Acting forums, all in one place

19,657 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

Showcase was like the X Factor - with multiple Simon Cowells

Hi! I've been trying to get new rep and have done a three workshops where you could meet a single agent. They were kind, and one provided some constructive criticism about my audio. All very professional. However, I figured it would be a better idea to meet more agents at once, so I signed up to a 12 agent showcase (I'…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

Does Casting Networks Shadow Ban or Rank?

I regret to say that I flew out to do a job a couple of weeks ago and ended up with a dead phone and being locked out of my hotel(s) all night. To spare you the details, I did everything I could to navigate a delayed flight and a lost phone charger, but to no avail. Because of this, I couldn't report to set. After walk…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

Cis actors applying for trans roles?

I was wondering what the general consensus is regarding cis actors applying for trans roles? Could a cis woman apply for the the role of a trans woman if there are no listed casting restrictions? If the script deals with the experience of being transgender, would it be disrespectful for a cis actor to apply as someone…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

I have a VNS scar and I hate myself for it, do I still have acting possibilities

I want to be an actress/model. But I think I’m too ugly for it/will denied roles/jobs. For those who don’t know what VNS scars look like, there are two ((one by your heart (where the chip is) and the other on your neck (where the wire is)). The one by my heart is not noticeable but the one on my neck is (kind of). But…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

Is it possible to burn bridges with CD's?

When I first started out, I didn't always send in great quality tapes because I was still developing as an actor and (honestly) got my agent too early. I'm wondering if sending in less then amazing tapes often translates to that CD never calling you in again?

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Fi Core

Please will anyone whose gone Fi Core tell me about their experience. It seems more and more actors are choosing Fi Core (or claiming to be Fi Core when they’re not) and it’s becoming more accepted by the industry. I understand what Fi Core is and how it works, but I’d like to hear from actors who’ve switched to Fi Cor…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Jobs. Actors life

I’m an actor but I’m very new- still sorting out my headshots and showreel and getting an agent and have auditions etc. however, I’m really struggling financially, I have done a bit acting here and there and other casual jobs here and there but not enough to support a living. I’m thinking to get a stable permanent part…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Tips for a fellow Mentally Ill Actor? [Bipolar]

Hello everyone! I'm an aspiring actor with Bipolar (untreated but will get meds soon). Is there any way I can still make it through my career? I've had offers for student short films and played in one. But I'm not sure if I can ever make it due to my condition, and because of the emotional process it takes to build up…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Paid auditions?

Is it just me, or should actors be getting paid to audition? At least on projects with a decent budget. A lot of these roles take a good amount of time to shoot, memorize, edit etc... and the vast majority of the time there's not even a thank you for auditioning. We provide options and our time and effort, and unless w…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

A Weird SAG-AFTRA/SAG-Eligibility Question?

Hey acting peeps! So I'm a non-union actor in New York. And while I was going through the process of being cast in a New Media Project, I remembered that I had done a Principal Role on a 2017 New Media Project (in 2019 right when I moved here). So even though the SAG-AFTRA Eligibility Tracker had always told me I was N…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Is this normal or a callback?

Last week I submitted for a project on Actors Access, then a few days later I received an eco cast invitation. So, I submitted my self tape a few days later, and today I received an email from AA with "revised sides" (which are entirely new sides)... is this a normal thing or is this a callback? I'm confused bc I haven…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Turning down roles due to sickness

I got offered a part in a short that films in two days, however I have just come down with a pretty bad stomach infection and can barely leave the bed. I know I won’t be recovered in time for the shoot. Very luckily, I turned down the role when I was offered it- not after I accepted. Ugh, just sucks tho. Is this like,…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Talent Link

I’m in the Atlanta Market and I was wondering if talent link on actor access is useful for people that act in Atlanta.

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Feedback

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Agents are like buses...

Hi, so this is a follow-up on my post from yesterday, which you can read [HERE.](https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/yqfnd7/to_sign_or_not_to_sign_advice_on_accepting_a/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3) If you can't be bothered to read it, the gist is: I got offered rep after searching for quite a whil…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

I’m curious to know— as a complete beginner, what is “the actor’s process”?

I hear words like “do the work” and things get thrown around. How does someone transform themselves into a new character or person entirely? I just began acting training and I’m curious how the days are spent? Do you first breakdown the script and memorize all your lines, then do movement/speech/other acting exercises…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

The Voice Actor's Complete Guide to A Successful Directed Voiceover Session

Voiceover artists often get asked if they can take part in a "directed session", also known as a "live session", to record a script for a project. Directed sessions are a great way to maximize time, streamline efficiency, and minimize revisions, not to mention form a connection with the client, add a human element to a…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Hangover voice

Hi y'all :) My "normal" voice is quite high (at least that is my own perception), however after going out drinking and singing my voice is much lower (not necessarily raspy or husky). This clearly shows that my voice is able to have a much wider spectrum than I can access under "normal conditions". The effect unfortuna…

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

New voice actor here, how should I start?

I’m a 17 soon to be 18 year old high school student and I’ve been acting and all that for most of my life, I have all the equipment and recording software I’d need for this but I’m not sure how I should format my demo tape or where I should start out like what platform would be best? Much thanks y’all ♥️

Reddit

Reddit · 10 Nov 2022

Any Auditions Available For Me?

Hi. I’m 13F (almost 14), half asian (if that helps) and I’m an actress. I can’t seem to find any auditions for me at the moment for TV and film, do any of you know of any current big auditions or casting calls happening that fit my criteria? thank you.

Reddit

Reddit · 9 Nov 2022

UK actors: Do you think when it comes to your spotlight page, less is more ?

Not sure what platforms there are in the US but I guess the same question could apply. I’ve seen pages of actors with like 8 headshots (same facial expression, different shirt) and multiple video clips. But I had a chat recently with my friend who’s an assistant with an agency and he said that really sometimes just 2-3…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Actors access- reels vs. clips

If a breakdown is asking for my singing reel, should I pay for and upload an entire reel to the submission or are multiple individual clips ok? Is there a difference on their end with a reel and multiple clips? Thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

The voice actor dilemma - A question

Hi there! Wanted to ask a fun question here :P Let’s say you currently have a middle tier microphone and you want to take it to the last and final step. You’re in a unfortunate or fortunate situation of being able to purchase only one industry-standard level microphone or equivalent. Only one. For the sake of simplicit…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Visa for actor?

Hi all, Talking with an agent at UTA for an actor in a short film. While they’re rep’d by their agent in the U.S., they actually live in London. Their agent shared they don’t have a visa and asked if production company would be able to cover it. Our shoot will be 2 days in New York next year. They are a very successful…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Looking for a voice actor

Hi, I'm looking for a voice actor for my youtube channel. male/female all welcomed I'm working on a movie recap script for my new video, and I need someone with a nice voice to do the voice-over for me. You'll be paid and I'll give feedback as well. Price, around $20. Thank you, and send links to your work or portfolio…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Close to giving up with this, literally getting nowhere.

Sorry for sounding like a wet wipe, I just feel like this is the best place to share my thoughts. I’m a white 30m from the UK, I have an agent who as far as I know regularly submits me for work, have an up to date showreel and recently got new headshots. However I am literally getting nothing at all come through, I loo…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Has anyone noticed the amount of UGC castings on Backstage?

I was going through Backstage and the ratio to actual film/tv/theater projects to UGC (or User Generated Content advertising) notices is staggering. I get that social media advertising is a cash cow for many, but they usually are exclusively Non-Union and some of them even require you to shoot most of the material your…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Looking for voice actor

$15 Its not that long (a few lines). I'm looking for that kind of commercial/promotional voice with some energy behind it.

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Questions from a rookie actor

What’re some tips for people who are very new to acting? Are there any exercises that may be helpful (someone mentioned sitting in front of a mirror and trying to depict different emotions using just your face, such as anger, sadness, confusion, pity, etc. Another person mentioned videotaping yourself doing a scene to…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Looking for a actor

My name is sinthujan. I want to turn my screenplay into a short film, but I don't know any place to hire an actor. I'm looking for something that live in Toronto or close to toronto. Male or female is fine. The story is about toxic love.

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Pursuing Writing as an Actor

I’m thinking about doing a masters or program for creative writing but I finally just got an acting manager! I’m not sure if this will take up too much time and focus. I feel torn from the ideology that acting has to be Plan A and that there’s no plan B in order to succeed. However, I feel like I want to immerse myself…

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Looking for a voice actor

Hi, I'm looking for a voice actor for my youtube channel. male/female all welcomed

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Looking for Voice Actors

Looking for Voice actor to narrate movie summaries for a Youtube Channrl. :) Would like to give you a small paragraph to sample so we can see of you match what we need. DM me for more details.

Reddit

Reddit · 8 Nov 2022

Actors who struggle with accents, how do you learn them?

I struggle with accents a LOT. I'm currently paying for private classes which are really helping, but they are incredibly expensive. I've tried most of methods of learning on my own, such as shadowing, recording and listening, etc. The problem is, I simply cannot hear whether I do something right or wrong so working on…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2022

Going to be an extra for the first time ever!

So, I’m new here. I’ve done a little reading on this sub and it’s been so helpful and informative. I’ve always dreamed of being an actor, but circumstances just didn’t allow it. However, I applied to be an extra on the movie The Bikeriders, filming in Ohio. I was so excited when they said yes! I’m a little nervous, thi…

Reddit

Reddit · 7 Nov 2022

Two questions

So ive been trying to amp up my resume to get the best of my casting but have to add skills of mine, of course i have plenty of skills but do not know which to add for acting & filming. Which skills are important to have and which skills arent? I’m also a tiktok influencer and love to post on social media, i play in es…