Backstage · 16 Jul 2018
NEW COLUMN - Setting Timetables for Your Career
https://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors/secret-agent-man/why-you-should-change-your-expectations-instead-accepting-failure/
19,647 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.
Backstage · 16 Jul 2018
https://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors/secret-agent-man/why-you-should-change-your-expectations-instead-accepting-failure/
Reddit · 16 Jul 2018
Hey guys. Just to warn you, this may be a long post, but I’m in dire need of some advice or even just opinions. I’m having a freak out, or as I like to call them, “An actor’s moment”. Some background first. I’ve been acting professionally for about 6 years now in Los Angeles (native raised), working actor for about 3 y…
Reddit · 16 Jul 2018
I’ve searched all over and couldn’t find anything. Is there like a database that lets you know what Stage Names are being used by others in the business? And how do you claim one? Is that something that’s only applicable once you’re Equity/SAG, or how to non-union actors solidify their Stage Name? Any help would be gre…
Reddit · 16 Jul 2018
Does anybody now how to? Or any adution sites that are legit and free
Stage 32 · 15 Jul 2018
I'm a 45 y/o female who's children are old enough to be semi-independent (i.e. teenagers) and I have been dreaming of getting back into acting. Here's my dilemma: Evicted from my apartment and living with my brother and his wife, unemployed and suffering from depression/anxiety, and have no steady income other than wh…
Reddit · 15 Jul 2018
Hey everyone, I'm an actor who recently moved to LA after signing with an agent. My agent wants me to submit self-tape auditions for a couple of projects. But, since I just moved here I don't really know anyone or have the tools for making a quality self-tape audition. Are there people you can hire who will read your l…
Reddit · 15 Jul 2018
know the name of the actress who teaches acting and how to roast a chicken dinner in the same course? there may be a video out there...
Reddit · 15 Jul 2018
Ive had plenty of instances where ive been told im going to fail and nothing will come of it. Im very aware acting is a risky bussiness and odds are against you. Personally i brush these comments aside, why should i care if i dont end up as a celibrity? I enjoy what im doing and at the same time working towards it. Jus…
Stage 32 · 14 Jul 2018
So I'm a local of Manasquan, NJ about an hour from the big city NY... Might anyone here have any know how in NYC Extras work, any tips? Thanks everyone posting advice!
Reddit · 14 Jul 2018
I just finished a callback for a SAG commercial and I was really excited about it. The spot is super funny and fun and, naturally, I want to book it badly. The first take was good enough. But during my second take, nerves/ excitement overtook me and - while I finished my line and action - I felt like I left my body for…
Reddit · 14 Jul 2018
I know that, in film, if you appear too much as an extra, you’ll start to get a reputation of being an “extra actor” and won’t be brought in for speaking parts. Is this the same for theatre? If you get too many ensemble roles- even at huge theatres- does that change the way people see you? Might you have a harder time…
Reddit · 14 Jul 2018
Please feel free to ask any question at all related to acting, no matter how simple. There will be no judgements on questions posted here. Everyone starts somewhere. So ask away!
Reddit · 14 Jul 2018
We're looking for female voice actresses. American and English accents are welcome. Submit previous work and rates to: [info@playeronetrailers.com](mailto:info@playeronetrailers.com) Our work: [www.playeronetrailers.com](https://www.playeronetrailers.com)
Reddit · 13 Jul 2018
Hey friends!! I have a few questions, and I have always gotten such awesome advice and responses here, so I thought I would reach out again. My first question is just about how you practice your craft. I am a visual artist as well as an actor, and when I want to practice my visual art, I know exactly what to do. I get…
Reddit · 13 Jul 2018
I’m looking for any shows or movies where a character is portraying someone who has an acting gig and is really bad. So I would imagine they would be oscillating between good acting (their real life) and bad acting (their gig). I was thinking Disaster Artist would have this but it actually didn’t. The only thing they h…
Reddit · 13 Jul 2018
So I'm in my early 20s and have been going at this acting thing for a little while now. I've always been repped and am currently very happy with who I have, although I need more auditions. The biggest problem, as I'm sure many of you can relate, is just that. Auditions. Opportunities. Forget fighting for the role, figh…
Reddit · 13 Jul 2018
Long time lurker, now time to for me participate. Do you guys know what to do when you get no responses from agents? I have good headshots and also a demo reel made from self-tapes. The self tapes that I had were at the professional quality. It's basically what you would see as an audition from a working actor. I am fe…
Reddit · 13 Jul 2018
First off, I'm not an actor, but I'm hoping some of you may have advice for me. I'm a teacher who got the chance to film a TV pilot about my work for a major cable network (whoo!), but the show wasn't picked up (boo!). I got to see the pilot though, and it was crazy because I felt like I was pretty animated (verging on…
Reddit · 13 Jul 2018
Hi all, So I’m performing today (Friday 13th: infamous for its bad luck connotations) and it got me wondering, **how many of you guys (and gals) are superstitious when it comes to performing?** **Is there any things you do before (or during) a performance that’s quite routine for good luck?** I was waiting to go on sta…
Reddit · 13 Jul 2018
Hello all, so I just finished my 2 Years at the William Esper studio in NYC and now it’s time for me to dive into this mad world of acting. I’m wondering how most of you found your monologues? I also don’t have a reel and I’m on backstage and I see a lot of the good work is requiring some sort of reel which is fine but…
Reddit · 13 Jul 2018
Hi there! I'm a 20 year old on-camera actor with about twelve years experience. I'm professionally represented, working out of Chicago, and a member of SAG-AFTRA. I'm happy for being this far along in my career, but obviously I want to go further, as my goal is to be consistently working out of L.A. within two years. W…
Reddit · 12 Jul 2018
I’m working on writing a book for people who act. Which means it’s a book for everyone. Maybe you’ve been doing theater, TV and film for decades. Or you could be a beginner. Maybe you’ve never even read a script and have no intention of ever being a professional thespian. No matter which you are, you act. You’ve been a…
Reddit · 12 Jul 2018
Hi guys, I've asked this question before, but I wasn't able to get responses. There are a few managers that are of interest to me. Some of these rep actors from Canada, Australia.... There are also actors who are repped by managers that live in different provinces (or states if you will). All these managers seem to be…
Reddit · 12 Jul 2018
Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…
Reddit · 12 Jul 2018
Hey guys! I need your help with a branding survey (2-3minutes). I'm an actress and I want to find out what my brand or typecast is. If you could click the link below and fill the survey out I would really appreciate it! Thank you! [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeI1QR26LIyUZdzaRwJHPQkKWMrm1tnvnx8DR5S8-r-mrnO…
Reddit · 12 Jul 2018
Hey guys, so today I received a scam email today, but instead of deleting it, I thought I'd show some of you guys what it looks like if you're unfamiliar. So, here it is: >Dear RunningWithTheBoys, > Thank you for responding to our casting call, it would be really nice working with you. RAW Films is an award winning Fil…
Reddit · 12 Jul 2018
I switched agents last year and my new one has gotten me a total of two auditions in 9 months. I've managed to get myself two or three more. I don't live in the US but I have a lot of friends in my country who are auditioning regularly. I've fixed my headshots twice, changed up my showreel, done more training. EVERYTHI…
Reddit · 12 Jul 2018
I was recently contacted about replacing an actress who dropped out of a project and immediately responded saying I was interested in reading for the part. The person who contacted me replied to my email and elaborated more on the project and said that if I was still interested they would email me the sides. I said I w…
Reddit · 12 Jul 2018
I've recently had a director reach out to me to audition for an upcoming film they're working on. I responded to their message and they sent the sides last night. I read the first set of sides (I have no idea why they've so much and are also requesting a two minute monologue on top of that) and they were cool. The scri…
Stage 32 · 11 Jul 2018
Years ago, I hired a student in NYU's Tisch program. He found actors willing to simply build their portfolio on a site. Does anyone know any sites like that? I'm looking to POSSIBLY start casting for a dramedy of mine, but it would be done on a showstring budget. Any suggestions on websites to find these actors?
Reddit · 11 Jul 2018
Hollywood, for instance, is a vast business, with few actors as "top names", surrounded by the lesser known names, supported by the "nobodies"... How does one move up in this ranking system? How many of us around the world put all our hopes on the chance of living a "Cinderella" type of story? Or do you, in time, feel…
Reddit · 11 Jul 2018
I'm really interested in doing the Shakespeare intensive summer course at RADA next year (this year's already sold out) and I was wondering if anyone on this has done the course themselves/knows anyone who had? Honestly, I know it sounds stupid, but Shakespearian acting isn't necessarily the route I want to go down, bu…
Reddit · 11 Jul 2018
I am getting my first ever headshots taken sometime next week and i am curious since I am just starting out as an actor whats the necessary headshots needed to be taken. Thank you in advance!
Reddit · 11 Jul 2018
## Hi! ## I apologize in advance for this lengthy post. I also have it posted in r/entertainment for advice from non-actors. ## Cutting to right to the chase - I am an aspiring actor living in LA and have been living in this city for a couple years now. I am in a “situation” within the entertainment industry that I wou…
Reddit · 11 Jul 2018
Hi /r/acting, I've been very fortunate to have been offered representation by two agencies, but am knee deep in the process of overthinking everything! Wondering if anyone's around just to cast a pair of fresh eyes over the info I've gathered and offer whatever input they have - I think I'm getting bogged down in tryin…
Reddit · 11 Jul 2018
Please feel free to ask any question at all related to acting, no matter how simple. There will be no judgements on questions posted here. Everyone starts somewhere. So ask away!
Reddit · 11 Jul 2018
You guys have been SOOO helpful. I have never had formal training (not even school plays), so this subreddit, YouTube and online articles have been my teachers. Thanks to all the actors and coaches out there for the insight you offer to new actors
Reddit · 11 Jul 2018
Hi, Needing advice. Love my manager. But he really is just an agent. Gets me auditions. I give him 20 percent when I book a job. This is his agreed upon commission fee for all his actors. He takes agency fee from client as well as 20 % from me. I’ve had no issue and happy to do this for years. Freelanced for years. Not…
Stage 32 · 10 Jul 2018
Hey there, I’m an aspiring actor like a lot of us here, but this goes out to anyone with any bit of experience. I adore spontaneity and meeting strangers, face to face communication is a godsend for me. Where might someone like me run into just the right kind of people who can help me keep going? Actors? Producers? Scr…
Reddit · 10 Jul 2018
I've yet to try submitting on places like Actors Access yet. Haven't seen much with roles I fit yet. Do places like AA ever post bigger name projects like Netflix/Amazon originals, feature films, etc.? Or is it basically a requirement to have an agent to ever get a shot at auditioning for those types of projects?
Reddit · 10 Jul 2018
Does summer usually slow down for everyone? I typically get casting calls from a Casting Director during the week because I'm on their list of actors they look at first for jobs. They're usually non-union and I don't typically get one everyday, but I haven't heard from them in a month. I'm wondering if it's because sum…
Reddit · 10 Jul 2018
I am starting some classes in film/TV acting but so far all my experience has been in comedy/sketch/improv. They don't see me as a real actor and it sucks. I have taken a few fundamental classes in college, then completed all of UCB, and was performing regularly around town at theaters like iO and Groundlings... but no…
Reddit · 10 Jul 2018
Hi all. Actor's Salon in Los Angeles has a group that meets weekly to set goals and keep each other focused and accountable. I'm thinking of joining, but don't want to spend the $200 a month if it's useless. Has anybody used this program and found it to be effective? Or, used and hated it? Any feedback you may have is…
Stage 32 · 9 Jul 2018
"There is someone in the audience tonight who auditioned me 30 years ago, and told me I was untalented and unphotogenic and I should quit trying to be an actress. Well, 30 years later, here I am, Emmy in hand. I won’t mention your name. But you know who you are. And you WILL be in The Book!" —Rue McClanahan (Emmy Acce…
Stage 32 · 9 Jul 2018
Hello All! I recently moved to LA from NYC ~ I am excited to explore this new city, meet some delightful new humans and enjoy the sunshine!In NYC, I created a collective of creatives (writers/editors/actors/directors) with the aim of working together to tell inspiring stories and create awesome content. Now that I am a…
Reddit · 9 Jul 2018
On feeds she told Rockstar that she did very minimal research prior to entering the game as well. I know recruits typically have a large social media following, are on those ‘ actor’websites, or have auditioned for other CBS shows..so how was Sam found? It’s pretty obvious she didn’t apply herself.
Reddit · 9 Jul 2018
Hey everyone, Firstly I wanted to say thank you to everyone apart of this community. This career choice can be incredibly daunting at times and knowing these is always support really means a lot. I just graduated from drama school about 3 weeks ago and I have a lot of questions I think you could help with. \- Being in…
Reddit · 9 Jul 2018
I want to make people happy. I really feel like that's what I'm supposed to do with my life, and I want it to happen. However, I don't want to waste four years of my life pursuing a dream that will end up being Just a distraction from an actual career. It seems like everyone wants to be famous nowadays, so I feel like…
Reddit · 9 Jul 2018
Im personally not a big fan of method acting but it seems to be the most mainstream technique, is there any other useful techniques? Of so would you mind sharing what exactly they might entail?
Reddit · 9 Jul 2018
Most acting coaches teach about analyzing your script and breaking it up into “beats”. What does this mean? For me, I prefer to use the word “tactics”. These are ways your character attempts to achieve his or her “objective” in the scene. Your objective is what your character desires to achieve with the other character…