acting, script writing, camera work etc. I’ve been wanting to ask my family to if I can of but I’m embarrassed. I aspire to be an actor (Obviously) and this is one of the things holding me back, as well as doubt that…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2022

Actors who have to get in shape for a role

So let's say an actor is a very picky eater, but they got a role that requires them to get in shape. What would the actor do in that situation?

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2022

Union Actor getting into voiceover.... how to break in?

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out how to really break into voiceover while already being in the union. I've got a decent resume as a union actor, with a handful of Network TV credits but really want to be able to do more and especially in the voiceover space. I've built a couple professional voice demos, taken a voiceo…

Reddit

Reddit · 31 Jul 2022

Is it possible to be anonymous and be successful?

For example, let's say you don't do any zoom calls, or never show your face. Your logo is something like a microphone or an anime character, cat etc. When people send you the money, it's to "Vague studios LLC". You have a stage name like Blue Danube. When you have to record in person for a cartoon or video game, you we…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2022

Why Pursuing Acting is Hard - Let Us Count the Ways

If you've been pursuing acting for a minute, or even if you've been on this reddit, you've no doubt heard the refrain about how hard acting is. There's a thread about it at least every couple of days, something like "Is it possible for me to make a living as an actor? I don't want to be poor!" cue 43 replies. The reaso…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2022

IMDB credits

I’m a UDA/ACTRA actor in Québec, Canada represented by an agent. I have been to drama school but dropped. I wondered how to get my IMDB credits in regards to roles or other experiences in the film world (runner/PA)?

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2022

Got told off for knowing my lines??

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm very much a beginner and have only taken a few classes but, I just got back from an Audition Class where I was told off for **knowing** my lines? I was told I should have gotten a feel for the character first before learning lines. My idea was to learn my lines first (in…

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2022

Just any general hacks?

Hi, i’m 14 and would love to make it as an actress (screen) from any experienced actors/actresses what are some little tips and tricks that make big differences? Thank you

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2022

The Actors Studio

Ive been making the docuseries "the last movie stars", on HBO about paul newman and joanne woodward. Has anyone auditioned for the actor's studio? If you can tell us, how was your audition like and do you think your membership is worth it? Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 30 Jul 2022

Voice Actors and Editors! Open auditions for a mermaid web show!

You can audition for any character they have. And you can also audition for editing as well! Submit your audition today! https://youtu.be/993RnjxwrFk I don't know for sure, I'm not anyone behind it, I just wanted to advertise/promote it because it needed more exposure. But I believe this is unpaid work. But I do not kn…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jul 2022

[Hiring] Looking for an Anime/Movie Recaps Voice Actor for YouTube

We are a company with 4 YouTube channels that combined gather more than 1.4 million subscribers Right now we are creating 2 new channels. Anime recaps and Movie recaps We are in the need of 2 voice actors that are capable of making a solid and interesting interpretation out of the scripts they're gonna be given. We loo…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jul 2022

Social Media Paid Placement - contract needed?

Hello! Non-union actor here - I'm just wondering what the industry standard is for shooting footage that will be used in a company's social media, likely paid placement. Is this something that is sometimes shot without a contract? I know that for something larger, like anything broadcast, a contract is absolutely a req…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jul 2022

Hi! AMA at 6pm EST!

Hi, r/acting! I'm an actor in NY and I'm in quarantine out of town so I figured, why not see if anyone is interested in asking anything? My IMDB is here: https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1534700/ I most recently played Mamie Fish on The Gilded Age, and before that I played roles such as Janice on Mr. Robot, Amanda on And Just…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jul 2022

What do I call this role on my resume?

I just got a call that I booked a role in a major movie. It’s just a one day role and it pays the SAG rate of $1082 for the day. The casting director specified this is not background and she used the term “principal.” I know it’s not background because I auditioned for it and also because of the pay scale. But I do not…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jul 2022

Can we stop posting on SM every time we self tape?

I think we all know that actor who feels a compulsion to post a video or picture on social media every single time they send in an audition for anything. It's like the moment that ring light hits them the think "the world must know that I spent an hour reading commercial copy in front of my cellphone today!" To me an a…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jul 2022

sony untitled series casting call

my friend dm'ed me a capeusa instagram post about an untitled sony series that is holding an open casting call, encouraging me to give it a shot. i know that usually when a studio does it, they're also receiving auditions from actors who have representation (that usually end up getting the role) and as i have none and…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Jul 2022

When Method acting goes too far?

First off, I've never been certain, despite trying to research it, what Method acting is defined as but it sure seems like some are a bit excessive about it. Isn't it a bit much to force everyone to carry you around because you're trying to play a handicapped person or gluing your eyes shut for a month to play a blind…