Acting forums, all in one place

19,657 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

Can I go from YouTube to Hollywood ?

I had a rough childhood. I was bullied and abused, but I still internalized these feelings. never reacted to any of it. But part of my coping mechanism was to talk with girls. I have always been a performative guy who would remember to say funny things in front of girls and make them laugh. I also seek attention from o…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

Best Way of Securing Representation in NYC/LA?

I’m an actor who is moving to NYC next month. I have had recurring credits and co-stars on major networks and streaming platforms. I have good training. I have a solid reel. This is all from living in the Southeast. I have been trying to get a bicoastal agent before I move to NYC. Mostly I’ve been cold emailing differe…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

How much do credits and training matter?

I’m a new actor and my agent has been submitting me to a lot of lead/series regular roles for huge shows/movies. While I am excited about how “big” these auditions are, I also feel a bit dismotivated because I am still non-union, I didn’t go to a well-known acting conservatory or college drama program, and I have yet t…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

Zero luck with Talent Link LA

I recently moved to LA and decided to try out Talent Link on Actor's Access. I did the month long submission where it sends your profile our to agents/managers once a week for 4 weeks, and unfortunately I had zero agents reach out. I was kinda surprised because i've had several friends try talent link in LA and they al…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

Auditioning for a student film

Hello, I have recently finished taking some classes at HB Studio and would like to begin auditioning for student films. Most of the student films on Actors Access require a demo reel which I do not have. Would a self taped monologue be okay for now? Can the monologue be from a movie? Thanks

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

What are some essential reading for professional actors?

What have been some of the most influential books you’ve read that have been useful or influential in your acting journey? Am keen to get a list of reading list of books to help develop my technique and craft. Any book suggestions ( fiction/ non-fiction) welcome!

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

What are some daily practices you recommend for actors?

Between classes, workshops and auditions, what practices have you found essential and useful to developing your craft? Was recommended daily journaling, but was wondering what other exercises are useful in the daily routine of a professional actor.

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

What is in LA, or maybe even NYC that an actor is to find there?

I hear about all this opportunity in those two portals of entertainment hubs. The competition is fierce, but there is plenty room find something supposedly. What is there that makes the access available to an actor? Thanks. Charlotte,NC

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

Questions I need answered

•As actors, how can/do we measure truthfulness in what we do onstage and on camera? •How often does real, truthful, spontaneous, and unplanned acting occur? Those little tiny moments where you feel magical, invested, and truthful that appear out of nowhere and are gone within seconds, unable to be consciously replicate…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

If you don’t land any agent representation, high profile theater roles, or any kind of proper film and tv actor status (series regular, or booking guest stars or working on the Indie film level) by the time you graduate drama school, are you f***ked?

As someone who just started drama school, this has me very curious. I know some people have been acting their whole lives or other come to drama school in the middle of their college careers or just pursue acting right after they studied something else, but I read a post here about Paul Mescal, and recently other risin…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 Nov 2022

Headshot Disaster no.3 - Are You Face Acting in Your Headshot?

I want to talk about the phenomena o*f ‘face acting’*. This is a term I came up with to describe the way some actors present themselves during their headshot session. [Awesome acting headshots](https://preview.redd.it/bhczqu7eu40a1.jpg?width=800&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=4ba1a52f34b2e5cd5dc7dfc4cc651315ca01d931) It’s inc…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Nov 2022

Any AUSTRALIAN/Sydney Actors/Actresses able to give advice?

I am hoping to become a TV Actress, but I have no clue how to start. I have 0 experience beyond high school and one minor role in a university play. I was rejected by NIDA, and can't apply till next year. No feedback from them so far either. So I have a couple of questions, where should I get started to acquire experie…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Nov 2022

More experienced actors please help ease my mind about upcoming Zoom table read!!

Hey!! I have an upcoming table read coming up for a short film of which I'm playing a large supporting character. While I have done many short films in the past, all of them were either short enough to where I could completely remember all the lines rather then remember them as a shooting schedule was given out (all of…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Nov 2022

Actors, how do you prefer being directed?

Do you prefer: 1. When the director tells you the emotions the character should be feeling, i.e. "make it sadder," "be more energetic," or "give me lust" 2. When the director shuts up and leaves you alone to make your own choices 3. When the director takes an active interest in your personal life and gives you directio…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Nov 2022

Advice for young actor in Sydney

Hi! I'm 18 and I know acting is what I'm going to do for the rest of my life. I studied Drama in high school for four years, applied to NIDA (Australia's biggest Drama school) and got rejected. I took a part time year-long acting course this year, got headshots done, signed with a small agent who primarily submits for…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Nov 2022

A few things I learned from : Robert J Sciglimpagila Voice Over Legal

https://www.amazon.com/Voice-Over-LEGAL-Robert-Sciglimpaglia-ebook/dp/B00998J7JO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=DMD4OHKIDVAQ&keywords=voice+over+legal+by+robert+j+sciglimpaglia+jr&qid=1664232593&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=voice+over+legal%2Caps%2C667&sr=8-1 DISCLAIMER: I'm not him, nor…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Nov 2022

Questions I need answered

* As actors, how can/do we measure truthfulness in what we do onstage and on camera? * How often does real, truthful, spontaneous, and unplanned acting occur? Those little tiny moments where you feel magical, invested, and truthful that appear out of nowhere and are gone within seconds, unable to be consciously replica…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Nov 2022

Is a Casting Network subscription worth the price?

Hello fellow Reddit actors! I'm currently acting in a market outside of the Big 3 and was wondering if the costly CN subscription price is worth it or if I'd be practically the same sticking with AA. Thanks for your insights :)

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Nov 2022

Location submissions

Without an agent or manager, I have to rely on looking for projects I want to act in. Though I am not in Atlanta, New York, or LA, but the small state of West Virginia, where there is almost no acting stuff going on other than school plays. Backstage, Actors Access, and other sites have a spot that says "seeking submis…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 Nov 2022

When should I join pay 2 play?

Hello voice actors, I have currently deciding whether I should join p2p or not. I have made my commercial demo with music (all self made – I have a background in video editing, and I have spent a whole month researching plugins, effects, etc. and I am quite good at editing my voice), I have 12 diy acoustic panels, a ki…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Is MMG a good agency

Does anyone know if MMG is a good talent agency for actors or have experience with them? Thanks.

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Looking for another Voice Actor for my Minecraft Mod!

Hey! I posted here a few weeks ago, and I am so glad for everyone who offered! I'm looking for another voice actor now! It'd be a bit of a 'whisper in the bushes' sound, preferably feminine, and I'll be wanting 10 sounds. Each sound will be like- 1-2 words so it's pretty easy. Paying $10!

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Audition advice

So I’m a senior in high school and I am applying to the acting program at CCM (University of Cincinnati) and it requires a two monologue audition. I’m planning on performing a Cassius monologue from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar but I’m a little stumped on what to do for the second. Now I’m aware for most auditions like…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Agent didn’t approve ecocast

I uploaded all of my files for my audition to Actors Access yesterday and normally my agent approves it right away and sends it off to casting. But they haven’t approved it yet or given me any feedback for changes. Now, I can’t get a hold of my agent and the deadline is approaching at 3pm today. What happens if they do…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

UK actors - can you search through other actors' profiles on Spotlight?

I'm really confused. I thought those with acting profiles couldn't search or filter through other actors profiles on Spotlight, but I keep hearing that other people (even without profiles or accounts) can. I'm very confused. Can you only search through profiles if you have a casting director/agent account? Or am I doin…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Tips for Learning Lines Without Getting Stuck in a Delivery

The headline was hard to word- so here’s an elaboration on what I’m asking: When I read a script for the first time- my brain likes to lock how I read it/ heard it my head the first time. For example, I read one of my lines: “Oh, my goodness! It’s such a pleasure to meet you!” Now every time I read it or deliver it I s…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Is this a realistic goal?

I live in the Bay Area, I’m 18, I have some experience of acting in school. I’ve always loved it but never had the support from family. I always dreamed of being the next black Panther or one of the first black spiderman, or even becoming a character in voice acting or a random dude that dies 5 minutes into a film. Alw…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Has anybody leveled up agents / managers in their 30s?

i'm just really afraid i'm going to be stuck reading for co-stars for many more years than I ever thought. and it was hard enough to even get here. I was pinned 7 times in the past year, i've had so many repeats from casting, 31 offices out of the 67 I've read for have given me repeats, all major offices. I've come clo…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Demo Reel Filming Services in Toronto?

I know there are some very strong opinions on this topic, but please hear me out. I'm not a complete newbie actor, but unfortunately the only "demo-worthy" footage I have (in terms of quality) is from when I was first starting out as an actor, with basically no training. It's just not a good representation of my curren…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Acting and suicide

Sometimes, when I get down on myself as an actor and full of self-doubt, thinking I’m too cerebral, too in-my-head constantly, not instinctive/impulsive enough, not concentrated / can’t concentrate enough, not emotional enough of an actor, not imaginative enough, not inspired enough, not relaxed enough, don’t have any…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

How do you afford an agent?

Hi! I know I just posted like 2 minutes ago about something else but I have a different question. How did you find an affordable agent? I’m with nine9, which I’ve just been told is a scam. (I’ll do more research on my own before I drop) but I really do want to become an actress. I’m not rich, so an agent I have will ha…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

Do casting directors remember bad self tapes?

A couple years ago, I sent a really bad self tape to a huge casting director. I mean so bad that I’m pretty sure when editing it and uploading it, I forgot to cut out an irrelevant convo at the end with my reader (though might be possible they never watched all of it?). However, now I’ve been signed to my agent for alm…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 Nov 2022

I froze on set, my lines disappeared--help

"How not to freeze up on your lines is considered the infamous actor’s nightmare. . ." Driving home I remembered every line, every word. Fuck! Any suggestions?

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Nov 2022

How to direct theater actors for great screen performances

I'm a film director. This is a problem I've had time and time again. I try normally to cast actors that have screen/camera experience. But sometimes I just can't, and I end up with theater actors. They are great, but they always end up telegraphing their emotions and tactics, even when I point this out to them. Is ther…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Nov 2022

Voice Actor Needed For Youtube Project

I am doing a project on youtube, very similar to an audio book. I'm looking for a voice actor of the other character, a young adult woman. Don't have a huge budget, I can pay 25 dollars per video/chapter. Each Chapter is about 20 lines-30 lines. I will send a link to part of the first chapter or "script". The character…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Nov 2022

Problems with jealousy and the ability to actively listen

Last night, we were having a KCACTF respondent for our college Shakespeare show. He praised the actor who played Don Pedro tremendously. And this made me jealous. He praised their ability to actively listen and he could see the gears turning in their head and that the energy they were giving out did not falter once. Th…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Nov 2022

Looking for androgynous queer voice actors for a animated series

Hello! I'm Bobby, and I'm working with my friend vsrstuff. we are in the early process of the making of an animatic series about a witch boy who spends his daily time doing small tasks for the human town and learn magic! As for now we are not looking to hire just yet, but we do want to start working on the list of peop…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Nov 2022

Is this normal?

So I was able to score an audition with a larger theatre company thanks to my one of my friends who is currently working with them. But basically an actor dropped out and they sent me sides to audition for them. They gave me 4 days to memorize a 9 page scene where my character does 3 monologues. I’m also in the midst o…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 Nov 2022

Help! I just moved to LA. How do I find an agent?

I just moved to LA a month ago. I have a decent reel. I just graduated with an MFA in Acting. I submitted myself on Talent Link through Actors Access, but only got one bite. The bite was Johnson Talent Agency. They asked me to submit an audition tape. I did that, but I think they passed. Are there other ways to find an…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

Looking for Youtube Channel Voice Actor

Hello, I'm looking for a voice actor like in the link below for a youtube channel, payment will be $30usd per script and scripts are usually 400/450 words long. Starting with 3 a week and then looking to do more. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlMgsIS-Paw&t=1s](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlMgsIS-Paw&t=1s) Send m…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

anyone know how to audition internationally?

I love acting and i have since i was very young. i even have an acting course and i was in school drama club and did a play but unfortunately there isn’t almost any opportunity for child actors here and in my state the adult actors barely make money. i’m in india so the main industry in my country is Bollywood and it’s…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

Showcase was like the X Factor - with multiple Simon Cowells

Hi! I've been trying to get new rep and have done a three workshops where you could meet a single agent. They were kind, and one provided some constructive criticism about my audio. All very professional. However, I figured it would be a better idea to meet more agents at once, so I signed up to a 12 agent showcase (I'…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

Does Casting Networks Shadow Ban or Rank?

I regret to say that I flew out to do a job a couple of weeks ago and ended up with a dead phone and being locked out of my hotel(s) all night. To spare you the details, I did everything I could to navigate a delayed flight and a lost phone charger, but to no avail. Because of this, I couldn't report to set. After walk…

Reddit

Reddit · 11 Nov 2022

Cis actors applying for trans roles?

I was wondering what the general consensus is regarding cis actors applying for trans roles? Could a cis woman apply for the the role of a trans woman if there are no listed casting restrictions? If the script deals with the experience of being transgender, would it be disrespectful for a cis actor to apply as someone…